LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #61
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rod
Stats: 5'10" 48yo 190/165/155
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: February 2013
Today I made bulletproof coffee for the first time. Really good.

500 ml coffee, 4 tablespoons of butter (58g), 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, blend for 20 seconds, drink. Wow!

520 calories, 58 grams of fat.

Not long after I drank this I got minor acid, so I decided to try an experiment. I drank water until it stopped, and it worked. Does that mean I have too much acid (verses too little as some hypothesize?) I read somewhere dehydration can cause acid. Who knows but this beats Tums. I'm curious to see if this works consistently. Stay tuned.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #62
Rod
Senior LCF Member

The heartburn-water experiment has been uneven. Today, I drank and drank (really sipped and sipped), and although I got some relief, it was still there. Then I drank 8 oz. of beef broth with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and got relief. Another ambiguous clue. Stay tuned...

Good news I'm down to 164.0 lbs.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #63
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Continued Heartburn

I'm obsessing over my persistent heartburn. Just when I think I have a clue, there it flares up. Never severe (as described for GERD) but a light to moderate burning in the back of my throat that can follow eating two or three hours. After seven weeks of pretty strict LCHF (carbs <50g and fat around 80%) the heartburn is not getting better.

I need to find the trigger. Starting tomorrow I'm going eliminate certain foods and try to determine the culprit(s). I'm afraid it may be dairy or some part of dairy. I suspecting the cheddar cheese as a possible suspect. I've never had dairy issues (although my sister has pretty bad lactose intolerance). Prior to LCHF I didn't consume much dairy and had little heartburn. Maybe it's the high fat in general. I hope not.

If food elimination doesn't help, then I'll pursue other theories (e.g., those of Robillard) and go from there. If low carb was to help it should have by now. Allowing the heartburn to continue isn't safe.

Today, I restarted strict intermittent fasting (my feeding window is from 3pm to 8pm). This gives my gut a break.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #64
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Well today's acid experiement was disappointing. I decided to fast until 3pm to give my system a break, but I got minor acid from water and then exercise! Took a Tums. Around 1pm I drank 8 oz of beef broth and 1 tbsp of coconut oil. No problem. At three I broke my fast with a hamburger patty (30% fat), 1/2 avocado, and 32g of macadamia nuts. About an hour later minor heartburn. Damn. No dairy yet heartburn. Is it fat in general?

I manically searched the internet (really re-researched) for heartburn treatments. Low stomach acid is a candidate. One of its symptoms is delayed heartburn which is very common for me. I decided to try a supplement which includes Betaine HCl (400mg), Pepsin (100mg), Pancreatin, Amylase, Protease, Papain, Oxbile, Lipase, and Bromelain. We'll see.

I'm temporarely suspending LCHF and focusing on intermittent fasting (which functionally offers the same benefit) until I get a handle on things. For dinner I ate a favorite carne asada burrito with cheese and sour cream and took to enzyme pills. Stay tuned...
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #65
Rod
Senior LCF Member

No issues from the enzyme tablets last night.

This morning I drank green tea with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 8 oz of beef broth with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. No acid. For lunch I ate a salmon steak, cup of clam chowder, grilled vegetables, and a Corona Extra. No acid. The only change is no dairy. Also no enzyme tablets today.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Are the enzyme tablets the supplements?
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #67
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
Are the enzyme tablets the supplements?
Yes.

Today's non-dairy experiment was an acid-free success. I had green tea, coconut oil, eggs, onions, avocado, macadamia nuts, salmon, clam chowder (an indulgence), vegetables, pomogranites, one beer, and raw coconut meat. No acid and no enzyme supplements.

After a few days of being dairy-free I'll introduce a dairy item and see if it's a specfic item or dairy in general. Is it the fat or the dairy? I've never suffered from the symptoms of lactose intolerance, but maybe it's an allergy? So many questions. If dairy causes acid then I'd rather eliminate it than take supplements.

Oh, boy, as I'm typing the above, I started to get acid! Last eaten eggs, onions (maybe?), and half an avocado (salted). Fat? Eggs? Salt? Food? I just took the enzyme supplement.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

How frustrating! I hope you can find your solution.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #69
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
How frustrating! I hope you can find your solution.
Thanks, JMacB. It is frustrating and really got me down yesterday. After I took the enzymes the acid really got bad, so I took two Tums and eventually took a Pepcid. My stomach needs a break so I'll be taking Pepcid for a few days. No reason letting this get me down.

