Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH Girl, take YOUR plan at YOUR speed. It isn't a race between you and him. MEN they lose so much more easily. You are doing great. Keep up the good work!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
A Rough Down Day

I had some period-induced cravings yesterday. I had to resort to a whole batch of diet-jello with extra gelatin, but I managed to stay away from the chocolate(mostly by reminding myself I could have it on Wednesday!) and only go a little over my Down Day calories.

I claim victory!

Especially since, after I ate the first thing I had not planned- some Swiss cheese- I didn't go hog wild. It is amazing that telling yourself you can eat whatever you want TOMORROW, really works.

It hasn't worked in the past, but that was because I didn't really mean it. I was supposed to tell myself to get past the hump, and then not really indulge the next day, but use my newly strengthen will power to resist again.

Well, this time I MEAN it!

I CAN have the chocolate today.

But what I wanted this morning was a pork chop and fried eggs. So I had that.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #33

Trust your gut! (literally) You can do this. Keep on going girl!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Going too fast?

Well, I don't know that I can post in the Slow Losers thread anymore: I might irk them. My weight is jumping down. Naturally, with my over-active imagination, I start wondering if it is is healthy. Maybe I'm sick. What if I have cancer? Oh, no!

Then I tell myself, 'It's an average of 2 pounds per week. Look at those weeks where you just went up and down. You'll be back to that soon, and complaining about it. Calm down.'

Getting together with friends for games today. The last time we did, I ate too many carby snacks, and felt off afterwards. I am planning ahead this time- bringing my own protein-centric snacks (beef slices rolled around cream cheese and chutney) and dessert(coconut chocolate pots). I will eat NO chips, NO nuts. That way lies madness!

Looking forward to posting my week's numbers soon, for the amazement of all. I am almost to the 20 pound mark! And yesterday, two people told me I look like I have lost weight.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

No Chips, at Least

I DID have nuts. Aggravated with myself, but there it is. I had my food all packed up and ready to go, then I forgot to bring the chicken! So, I decided to eat my meat/cheese roll-ups as my lunch, but that meant no 'snacky' foods for during games. So...I ate pistachios.

I could have refrained, but I didn't.

I also ate way more potato salad than I intended.

Sigh.

I would have rather overeaten chicken.

Oh, well. At least it took care of the 'am I losing weight too quickly' worry.

Last night when Honey was speaking with his mom, I heard him mention that we were doing ADF. So I asked him if she had any comment about it. Not really, he said, why? I told him some people on the forums have been getting flack about it being unhealthy, an eating disorder, etc.

He mentioned that the main reaction he has been getting is that people find it impossible to believe that someone could NOT EAT for a day and survive. Many will remark that they have to eat every few hours or they feel weak. He finds it amazing that people think they couldn't make it for just one day. (He does a total fast on his Down Days. I have done that too, and actually find it easier than eating just a little.)

Interesting what power our minds have over us.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I think you did great Sirtain. Nuts are way better than chips or popcorn or candy, etc. And good for you for your losses speeding up! That's great!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #37

Sirtain, if it is working for you, she shouldn't question it! People seem to always have opinions on OTHERS stuff. You are doing great!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Weekly update

Thanks, LCG and Zipp!

I got my chicken this morning. It tasted just as good as it would have on Sunday.

Yesterday was an interesting Down Day. I only ate twice, and my calories were very low. It was mostly protein(38K total). I just ran out of time. I was busy, and out of the house, and not hungry enough to make eating a priority. Really, a great Down Day. Some of them I have to struggle not to be thinking about food. This one, it just didn't even enter my mind.

I do think the high protein Down Days make it easier. I will keep them up.

Here are my numbers for the last week. I am glad the radical dip came in the middle, and I am now at a reasonable loss, not a scary one. I don't want to have to be worrying about losing too fast.

186.5 5/7
184.5 5/8
185.5 5/9
183.5 5/10
184.0 5/11
182.0 5/12
186.0 5/13
184.5 5/14

I guess half a pound down is more comfortable to me mentally than three pounds. Maybe this will change.

And I don't know how much my pains/IBS issue (getting better all the time, though!) plays into this. I'm alert to anything that would indicate SOMETHING WRONG inside, and rapid weight loss is one of those things. Maybe my brain can't accept that I can lose weight quickly, based on past experience!

