Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
You do seem amazingly self disciplined to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
Thanks for stopping by my journal, Lola. I'm pleased that you've enjoyed it. I love reading journals of people who are going through the same steps I am. It really helps.

It's funny that you should mention self-discipline, though. I do not feel like a disciplined person, but I think that JUDDD has improved mine. I don't need discipline to follow it, because every day is a 'start-over'. However, I CAN now wait until tomorrow for things, so I guess I am getting better.

The only way I have gotten through the SNAP challenge, though, is to pray, and focus on the emotional reasons I am doing this. I would never make it on a deprivation diet for DIET reasons, though. Weight loss is just not worth it. (Though, of course, I am going to revel in every extra pound I have dropped during this. Full report tomorr0w.)

Zipp- mind over matter, right? If only my mind were a little stronger!
I doubt that I could muster the strength of will required to get through the DDs and am I am not as fine a person as you who has willingly subjected yourself to the deprivations of living on the SNAP diet simply motivated by your generous and loving nature. I do admire you.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
Woohoo! I made it!

SNAP Challenge accomplished.

This has been a long seven days.

I've learned a lot.

First, it is really hard to feed yourself in all the ways we are accustomed to on $4.50/day. Nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, joyfully, creatively.

I think I did okay nutritionally. I had plenty of protein every day, which is the most important for me. Adequate fats. A good amount of vegetables. But to get these things, variety was sacrificed. And quantity, a little.

I woke up hungry every morning. That is not usual for me, even now that I am 'dieting'. I was hungry often throughout the day, and I went to bed hungry a few times.

Also, I think it is important for me to remember that I was JUDDDing during this. If I had had to divide my food over seven days, instead of four, it would have really been much harder. Although, I could have had kombucha every day, and not just on my Down Days! There's always a silver lining.

Emotionally....well, I guess I am a big baby. I want to be able to comfort eat, and carrots just doesn't cut it. I want to be able to make meals that make me smile, and don't just put macronutrients into my stomach. I DON'T want to have to worry about not having enough food at the end of the week.

Speaking of which...Leftover at the end of this week I have:
$0.15
3 carrots
1/2 bottle of mayo with lime
1 apple
I ate everything else.

Spiritually, my prayers changed over this week. I asked for (and got) a lot of help. I feel closer to people living on the edge. I am so grateful for the abundance in my life.

Joyfully, creatively, I am really looking forward to cooking my 'real' menu this week. Having what I want, when I want it. Knowing that if I am putting it off, it is because I want to, not because I am afraid I will run out. Getting all the little extras, the sauces, the cream, the little bit of crunch to finish off the meal. Oh, yeah. I'm looking forward to food again!

Surprises: I like that cabbage soup. I'm going to make more. And the stir-fry was excellent.

Strangely, I was not expecting my weight to go down (any more than usual). Looking at my menu ahead of time, I thought I was getting plenty to eat. Apparently not. My usual reduction in a week is 1-2 pounds. The challenge encompassed seven days, and I usually count my weight after my Up Day. So, from my 'up weight' before (174.0) to after (169.0) was 5 pounds. From my 'down weight' before (172.0) to after (166.5) was 5.5 pounds. An average of 5.25 pounds, considerably more than my normal.

I even went down in weight after the first two Up Days, which was alarming to me. I made a conscious effort to eat more (hello, carrots) my next two Up Days. I would NOT do this to lose weight. It was too uncomfortable.

Even though today is a Down Day, I am expecting to eat more than my standard 420. And to really enjoy it!

Thanks, All, for your support. It is nice to have people cheering you on.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Lola, you are just making me blush. Thank you for your kind words.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #214
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Hello, you still out there?????????????
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Checking back in

I am still around. Life just got crazy there, for a while. Best part of it was a visit from Middlest, for her Fall Break.

The worst part of it was my SNAP challenge hangover. After restricting myself for just a week, I already felt a lot of emotion food issues vis a vis entitlement, rising to the surface. I found myself eating a lot of foods just because I COULD, and not from real hunger, or even pleasure. No wonder it is so easy for people on limited budgets to go crazy for the cheap treats. I would, too.

I think that is back under control, but I'll be watching myself.

I had some problems with Down Days, as in, not enough of them. But I am getting back into rotations, and feeling pretty good. My pants are still nice and loose, but I have given up on making my weight goal for Halloween, in fact, I am not even weighing myself right now. I don't want to see a depressingly high number, when I know it will be down soon enough. I'll just have a blank spot on my weight chart. Maybe I will fill it in with happy stickers.

