Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkepticalMe
SkepticalMe's Musings

Although I am new to this site, I will make myself at home, and journal my thoughts.

I'm reinventing myself -- yet again -- and starting another round of hCG on Saturday (my birthday).

I'm quoting from a post I made 06-05-11 on another message board -- my second day of loading during my first round of hCG -- for those who may wander here and need a wee bit o' background on me:

"Having lost 163 pounds in 23 months subscribing to a modified low carb regimen over 10 years ago, I've regained nearly 20 pounds of that loss and have been struggling with the modified low carb regimen to lose that regain."

"I've performed quite a bit of research regarding hCG/VLCd and have decided this may work for me regarding weight loss. It makes sense to me, since each time I was pregnant (5 times), I lost weight. With my last pregnancy, I lost 50 pounds. I am a bit skeptical, however, as to the long-term advantages of losing weight on a low calorie diet. Low carb has always worked best for me."

"Since I come from a background of eating modified low carb, I've already been eating high-fat and full-fat foods, so the "loading" days won't be exceptional for me. They will be ordinary."

"I think that some people starting out with hCG/VLCd think that the loading mean that they should eat high contents of sugars, starches, refined starches, and high fats, and anything else that they will "miss" while eating a VLCd. I'm afraid they are confusing high fat with high calorie. While one may attain high calories by loading up on sugars, that's not the point of the loading days. The point is to load up on fats, to use as a store from which to pull, during the phase of VLC days. I read post after post on these forums yesterday where members list the foods they ate on their loading days, and the lists include beer, pizza, Mexican food, chocolate, fries, cakes, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, et cetera. I'm afraid that those misguided souls will have terrible sugar cravings and a low store of fat during their VLC days, and may decided that the hCG does nothing to help with warding off hunger. From all of my research, I've concluded that loading properly is essential to optimal weight loss with using hCG in conjunction with a VLC diet."

"Therefore, loading days = high fat, low carb foods such as nuts, cream, meat, seeds, olives, et cetera. Since I've been eating such fare for a few years now, I won't have to load too much. I am not an ice cream eater, but I decided that the cream and fat content in ice cream would help with fat storage, so I bought some yesterday."

"I'll stop preaching now, step off my soapbox, and track my stats here. I am not a breakfast eater, and do not intend to eat breakfast following this regimen. Also, I administer Sub-Q injections each morning, just after weighing, and just before my coffee."

Well, I wrote that on the eve of my foray into hCG and was quite Skeptical. I am no longer Skeptical. I'm starting Round 6 of hCG on Saturday -- my 52nd birthday -- and am quite looking forward to it. I've regained nearly 20 pounds of the 50 pounds I lost through the previous rounds.

Since I'm menopausal, I've decided that the only way for me to lose weight effectively is to (1) follow a modified low calorie-low carb diet, combined with injections of hCG, and (2) performing core workouts to hit my heart target range at least three times each week, and (3) perform strength/resistance training at least five times each week.

Now if only I can haul myself out of the bed in the morning at 4:30 a.m. to attend my Jazzercise class before work...

SkepticalMe

R1: 06-04-11: 249.8/220 -29.8
R2: 08-06-11: 233.4/208.2 -25.2
R3: 10-15-11: 215.3/191.2 -24.1
R4: 01-28-12: 205.7/187.2 -18.5
R5: 07-21-12: 204/193.2 -10.8 (ended after 18 days)
R6: 02-16-13:

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-14-2013 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Changed title of journal
SkepticalMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

It was Scarlett's fault...

I didn't go to Jazzercise this morning because I was too tired to get up.

I made the mistake of flipping stations on the TV last night after getting into bed, and came upon Gone With the Wind on TMC just in time to hear Scarlett tell Mammy that she wasn't going to eat her breakfast, and that she'd do all of her eating at the barbeque.

I knew at that point that I should turn the TV off before I got sucked in any further. But, regrettably, I got caught up in the magnificent spectacle of Scarlett working the entrance hall at the Wilkes' plantation -- the envy of every woman and every man's dream -- except for the coward, Ashley Wilkes, who announced his betrothed, the meek Melanie Hamilton, to Scarlett on the stairs off the entrance hall.

