Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
What did you think about the fat fast book? I'm thinking of doing one to break this stall.

I'm also intrigued by IF. I'm going to read up in some different IF philosophies.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #32
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rod
Stats: 5'10" 48yo 190/165/155
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
What did you think about the fat fast book? I'm thinking of doing one to break this stall.

I'm also intrigued by IF. I'm going to read up in some different IF philosophies.
I liked "Fat Fast." Informative and lists some of the pitfalls of why weight loss stalls. It's less than five dollars.

IF is liberating and it works with low carb or not (although low carb is more effective). One of my favorite IF-blogs is "The Simple Saloon." Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated in awhile but it has lots of good info. A link to a PDF that summarizes some of the most popular IF approaches: HERE
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #33
Rod
Senior LCF Member

March 8

Today I changed things up. Normally I don't eat much until mid-morning or after 12pm, and when I'm in full IF-mode I may not eat before 3pm or 6pm. Since starting LCHF I've mostly suspended IF but today I have decided to slowing integrate the two. I was really inspired by Peter Attia, MD.

One's fasting window is a personal matter but most people skip breakfast, and often lunch, and break the fast later in the day. Some will eat at Noon and then 8pm; others will eat between 5pm and 10pm (or between some other 5-hour period); while others will fast one or two times a week for 24-hours.

This morning (6:30a) I ate yogurt, cream, and blueberries. Throughout the morning I sipped a cup of bouillon. Then 10'ish I ate a 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts.

Around 1pm I ran a dog for 2 miles and then did 5 sets of 30 second sprints.

I wasn't hungry so I decided to wait until I got hungry. That was about 7pm. Then I heated 7 oz of chicken, cut 2 oz of cheddar cheese, made a small sheet of Parmesan cheese chips, cucumber sticks, and prepared a bowl of guacamole and sour cream. Good food, but I got full fast and feel a bit stuffed.

Although I love IF, I do struggle with how much should eat, and sometimes eat too much. Not binge eating, but just trying to consume what I think is necessary for my active lifestyle. Fortunately, I get full fast which limits any real damage.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Isn't it interesting when we notice what we eat and how it really makes us feel?

I planned to read up on IF last night, but instead I fell asleep watching the news. Oh well.

Are you a coffee drinker? I am, with hwc. I can't figure out how to incorporate that into IF.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #35
Rod
Senior LCF Member

JMacB:

The thing I need to do is to stop stressing over the amount I should eat versus how I feel. Last night I felt like I needed to eat X amount of food, yet I also felt like I ate too much. So I'm going to defer to how I feel and not what I think I should eat. I think it's important to know target macros, but I'll use them as a guide and not an obligation.

I am a coffee drinker and when I strictly follow IF I usually skip the hwc and drink it black, but if you can't skip the cream I don't think it'll significantly interrupt the IF process. First of all the cream only as 1 carb (0 sugars) so I wouldn't stress that it's subverting your IF. I use to stress over getting right (i.e., perfect!), but now I try to enjoy the process and do the best I can. Whatever IF you choose, and it might take you to find the right method, enjoy the freedom and especially enjoy the meal once you break your fast.

Sleep is good!

BTW, I think I'm going to do a 3 day fat fast.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #36
Rod
Senior LCF Member

JMacB, I just check urine ketones after finishing my coffee and hwc and it shows me in moderate ketosis.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #37
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Recently I discovered Julian Bakery's "Paleo Bread" which claims won't interrupt ketosis, but yesterday I ran across a blog post that disputes their claims. Apparently a type-I diabetic took insulin for 2-net carb of SmartCard#1 bread but found his BG shoot up to 300. A friend of the diabetic had the bread analyzed and found instead of 1 digestible carb it had 23! The almond bread I bought claims 1 gram of digestible carbs (5 total). But how do I know? I can't which makes me realize I need to stop trying to find analogues to things I shouldn't be eating anyway. That's why I've decided not to buy an artificial sweetener to replace sugar and just get my sweets from the occasional fruit.

