Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Makeover for Coffeelover

Time to start a journal! I'm Coffeelover aka Louise from metro Detroit. I'm happily married to Dave and have three wonderful children - dd (20 next month), DS 18 and DS 15. We are also proud 'parents' to two crazy little dogs; Toby, a Malteste and Jessie, a toy poodle. I'm 48 years old which is sort weird since I'm not sure how I got that old. lol

Last September I stepped on the scale at my doctor's office and weighed in at 234 pounds. I was incredibly shocked how much I weighed but I really shouldn't have been. My 'normal' fat self had been hovering around 185-195 pounds for many years and now I had back problems, occasional heart palpitations, high blood pressure, and while my fasting blood sugar level was fine my A1C was 5.6 which was only one decimal from 5.7 which is the beginnig of the abnormal range! Holy moly, how did a woman who was always concious about her appearance and health get this fat and unhealthy?

I think it all started as a younger teenager when I started battling vanity pounds. I was 13, had just gone through puberty and was now 120 pounds at 5'4". Where were my skinny thighs and slightly knock-knees? Why did I have a 36" butt? Then I just knew that I would look so much better if I only weighed 110 pounds. At the grocery store I found a pocket sized book with lots of crash diets. The first on I tried as the Banana & Egg diet. Little did I know that this would start an over 20 year battle with yo-yo dieting to keep myself in the teens when my body wanted to be in the 120s.

At 28 I had my daughter, lost all my weight. Then at 29 I had my son and kept about 25 pounds, and finally at 33 I had my youngest and kept about 35 pounds. So now I'm about 185 which is where I hovered for at least 10 years. At this time the dieting got more serious, it wasn't just vanity pounds any more. I think at some point I just kind of gave up, like what the heck is the point. Now I'm 200 pounds at 45 years old. Then factor in more cycling between dieting and "I don't care" and a general not putting myself at the top of my priority list and in Sept at 47 years old I was standing there in the doctor's office at 234. I was at rock-bottom. What to do? What to do? You name it, I've tried it! While I thought about it, I cut back a bit on my portions and bad foods. For some reason my head was spinning for a few months, actually I think I was so depressed about it, and overwhelmed at needing to lose about 100 pounds that I couldn't take much action. Finally I determined that over the years, LCing had made me feel the best and seems the easiest. It's also good at preventing diabetes or at least helping.

On January 16 I started. The portions control thing had taken off 7 pounds so I started Atkins at 227.

To be continued.

Last edited by coffeelover; 02-19-2013 at 06:08 AM..
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131.8/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Just wanted to say hi from a fellow coffee lover! Good luck on your journey!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Sounds like you are off to a great start!
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for stopping by and the encouragement. It really means a lot to me!

Back to my story. I decided that I just feel best when I low-carb but allow myself more vegetables. I own the 2002 version of the Atkins but and the New Atkins which is even more recent and written after his death. They are similar but the 2002 version is confusing to me because Dr. Atkins says to eat all these vegetables and use net carbs but then his examples use whole carbs and the portions of veggies don't add up to his recommendations! Well, I know that I feel best eating the 12-15 net grams of veggie carbs so I decided just to go with that and use the newer book as my guide. I decided to eyeball my amounts and not officially count anything, at least to start. I know that my personality isn't one to keep track, be meticulous, carefully add stuff - that's just not me. I'd need a personality transplant. I like to be more intuitive, go by my body signals, make slow changes, and take it one day at a time. As long as I'm losing weight I figured that I'm good to go.

The two weeks of induction were fairly easy and I lost a total of 8 pounds, 7 pounds in Week 1 and 1 pound in Week 2. I decided to just continue at induction level carbs until I got bored and then I'd start creeping up on OWL. Well after the first two weeks, even though I made no changes my weight loss came to a screetching halt. Time to get real about calories and portion control. Time to look at just how much bacon and cream I'm consuming.

So now I'm often tracking on using an online food diary. I don't necessarily track daily but several days per week. Turns out I lose when I eat no more than 1500 calories per day. If I want to eat 1800 then I need to have a much more active day. I did another BMR type of calculation that said that I need 1460 calories per day to lose 1.5 pounds per week. That sounds about right to me. I envy those that say that calories don't matter to them, but I know that for me, it simply isn't true regardless of the carbs. I've tried Atkins twice before and a couple of other low-carb plans and after the initial water loss, calories always count in my case.

I'm using a lot of Linda Sue recipes and trying to cook most of my meals. I've eaten some cobb salads and 'burger over salad' in some restaurants but mostly I try to eat at home.

My current focus is on becoming more active in general and burning more calories throughout my day. I'm quite the couch potato because my hobbies are sedentary - reading, surfing the web, board games, TV and movies, long0country drives, making photo albums, and a bit of home sewing (curtains, etc.). Yeah, basically I sit almost all the time. This needs to be changed!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Today I fit into size 18 jeans. I had been in a 18W. Not sure if the differences are major but they are definately snugger than the ones I had been wearing. Bought some shapewear tanks from the Maidenform outlet. Just bought my size and didn't bother to try them on. When I got home I tried one of them on and managed to get stuck in it and hubby had to help me get unstuck. But once it's on, wow, does it ever smooth the giggle on my stomach.

