Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nomorepepsi
Stats: 250/243/135
WOE: Modified Greysheeters
Start Date: January 2013
Kicking sugar's ass

Hi,

Starting this weight-loss journal is difficult, because technically I'm still drinking what I'm not supposed to drink -- Coca-Cola. That's me, planning to really look skinny in skinny jeans, before I head to the corner supermarket and buy "healthy" rice and beans. Mainstream medicine says that carbs are good for you. However, when I see the older Latinos in my neighborhood with diabetes, I beg to differ.

Tomorrow, I'll eat pineapple, cheese, and black coffee for breakfast. How will I cut the pineapple? I'll love to figure that out. I only have three meals daily, and between meals, I drink water, coffee, tea, and diet beverages. Everything is measured, and I eat LOTS of veggies. I stay away from sugar, starch (including bananas, an old favorite), and other carbs. I plan to visit Canada this summer: but the starchy, cheesy Quebec favorite poutine will not touch my lips.

What do you think about the mainstream health complex pushing a high-carb, low-fat diet? I love the First Lady Michelle Obama, and I think that it's great that she has a garden at the White House... but she pushes the same old low-fat line for battling obesity. Americans actually ate more fat in the past -- but were slimmer... how do you explain your WOE to people who still insist on high-carb, low-fat? Behlor
nomorepepsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Quote:
how do you explain your WOE to people who still insist on high-carb, low-fat?
I do a lot of reading on the subject, so when I meet someone who is particularly militant in their feelings against low carb, I tell them to read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or I direct them to Google "sugar addiction".

I've met MANY people like this in the past 12 years---don't allow those who have been brainwashed dictate how you get healthy.

My advice for kicking the Pepsi---follow a completely low carb diet for 3 or 4 days, (no sugar at all--no fruit, no starch, no wheat) and get into ketosis. Once you've gotten to that point, you won't crave sugar any longer. Drink Diet soda if you need something fizzy....or carbonated water....

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice... I may try to avoid fruit for the next couple of days (even though I love my fresh pineapple!) Sugar addiction is real... I tried to bin the sweets so many times -- and now I can't even fit into plus-size stockings I had enough... by the way, I want to read your journal... love to hear from an unapologetic Atkins follower... Behlor

Last edited by nomorepepsi; 01-11-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Ate my fruit and cheese for breakfast... still sipping on my unsweetened tea... my first morning without a sugar high feels good, but I still fear the "dollar and grumbling stomach" situation... will I succumb to a dollar menu at McDonalds/Burger King/Wendy's? I look forward to lunch -- low-carb Salisbury steak, sauteed broccoli, and a carrot stick... sounds better than a donut, don't you think? How do you focus on your LC goals in a starchy, sugary world? Behlor
Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Lunch...

Salisbury steak
Sauteed broccoli florets
Carrot stick

The steak didn't taste the way I wanted, so I'll take the advice of fellow LC Friends the next time... but I sauteed the broccoli in butter... fat does a veggie good! Traveled to Marshalls and Target, got depressed at seeing the tiny clothes I couldn't fit... bought ingredients for dinner, and imagined eating brie cheese

Behlor
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Why just imagine eating the Brie? You can certainly enjoy it with low carb eating!

I think the hardest thing is to not go all-in on a low-carb diet. You won't get to ketosis, and you won't break old habits. After I do two weeks of induction, there is nothing better than broccoli with real butter melted over it. Except maybe some Yummy cheese - extra sharp white cheddar being my favorite.

As for what I say, I tell folks I've cut starches and sugar. If they keep asking, which few do, I tell them about Taubes' book and how much a difference it made to me. And that I started with that but have since read Atkins, this website, and more. Wheat Belly was pretty influential to me, as well. If an argument persists, I say that I have a broken metabolism, and this is what it takes for me.

Generally that doesn't happen. People are only superficially interested, unless they too have gone through low-carb weight loss.

