Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sldeal
Stats: 187/165/150
WOE: Atkins 72/Fast5
Start Date: December 27, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldeal View Post
This is day 2 for me. My window is 2pm - 8pm, but I didn't get to eat until 3pm. I only managed to eat 1/2 of my steak

L - steak w/onions, broccoli w/cheese
D -celery w/egg salad (not sure yet)
S - LC ice cream 1/2cup homemade (heavy whipping cream, 2 Splenda, 1tsp vanilla)
drinks (no sugar) - ice tea, essence of peppermint tea, coca cola zero, crystal lite lemonade.

It's 5:45pm which leaves me with little over 2hrs before my window close and I'm still full, I'm hoping I can get that egg salad down my throat, or I might have to change my window (3pm -9pm).
At 7pm I caved in and decided to eat something, I was too to eat the egg salad so I decided to eat the other half of my steak w the fat. According to Atkins when we take in more fat we don't stay as hungry plus we fill fuller. Which is why I ate the fat, something I use to always throwaway. Who can have an appetite after swallowing a hunk of fat???

Last edited by sldeal; 01-07-2013 at 07:02 AM..
sldeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

This is day 3 of my Fast 5 diet and unlike yesterday where I woke up hungry it was almost the opposite this morning. I feel like I need to eat something but I'm definitely not hungry, so I guess the fat really works.

My liquids for today will consist of essence of peppermint tea, bone broth, and ice tea - of course the teas will be sweetened with splenda. I had a sip of my bone broth earlier this morning just to see what it tasted like (made it yesterday but didn't sample it) and it was pretty good. I can see where that will probably keep my appetite at bay for most of the morning. For the teas I'm using a combination of ginger, wild berry & green tea, I want to see if I can restrict myself from a lot of caffeine.

How I made the bone broth:

Chicken bones, onions, celery & carrots boiled together with 1 cap of apple vinegar. After 3-4 hours of simmering I added a dash of salt and juice for 1/2 lemon. I let it refrigerate and then skinned all of the fat of it (when fasting I'm thinking I shouldn't have any fat in my drinks). In total it made about 4 cups - hopefully enough to last for the week. My dilemma now is where to get chicken bones to make more broth for following weeks.

"Remember, your tape measure is a better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat losses..." Dr. Atkins

Mini Goals
Size 12 - April 2013 - Goal met April 1, 2013
Size 10 - Nov 2013
Size 8 - April 2014 (this will take a miracle)

Last edited by sldeal; 01-07-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

How do I feel about Fast 5 /LC

I'm reading DADR and I see where Atkins says after being on induction for 1 week we should incorporate at least 5 carbs into our meal plan. I opted for broccoli & onions on my steak, which is why I cooked it on Sunday. By reading his book I'm seeing now where I went wrong when I had started LC years ago. I assumed induction was for 2 weeks and afterwards you could just go crazy over LC foods, but that isn't true. What I understand him to say is once our body goes into ketosis, there are no carbs in our body so our body starts burning fat. Each week we should see if we can introduce a new LC food into our body, if it takes us out of ketosis we should stop.

I'm trying to stick with this as I do Fast 5. The bulk of my foods will be LC based on different levels. I don't have keto sticks so I gonna have to do a lot of guessing. I'm thinking I'm on Level 2, so I've already included broccoli & onions into my diet, and like I mentioned I didn't wake up starving this morning plus I felt satisfied last night.

I'm a lazy cook, so I have steak leftover for another 2-3 days, that I will be eating. I'll have steak, onions & broccoli for lunch today, and perhaps tomorrow try spinach.

Here's hoping for a good Fast 5/LC Day!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldeal View Post
This is day 3 of my Fast 5 diet and unlike yesterday where I woke up hungry it was almost the opposite this morning. I feel like I need to eat something but I'm definitely not hungry, so I guess the fat really works.

My liquids for today will consist of essence of peppermint tea, bone broth, and ice tea - of course the teas will be sweetened with splenda. I had a sip of my bone broth earlier this morning just to see what it tasted like (made it yesterday but didn't sample it) and it was pretty good. I can see where that will probably keep my appetite at bay for most of the morning. For the teas I'm using a combination of ginger, wild berry & green tea, I want to see if I can restrict myself from a lot of caffeine.

How I made the bone broth:

Chicken bones, onions, celery & carrots boiled together with 1 cap of apple vinegar. After 3-4 hours of simmering I added a dash of salt and juice for 1/2 lemon. I let it refrigerate and then skinned all of the fat of it (when fasting I'm thinking I shouldn't have any fat in my drinks). In total it made about 4 cups - hopefully enough to last for the week. My dilemma now is where to get chicken bones to make more broth for following weeks.
Forgot to mention I had to strain this also, no crunchy veggies allowed.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

I'm posting this regarding my appetite & generally how I'm feeling today on Fast5/LC.