*sigh*

I pick up my injections tomorrow, and it's loading day 1. It's my birthday and we may go see the movie Lincoln at a matinee and I will have my last tub of popcorn for a long time.

Going to get ready for work now. I only work a half day, and then I have a hair appointment at 2:00 p.m. Since my husband does the grocery shopping today, I will come home after my hair appointment and prepare food for my first week of VLCD.

Onward...
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
Stats: 245/Less/Even Less :)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Everyday!
I would get sucked into that movie, I it. I am going for a round on Monday at least that is when VLCD will start for me. I did a round last year around the summer and put back on some weight and am looking forward to getting some off again. I just turnned 51 at the end of January and just celebrated 25 years with my husband. I am very menupausal so I know what you are going through. You can do it as you have proved before and btw I Nathalie Wood as well, just watched her in Splendor in the Grass with handsome(forgot his actors name, brainapause again ) oops I got it Warren Beatty(sp?). Just wanted to say that you will be successful.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Editing a post?

Hi, Maggie!

You said you are starting a Round on Monday and that's your first day of VLCD? My Round starts tomorrow (with hCG injection) and it's my first loading day. My doctor has us take hCG, even on our loading days. Is that how you do it?

Congratulations on your 25 years with your sweetheart, and happy belated birthday!

Yeah, I love Natalie Wood in her role as Susan Walker in Miracle on 34th Street. She was super skeptical, and that's why I chose her avatar to accompany my online name. LOL!

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Aside:

I'm just a little honked off here about posting rules on this site. I posted this morning (entitled "It was Scarlett's fault...") and edited the post. Yet, when I clicked the SAVE button, nothing happened. The page didn't refresh or anything. So, I reloaded the page to edit it again, and now there is NO edit button for that post, and it didn't save my edits! I've waited well over the 60-minute edit window, and there still isn't an edit button for that post. I'm editing this post with this 'aside' and will see if I can save it.

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-15-2013 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: To see if I can edit a single post...again...and again...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will start my load day tomorrow and Sunday with the Hhcg. 2 days loading and 21-40 days VLCD. I am doing Homeopathic Hhcg. Monday I will start the low calorie part of the diet. I am not going through a clinic, too costly for me so I hope we can still share with one another even if we do it differently. Good success to you on your loading and I will load with plenty of fatty foods and not so many carby foods.

Last edited by MagieDen; 02-15-2013 at 08:21 AM..
MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Doing an updated version of Simeons...

Maggie, I fully intend to share my daily menu here, and I hope you share yours, as well!

I am going to do a modified Simeons protocol this time around, incorporating some of Dr. Lipman's updates. Simeons wrote the protocol in 1957, when makeup was full of hormones and other harmful additives, when there weren't any low calorie sweeteners, except for saccharin, and when the only low-calorie bread alternative was melba toast or grissini bread -- just to mention a few things.

So, I plan to wear my makeup and use my lotions and get my hair done; I plan to use zero-calorie beverages such as diet soda and flavored water; and I plan to use Wasa bread instead of grissini (if at all...since any type of carbs seems to hinder my weight loss). And I plan to up my protein each meal.

And I plan to lay it all out right here in this journal; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I can't wait to see how it all plays out!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

From the looks of your stats you have come a long way. Way to go on such a great weight loss. Hubby did a round with me last year and used the calories and foods that Lipman suggests and he lost 22 lbs. in 21 days with the Homeopathic Hhcg so it did him well. I am not so good at posting my meals but have done this from time to time. I am going to try for a cleaner approach this time adding and not adding things as I go along. I am also not going to say how many days I will do but definitley get in the 21 days for sure and beyond that we shall see. I wear makeup and use lotions but use the Cinnamon Toothpaste instead of the regular one I use. I decided to leave out the Wasa Cracker I used the last round but may use it IF I need it. I will take it one day at a time and 1 pound at a time. I wish you the best and am excited to see how our rounds fair.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Downton Abbey Season 3...

Today is my 52nd birthday. My awesome husband bought me Season 3 of Downton Abbey. I have the ENTIRE season and can see episodes that PBS won't show for weeks and weeks!! What an awesome present!

