LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dipsydoodle
Stats: 230/223/mini:200/perm:150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 2/2013
Low Carbinated (dipsydoodle's journal)

Hi everyone! Starting a journal here to keep track of my thoughts while I'm doing this. Please leave feedback if you have any! I love talking to folks! And I'd of course like to know more about you guys too! Especially any folks in their 20-somethings like me, trying to manage work and life and LC.

Please feel free to constructively critique what I'm eating. Right now I have NOT yet read the Atkins book. I also am waving between Atkins and JUDDD. I just prefer counting carbs over calories, but I want to have some more vegetables than induction allows, along with the occasional sweet. My palate has just seemed so BLAND lately, but A. I don't have ANY spices in the house apart from salt and B. I got more recipes which means I gotta go to the store and actually get things

I'm also sick of egg and meat scrambles But I'm not sure that I'm ready to give up induction so easily. I fear that JUDDD would lead me back into my former way of eating. Anyway, got the Atkins book and gotta read it!

To put it shortly, I hate counting - hence why I was an English minor

My goal right now is to lose 20 lbs by June. Overall I would like to lose 60-70. I'm super scared of getting there and putting it back on. Of course, that would mean getting there in the first place. Sigh. Gonna weigh in on Sat mornings. To convince me to stay on track on the weekends

--------

Feb 26:
B: 2 Sargento cheese sticks
L: Carnitas beef bowl, with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, verde sauce, guac, shredded cheddar
D: 2 pieces of quiche w/ sour cream

I don't normally snack but I got super munchie after dinner. I finished off some scraps of chicken, a piece of celery, and then I tried to make a muffin in a mug per a recipe I found online, but it was absolutely disgusting. (I didn't use the Splenda or Cinnamon as advised, but I threw some vanilla in there..) The only way I could finish what I started was with some jam, so I did cheat. ARGH! But only a little Also, I know I'm probably eating way too much cheese...

Last edited by dipsydoodle; 02-26-2013 at 06:55 PM..
dipsydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Oh, here's my menu coming up this week... I can only hope I'll stick to it!!!
(Sunday I usually go out to eat for brunch with my mom... gonna have an omelette, or something)

Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Glad to hear you got the book! I have read mine more times than I can count and still learn something new each time. I wish you all the best with your weight loss efforts! You seem to be a reflective person and that will help you tremendously!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Hi Trish, thanks for the reply! I do have some frustrating news though. I had to go to my mom's place for the weekend, which met putting my cooking of all these recipes & stocking up on LC foods on hold.

Being at my mom's is very... difficult, and I've given in more times than I can count. I'm trying not to focus on the bad choices I've made this weekend but I am worrying about how to spend time with my mom when she (unwittingly) sabotages me! I don't blame her though - it's my choice in the long run.

*SIGH* Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back on track and doing what needs to be done!!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twinkerbell
Hi!
It can be really hard with family members. Sometimes they unknowingly temp us and sometimes (I think) they might do it on purpose...Anyway, I like your menu sheet!
Hang in there!
twinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipsydoodle View Post
Hi Trish, thanks for the reply! I do have some frustrating news though. I had to go to my mom's place for the weekend, which met putting my cooking of all these recipes & stocking up on LC foods on hold.

Being at my mom's is very... difficult, and I've given in more times than I can count. I'm trying not to focus on the bad choices I've made this weekend but I am worrying about how to spend time with my mom when she (unwittingly) sabotages me! I don't blame her though - it's my choice in the long run.

*SIGH* Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back on track and doing what needs to be done!!
Wow, can I relate! My mom is my binge buddy. It has been difficult for sure! I have had several slip ups when spending time with mom but each time the key was to let it go immediately and get right back on track. It will have peaks and valleys, but you can make meaningful progress in this area. Forgive yourself and move on.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Thank you guys so much for the support and comments. I can totally relate to moms being "binge buddies". She won't bat an eye if I have 8 oreos and she has 4.... I don't understand. I think she means well and wants me to be happy, and if food = happiness, then...

And thanks LaurelM! I discovered PepperPlate.com, where I can input recipes and then make a plan based on it. So far it's the only free one that I've found that really works the way I want it to - very simply Anyway, that's where that menu is from.

So today, and yesterday, went fairly well. I feel back on track already, and definitely all the better for it. Things are a little crazy at work - my new cube mates are always talking about how they're doing Insanity and yet running around eating chocolate and oranges (right now I miss fruit the most but haven't had any real "cravings")...

B - two cheese sticks
L - chicken that I just realized probably had a tiny little bit of breading on it. ARGH! 4 asparagus-es (asparagi?), and some hollandaise-y sauce. Cafeteria.. which is why I'm trying to bring more food from home.
D - stuffed pepper from Genaw.com. OMG these were amazing! I wish I could have made the meat a little more flavorful, but I LOVED how the cheese became just a bit crispy after taking it out of the oven. I ate one, saved the other 3 for leftovers. Photo!