Yesterday I broke my road trip at Black-Eyed Pea to wait out a rainstorm, and had their ribs, turnip greens, and cinnamon apples. Those greens were FANTASTIC! Makes me want to cook up a huge batch this week.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #216
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Glad to hear from you Sirtain! How nice to have that visit with your daughter.

Our Black Eyed Peas went out of business here, and I miss them! So good.
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Two good Down Days under my belt, and I am feeling good.

I am looking into the 4-Day Rotation diet. Not as a replacement to JUDDD, but an addition. It is a method of dealing with possible food sensitivities. I heard about it, just casually, in Dr. Terry Wahl's book, 'Minding My Mitochondria'. There is a TED talk of the same name which is EXCELLENT. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It is 17 minutes long, and well worth you time.

Anyhow, the gist of the 4-day thing, is that you only have a particular TYPE of food every four days. This allows it to completely get through your system( energy-wise and waste-wise) before you have another exposure to it. This helps you pinpoint sensitivities, reduce the likelihood of developing new ones, and possibly, be able to eventually handle small amounts of things you are presently sensitive to.

I have these intestinal pains, which I've been dealing with(the reason I began JUDDD). They are slowly getting better, but are still plaguing me. This may be the next step in figuring them out.

The fun/crazy part of this, is that you really have to plan and record. The groups, or 'families' are by animal or botanical type. Beef meat and milk are in one family, then pork, crustaceans, fresh-water fish, and so on. There's a lily family, that has asparagus, leek, chive, onion, garlic. If you eat ONE item from a family, you can't have it or ANY OTHER ITEM FROM THE FAMILY for the next four days.

So, I got a huge piece of paper, drew a chart, and am getting my post-its ready. I have an exuberant love of office supplies, so although part of this is tedious, I am really loving it!

One sad aspect is that I will only be able to enjoy my kombucha once every four days. And after just getting to the point where I am making enough to have a bottle each day! Fate has a funny sense of humor. Oh, well, I guess I'll really be able to splurge when I DO have it.

I'm trying to figure out how long a reasonable trial of this method will be. Usually, I say three weeks to new things. But three weeks would only be five 'cycles'. Somehow, my mind is telling me that is not enough. But 21 'cycles', 84 days, sounds crazy to me. Although, if it works, I might be doing it long-term, so I don't know why, just a mind thing, I guess. Maybe 5 weeks. 35 days, round up to 36, equals 9 cycles. I think I can handle that mental image.

Okay, that's what's new in my life. Off to check on everyone else!
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #218
Big Yapper!!!!

That sounds really interesting Sirtain. I'll be interested in hearing your observations as you go through the cycles. I'm curious about exactly how you will eat each day. Are there "neutral" foods that you can have all the time, or are you really eating just beef all day one day, etc?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
Very interesting Sirtain. I have heard this is the best way to find out your food sensitivities. Good luck, girl!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Today is a Goosefoot-Rose Day

Seriously, how can you not love names like that?

The goosefoot family includes spinach, beets, kale, thistle, and clove. The rose family has apples, pears, and quince.

So for my Down Day today I will be having a green smoothie made with kale, spinach, beet, apple, and pear. And some kippers.

Apparently(still learning) the only neutral item is salt.

I don't eat just one item per day, but if I have something from the beef family(meat,milk, cheese, butter) on Day One, I can't have anything else from the family for the next four days.

Yesterday I had pork, so for my cooking fats I used bacon grease. If I had used butter, that would have meant no bacon grease OR butter the next four days. So, grouping like with like each day, essentially.

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I am getting TIRED of these pains. If this helps me figure them out, it will be so worth it.

The trickiest thing so far seems to be the spices. Who would have thought cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and anise are spread over four different families? I guess it will keep my on my toes.

A really nice Up Day yesterday, with bacon, bratwurst, pumpkin custard, and asparagus as the highlights.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

I'm thinking instead of saying I eat 'low-carb' I should start saying I eat 'normal-carb'. Our ideas of what is high-low-normal are so skewed.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #222

OH girl, Today's a DD? Or it is an UP day?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #223
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'm thinking instead of saying I eat 'low-carb' I should start saying I eat 'normal-carb'. Our ideas of what is high-low-normal are so skewed.
I think you are so right on this!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Today(Monday) is an Up Day for me. I'm having rabbit for dinner! I have only had it once before. It was good, but it is just not a common food in the U.S., so I never picked it up again. But doing this rotation is going to make me stretch myself. I think I should hunt around for venison, too. Too bad I don't have any hunter friends.

Oh, and kale is NOT a goosefoot, it is a mustard.