My window yesterday was 2pm - 8pm (giving myself a 6hour window). I didn't eat until 3pm - steak w/onions, brocolli w/cheese & homemade LC ice cream (1/2 cup). I wasn't able to eat all of my steak, just half. Although I was still full, sometime before 7pm, I decided to eat the other half of my steak w/fat.

When I woke up this morning there were no hunger pains and I still felt full from yesterday. I had a cup of tea around 8am, although I wasn't hungry, my mind was telling me that I should have something to eat, so around 10am I had 1/4 cup of my bone broth; again around 11am, still not hungry but psychology thinking I should eat something I had a small glass of ice tea sweetened with splenda. It's now around 1:30pm, I'm still sipping on my ice tea and I'm feeling full. It's almost my window for eating (2pm). :-)

So I need to ask myself, as I mentioned earlier, when I ate my steak last night I actually savoured the fat as well (not all of it); can it be that it's the fat that has kept me satisfied for these 19 hours??? I very seldom eat beef, I'm a chicken lover, would chicken have carried me over for these 19 hours? I was planning to have egg salad for dinner, I'm going to load it with mayonnaise, hoping I will have this same affect tomorrow.

My stomach isn't poking out as much, and my entire system feels as if it's resting, not sure how that is possible when I haven't fed it with anything. If I were to compare my body to a car, I would say I had a tune up, and my body is running quietly and smoothly.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

3days on Fast5 - lost 3.6lbs!

Well I snuck and stepped on my scale this morning, I was suppose to weigh in on Friday or Saturday, couldn't believe I was down 3.6 lbs I know it's water but who cares! I'm now 183.4. My monthly goal is 5lbs a month, just need to lose 1.4lbs to meet my goal for this month!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I got through my fast 5 today, no strong hunger pains :yippie:

L- steak w/onions, broccoli
S - egg salad, 2celery sticks
Liquids -essence of peppermint tea, bone broth, herbal ice tea, crystal lite lemonade, water

I'm not sure I'm eating enough, I'm just to stuffed to eat.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Great, woke up and I'm not hungry! Took measurements and in total lost 4-3/4" And yesterday lost 3.6 lbs. great way to start the week. Lets hope I stay on a losing streak for the remaining of the year, as it relates to pounds not finances

Measurements
Waist - 38 3/4
Lower hip - 48 1/2
Upper hip - 46 1/2
L thigh - 28 1/2
R thigh - 28 1/4
Chest - 48

I think I better move scale and measuring tape to other room, that way I won't go crazy measuring myself everyday, easy way to get depressed.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

At 12:00 the hunger pains started hitting me Still they weren't intense pains but the gnawing was obvious. I already had teas & bone broth, so I decided to drink some water with lime juice. Normally, I can't drink water on an empty stomach, total chaos but it worked and I'm feeling fine. Still a little gnawing in the belly, but I'm sure it's going to be worth it in the end! I'm a little concern about me not eating very much so I have some nuts I'll probably snack on once my window opens and I think when I get home I'll make a lowcarb flax muffin. The carbs I'm putting in right now are more at induction level, I think I need a few carbs more, or maybe just more fat???? I guess I'm gonna have to play with this.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Lunch couldn't come soon enough. My window is at 2pm but I tried to wait until 2:30 (you know, trying to take control of my body kinda thing). I had brought some nuts with me to munch on I ate about 10 nuts (3 cashews, 4 or 5 almonds, 1/2 pecan, 1 whole nut) and then it clicked. DADR doesn't mention eating nuts until the 3rd or 4th level. I just reached the 2nd level. Hope I didn't do too much damage By 2:15 I was in the kitchen chowing. Right now I feel full but not stuffed. As usual, I don't have anything cook at home other than the steak I plan on having for lunch tomorrow, so I'll stop at Burger King and perhaps get a whopper. I won't make the flax muffin until I reach the 3rd level, so for now I'll try to fill myself up with fat & protein.

L - steak w/onions; celery sticks; ranch dressing; coca cola zero

Another thing, I realize I don't get hungry until I look at the clock, which is right in front of my door. I find I'm actually counting the hours before 2pm, I'm sure this contributes to me getting hungry. Tomorrow I'll just keep my office door closed and stay busy, I'm sure that will help.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Finished reading DADR

I just finished reading DADR and now I know why I never loss very much weight doing LC. Everything I did was wrong.

1. During induction ( level 1) there are certain meats and seafood you shouldn't eat, never knew that. I thought any kind of meat was allowed, I never limited my selection

2. During induction your only veggie should be a small salad (1 cup) twice a day, no tomatoes for level 1. I always had large salads - with 3 or 4 cups of lettuce and slices of tomatoes, along with other vegetables and beans!