Tonight I cooked. A lot. I cooked the stuffed peppers and pumpkin bake. The bake is just chilling in the kitchen now, but I must admit that I tasted the batter quite a bit. I couldn't get the cream cheese to evenly smooth out into the batter, so there are cream cheese lumps all over, but that doesn't bug me. I also used Stevia, which I'm excited about!

My real dessert was an Italian soda though. So yummy. I feel SOOO full right now.

Tomorrow will be a bit tricky - I will take the pepper to lunch but dinner I must eat out. Not sure what to do, though a burger always works in a pinch!

Last edited by dipsydoodle; 03-05-2013 at 07:56 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great job sticking to plan around the chocolate and orange cube buddies at work. I must admit I don't really miss fruit very much. I am really a veggie person I guess. I do look forward to adding in a bit of fruit to my breakfasts here and there though. Have you tried Jello or diet orange soda or fruit flavored Torani syrups with ricotta? They can really help with a fruit craving.

Prep cooking has been a real key for me to stay on plan. You will be thankful you took the time to do it when you can just grab a piece of pumpkin bake and heat up your peppers to keep satisfied. You are really doing great! KUTGW!!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Hi Trish, thanks again for the input! I have NOT tried the ricotta, which sounds really yummy. I just got the Toriani SF syrup which I made the Italian soda with. It's pretty good! I am wary of eating a ton of "sugar free" stuff though because I don't like the idea of replacing it with Splenda or artificial sugars. So sometimes my food feels a little bland.

I haven't been around much, but yesterday was pretty good. I have been a little hungrier than usual, which Im accounting for possibly because my TOTM is almost here. :-/ One trick I've been doing to "stave off" any weirdo cravings is to have a tiny little swallow of heavy cream. It kind of feels so rich that afterwards I don't even feel hungry. Of course I don't sit there and guzzle cream, it's very rarely do I do that

Yesterday:
B - two eggs, three sausage links
L - salad w/ bleu cheese dressing
D - two stuffed peppers
I have to admit that I had a little bit of an 80% cocoa dark chocolate bar. Even though I'm probably not within that 20g induction range, I didn't feel bad about it.

Today, I made Beeb's Tuscano Soup. Holy mackeral, this soup is amazing! It's DEFINITELY a comfort food and feels sooo indulgent, but it's only 2 g of carbs per serving. It is quite salty though. But very filling. I was dismayed to read that my Italian sausages that I bought had high fructose corn syrup in them. That made NO sense to me, but I had to use them. The parmesan cheese really made the meal though. It added just the right "tang". I also loved the creamy nature of the soup with the chunks of spinach.

So today - (didn't eat breakfast, slept in)
L - Tuscano soup
D - burger w/o bun, extra lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, cheese, mayo
Again I indulged myself and had a tiny amount of Ferrero Rocher gelato. I'm definitely making sure this isn't a pattern though... :S

Otherwise, I'm having qualms over figuring out what my "real weight" is. It fluctuates so much. I know I'm not supposed to weigh myself every day, but it helps with the motivation. Every morning? Every night? Someone told me to weigh myself every Saturday morning but that just seems too long in between. I want results! lol.

Last edited by dipsydoodle; 03-08-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Weigh In 3/10

Weigh In for Sunday 3/10: 223
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Well I didn't post yesterday because I was having password problems. Come to find out, I was trying to log in with the username dispydoodle...

3/11
B - two HB eggs
L - huge taco salad w/o shell
D - I honestly can't remember but I think it was the leftover soup, with two sausages.

The girls in my cube are always talking about working out, talking about thunder thighs, planking in the cube area, etc. It makes me self-conscious but I know that I am losing weight. I definitely want to start working out again, but lately I've just had no motivation. I told myself at the beginning of this that I would get my food sorted properly, then add in the exercise, but at the moment perhaps it's better to focus on the food even though I have been doing ok for a while. I really miss swing dancing which I used to do every week but my own self-consciousness and frustrations with the vibe there have had me taking a break for a couple months.

3/12
B - two cheese sticks
L - small salad w/ chicken breast (threw some edamame beans on here... oops)
D - dottie's burger scramble (1/6 of the recipe)

Tonight I made Dottie's Burger Scramble... it was delicious. Really quite filling and tasty. I had a preconceived notion that it would be dry and flavorless, for some reason. Like a typical "diet" food. Nope. Again this tasted indulgent like a comfort food. It reminded me of hamburger helper but I'm glad this didn't have the noodles because it would be too mushy. Hard to believe there's a whole thing of cream cheese in it !!

I didn't take a picture .. yet.

Oh. One last thing. I'm an addict to Clear American drinks from Walmart. Their Black Cherry tastes just like a Roy Rogers and I'm loving the peach one I picked up too. It's super sweet with no anything totally kills those dessert cravings.