We are going to leave in about 10 minutes to go see a matinee of the movie Lincoln. Since this is Day One of Loading, I can have a big tub of movie-threater-butter popcorn. YAY!

I went to the doctor's office this morning and picked up my first week of injections and took one this morning.

Stats for today:

I will post my menu later. Time to go to the movies!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope you enjoy the movie, have not seen it yet. Sounds like your hubby bought you the right birthday present, enjoy the gift and the popcorn.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Full of peas...

Thanks, Maggie, for the birthday wishes! It was a great day!

We went to the movies, I stuffed myself with popcorn and a bag of Sour Patch Kids candy (because they didn't have an Dots!); came home and made peanut butter cookies and gingerbread cookies (I only ate 3 of them, since I was full of popcorn!); and my sister and brother-in-law had flowers delivered to me and my two grown step-sons (26 and 23 years old -- still living with us -- yikes!) gave me a birthday card -- very uncharacteristic of them! I was in happy tears!

And I got slightly hammered on vodka and diet seltzer water.

So, this morning, I weighed 206.0. It's all that popcorn...and possibly the vodka...

I took my hCG injection, and then decided to make a kettle of split pea soup, since it's a favorite of mine and I won't be able to have it any more after today. I got the chunk of ham out of the freezer that I had been saving for this auspicious occasion, put 8 cups of water into the kettle, along with the 1-pound bag of split peas, thawed the ham in the microwave, cut it up and added it to the kettle, along with a dash of onion powder...

...and now I'm full of peas. Wow, I'm as full as a tick!!

I had to run to the office this morning to save my study guide from the hard drive to a flash drive, and then I came home with it and studied for my next exam (I work full time as well as go to school part time). I've been studying solid for over 6.5 hours this morning/afternoon and I just finished taking the Pre-assessment for the exam. I needed a cut score of 51%, and I got 72%. That's awesome!

But, I'm still so full of peas, and I had three peanut butter cookies and several cups of coffee with cream...

...I'm going to get up from this computer now and probably go play a few games on the PS3. I love Ratchet and Clank.

And then I will get my food ready for the remainder of this week. I start VLCD tomorrow.

02-16-13; 204.8 Load 1
02-17-13; 206.0 Load 2 (+1.2)
Old 02-18-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Heartburn city...

I sit here this morning sipping my very black coffee without creamer, reminding me visually and bitterly that I am now on Day One of VLC.

Good thing, too, since I ate a tremendous variety of fats yesterday to include peanuts, peas, olives, cheese, chocolates, puffcorn delites, -- to name a few -- and now those foodstuufs are reflected in the number on my scale this morning, as well as the heartburn I have (which I NEVER get!).

I'd like to lose 20 pounds this round. Let's be honest. I'd like to lose 25 pounds this round, but I won't be disappointed if I don't. I do plan to use my resistance bands and attend Jazzercise, so I may build muscle while simultaneously losing weight -- and some days may be a wash.

If so, I may lessen the strength training and core exercise, since I want to see the numbers go down.

It's 6:20 a.m. and I need to get my food ready and then get ready for work. Once I get to work, I will post my food menu for today in a separate post.

Onward...

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-18-2013 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

What I eat...Part One

I’m going to list here the foods I usually eat when I eat VLCD. I can remember trolling low calorie/hCG/message boards, looking for success stories, and what they ate. Now that I've completed 5 rounds, with pretty good success, I've decided to go ahead and put this out there for anyone else who might be out there looking for a pointers on what worked for me. As always, remember that YMMV:

Vegetables:
I always eat raw vegetables for lunch, and I always eat cooked vegetables for dinner. For some reason, a cooked vegetable for dinner seems more logical to me. Most times, I cook the vegetable along with the protein, add water and a lot of sugar-free spices, and I call it soup. A few rounds ago I got brave and started adding the Shiratake (Miracle) rice, and I think it’s okay to do that about once a week, but no more (for me…YMMV [your mileage may vary]).

Marinade/Vinaigrette:
I combine ˝ cup of apple cider vinegar and 2 cups of water with basil, oregano, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and whatever other sugar-free spices I feel like adding, and then I add a hefty portion of Splenda. I let that sit in the ‘fridge for a few days and then I use it on my lettuce as a vinaigrette. I also use it as a marinade for my sliced cucumbers.