"Julian Bakery Whistleblower Starts New Website"
Site about alleged false claims by Julian Bakery
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
Rod
Senior LCF Member

March 9

Today I decided to do a three day Fat Fast (~1000 calories/day, 90% fat).

Is started off well:

6:30am+: coffee with 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream (25g fat)
10am: 1/4 cup macadamia nuts (24g fat, 2g protein, 4g carbs)
2pm: 3 oz of cheddar cheese (28g fat, 21g protein, 1 carb)

Around 5:30p my partner wanted to go a very good Oaxacan restaurant so my scheduled 6pm 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts (which would have put me at a little over 1000 calories) was replaced by a great dish called queso fundido (a wonderful cheese dish was cactus and mushrooms) and a shrimp ceviche plate with side of sour cream. I skipped the pre-dinner chips and salsa and the tortillas that accompany the two dishes.

In the a.m. and p.m. I sipped bouillon.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

I can't wait to hear how you feel about it after a day or two. I bought the book today and think a quick trip to the grocery is all I need to get started. Good luck tomorrow!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #40
Rod
Senior LCF Member

I'm eager to hear how you do with "Fat Fast."

Tomorrow has to be a modified version as I forgot we're having dinner with a friend in the evening. So I'll keep calories low throughout the day and be smart at the restaurant.

Last edited by Rod; 03-09-2013 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: insert missing word
Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #41
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Since starting LCHF three weeks ago I've had bouts of minor heartburn and a couple of occasions it was bad. Fried eggs and bacon have been triggers (in fact I've avoided fried eggs since starting) but today I had four slices of bacon and two fried eggs and NO heartburn. I guess my system is acclimating.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #42
Rod
Senior LCF Member

March 10

Morning
Coffee with hwc (5 oz)
1/4 macadamia nuts
Sipped cup of bouillon

Local hike

Lunch
Four pieces of bacon and two fried eggs; two clementines

Park workout: upper back, arms, and abs circuit (3 sets of 8 exercises)

Afternoon
1/4 macadamia nuts
2 oz hwc

Dinner out
Restaurant:
-Appetizer: small tuna taco and small bite of mushroom ravioli
-Entrťe: Steak (medium rare) on bed of bacon cabbage mix (the steak was cooked well but too lean) -- requested dish of butter
-Two vodkas and soda
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

How are things going this week? Has your heartburn abated any?

I've been doing a modified fat fast - mainly because I had some leftovers I needed to finish. I'm pleased - down 3 pounds since Monday. Hope you are doing well!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
How are things going this week? Has your heartburn abated any?

I've been doing a modified fat fast - mainly because I had some leftovers I needed to finish. I'm pleased - down 3 pounds since Monday. Hope you are doing well!
The week is going OK but busy. I'm down over 5 pounds since I started over 3 weeks ago. In the next few days I'm going to try another strict 3 day fat fast. Although I don't think there's anything wrong with a modified version.

On the whole my heartburn has been okay. Some days are better than others, but I haven't had to quell it with Tums (well a couple of times). Since I switched to a different bacon, bacon and fried eggs don't bother me like they use to.

That's awesome you're doing well on the modified fat fast. It's one day at a time. The beauty of combining LCHF and IF is a food splurge is just a slight blip on our longterm weight and health goals.

Keep me up to date!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #45
Rod
Senior LCF Member

4 Weeks LCHF

Today marks 4 weeks since I started LCHF. What's amazing is how easy it's been to stick to it.* As I've written elsewhere I think intermittent fasting helped my transition as I no longer panic where I get hungry. Of course on LCHF one needn't get hungry, but historically for me getting hungry meant falling for a craving instead of choosing what I should eat.

What's remarkable about the ease is how much of a comfort eater I am. I love sugar and carbs. And I have a long history of keeping with something until the newness wears off and then I go back to my default.

Now, something is different. With ketosis (and I think keto-adaptation) those old cravings are muted and my already tamed appetite is suppressed. I enjoy what I'm eating and how I feel. No more postprandial fatigue or moodiness. Heartburn still rears is ugly head but no more than on SAD and with decreased frequency.

Plus my weight is down from 170 to 165.