What I'm working on right now is not grazing in the afternoons. This is a really bad habit of mine. It's much better for me to have a scoop of egg salad on a bit of lettuce then to eat a cheese slice every 30 minutes. Those cheese slices don't fill me up and have 80 or 100 calores each. It adds up.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Since I now am comfortable with my WOE, I think it's time for me to add in some more cardio exercise. My current exercise routine is going to water aerobics 5x per week and three of those days I go to the gym earlier and do 40 minutes of weight lifting. I started the water aerobics last summer before I started trying to lose weight. As much as I like it, I'm just not sure how well it works the cardiovascular system. Three times per week I'm doing the advanced class yet I still find walking around the block or walking on my treadmill at less than 3.0 mph to be taxing. I'm a little confused because on the one hand when you are in the water your body feels less resistance (lighter?) yet the instructor always says the water provides resistance. Well it's just easier for me to haul my body around the pool than it is to haul it around the block. I'm not planning on giving up water aerobics because I really like it, it's my daily social time, and I'm sure the movement is good for me, but I'm not going to count on it as my only cardio. I'm going to start a walking program. I did it a few years ago and it really helped me get in shape. I just have to be careful because for some reason a lot of walking hurts my lower back. Actually that reason is likely because I have a bit of a swayback and anterior pelvice tilt. I'm going to start today, and I'll need to wear my new Yaktracks - plenty of snow on the ground here.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I'm feeling great and overall very motivated. Bad news is that I've been hovering in the 212-214 range now for a week or 10 days or so. I know that this is not unusual so I must just be patient. I might keep off the scale for a few days and see what happens. I must also keep Vermont cheddar cheese out of the house for a while!

Doing very well with my workouts. I'm doing the old Joyce Vedral Now or Never weights program, along with stationary cycling, walking, and some water aerobics. I feel great and not overworked since I built up slowly. Today the water aerobics class was cancelled due to weather so I'm going to go and do a cardio DVD.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
Stopping by and wanted to say "Keep up the good work" Looks like you are on the right track.
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi Giggles4me - thank you very much!

Slowly plugging away, well it feels slow, cause my weightloss is slow! lol However, my exercise program is chugging right along. I appear to be quite cardio-impaired but I'm working on it. So here's my program at the moment:

Sun - 75 min weights, walking program (currently 1 mile)
Mon - Water Aerobics class, Expresso cycling (2 miles), walking program
Tue - 75 min weights, Water Aerobics class, walking program
Wed - Water Aerobics class, Expresso cycling
Thur - 75 min weights, Water Aerobics class, walking program
Fri - Water Aerobics class, Expresso Cycling, walking program
Sat - 75 min weights, walking program

Yeah, I'm only walking 1 mile and cycling for 2 miles at a time, but I'm working on building up. I keep telling myself that it will get easier!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I guess I'm not too good at keeping up with a journal! Oh well, it is what it is

There's not much to say other than I'm losing weight and feeling awesome. The only negative is that I'm starting to droop. What I mean is that when I was at my heaviest other than a stomach apron none of my fat hung down. But now I have it on my inner thighs and mid-back. One thigh is worse than the other. This is somewhat discouraging but what am I going to do? It's better to be thin and droopy than fat and puffy. I wonder if massage or dry brushing would help? I'm off to Google!

Last edited by coffeelover; 03-06-2013 at 07:36 AM..
Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Jeez, it's been a while. I guess I suck at keeping a journal! lol. But what I don't suck at is losing weight. I've now lost 28 pounds. I remember weighing at my doctors office last fall at 234 and feeling so depressed. I thought "it's going to take forever to get to even under 200 pounds!" Well, I told my self that the months were going to pass at the same pace whether I went on a weight-loss plan or not. Thinking about it that way made it a little easier to deal with.

One thing though I've had to adjust are my workouts. I was doing too much, too soon for my body and I always had something that really hurt, that I pulled or was swollen and so forth. I've decided to build up more slowly. Last week I could barely work out because both my knee and my ankle were so sore. I have Benign Hypermobility Syndrome - which is just a fancy, scary way of saying that I have loose joints. When I was a kid we used to call it being double-jointed. It's when you have loose ligaments that hold your bones together. People with this condition are at much higher risk for injury but on the other hand the best thing you can do is to strengthen the muscles surrounding the joints to hold them together. But the older I get, the longer these pulls and sprains take to heal. It's not worth it to not be able to exercise at all when I have overdone it.

Revised workout schedule:

Mon-Fri =water aerobics
Tue, Thurs, Sat or Sun = weights but only 1-2 exercises per body part (not 4 like I was doing)

I will also walk my dogs outside for increasing periods of time as the weather improves.

Made a pile of my 2x tops to give to charity. Feels great!

Last edited by coffeelover; 03-17-2013 at 06:56 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Yay for you! Sounds like you're doing great!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement Bacon Bit!

I'm finding myself more confident about eating out and have gone out to eat several times in the last couple of weeks. I often have a Greek Salad or Chicken salad or similar. These are casual places that I go with my girlfriends for lunch but it's nice for me now that I don't stress about it. The main challenge right now is staying motivated with the grocery shopping and cooking. I'm trying not to slip back into my old ways of just winging it. Today I'm trying a new Linda Sue Recipe, the Mexican Spinach Casserole. It's in the oven right now and smells so good! I will make a meal plan for the rest of the week and stick to it - that's my goal!