That said, and contradictorily, I still have these little fantasy sessions where I plan how quickly I would be at goal if I released two pounds per week. Three pounds! And maybe a couple of four-pounders in there, too!

How silly.

Making cookies right now for Middlest's party. Chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal raisin cookies. I have set aside a small amount of butter/sugar mixture. I'm going to throw in some coconut flour, flaked coconut, raisins, and dark chocolate chips and make one little cookie just for me!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Strange things

First, I have had two Down Days where I do not get up to my 420K, more like 320.

Second, this morning I was down in weight after an Up Day. That doesn't happen too often.

They could be related. It may be complete coincidence.

I think I will need to watch that I don't PURPOSELY push my Down Days too low, though. At least at this point. I think it is fine if it happens naturally (which these two did-just too busy/not hungry enough to eat) but if I start seeing 'how low can I go' I think I might set myself up for some retaliatory over-feeds.

Tomorrow, on my Up Day, I will be on the road. This is messing with my eating plans. It will have to be food I can pack or food at a restaurant. Since I am watching my pennies, I can't splurge at a nice place. I want to avoid 'munching' in the car, and have real meals. All these things together will be a challenge.

Honey Update: He is now at a total loss of 15 pounds. He's looking good! Seven more and he will be at his first goal, where he's thinking of maintaining for a while.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #40

That is great for both of you. Traveling somewhere fun?? Mindless eating in the car is tough!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Post-weekend Update

Saturday was a disappointing Up Day. The food was just standard, nothing great. I was driving Middlest down for a college visit. Up and down Highway 35, not very exciting(Which is good: exciting travel usually means a disaster! I'll take boring.) TOO MUCH time in the car. I think I'm recovered now, though. I am certainly looking forward to my food today.

A good point: although I overate on Saturday, trying to find that 'satisfaction' that my food choices were lacking, I had a completely normal Down Day yesterday. There was no sense of 'I was cheated, must have yummy food today to make up for it'. Instead, I just told myself that my next Up Day would be great.

I consider that a win.

Middlest is giving 5:2 a try. I hope it goes well for her. She had a hard time just wanting to eat yesterday, not being hungry, especially.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Two in a row

Of Up Days that didn't fulfill my dreams. And I went out for sashimi, on this one! But they didn't have the fish I particularly like, and I ended up eating fruit and a bbq rib, and some chicken teriyaki instead.

Fail!

And some serious bloating as well.

I'm hoping to enjoy my food a little more today.

Yesterday's Down Day was below calories again (300 instead of 420). When I remember how difficult eating 'just a little' instead of nothing was, when I started JUDDD, just over two months ago, I am amazed. And it didn't even feel like restriction yesterday- it seemed like plenty!

Here are my numbers for the past week. I am creeping up on 180. I am going to be so excited when I hit it for the first time! And then to be bouncing around it, when not so long ago, I was bouncing around 190! Loving it!

186.6 5/15
183.5 5/16
183.0 5/17
184.0 5/18
184.5 5/19
182.5 5/20
186.0 5/21
182.0 5/22

I am not so alarmed by the 182 this time. And not worried by that 186 at all. I can tell it is bloat from all the fruit.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Checking back in

I've been very busy lately, and not able to get my usual amount of internet time, but I'm still JUDDDing.

Had a slip on a Down Day last week, turning it into a Medium Day(not sure exactly, I didn't add up the calories), but was able to get back into my rotation without any problems.

Still on track to keep going down at least my one pound per week average. I am starting to get excited about meeting my goal(179) by Independence Day.

My Down Days are getting lower in calories. I find I am just not thinking about getting the calories in, and then near the end of the day, I'll think, why bother, I'll just eat in the morning.

THIS IS ROCKIN' AWESOME!

It has been leaching over to my Up Day habits, too. Although I am eating well on Up Days(not counting on Up Days, so I'm not sure of numbers, but no fears, I eat A LOT!) I am not OVER eating. Example: I had planned for some ice cream a few Up Days ago, but never got around to it. Last night, our dinner out on our Up Day turned out to not be as relaxing as I had hoped. I thought, 'I'll go by Braum's and have that ice cream I wanted earlier, as a treat.' My brain was thinking I deserved one, since the dinner had its issues. But my stomach convinced me that it was full, and the ice cream would taste so much better when I was empty enough to enjoy it. So...no ice cream last night. And I am fine with it today. Looking forward to having it tomorrow.