Good luck to you. It's hard to change old habits, especially ones that are so reinforced by your surroundings. You can do it!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I agree with everything Julia said. And you CAN do this. You will be successful. You already have a great mindset and resolve.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

It's funny... I've been low-carb for a few days now, and I'm not craving sugar and grains that much... I guess it's because I plan each meal before I cook... I occasionally see a box of doughnuts, and want a little taste, but I tell myself that sugar and carbs don't taste as good as thin feels... it's an un-PC saying, but it keeps me motivated... Behlor
Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Dinner for 1.13.13

2 oz. Brie cheese
Sauteed turnip greens
Salad w/ Ken's blue cheese dressing

I didn't like the turnip greens that much... so I'm sticking to collards with bacon... Behlor
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Breakfast

Pineapple
Scrambled egg
Unsweetened tea

Today, I'll head to my mom's house -- carb hell, as I call it... I don't know if it's because of my parents' separation, or the fact that my mom works so hard at her advanced age, but carbs and alcohol seems to be her drug of choice... she takes medicine for her high blood pressure, but it doesn't put me at ease... she'll rather take the prescription drugs than stay goodbye to the bread, cookies, and cakes... I should know, I share her carb addiction too... my mom's little kitchen is a viper's nest... I admit that saying no to sugar will be hard today... Behlor
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Mom's house wasn't as scary as I thought... I saw the typical crackers, cans of beans, and bag of white sugar, but I stood my ground pretty well -- except for a fillet of fried fish, which I'm going to enjoy... I've lost five pounds in one week, and I already feel skinnier (it's nice to slip your pants up your legs and not feel ready to burst!) My menus...

Lunch:

Two beef franks w/ mustard
Half a kosher dill pickle

Dinner

One fillet of fried whiting
Collard greens
Half a kosher dill pickle

Behlor
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Feeling all so pretty and bright today, even though I fell off the wagon a little last night I'm talking to an editor of a convenience-store trade magazine today, and I hope that I get an assignment from him.... they pay $800 and $1200 per article, so they are no joke!

Menu for today:

Breakfast

Pineapple
Cheddar cheese
Unsweetened tea

Lunch

Two pieces of rosemary chicken
One carrot stick

Dinner

Cream of broccoli soup
Green beans
Salad w/ blue cheese dressing
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

You asked earlier in the thread how I stick to my goals in a high carb world. Clearly, it's difficult because I've gained and lost 70lbs twice in the past 10 years.

This time my health and the ability to be mobile keeps me on track. At 355, I was getting to the point of not being able to walk distances and I just hate that. Eating the foods I enjoy wasn't worth it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Melle,

It's true... one day, you have to choose... I turn 33 this year, and I'm no longer at the age where I can be frivolous with my body -- mentally, sexually, or weigh-wise. I spent my twenties acting in the same insane manner as my friends, and it got me nothing but a stay in the hospital, loneliness, and an hundred-pound weight gain... part of my recovery is choosing stuff that's better for me in the long run... it's hard, but you're not guaranteed a cushion on your ass when you're born... so deal with it... Behlor
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hi,

The sidewalks outside are slushy and treacherous! Survived it though, and I bought to make lunch and dinner:

Breakfast

Coffee w/ heavy cream
(1) clementine

Lunch

Hot wings w/ blue cheese dressing
(3) dill pickle spears

Dinner

Low carb chicken and veggie stir fry
Salad w/ blue cheese dressing

Behlor
Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Binged on carbs over the last couple of days... I am not feeling so good I want to hear some affirmations, something that'll give me hope... Behlor
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
You can start back with your next meal. What's done is done, and doesn't make you a bad person. Every slip can either lead to righting yourself... Or falling. Choose to not fall.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Hang in there... you can do this!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Behlor, get back in and start posting girl. You can drop those carbs. Go to the store and get your favorite LC foods and ditch those carbs. You can do it.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Behhhhloooorrr?

Where'd you go?

Please come back--I miss you on my blog AND I think you need us right now.