There's been a few temptations along the way, but I just remind myself how far I come and go about my business. And when I do indulge I'll enjoy the experience and start anew post haste. Guilt and self-recrimination are pointless and a waste of energy.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #46
Rod
Senior LCF Member

This week I strayed slightly from the LCHF path. Saturday, my 4th week anniversary, I had an In-N-Out double-double cheese burger. Here in Southern California In-N-Out is a huge favorite, and when I went to an event and saw their food truck (and discovered the food was free) I couldnít resist. I figured the bun was less than 40 carbs so I wasnít too concerned. Then Sunday we made an unplanned trip to the Apple Pan, probably L.A.ís best burger joint, which has been in business since the 1920s. Itís hard to describe how good both places are. In four weeks the buns have been the only grain Iíve eaten. Although I donít crave those kinds of carbs, I had no bad reactions from eating them.

Otherwise, the week is going well and, today, Iíll think Iíll start a three-day fat fast to jog the system. My weightloss has been good but I canít break the 165 lbs barrier. I donít want to get too caught up with the scale as Iíve been adding muscle which weighs more than fat.

I bought this suit a while back after I had lost considerable weight from taking a prescription medication. Long since ending the medication and impulsive SAD eating, the pounds crept up and the suit became uncomfortably tight. To my surprise, last week I had to wear the suit and it was way too big -- at least a size or two. I was thin when I bought it, but I donít feel that thin now. But, as I said, my former thinness was a side effect of meds, and this time I am leaner and more muscular. I need a new suit anyway as pleats are out!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #47
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Well into my fourth week of LCHF I've noticed my thinking and concentration have improved. I was taking to a colleague this morning and I noticed I didn't have my normal distractedness or minor social anxiety that often plagued me. Pretty damn cool. Like a antidepressant without the annoying side effects.

One habit I'm trying to break is not to eat when I'm not hungry. I'm exercising at a new and more intense level so I do stress a little that I'm not eating enough, yet I know this taps into old ways of thinking and is not scientifically based.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #48
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Heartburn has been a issue throughout the past four weeks, but I can't put my finger on exactly what triggers it. The same foods can cause it one day but not another (e.g., bacon and eggs). Although I haven't paid full attention to this, thorough chewing seems to help.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sorry the heartburn isn't a total thing of the past. If food isn't the obvious trigger, is it maybe what/how much you are drinking?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #50
Rod
Senior LCF Member

I wish I knew, JMacB. All I drink is water and broth with coconut oil. Oh, and coffee which can be a trigger. I've been under a bit of stress trying to finish a grad thesis which must contribute. I know for many LCHF or low carb helps GERD/heartburn. After 5 weeks I was hoping things would improve, and in some ways the heartburn is better, but still present to often.

Would Pepcid affect my progress or should I take Tums as needed? A former family physician assured me it's safe (he liked it more than a competing brand that he felt turned off too much acid), but quite frankly I'm skeptical of "official" medical practices especially in light of how wrong they've been on diet and nutrition. Too many Rx's are given with because of incentives for doctors and hospitals.

The results of LCHF have been amazing for my weight, moods, and mental clarity and I have no intention of quitting. I just need to get control or safely treat the acid.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with you. I am in such a much better place than I was a year ago. I haven't lost as fast as some, but I feel so good.

Have you considered drinking some apple cider vinegar for heartburn? I got that info from an online article called:

Improbable Remedy Vanquished Heartburn Home Remedy - The People's Pharmacy

Last edited by Maryposa; 03-27-2013 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Edited to remove link... the site that was linked has an online store
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #52
Rod
Senior LCF Member

I've tried the apple vinegar cider and found it didn't work or made things worse. I'll give it a second go to see if I did it right. I've read somewhere about increasing fermented foods to help. We'll see.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #53
Rod
Senior LCF Member

As an experiment I'm going to skip coffee and not drink water 30 minutes before or after I eat. I need to rule things out.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #54
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Today's been an interesing day. I skipped my morning coffee and had green tea. Coffee is one of those things I can take or leave but I do enjoy the taste especially with the HWC. After a 45 minute hike/sprints I had a cup of beef broth (10 cal) but without coconut oil (my norm) to maintain the fast.

