Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #451
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
OH so glad to see you back!!!! Let us know how things are!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #452
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Good to see you back! Was it a good break?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #453
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
It was! I was creeping into some bad internet habits, checking the forums again and again during the day. Cutting myself off completely gave me a good reset. Sort of like a Down Day.

I am still playing around with my foods, to see which sensitivities I might have. I will be trying hard cheese next. Cream was a sad and miserable failure, but apparently it is one of the trickier dairy items. So I am starting at the other end of the spectrum. I will be trying it on Friday.

Weight is hanging around between 156-159. At first I was very excited about being so close to 154. But that passed. Now I am more focused on figuring out the sensitivities. i will get to 154 when I get there. No rushing.

I made another batch of the vegetable and meat soup that I ate so freely of last fall, while I was doing my SNAP challenge. I was giving a talk about the experience to some Girl Scouts, and it reminded me how good that soup was. I think it might eventually be a good Down Day food, when I transition to more eating days. I am having some more tomorrow on my Up Day, and am already looking forward to it. There's nothing like a big bowl of hearty soup.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #454
Major LCF Poster!

The soup was yummy.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #455

OH I love soup on a DD! LOVE IT! Warm/filling! What is your recipe???
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

I saute onion and celery in lard, until soft. Then add carrot, and saute five more minutes, before tossing in a can of diced tomatoes and half a head of shredded cabbage, with enough homemade broth to cover. Let it do a slow boil for about half an hour, then throw in little bits of ground pork/sausage. Let simmer for about an hour, then toss in chopped parsley and celery tops.

Very basic, but I love it. And of course, easy to vary according to any extra vegetables that are on hand. The longer it sits in the fridge, the better it gets.

I'm having a good Down Day today. The cafe I was meeting my friend at did NOT have any of the items I had pre-selected from their online menu, but I was able to pause, and think, and come up with a good option (peach iced tea). My friend was concerned that I might need food, but I was able to assure her that I was fine without it. And meant it! Sipped on the iced tea for 2 1/2 hours, and felt happy and satisfied.

I will be switching my rotation this weekend, in preparation for a weekend of eating NEXT weekend. My plan is to do a regular Down Day on Saturday, and have a vegetation-only Moderate Day on Sunday, before swinging back into an Up Day.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #457

OH Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! that is a successful DD out with a friend!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #458
Major LCF Poster!

It's all information

My cheese trial did not go well.

At first, I thought I was doing fine. The 3-hour mark passed, then the 4:40-mark(the danger points for eggs and cream).

But, no.

Six hours in, things started happening in my gut. Very uncomfortable things. I was hunched in the bathroom for quite a while.

But I am starting to feel grateful for the shock I received with the eggs. I will be sad not to have dairy. But I am not staggering around and crying, like I was with eggs. That experience opened me up to the idea that something I love might be messing with me. I was actually able to think(and mean it) last night that it is better to KNOW that dairy is messing with me. Now I have more information that will hopefully help me heal.

(And it might not be forever. I will hold to that small hope.)

So, I guess I am full-on paleo now, not primal. I will figure it out.

The interesting thing with this elimination/reintroduction technique, is how it 'clears you out' so that when an offender is added back in, it is VERY obvious. I am thinking of it like this: when I was bombarding my system with offenders, it was unhappy, but it acclimitized. It did what it could, but things were so bad, that it couldn't over-react to every offender I put in my system, or I just would have collapsed.

Now, my body is healing up, and when an offender enters into the system, it has the attention and energy to jump on it right away, and send the signals that this is bad stuff.

I am also using my experience with cramps/contractions as an analogy. The reason those cramps can hurt so much, is now my body knows what it is doing. It is good at pushing stuff out when called upon to do so. It's just me, being effective!

So, anyhow, no more dairy for the forseeable future. I think I may even drop ghee.

Once I recover from this, I will try the egg yolks. But am I really interested in trying peanut/soy/corn/wheat? Nope. I guess finding the amount of sugar I can handle will be next after that. And also, if cane sugar(grass) is worse that date or coconut or maple sugars. Although, I suppose knowing a bit of soy sauce with my sashimi wasn't going to throw me for a loop would be a good piece of information to have.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #459
Big Yapper!!!!

You really are so patient in going through this whole procedure. I'm glad it is revealing some answers for you. Once you have run through everything and know what to eliminate, you're going to feel SO much better!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #460
Major LCF Poster!