My Beverages:
I drink black coffee each morning with 3 packets of Sweet-n-Low per 8-ounce cup. I usually drink at least 6 cups of coffee per day, when I can have cream in it. During VLCD days, during the first few days, I tend to drink 2 cups each morning. Towards the middle and end of the round, I usually don’t drink any coffee at all. It simply doesn’t seem worth it without the cream.

I make my own lemonade, using an empty 2-liter bottle. Into it, I put ˝ cup of bottled lemon juice, 2 cups of Splenda, and then I fill it up with water and shake it. On the days that I go to Jazzercise (about 3 times each week), I drink half of the 2-liter on those days (usually during, and right after, the class!). Since I’m allowed the juice of one lemon each day, I choose to use it this way. It’s probably more than the juice of one lemon, but I don’t care. Using it hasn’t hindered my weight loss in previous rounds.

I drink WalMart’s Clear American zero-calorie flavored sparkling water throughout the day. I also am trying water flavored with MiO calorie-free water enhancer. I used to drink bottled water flavored with the low calorie powdered packets, but realized (with horror!) that each packet has 5 calories per serving, and each packet has 2 servings, for 10 calories per packet! Yikes! So I’ve switched to the MiO now, since they tout zero calories. I’m not quite convinced of that, so I’ll likely stick with the WalMart zero-calorie flavored sparkling water. Between the lemonade and the water, I drink at least 4 quarts of water each day.

I drink vodka, mixed with zero-calorie sparkling water. The kind I buy is the jog o’vodka from the grocery store – the clear kind that’s only 42 proof. There are about 27 calories per ounce, and I’ve found that using a few ounces each week doesn’t hinder my weight loss. This is all about finding a plan I can live with.

Using Pre-cooked/canned foods:
I use pre-cooked and canned foods. It’s just way easier. The rule of thumb I use is to subtract 20% weight from the pre-cooked weight, and use that much pre-cooked food for my meal.

For instance, I use canned chicken, 98% fat-free. I open the can, dump the contents into a colander, turn the water faucet on to hot water, on the gentle spray setting, and I rinse away any fat clinging to the chicken chunks. Then, I place the chicken chunks onto paper toweling and pat them dry. Since my menu allows me 3.5 ounces of protein for lunch and dinner – raw weight – I use my digital scale and weigh about 2.8 or 3 ounces of chicken. My breakfast protein portion is 2 ounces, raw weight, so I use 1.6 ounces of cooked protein; most times it’s chicken or turkey or shrimp (without the tail).

I also use frozen vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, and cauliflower, and I use canned spinach. Again…it’s just way easier. When I use frozen (which are cooked) and canned vegetables, I use less than the 6 ounces I’m allowed. When I use raw vegetables, I use the full 6 ounces.

I'll go ahead and entitle this post What I eat...Part One, since I'm confident I will think of other things to add to this list.

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Grrrr...formatting...
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Water, water, everywhere...

Well, I've drank 2.5 liters of water today, and could easily do more, but I stopped when I read a few posts here on LCF from others who think that that is too much water, and drinking that much water could mess with my electrolytes.

But then I read a post by a member named shelbyla who said that she drinks 2 gallons of water a day, in addition to the 48 ounces of green tree she drinks.

And her stats are impressive.

Even more impressive is her knowledge of the human body, how it reacts -- and why it reacts -- to hCG.

So, I'm going to bet that she knows what she's talking about. Besides, I took an online quiz from About.com that tells me that, based on my weight and body size and other crcriteria, I can drink a bit more than 3 liters of water each day.

So, I'm raising my water bottle...cheers!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know how one can drink so much water, I am in the bathroom constantly. I know I didn't get enough in today but I know it helps with losing the poundage. I will go and get another filling of some H20 and hope I am not up all night in the bathroom. BTW- I like all the info. you post it really helps.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Not enough calories...

Good morning, Maggie! How are you doing today? Isn't today VLCD2 for you? We are on the same schedule. How fun is that?! Let me know how you're doing!