I cooked my turkey this morning in butter, had yogurt, and am putting cream in with the rabbit sauce. That will be my dairy for this cycle. No more until at least Friday, and I already have my eyes on ice-cream! I will need to save my grass family(sugar from cane) for that day, too.

Taking a lesson from my SNAP challenge, I am being careful to eat things I really like. I do not want to feel deprived, only patient. Thank you JUDDD, for teaching me how to wait. I have gotten pretty good at telling myself that I can wait, and have that tomorrow. Now I am just stretching it out a bit.

Off to my 'normal-carb' life! Which right now, means washing the dishes.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love rabbit. It is not easy to get in the states though. It is so common in Europe. Once you eat rabbit you will never miss chicken again. At least that's how I feel I love it marinated in some yogurt, ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander and EVOO overnight. Next day I cook some onions and tomatoes till brown and add the rabbit and cook on very low heat for 1.5 hrs. Absolutely delicious stew. I love it with some spaghetti squash or cauliflower "rice"

I so agree on the normal carb thing. SAD is so high in carbs that is mind blowing

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 10-22-2013 at 02:13 AM..
Old 10-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Ooh, I'll have to try that way of cooking it next time. It is going to enter our rotation on a regular basis, I think. No more chicken for a while(For me- Littlest and Honey will still have chicken wings. Can't beat that for an easy dinner.)

My Down Day today means indulging in kombucha. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #227

I am not a fan of rabbit. I will let you all eat it!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Now that I've had Thumper, next on the list...Bambi!

The first time I ever had venison, it was in Germany. I asked what it was, but didn't understand the German word, so my host thought for a while, then proudly said, 'Bambi!'..

Bambi is delicious.

I was hungry yesterday evening(stayed up later than usual) and weighed in at 169.0 (down 3.5 pounds, a larger than usual swing) this morning. Totally worth it!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #229

OK I can't do deer meat either!

Great whoosh for you! Way to go girl!!!!!!! CLAIM IT
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awesome whoosh

I also like Bambi
Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Sometimes you just gotta let it out!

Someone was posting about choosing toast with peanut butter instead of a chocolate donut. It was a general thread, so my comment did not seem appropriate for it, but I still want to say it. Yay for journals!

(Also, I didn't want to come across as a complete meanie. The poster is fairly new, and having a arguing-type comment to your post can be harsh.)

Here are the macros on a chocolate donut:
25C
3P
13F

And one slice of toast with 1T peanut butter:
25.5C
7.5P
9.5F

In spite of the slightly greater protein, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile swap to me. Those carbs in the bread (we are on a low carb forum, after all) are going to get you. And sadly, there is increased evidence that being 'whole-grain' does not provide much health benefit when weighed against the harsh things grain can do to you.

For me, I am going to be glad that toast or grains of any type rarely sings its siren song to me anymore.

And eat my peanut butter off the spoon!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sirtain, ITA- I have been off grains for over 10 years and don't miss them at all. Whole grain or not, it is just a filler and bad for almost everyone!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #233
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
And eat my peanut butter off the spoon!!!
You're my kind of gal!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

When Eldest was on the swim team during high school, he would come home, head straight for the peanut butter jar, and, using a SERVING SPOON, scoop out about 3/4 of a cup of peanut butter to have as a 'quick snack'!

At least I just use a table spoon.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #235

OH to have a teenage metabolism!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #236
Big Yapper!!!!

I've been spotted with a spatula, scraping out every little bit of goodness in the jar!

I suddenly realized that sounds like I ate the whole jar! No no no! Just when the jar is almost empty. Really.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #237
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I love nut butters and I'm trying to figure out a good base for them. Although I can eat nut butter from the spoon, it doesn't satisfy me like it would "on" something. I don't need bread or crackers, but celery and peanut butter isn't especially appealing. Although I would eat that too. What are some other ideas, besides apple (which I like too)?

Enjoying reading your journal, Sirtain. By the way, it looks as if you haven't sworn off sugar completely. Is that right?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Oh, peanut butter by the spoonful, on celery and apple slices, wonderful organic crunchy peanut butter, how I love you...but not the lbs. you added to my frame. Definitely, sadly, one of the reasons I expanded.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #239
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I hear ya, Lola. I definitely don't need anything to add to my daily calories either lol, but I'm buying some more cashew butter asap! It's been months since I've had any nut butter at all.

Sirtain: Can you describe the taste of kombucha? How do you make it, and what have you found to be it's benefits? You can give a link if you've already done this somewhere.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 10-25-2013 at 04:21 AM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Banana would be nice with nut butter.