3. Cream cheese is not allowed for level 1. I always included in my WOE from day 1

4. You can only have 4 tsp of heavy cream I used globs in my tea

5. Only 4oz hard cheese a day. What? I ate any kind of cheese, and I definitely ate more then 4oz

6. Once you complete induction you should slowly introduce carbs ( no more than 5 grams per day) into your WOE by Levels. Levels? What levels? When I completed induction I included everything in my WOE at once, nuts, flax, etc.

I won't say I didn't lose weight when I did low carb its just that my loss occurred at a very slow pace. I wish I knew then what I know now. It pays to read, read, and read. Or better yet, sometimes it pays to purchase the book, forums like this are helpful but you don't get the full scoop!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Foods for today
L- steak w/onions, celery, ranch dressing, coca cola zero
S- 3 turkey roll ups w/ cheese, mustard and mayo; egg salad
Drinks -water, crystal lite lemonade, ice tea(herbal), bone broth
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Woke up this morning full

It appears my snack from last night was fatty enough to keep me full up until this morning. I'm going to see how long this last. Before leaving for work I had a cup of bone broth It's 8:30, and I'm at the office, by this time I would have poured my first cup of tea. I'm hoping for a good day with little or no hunger pains
Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Day 5 - Fast Five/LC

Wow, I didn't get my cup of tea until 12noon I guess that means my body is finally adapting to the Fast 5/LC WOE. I was pretty busy today also, so that might be the reason as well. Today is day five for me, if I can keep up with this WOE for 10 days I'm sure I can make it a lifestyle change. I also have to remember not to get discouraged if I step on the scale and don't see a weight loss, according to Herring it takes 2 weeks for our bodies to adjust. What I need is patience.

It's 1:15 and I'm not hungry yet Let's see what happens when my window opens at 2pm.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

My window closed and I'm through stuffing my face for today Actually I had a very good day, I experienced little to no hunger pains, and didn't get hungry until after 12 noon today, and even then I wasn't hungry. Oh, if everyday could be like today.

L - 1/2 steak w/onions; fried chicken wing; celery w/ranch; diet coke
S - egg salad; crystal lite lemonade
Liquids - bone broth; essence of peppermint tea; diet coke, crystal lite lemonade; water
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I surprised myself this morning. Woke up with lots of energy and managed to get my clothes washed & dried before heading off to work this morning.

I snacked on egg salad last night and I'm still feeling full this morning. It's hard to believe that I can eat so little and feel so full, ummm, let me rephrase, I feel stuff! Yesterday this lasted until 12noon, I'm hoping for the same or better today.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Stop hating, feeling sorry for myself

Sometimes I have those mornings where I hate that I let myself get so out of shape. I remember getting my first "love handle" at 42 yrs. I was on my way to the beach, looked at myself in my bathing suit and couldn't figure out what those bulges were. I immediately changed bathing suits. That's when I should have done something, but I didn't. I kept eating, kept getting fat, kept buying larger sizes. Now, years later, I'm beating up myself because I can't get this stupid weight off fast enough . I changed my woe for 1 week and I expect to see a drastic loss of 50 lbs. I really have to learn patience.

So, this morning, I decided rather than feel sorry for myself or hating myself because the pounds aren't coming off fast enough I would celebrate by wearing all of my "fat" clothes before they get to big for me. Going forward I'm not going to focus on the clothes that are too small and I can't wear, I'm going to focus on all of the large clothes that I can wear now, and each morning as I dress for work, I'm going to tell myself that soon, I won't be able to wear these "fat" clothes, soon these "fat" clothes will be donated to the Salvation Army.

Starting today I gotta make the most of my "fat" clothes because in a few weeks they'll be too large for me to wear and I'll have to start wearing all of my old skinny clothes hanging in the closet.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MagieDen
From the looks of it you are learning some really valueable lessons we all have to learn in the process to shedding the pounds. Glad to read that you are in a better frame of mind, kudos to you for looking at those fat clothes as something positive instead of negative.

KUTGW!

MagieDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagieDen View Post
From the looks of it you are learning some really valueable lessons we all have to learn in the process to shedding the pounds. Glad to read that you are in a better frame of mind, kudos to you for looking at those fat clothes as something positive instead of negative.

KUTGW!

Magie thanks for dropping by , yep in a few more weeks, my "fat" clothes will be to large for me and I'll need a whole new wardrobe.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

My day started off great, then I went into our kitchen to get some tea. There were bags on the table filled with breakfast foods, and the aroma was delicious. Out of nowhere, hunger hit me, no, I can't say hunger because I was still feeling full from last night, psychologically my mind was telling me that I needed to eat something. By 12noon, I was ready to cave in. I had to keep telling myself that I could make it, however, by 2:02pm I reached for my emergency supply of nuts. Thank God!