Yesterday = 533 calories

It was a stressful day and I had to force myself to eat half of my dinner, and I just couldn’t eat the rest. Instead, I chose to have a drink and go to bed. But, I was hungry again just before bed time. I didn’t want to eat the rest of my dinner, so I ate celery and radishes, instead. I'm quite sure that that's why I only lost 1.4 pounds. I will eat all of my food today, and steer clear of the drink.

I went to Jazzercise this morning. When I went to start the car to warm it up at 5:15 a.m., it was snowing a lot – great big, wet flakes of snow! I turned the car off and decided not to go. Then, I mustered my courage and decided to bite the bullet and get my butt to Jazzercise, despite the weather. I am glad I went! I left 15 minutes early so that I could get home in time to make my meals for the day. I also took the time to make a tray full of sugar-free popsicles. I used 16 ounces of water mixed with a packet of sugar-free grape flavoring and poured half of the mixture into my “tiny” ice cube tray. The popsicles are just the right size to pop into my mouth.

Tonight, after dinner, when I’m watching TV with the hubby, I will suck on those grape popsicles instead of eating extra calories!

I also plan to start my resistance band exercises tonight after work.

Onward...
02-19-13; VLCD2; 207.0 (-1.4)

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-19-2013 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: WYSIWYG formatting kinda didn't work this time...
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

It's just a number...

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum moments ago. I must be mindful of that next time.

I am going to postulate for a moment about a theory of mine regarding the mentality of the number on the scale.

In a former life, the number on the scale defined me, but only in my mind. No one else saw that number. No one else knew that number. Yet, I knew that number, and it plagued me with guilt if it was "bad." I liken it to what it must feel like to be a criminal who commits a crime, known only to himself. Let's say Harry stole a wallet from an unsuspecting soul. The victim doesn't know that he took it; the police don't know; Harry's clergy, nor wife, nor family, nor co-workers know. Yet he knows, and the crime weighs upon his mind all day, until he decides to right the wrong, confess, take his punishment, and alleviate himself of the guilt.

Like Harry, who committed a crime and was plagued with guilt, I thought of the number on the scale from the moment I got up in the morning 'til the moment I lay down at night. If it was a "good" number, I'd be chipper and cheerful, thinking positive thoughts about myself the entire day. If it was a "bad" one, I'd think that I was "bad" and then think of all of the possible reasons why that number wasn't what it "should" be, putting me into a sour mood for the rest of the day, expending and wasting energy trying to decipher what I did "wrong" to make the number "bad" and otherwise thinking negatively about myself.

Food is not a moral or ethical decision (despite what the vegans and vegetarians say <natch>). Food is food. The decision to eat all or none is not a moral decision. I weigh what I weigh not because I'm either good or bad, but because of input and output. It's really very simple.

We need to stop empowering the number on the scale to dictate who we are.

In conclusion, the number on the scale is just that -- a number. It is not my name, clothing size, intelligence aptitude, measure of ability to love, ______________ <--- (fill in the blank).

I'm so happy that I have learned that.

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-19-2013 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Corrected an error.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I will eat that grapefruit...

Statistics:

02-16-13; Load 1; 204.8
02-17-13; Load 2; 206.0 (+1.2)
02-18-13; VLCD1; 208.4 (+2.4)
02-20-13; VLCD3; 202.6 (-4.4)

Yesterday morning at work, at 9:35 a.m. I glanced at the wall clock, and then contemplated the grapefruit half I was supposed to eat for a snack at 10:00 a.m.

At 10:20, the grapefruit was still in it's GladWare container on my desk.

By 11:50 a.m. I rationalized that it was time to eat lunch, and I would save the grapefruit for later.

At 12:15 p.m., I fetched my salad from the 'fridge -- a concoction of 4 ounces of iceberg lettuce and 2 ounces of radishes. (Yes, I mixed the two vegetables. Gasp! I'm so rouge <natch>!) Along with the salad and my homemade vinaigrette, I also brought a container of 3 ounces of chicken breast.

I ate half the salad and one bite of the chicken and then I thought, "Lunch? Meh." I wasn't hungry. In fact, I was quite full. So, I quit eating.

At 5:00 p.m. when I left for the day, the grapefruit was still on my desk.

Dinner was the remainder of my dinner form the previous night. I simply wasn't hungry. But it didn't stop me from craving something sweet after dinner, so I ate 8 of my tiny sugar-free, homemade popsicles (they are the size of a thimble).