A hard ending to yesterday. I was doing a water-only Down Day, and not having much trouble with it. Then I received some sad news about a friend of my daughter's. Emotions were definitely pushing me to eat after that. Luckily, I have the habit of fasting now. I did keep thinking, "I want to eat", but I also knew I could just wait until the next day--it wasn't going to kill me.

And funny, but I didn't realize until I was starting to write this morning, that I was wanting to eat because I was sad. The news IS sad, it is perfectly normal to be sad, and yet somehow I didn't connect my food desires with my mood. I have been doing it(suppressing emotion with food) so long, that it didn't even occur to me what was happening.

Well, today, if I am wanting to crazy-eat, I will make an effort to tell myself, "It is okay to be sad."

The plan for today, since I am using this weekend to switch rotations, is to have a Fruit and Veg Only Medium Day. Once I take Middlest to the bus station(she had to come home for the sad situation), I am planning a large cabbage-mushroom-carrot-celery-zucchini stirfry. Then later a green smoothie. I have an apple for snacking, and I may end the day with a fruit smoothie.

Tomorrow will be a regular Up Day.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #461
Major LCF Poster!

Whew! I got a little crazy with the fruit. Grapes are nothing but trouble! I will consider it a carb-refeed day. It wasn't a good day for smoothies, as it was so cold. I should have made a big pot of soup, instead. But I confess to being a real soup snob. I want it to simmer for a while, and preferably sit overnight, to develop the flavors. Nothing quick about soup in my house.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #462
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi Sirtain I just read all your journal. You have done great. Keep up the good plan. You have it all figured out. Judy
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #463

SIrtain, we are soup snobs too. We made a HUGE pot of chicken/brocc soup on Saturday. Simmered the whole chicken most of the day, then pulled it apart and then put it all back in, then added veggies. I had a bowl Saturday, only because I was cold and it was a DD. Today the soup is much better. Love warm/hot soup on a cold DD~
Old 03-04-2014, 05:17 AM   #464
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Windy. It is gratifying to find something that actually works for me. It can be a real blow to your self esteem to try plan after plan, always be failing, and start feeling like it is YOU.

I need to extend this to other aspects of my life.

I did lamb stock over the weekend, letting it simmer for three days. Planning on having some, warmed, today on my Down Day. yum, yum, yum!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #465

OH that sounds interesting. I have never had LAMB!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #466
Big Yapper!!!!

Ooh, lamb broth sounds good. I love a good leg of lamb for Easter, but it's gotten so expensive I haven't done it in several years.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #467
Major LCF Poster!

I love lamb. We usually just have chops, but once in a while a roast or stew is fantastic. Stew will be coming up on our menu soon, as we eat our way through our freezer.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #468
Major LCF Poster!

One year with Alternate Day Fasting

I began JUDDD on March 5th, 2013. Here I am, a year later, still doing it, and enjoying it. Having success. Feeling like it is no big deal. Wow. Such a change for me.

My starting weight (on March 7th, after one rotation, so it may have been a little higher, but this is what I am going with) was 202.

This morning I was 153. Granted, after a Down Day, when I usually measure after an Up Day, but since this is an OCCASION, I will make an exception.

That's 49 pounds down in 52 weeks. That covers birthdays, and stressful times, and holidays, and slips. Amazing.

Mentally, I feel in control of my eating, and much more aware of my remaining bad habits. I still have slips, but they are no big deal, and I am able to get right back to it, instead of struggling for days-weeks-months. And I don't beat myself up about it. This is the biggest change. I feel it has really CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER.

I am still struggling with the health problem that brought me to JUDDD, but it is slowly getting better. I have had to do a food elimination diet, to figure some of it out, and what I have learned through doing JUDDD is making it possible for me to do some serious stuff that I don't think I would have been able to do before.

I mean, no eggs, no dairy! That's a serious hardship for me. But I am getting through it, because JUDDD has changed my relationship with food. I never expected that, but I am so grateful.

I have met some wonderful people on this forum. Thank you for all your support and advice. You make the journey fun!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #469
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy JUDDDiversary, Sirtain! What a milestone, and you have done so amazingly well, and are basically at your goal! I'm so happy for you, girl!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #470
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohcmb
Stats: 205/191/160
Start Date: 2014 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtain View Post
I began JUDDD on March 5th, 2013. Here I am, a year later, still doing it, and enjoying it. Having success. Feeling like it is no big deal. Wow. Such a change for me.