As I mentioned elsewhere I'll focus on fasting.

By the way, and I've tried and tried, I really don't like avocado
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so sad that you don't like avocado, since its one of my favorites. But I totally understand, since I cannot make myself like fish or seafood.

Have you seen a doctor about your heartburn? I don't know what a doctor could do other than recommend a medicine.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #71
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm so sad that you don't like avocado, since its one of my favorites. But I totally understand, since I cannot make myself like fish or seafood.

Have you seen a doctor about your heartburn? I don't know what a doctor could do other than recommend a medicine.
I always joke I like guacamole but hate avocado, so I don't entirely dislike it. And fish and seafood I like. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Last time I mentioned heartburn to a doc I was, as you'd expect, given an Rx (and was probably told to quit eating XYZ).

Right now I still taking the Pepcid, eating less dairy, a few more carbs (mostly from fruit), and trying to chill.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #72
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
I too struggle with heartburn. I control it with Prilosec (omeprazole). I find it works best if I take it first thing in the morning and then not eat or drink anything for 20 minutes after.

I know it sounds "hokey" in this day and age but mental issues can have an effect on acid reflux. My Dr. prescribed my anti- anxiety meds for other issues I was having and he said it will help with the acid reflux too. I said, "really?" He said, "yes, I see it all the time.."

It was funny, I noticed whenever we were on vacation that my stomach didn't seem to bother me as much. I thought it was because I don't drink any coffee while on vacation so I stopped drinking it completely after we got back. It didn't really help so then I started thinking about anxiety/stress. I bought Dr. Sarno's book "The Mind Body Prescription." Very interesting reading. If you Google his name you'll find a 20/20 piece about him.

Anyway, hope you can get it under control. Low carb has helped me too. My Doc told me that weight also plays a part so as the weight comes off, the symptoms lessen. My triggers for heartburn were sweets (cookies, donuts, cakes, etc). I still take the Prilosec every morning.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #73
Rod
Senior LCF Member

CTH,
Thanks for your comments. A few years ago I was taking Prilosec, but another doctor switched me to Pepcid because he thought Prilosec (all proton-pump inhibitors) were too effective at suppressing acid. I couldn't really tell a difference except for the acid relief.

I agree wholeheartedly that mental issues effect acid production. Not only have I been stressing over diet issued, but I've been stressing over my master's thesis of which the latter is most likely the ultimate cause. That being said, when certain foods are missing from my diet, stress or not, heartburn does not appears. The mental and the physical are synergistically related but also independent. I'll check out the Sarno reference.

Sweets are a big trigger for me, too. Thankfully, my sweet tooth is under control. Some dairy and/or fat seem to be a trigger. Once I've taken Pepcid a few more days I'm going to try to isolate specific triggers and proceed. Thankfully there are many roads to achieving keto-adaptation without having to necessarily go high fat (e.g., intermittent fasting).

Thanks again for your comment! I know I'm not alone in this but it's nice to get real feedback and personal experience.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I had a very rich venison stew last night that gave me a very mild heartburn. My first since starting lc. Hows your protein ratios?
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #75
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
I had a very rich venison stew last night that gave me a very mild heartburn. My first since starting lc. Hows your protein ratios?
lilbeetle, actually, my protein was pretty moderate to low relative to fats. My ratios averaged 80F/12P/8C. My absolute protein was around 70g (my bodyweight 164 lbs). I suspect dairy but can't rule out some fat as the culprit.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #76
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Update: I'm still taking the famotidine (generic Pepcid). I have yet to put my finger on the foods/substances that trigger my acid.

Instead of LCHF, I've been focusing on intermittent fasting (IF) with good results. When I stopped LCHF a couple of weeks ago I weighed 164.2 and then slowly gained to 169.6 (Monday 4/15), but since implementing strict IF I've dropped back down to 164.2 (just 5 days later).

A couple of days ago I ate one big meal for the entire day (after 7PM), but I quickly realized I don't like the sensation of feeling that full. So I'm going to adopt a 2 meal plan (web search for details) where I eat twice a day for 5 days and ad lib for the other two. The eating window for the two meals is adjustable. Some days I might choose 12PM and 8PM or 12PM and 6PM or 3pm and 8PM. It depends on my needs and my appetite.