I also only drank 1.5 liters of water yesterday -- half of what I usually drink.

Today, I will eat that grapefruit.

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-20-2013 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Forgot the title.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I look forward to my 1/2 grapefruit, I do hope you enjoy yours too!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

It's the grapefruit's fault...

Thanks, Maggie, for always visiting my journal. I really appreciate it that someone is reading what I write.

Today has been a troublesome day. I am so bloated and don't know why. This happens when I ovulate, and I don't understand it. Am I having a period? Am I NOT having a period? Something is happening, as evidenced by the panty liner, but WHAT??! I've spoken with the OB/GYN about it and she just said, "expect to gain about 50 pounds during menopause."

Um. That isn't an option for me. Not now. Not ever.

It is ever so troubling.

From doing 4 rounds of Rx injection hCG, and 1 "almost" round of hCG drops, I should realize that the body shaping will happen...again...

...I hope...

But as of this moment -- and nearly the entire day, really -- I feel like crying. I just explained it to my wonderful husband (who endures all things, with me) that I feel that I will never look slim again. My abdomen is super bloated and there's nothing I can do about it. It is so bloated that the waistband of my elastic pants CUT into me All.Day.Long.!!!

It happened this morning just after I ate that bloody grapefruit...

...and, as I just explained to the hubby, I have a business meeting to attend in Atlanta, Georgia on Monday and Tuesday, and I don't want to look 5 months pregnant, for God's sake!

Please...someone...reassure me that the miracle of hCG will shape my middle section, once again...

Just need to hear it...right now...thanks...

Spiraling out of control is now done for today...on this 3rd day of VLCD and 5th day of hCG.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do know we woman going through menupause can gain weight during it. I had a 1/2 grapefruit this morning and I have had some bloating today as well. I am not sure if it is the grapefruit or just my hormones. I started Hhcg after Tom but I had a day or two of light spotting so I'm not sure. I think I will not eat the grapefruit tomorrow and see how I do. Gosh this is a guessing game isn't it.

I read where bloating is common also in menupause.

Last edited by MagieDen; 02-20-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Skipping the grapefruit, upping the protein...

Statistics:

02-16-13; Load 1; 204.8
02-18-13; VLCD1; 208.4 (+2.4)
02-20-13; VLCD3; 202.6 (-4.4)
02-21-13; VLCD4; 201.6 (-1.0)

Thanks, Maggie, for validating my rant! I don't think I will have the grapefruit this morning. Instead, I may have a small snack of protein, and will see what happens. I also read online that lemon in water helps with bloating. Well, I have my homemade lemonade and just drank some of it, and I drank some yesterday, too. I hope this eases up.

At least I'm down 6.8 pounds from my highest load weight. At least I didn't have a gain. Which leads me to believe that this is not water retention.

Thank goodness!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't have a gain also and had a loss this morning. I am down 8 which does include my 3 lb. load weight so 5 lbs gone that are new.. I figure I ate the stuff and gainned and now I released it so I count it. I read more about bloating on a menupause site and celery and asparagus helps with water retention. I have been eating alot of celery since starting so I don't know maybe give that a try if you like celery, I know some do not. Glad to hear you had a release, also great when that happens.

Last edited by MagieDen; 02-21-2013 at 03:37 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Expect the worst, and hope for the best...

Maggie, your losses are great! And I really appreciate your comments!

My grapefruit is sitting here on my desk. I had a bathroom experience this morning (as another member here calls it...LOL!) and the bloating wasn't as bad as it was yesterday.

However, when I came to work today, I did what I did yesterday morning, and made myself a cup of instant coffee, using Folgers instant decaf.

After I drank the entire cup, I felt the bloating start again. I think that, perhaps, it is the instant coffee causing the bloat. Then again, I used to drink instant coffee exclusively for years...and years...with no bloating.

I dunno.

I'm kind of tired trying to figure it out and I'm making myself crazy with it, so I will just stop it.

Instead, I'll follow my eating plan, drink my water, and do everything I know to be correct, and hope for the best.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Caffeine is something I read should be limited when in Menupause, supposedly that could be it unless the instant coffee is Decaffeinated.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

A bunch of celery is comprised of stalks and ribs...