At noon we went to a favorite seafood place and I probably ate 1.5 lbs (!) of boiled shrimp in a garlic butter sauce. When I got home I looked up its nutritional value and was shocked how much protein that was. About my whole days supply (~100g). It's definitely low carb but also low fat. I drinched each bite in the garlic sauce but have no idea how to quantify that. I'm surprised I didn't know shrimp is good protein but not high fat.. I'm not a calorie counter, but trying to determine macronutrients is enlightening.

So the past hour or so I've been working a spreadsheet to calculate my daily fat needs. From everything I've read when weightloss stalls it's either too much protein and/or too little fat so I'm making sure my fat ingestion is up.

Today, since I met my protein requirements early I'm focusing entirely on consuming fats the rest of the day. Starting tomorrow I'm going to add 2 tbsps of coconut oil to my tea (which I a couple of hours ago). Although this will technically end my fast, it won't trigger insulin and therefore won't impede weigthloss or ketosis.

As to heartburn it's been an issue today, but instead of starting early after my morning coffee it started around noon a couple of hours after my beef broth and it really kicked in after the shrimp fest. Garlic is a notorious trigger. I took one Tums and been delaying a second. The tea and coconut oil went down OK, but I can't determine if this was a trigger. Tomorrow will be a better test.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #55
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Today was a mixed bag. The morning was good. I had two cups of tea each with a 1 tbsp of coconut oil, 4 ounces of heavy cream, and 8 oz of beef broth and 2 tbsp of coconut oil. Almost 50% of my fat needs were met before noon. The best news NO acid reflux, and my second day of no coffee.

The afternoon was a little worse as I ate too much and felt awful. I ate 5 oz of broiled chicken with skin, 3 oz cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp of sour cream, and spinach. A great combo but just too much food. Despite what I think I need to eat, I need to stop when I'm satisfied. In my head I think I should be eating so much, but I must realize I should eat to satisfaction and no more.

Remarkably I'm having no problems keeping my carbs low, so I'm just focusing on eating enough fat and keeping the protein moderate. Today, I estimate I ate 214 grams of fat (1926 cal), 68 grams of protein, and 22g carbs.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #56
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Recently I started using an online nutrition tracker site to record what I've been eating. Its database is amazing and it makes it easy to track macro-nutrients. Like today I ate 2279 calories, 217g fat (86%), 38g carbs (6%), and 58g protein (8%). My protein was a little low, but that's OK.

The good news is I'm getting enough fat, but I'm getting it too early in the day. In a fat panic I overdo it and forget how energy-dense it is.

Last edited by Maryposa; 03-27-2013 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Removed Fat Secret reference
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Interesting about your heart burn. Mine stopped as soon as I did LC. I used to have to take Amalase for it.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #58
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Interesting about your heart burn. Mine stopped as soon as I did LC. I used to have to take Amalase for it.
I've read that some do struggle with heartburn even after going low carb. When I read about GERD and heartburn symptoms descriptions by others my symptoms are minor in comparison. I'm almost 6 weeks into LCHF which is a good stretch but still fairly new. The body likes homeostasis and rebels against any change no matter how beneficial.

Thanks for your comment.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #59
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Broke through a Barrier!

Weighed in at 164.6 today! For days days I've been stuck at 165.8 to the point I wondered if the scale was broken. I know a ~2 lbs fluctuation in weight is normal but this is a good psychological victory.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #60
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Using a cool diet tracking software, I can nicely monitor my eating habits and see the ups and downs.

Daily average (3/25 to 3/31):
Calories: 2418
Fat: 213.04g
Carbs: 58.3g
Protein: 72.13g

My carbs were up this week because of three cheat days. Tuesday I hit Subway (102.5 carbs total for day) and Thursday and Friday 'The Apple Pan' (81g/66g respectively total for day) (just happened to be in the neighborhood and it's almost a crime not to stop and eat their amazing hamburgers and well done fries). This week I want to avoid cheats but will try to be reasonable when they happen.