I'm off for the weekend, starting tomorrow afternoon, so I'll check back in next week. Ciao!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #44

Have a great weekend!!!!! Sounds like you are truly wrapping your head around the rotations!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Back in the saddle after a weekend away

I managed my Down Day on Friday, then slipped and fell into an Up, Up and Away Day on Sunday. I think because although I ate well on Saturday, I didn't get what I was craving (cheesecake). Well, it still wasn't available on Sunday, but somehow that didn't stop me from eating m&ms, raisinettes, a grilled cheese sandwich, and a couple of ice cream bars. Ugh.

Had a normal Up Day on Monday, just tried to get in lots of good protein. Also made sure to have the cheesecake I wanted. (What kind of hotel with 4 restaurants doesn't have cheesecake at any of them?) Then yesterday, the blessing of a Down Day at home. I stayed within my calories (just under, actually), got good protein and vegetables, with a little fat. I feel much better mentally. I'm having a normal Up Day today, and looking forward to another normal Down Day tomorrow.

Later this month I am having another long weekend away from home. I'll need to use what I learned from this one to make better plans. Number one, I think, will be to do everything possible to get the treat I WANT on my Up Day. Being too full for it and passing is one thing, but wanting it, and being denied is quite another. I think I will try to be the driver, so that I can leave and get anything I want/need. This last time I was somewhat stranded. I walked 80" roundtrip to get the girls their milk, but by the time I was wanting cheesecake, it was dark out, and that was no longer a (safe) option.

My Honey is closing in on his first goal (170). I think he will be solidly there within the next two weeks. He's considering maintaining there for a while before continuing with the weight loss.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Smoothies

A book caught my eye at the library: The Overnight Diet by Caroline Apovian. Mostly because of the blurb on the cover: Lose up to Two Pounds Overnight. It made me laugh, because I can easily lose that overnight- it's nothing special.

But I looked into it, and one of the features of the diet is having a smoothie day once per week. It reminded me that one of our original reasons for getting the Vita-Mix was to make green smoothies.

So, I've tried out some of the recipes in the book. They are pretty good. I have incorporated 1/2 smoothie into my Down Days. Perhaps just coincidence, but my last two Down Days have shown great leaps downward. 4 pounds the first time, 2.5 pounds the second. I like it.

My Down Days have been taking me into the 170s for the first time in years. Very excited that soon I will be hitting them after my Up Days, too. My friends have noticed that I am losing weight. I was low-key about it, just said, 'yes, I've been working on it, thank you,' but inside I was exulting! Thank you, new jeans. I'm sure wearing the non-baggy ones made them notice. I tend to schlump around in baggy clothes for physical and mental comfort, but it is easier to wear form-fitting things when you're not so lumpy.

I have made a good recovery from my UUAD last weekend. Back into my rotation without any struggle, and hitting new lows. Yay, JUDDD! I think the ease of getting back into it, is one of JUDDD's strongest points.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #47
Big Yapper!!!!

WTG Sirtain! I've been fascinated with the juicing thing, but have never tried it. I don't own a juicer, and really don't see myself spending the money for a good one anytime soon. But I would love to have one. Maybe I can win one in a contest or something!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #48

How awesome girl! You deserve all the compliments! Keep up the GREAT work!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

LoCarbGal- I whir them up in my Vita-Mix, so I am getting all the fiber, not extracting the juice. I think juice would give me too much of a sugar rush. I ordinarily eat plenty of vegetables, but I have to say, slugging down a smoothie with vegetables in it makes me feel (mentally) super-healthy.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Did you happen to see that special on PBS (Michael Mosely was in it, but it wasn't one of his Horizon shows) called "10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight"? It was made in 2009, before Dr Mosely came across IF and did his "East, Fast, and Live Longer" show or of course his book.

Anyway, they did an experiment where they took a group of military trainees and fed one group a meal with a cup of water, and the other group they fed the same exact foods and water but pureed up into a soup. 2 hours later, the soup group felt fuller and still had more volume of food in the stomachs. The theory was that your stomach immediately drains off the water and starts working on the food, but when the water is blended thoroughly in, it stays in the stomach and provides a more full feeling.

