Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Pippa's journal (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/798861-pippas-journal.html)

Pippa 03-06-2013 12:00 PM

Pippa's journal

WOE: Atkins induction (Dr. Eric Westman's No Sugar, No Starch diet)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HU...U28/edit?pli=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLf4bzAyOM]Dr Eric Westman - Duke University New Atkins Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss and Health - YouTube

Start date: 1/20/13 - this is my second time in induction. Last summer I lost 18 pounds in less than 3 months. I was able to ease into phase 2 toward the end without gaining, but before I realized it, I eased my fat butt right into carb land and the holidays. I gained back 8 or so pounds by January.

I am an apple shape and all my weight seems to be in my middle. Hate it!:sick:

Weight Lost since start date 1/20/13: 9 pounds (yay!) in 45-ish days. That's 1.4-lbs per week.

GOAL weight 135 by April 30th. 55 days. (roughly 1.4-lbs per week).

Trip to Maui: April 30 - May 7.:eek:

Weaknesses:
Coke Zero - although Dr. Westman allows 3 caffeinated drinks a day, and I don't find that they throw me out of ketosis, I do think they make me hungry for sugar, so I try try try so hard to drink a LOT of water instead.

Sugar free/ low carb candy: Werther's SF caramels and Nestle's nips as well as Lifesavers SF wintergreen. Not buying any more of these after next week. I tend to have selected memory when counting these....

Will add more weaknesses later, cuz I've got more, I promise...

Things I do every day no matter what:

Say my mantra every morning while peeing (don't ask me why. I just do). "focus on today"

drink chicken broth and/or eat dill pickles - got terrible foot and leg cramps last time around. None this time so far. :jump joy:

eat eggs. If I don't have them at breakfast, I will have at least one for a snack or in my lunch salad.

eat a salad with chicken or other meat for lunch.

eat a meat and a legal veggie for dinner

drink an Atkins shake - maybe I should put this under the My Weaknesses category. I have a shake as soon as I get up which is usually 5:30 or 6am.

Coffee - black most of day. Allow myself one or two HWC coffees with Splenda if I haven't had too much sweetener already.

Check my ketones at least once a day - usually first thing in a.m.

Weigh myself naked every morning at the same time.

Take a multi-vitamin w/out iron. (Currently using gummy vitamins, but have read that they aren't really absorbed well, plus they have 3g of carbs per 2 gummies!) Looking for another brand/type.

Magnesium, potassium and D3 supplements. Cranberry pills 3-4 times a week (I have a history of kidney stones so just a precaution.)

ok. mind is numb
will write more later.
All comments, questions, support, advice, ass kicking and honesty welcome.

watch your habits, for they become your character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Pippa 03-06-2013 01:06 PM

Tools I've found handy on my journey:

Newline mini travel scale -- works great and packs easy in carry on.

Favorite iPhone apps:
Tactio Health weight loss and overall health
Atkins carb counter

Other tools I use daily:
Printed monthly calendar with space for notes.
This message board
Ketostrips

Foods:
Atkins bars and shakes
Pork rinds
Cheese
Pickles
Deviled eggs
HB eggs
SF jello
HWC
Redi whip whipped cream
Wyler's boullion cubes (have more sodium than Mazola packets) I have to drink this every day to keep from getting led cramps and dehydrated (headaches, flu-like symptoms, etc).
Crystal light pink lemonade packets
Coke zero or diet Mt Dew

Supplements
Multi vitamin
Thorne Magnesium and D3
Potassium tabs

Pippa 03-07-2013 10:55 AM

water, water and more water

Been upping my water consumption today. So far I've had three 16oz bottles, which is awesome since I really need to drink four a day to get the recommended 64oz. Of course, now I'm peeing even more than usual, but this is good because today was a gain day of .4 lbs. I'm starting to see a definite trend in my gain/loss over a given month. Lose, lose, lose, gain. Lose, lose, lose, gain. And then there's that one week a month where nothing moves at all. Although I'm in menopause (2 years), I still have a "cycle" sort of, and get PMS symptoms, though mild. I tend to retain fluids during certain weeks more than others.

Was supposed to be in New York this week, but flights got cancelled and we decided not to re-schedule.

Birthday coming up Sunday. Not sure how I'm going to feel about turning:eek: 49. Hope it doesn't bother me too much. Not much I can do about it anyway.

Pippa 03-31-2013 04:40 AM

So excited to get out of this plateau! Was stuck for a month bouncing up and down so I continued to research the newest ideas out there and even considered cutting sat fat according to Rosedale until I discovered nutritional ketosis and the Fat Fast theory. I added more fat and cut my protein and zapped carbs even further. (Yesterday I only ate 9.8 grams. Of carbs.)lost 2 lbs overnight! Now my weight tracker app says I can make my ultimate goal date of May 1 139lbs. I realize today's numbers will fluctuate over the next week but I am so excited to get under 145 -- haven't been here since my 25yo daughter was 2yo! Now we can share clothes!!! Of course she is 2 inches taller and has legs to the moon so we don't ever look the same in the same dress! Ha. She also has more muscle and a curvy figure. I still look like an apple, only now I look as if a big bite has been taken out of the apple! Hooray!!! Noticed some odd-looking bumps under my boobs and my daughter says, "mom those are your ribs!" Who knew I had ribs?!