My starting weight (on March 7th, after one rotation, so it may have been a little higher, but this is what I am going with) was 202.

This morning I was 153. Granted, after a Down Day, when I usually measure after an Up Day, but since this is an OCCASION, I will make an exception.

That's 49 pounds down in 52 weeks. That covers birthdays, and stressful times, and holidays, and slips. Amazing.

Mentally, I feel in control of my eating, and much more aware of my remaining bad habits. I still have slips, but they are no big deal, and I am able to get right back to it, instead of struggling for days-weeks-months. And I don't beat myself up about it. This is the biggest change. I feel it has really CHANGED MY LIFE FOR THE BETTER.

I am still struggling with the health problem that brought me to JUDDD, but it is slowly getting better. I have had to do a food elimination diet, to figure some of it out, and what I have learned through doing JUDDD is making it possible for me to do some serious stuff that I don't think I would have been able to do before.

I mean, no eggs, no dairy! That's a serious hardship for me. But I am getting through it, because JUDDD has changed my relationship with food. I never expected that, but I am so grateful.

I have met some wonderful people on this forum. Thank you for all your support and advice. You make the journey fun!
Woo! Congrats on your juddiversary.

Very inspiring. Struggling mentally today on this DD and this just helped me a lot. You should be very proud of your success!
ohcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #471

WOW Girl, you have done great! AMAZING is not a strong enough word for it!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Back again--

I was away for a long weekend, meeting my sister and friends in Palm Springs. I had a blast! Karaoke! Hot-tubbing!! Spa Day!!!

Sadly, I also caught a cold, so I am now recovering from that. I started back in on my rotations on Tuesday. Having my second Down Day today. I'm a little shaky from being sick, so it will probably be a Veggie Soup Down Day.

I went up a few pounds. I am NOT concerned by it. I expect to be back down very quickly. My weight loss was noticed. And, I just felt very good in my body. My clothes fit great, and my body feels like a normal body. I like this.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

You inspire me, Sirtain! I love hearing these things from you, and I'm so glad you had a great time. You deserve it!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #474
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: windygap
Stats: Ex:166/136/130
WOE: Atkins now doing JUDDD and lowcarb
Start Date: April28,2013JUDDD start June 16' 2013
Hi Sirtain hope you are feeling better. It sounds like your trip was great. A couple of DD and you will back in the swing of things. Good Luck.
windygap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #475
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cprcheetah
Stats: 224.6/204.6/130
WOE: Lean For Life/Low Cal
Start Date: LFL 3/4/2014
Hope you are feeling better, and congrats on doing so awesome! You have done great, you should be proud.
cprcheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #476

Oh girl, nothing worse than getting back from a trip, then getting sick. How are you today?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh. Still sick been eating kind of crappy, which only makes me feel worse, I am sure. It is a vicious cycle. Looking forward to a good Down Day, but don't seem to be able to manage it yet. Oh, well, it will come.

Planning on making a big pot of vegetable sop today, to help things along.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #478
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope you get to feeling better real soon, Sirtain!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #479

Maybe allow for a higher DD???
Old 03-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #480
Major LCF Poster!

I had a soup-only Down Day yesterday. Any time I felt like eating, I had a big bowl of soup.

I made the broth with beef leg bones, and calf feet. It turned into a lovely, gelatinous, golden batch. The vegetables were celery, carrots, potato, zucchini, tomato, cabbage, and butternut squash.

I also added a pound of ground beef to the whole batch . It made about 24 cups.

I may do it again today. I'm pretty sure that my calorie count was over 500, but I am thinking under 1,000. I'm calling it a Down Day because it was controlled. I made a plan, and stuck to it. In spite of being tempted by a banana. I just told myself, 'I can have that tomorrow, if I want it.' THAT'S when I knew I was back into the JUDDD groove!

Got our garden into the ground yesterday. It was nice to be digging in the dirt, feeling the sunshine on my back. A good start to spring.

Zipp, I checked in on your journal. Glad to hear things are a little better than last week.

Carol (you journal-less one!), how are you doing? I am trying to catch up on your 'break' thread. Is the low-carb phase going well?

Windygap and Cprcheetah, thanks for checking in on me. It is good to get encouragement.