All that to say, I'll bet your blended smoothies do the same thing for you!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

That's very interesting. I need to put that into my toolbox.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #52

Interesting stuff LCG!

How's it going SIRTAIN???
Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Getting there

My weight is inching down, and I am feeling good about reaching my Independence Day goal of 179.

It has been a while since I've posted my numbers, so let me sling those up on the board:

184.5 5/23
186.5 5/24
185.0 5/25
182.0 5/26
181.5 5/27
182.0 5/28
184.0 5/29
181.0 5/30
182.5 5/31
missed 6/1
missed 6/2
183.0 6/3
185.0 6/4
182.0 6/5
183.5 6/6
179.0 6/7
181.5 6/8
178.5 6/9
181.0 6/10
179.0 6/11
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Yeah! You've met your 4th of July goal already? Wonderful!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

No, I've only been hitting 179 after my Down Days. I count after Up Days as my true weight. But I'm getting close!

And 178 will be my halfway point, so these are exciting times.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #56

OH GIRL, you are SO THERE!!!! I bet you can go a few under that too!!!! How exciting, I am so happy for you!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #57

How goes it?
Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

I'm doing well. Had a strange Up Day yesterday: lots of junky food (potato chips!). So I am compensating with a high-protein Down Day today, getting some good food into me. Mostly raw fish. I could eat sashimi every day if my budget and common sense would let me.

Made some crepes for the kids this morning, but wasn't tempted by them. And there's a cheesecake sitting in the fridge, but I am perfectly happy knowing I can have a piece tomorrow.

Next week I have a challenge. I am going to a sewing retreat with friends, Thursday thru Sunday. Thursday is a Down Day and I am confident I can keep it one, but I am still trying to decide my strategy for the rest of the weekend. I'd sort of like to take Saturday off, but I know it would set my weight loss back for a week. Is it worth it? That's what I am asking myself.

I also know that my mind can send me looking for treats if I don't get one which I think I 'deserve'. It might be better to just say, yes, I can have whatever I want, rather than feel 'cheated' and go off track later.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Goal Refinement

Quick recap:

I started at 202 in early March. My plan is to get to 154, and then decide if I want to stay there, or release more weight.

A week or so after I started, my Honey decide to join me. He was around 193. His goals were uncertain, but maybe 160/165. As he started losing, that goal changed to get to 170 and maintain there for a while, both to let me 'catch up' and because he wanted to eat more.

Well, Honey is almost there. He has been 170.5 after the last two Up Days. When he gets there, he's going to switch to a loose maintenance plan of having a Down Day if/when he goes over 170.

I have been working on getting to 179 by Independence Day. (Joined the challenge in the JUDDD thread, and that was what 1 pound per week will get me, from when I started. It is also the lowest I got after my first big low-carb attempt, years ago. After 179, it will all be virgin territory!) And 178 will be my halfway between 202 and 154 weight.

166 will be halfway between 178 and 154, and I am thinking that will be the point at which I would like to stop and maintain for a while, knowing that I will go lower after a bit. I'm thinking it will be good practice, and it will also give my body time to readjust itself. Although my Honey's weight-loss has slowed down these past weeks (driving him crazy) I can SEE that his weight is shifting. I know he must be losing fat and gaining (more) muscle. Though I hardly know how- he is already VERY muscular.

I'd like to give my body the same opportunity.

Also, (and I'm anticipating here) I don't want to get any, 'don't lose too much' comments. I know I will still be overweight, and logically, I shouldn't. And maybe it is just wishful thinking. But I also know that it takes a while for people to get used to weight-loss in their friends. If I stayed at the same weight for a while, they could acclimitize.

At the pound per week rate, I will get to 168 around September 21st. I do not want to be maintaining during the holiday season. I think that would set me up for GAINING. But seven weeks of maintenance, until just before Thanksgiving, sounds like a good idea to me.

Of course, I have no idea what kind of ADF/JUDDD would equal maintenance for me. I have a vague idea that 5:2 would do it. We'll see.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #60

A lot of people do 5:2 for maintenance and others just keep doing EOD rotations. I think there's one girl that does EOD rotations and keeps DD's low and her up days are like 3000c. I can't even imagine that....but I am sure I could easlily do it!