I want to get below 160, so we'll see...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Babydoll
WOE: LC
Start Date: April 2, 2013
Oh how frustrating....I read that you tried apple cider vinegar....how long did you try it? I believe it has to be about a month or so, in order for it to work...also, have you seen a holistic or naturopathic doctor for help with this? I'm a huge advocate for natural healing over chemical (pepsid, tums, etc) My husband suffers badly from this also, though, so I understand the frustration, and wanting the relief from those Common 'remedies'....believe me, I'm not judging....
I hope you can find some healthy remedy soon....
Best of luck!
Babydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #78
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
Oh how frustrating....I read that you tried apple cider vinegar....how long did you try it? I believe it has to be about a month or so, in order for it to work...also, have you seen a holistic or naturopathic doctor for help with this? I'm a huge advocate for natural healing over chemical (pepsid, tums, etc) My husband suffers badly from this also, though, so I understand the frustration, and wanting the relief from those Common 'remedies'....believe me, I'm not judging....
I hope you can find some healthy remedy soon....
Best of luck!
Hi Babydoll, my experiment with ACV was too short -- I think because it made me feel worse, but I do want to revisit it once I get mentally settled. My stress about the acid was surely causing some of it. Trust me, I'm not fond of chemical solutions either, and I only want this to be temporary.

Thanks for the concern and the suggestions!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #79
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Since my last post I've taken Pepcid less habitually. Those foods that trigger heartburn I'm avoiding (dairy fat especially). Duh. I've allowed more carbs but am mindful of the refined ones and sugar.

Intermittent fasting (IF) allows more cheats but within limits. My IF protocol varies according to my schedule and activity. The days I workout I fast 16 hours and eat two to three times within the 8 hour eating window. Other less energy intense days I may fast up to 24-hours. And other days I may not fast at all. I think it's good to keep the body guessing and not allow it to fall into a metabolic rut.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Thought I'd check in and see how you are doing. Hope the heartburn has abated, and you are doing well.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #81
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for checking on me, JMacB! The heartburn is not as constant but is still an issue. I've stopped taking Pepcid regularly and mostly take Tums as needed.

Right now I'm just focusing on intermittent fasting and watching the carbs. My weight is stable, but I'm still about 10lbs from goal weight.

How's your journey going? (I guess I should consult your online journal to find out!)

Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sorry you are still having issues, but glad you are sticking with it! My long long long plateau has seemed to end and I'm losing weight and inches again. I am convinced it is the warmer weather. I am not a dark, cold and dreary kind of girl. I need my sunlight!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #83
Rod
Senior LCF Member

JMacB, I'm fortunate to live in mostly sunny Southern California. I'm pleased you're losing weight and feeling brighter.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #84
Rod
Senior LCF Member

I love experimenting with my diet. I've eaten SAD (way too long), vegetarian, vegan, low-carb-high-protein, low-carb-high-fat, and everything in between. Except for my junk food days, I've generally experienced weight-loss on all the above. What's common to all the approaches is how I limited or eliminated sugar and cut out processed foods. As a vegan I ate mostly carbs and lost weight, but likewise with low carb/high fat.

Just recently I started a hybrid approach (inspired by Zoe Harcombe) where I can eat protein-fat meals or protein-carb meals (or just carbs with whatever protein occurs naturally) but never (or minimally) carbs and fats in the same meal (3 to 4 hours must separate the two). In just two days I went from 166.0 to 164.0 lbs.

Examples of what I've been eating:

-Bacon (4 strips) and eggs (4), macadamia nuts
-Yogurt (nonfat) mixed with blueberries, an orange, and a banana
-Strawberries with heavy whipping cream
-Wholegrain cereal with nonfat milk

Ideally, I should eat three meals a day, but I get hungry fairly quickly so I have been snacking in between. Whether I eat something heavy like bacon and eggs or lighter like cereal or fruit, I get hungry 3 to 4 hours later so I'll eat a handful of almonds or macadamia nuts, fruit or plain Greek yogurt.

Whether related or not, my acid has diminished with only a Tums or two needed here or there.

We'll see how this experiment goes. I must confess I like the variety.