Ok, one MORE thing. Sorry! Here's my menu for this week.. kinda rough. I still have leftover pumpkin bake. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but I think that's my fault - I hadn't softened the cream cheese enough and there are weird crunchy things in it that may be a tiny piece of eggshell.... d'oh.

I just can't stop writing suddenly!

One thing I'm proud of is that I'm getting better at planning meals and buying staples. I wish there was a way to monitor what was in my pantry and fridge because I honestly forget. Planning at least a rough sketch out for the week (ahh taking me back to my teacher ed prep days) helps a ton! I can't recommend PepperPlate enough.

Last edited by dipsydoodle; 03-12-2013 at 07:25 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

I'm just bookmarking these links that I found on LCF a few days ago for further reading.

No Sugar No Starch PDF

Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
I like your journal!! <3 I am CONSTANTLY researching this diet. =D
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You are doing awesome! Keep up the good work!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

So you know those drinks I was raving about from Walmart a few weeks ago? Well, I got one and was having dinner in front of my computer when I opened it, and it fizzed everywhere. Fortunately, my computer did not die entirely, but it rendered the right side of the keyboard useless! So I hadn't been able to update sufficiently until now.

Anyway, for the most part, things are going well. I am hovering around 220. (I even saw 219 once, and that was after eating 1/2 of a dark chocolate bar.) I can't break myself of the habit of weighing every morning just out of curiosity. To find out which foods have the biggest impact on my body, I guess, weight-wise. Yesterday was pretty bad - meals were ok, but I did indulge in a few party snacks at work, and this morning for some reason I decided to have a little ice cream with a take out lunch. Meh. It seems that every time the weekend rolls around I start to let things slide a bit. Some days are easier than others, I don't know why that is, but I just can't feel 100% guilty when I know that an 85% dark chocolate bar is not the worst thing you could eat

One thing I promised I would do is start incorporating more exercise once I got to see that my eating habits were underway. I've done some callanetics but not recently - the new thing I love is the Do Yoga With Me online videos. And today was finally nice enough to go for a walk I hope this will stimulate my body to start taking a new shape. Although I've lost about 10 lbs so far, I don't feel very different yet.

For dinner I had the "just like stuffed baked potatoes". They were pretty good, actually I think they'd make a great breakfast. I threw some sausage in there too. I am pretty lax on menu planning lately and running out of staples in the kitchen, so hopefully tomorrow I can plan some more.

I also decided to keep doing induction until Easter. Then start on the "phase 2". I admit that I haven't 100% read the book (don't hurt me ) so I'm not sure when induction is supposed to end. Some people stay on it, others don't? One thing's for sure - I'm desperate for some blueberries!!

It's great to be back!

Last edited by dipsydoodle; 03-23-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

I'm still here, and still going strong! Just have been super busy. Today I actually saw 218 on the scale!!! Just seeing those numbers sticks in my head, and makes me want to keep going.

I made the Country Cabbage Soup and Just like stuffed baked potatoes. Both were huge hits with me and I plan on making them again. I liked the JLSBP even more than normal mashed potatoes. The cabbage soup to me seemed kind of Asian. I tossed some of the hot wings sauce into the soup to make it a tiny bit spicy - not sure if it had any real effect or not.

I've got a bit of a cold - might it be the Induction Flu? Didn't have that problem before. I hope it goes away soon.

It's finally sunny so I hope to start walking or doing the Couch to 5k soon. I NEED to exercise more...

I'm trying to figure out when to move on and start eating some berries and such. Yay.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Still trucking along, but I've suffered a setback which has me a bit disgruntled at the moment. Easter, coupled with visiting my mom again, and my love of ice cream has got me back up to 223 again Honestly I feel bummed like I probably won't get beyond this point. I know that's not true, but it's hard to get back up and dust myself off. All I can do is hope that tomorrow is better. Actually, I can do better than hoping - I can make it better!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Don't let it get you down!! Pick yourself up! You are worth it!!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone, I am still working on it And I'm at 220. Still trying to break out of that and get back down to what I glimpsed once on the scale - 218. I allowed myself to break out of induction because I had lost about 7-10 lbs in 2-3 weeks, so I've been eating about 10-20 almonds every so often. But I've probably not been watching my carbs as much as before, and sneaking carby things here and there. My bad - gotta be more strict I guess. I tend to get frustrated and angry about it though, like "why me?" I'm also exercising more - trying to start Couch to 5K. But most of all, I went back to swing dancing which I'm enjoying again. Hope to write next time with a weight less than 220 xo

Edit: thanks Rebecca for your sweet comment! keep going strong!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

It will happen in a flash! I went from a 10 day stall to losing almost a pound a day! I can't WAIT to see your newly updated WeIgHt!!!