Statistics:

Week 1; (-9.0)

02-16-13; Load 1; 204.8
02-18-13; VLCD 1; 208.4 (+2.4)
02-19-13; VLCD 2; 207.0 (-1.4)
02-20-13; VLCD 3; 202.6 (-4.4)
02-21-13; VLCD 4; 201.6 (-1.0)
02-22-13; VLCD 5; 199.4 (-2.2)

Yesterday, I didn't eat my grapefruit. In fact, yesterday was such a frantic day at work, that I didn't get to eat lunch until 2:30 p.m. I simply dashed home and weighed out 3 ounces of shrimp, ate it, and dashed back to work and still had to work late.

So, I had shrimp for breakfast, shrimp for lunch, and dinner was my dinner-sized portions of chicken and cauliflower. My snack after dinner, and during watching TV with the hubby, was a rib of celery and 6 of my thimble popsicles.

Aside:

Concerning celery. Designations of celery sizes are this: the entire unit is called a stalk. If you snap off an entire piece, that's called a rib. If you slice the rib lengthwise, the pieces are called strips. If you cut the rib crossways, the pieces are called chunks.

Why is this important to know? Because if you use on online food journal, as I do -- the one named Phitday (I can't use the proper nomenclature for LCF site violations) -- most food journals get it wrong, and that matters when you are adding up nutrients for the day.

For instance, I ate a rib of celery last night. There is no such designation on Phitday. As you can see, there are only these from which to choose:

Were it REALLY to be a large stalk of celery, 11" - 12" long, then that would equate to about a pound of celery. The caloric difference between a rib and an entire stalk of celery is tremendous.

Click this for a clarification of the difference between celery stalks and ribs.

I'll step down from my soapbox now and get ready for work.

Last edited by SkepticalMe; 02-22-2013 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Edited picture tags
Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Rats!

Well, rats! I posted a picture of a snapshot from my food journal and it was there when I left home, but at work, I can't see it.

Hmmm.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Perspective

Statistics:

Week 1; (-9.0)

02-23-13; VLCD 6; 198.6 (-.8)

I ate an extra celery stalk last night after dinner as a snack, instead of my thimble popsicles. I could say that that is perhaps why I "only" lost .8 pounds since yesterday. How silly does that sound? Most people would love to lose 2 pounds per week. I lost nearly 1 pound in one day. Perspective. Simple as that.

The car is warming up so I must dash. I have to go pick up my injections.

I will be back...
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Week 1; (-9.0)

02-24-13; VLCD 7; 198.4 (-.4)

Getting ready for my trip to Atlanta early in the morning. Must find something to take with me to eat. I hope I can take food in my purse.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Interesting...

Week 1; (-9.0)

02-25-13; VLCD 8; 197.4 (-1.0)

Yesterday I had an horrific headache much of the day. Instead of coffee -- since it is a diuretic -- I drank water, water, and more water, and decaffeinated flavored herbal teas much of the day. Because Sundays I do not inject with hCG, I was terribly hungry. I in addition to my normal amount of food, I also ate more protein and switched my fruit from a grapefruit to an apple.

I was anticipating a gain today from the extra food but, instead, lost 1 pound.

And now I'm away to Atlanta for a business meeting. Since I have no choice in what they will be ordering for us to eat today and tomorrow, I am taking solid food in my purse, and hope it will suffice.

Onward...
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalMe View Post
Week 1; (-9.0)

02-25-13; VLCD 8; 197.4 (-1.0)

Yesterday I had an horrific headache much of the day. Instead of coffee -- since it is a diuretic -- I drank water, water, and more water, and decaffeinated flavored herbal teas much of the day. Because Sundays I do not inject with hCG, I was terribly hungry. I in addition to my normal amount of food, I also ate more protein and switched my fruit from a grapefruit to an apple.

I was anticipating a gain today from the extra food but, instead, lost 1 pound.

And now I'm away to Atlanta for a business meeting. Since I have no choice in what they will be ordering for us to eat today and tomorrow, I am taking solid food in my purse, and hope it will suffice.

Onward...
Awesome on the loss of another pound. Have a safe trip!