Funny though, I was called into a meeting before I could make it to lunch, the meeting didn't end until 3pm and guess what? I wasn't hungry! Ain't that a bunch of crap! I'm just happy I didn't cave, I wish losing weight wasn't so difficult, the world would definitely be a better place .

Last edited by sldeal; 01-10-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Another successful day

I'm not feeling too gloomy right now, just a rough day especially with me wanting to eat before my window. I'm glad I had the will power to say 'no', but it was so difficult.

Traffic coming home was horrific, I kept thinking I wouldn't get home before my window closed at 7pm. Yeah, I know I said I would extend it until 8pm on those days when I don't get home in time, but I really want to keep it 2pm-7pm.

Great, I was able to gobble a Wendy's burger and lemonade minutes before closing. Funny while in traffic on the way home all I kept thinking was about all the food I was going to gobble down. One burger & I'm stuffed. I think I'm going to enjoy being a light eater, shoot, that's a new one for me.

L - chicken salad, coca cola zero
D - Wendy's baconator (bunless, no tomatoes, no ketchup); crystal lite lemonade
S - nuts approx 10 - 15

Goodnight Fast 5 Day #6; Hello Fast 5 Day #7
Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Slightly hungry this morning, but nothing I can't deal with. Can't wait until my body is fully programmed to this WOL this WOE. Every morning, before leaving for work, I find myself staring in the fridge for breakfast food & snacks and each time I have to remind myself I don't eat breakfast. It's not that I'm hungry during this time it's just habit. I didn't bring lunch today but will probably have another baconator from Wendy's.

I tried to get in 10 minutes of exercise today, running in place. I know it's nothing but I've never fasted like this before, and Herring did say we should go into exercises slowly so I just want to see how I'll do. It didn't raise my appetite, so maybe I can take a walk on the beach tomorrow, if it doesn't make me feel weak or dizzy I'll try to get back into light walking. Monday, is my official weigh in day and I need to see a 1lb drop. I can only hope...

Last edited by sldeal; 01-11-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Bummer, just had my doctor's visit and he said no exercise until next visit which is 2 weeks from now.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Just posting yesterday's food intake:

L - 1/2 steak, coke zero
D - KFC double down, crystal lite lemonade
S - 10 - 15 nuts
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Had a meeting today so I had to move my window 3-8. Stopped at Burger King and got a double whopper w/bacon (bunless). Was stuffed after that so didn't eat anything else until about 7pm.

L - double whopper (bunless) w/bacon & cheese; crystal lite lemonade
S - nuts, slim jim, coke zero
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Wow, can't believe I didn't post yesterday. I'm still on track, my food intake for Sunday was

D - 3 fried chicken wings, cabbage, pumpkin, LC homemade ice cream (1/2 c); coke zero.
S - nuts

I'm too lazy to cook, so chances are I'll be eating the same foods for the next few days.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Jumped on the scale this morning and theirs no change, but before I could feel disappointed I pulled out the measuring tape

Measurements 12.29.12....................Measurements 1.14.13
Chest - 49 ....................................... 471/2
Bra - 38DDD .................................... 38DDD
Waist - 40........................................ 37 3/4
Lower Hip - 49 1/2............................. 48 1/2
Upper Hip - 47................................... 46 1/2
Left Thigh - 29 1/2............................. 28 1/2
Right Thigh - 29 1/4............................ 28 1/4
Wrist - 6 1/4......................................6 1/4
Shoe Size 6 1/2 .................................. 6 1/2
Dress Size ........................................ 14W

To date I've lost 6 1/4" I'm definitely feeling it in my clothes...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Didn't open my window for eating until 3pm yesterday. My food intake was:

L - 3 fried chicken wings, cabbage, pumpkin
D - 3 fried chicken wings w/ranch
S - nuts
Fluids - water (trying to drink plenty), crystal lite lemonade, chicken bouillon, herbal ice tea

Closed my window at 7pm. Which means I gave myself 4 hours rather than 5 hours or 20 hours of fasting!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Hungry

Went to bed waaay too early last night, which means I woke up too early and now I'm hungry it's only 8:49am, hope I can make it to my window...

Good news, I came across a Fast5 group on Facebook that's very encouraging and supportive. I've been participating in discussions and found it helps me to stay true to this woe. I've already convinced myself that I have to give it until April before I form any strong opinions, but for now, I do like how I feel and how I appear to have taken control of my eating habits. I guess sometimes it has to start "within".
Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Well I made it to my window and beyond . Didn't get to break my fast until 3pm, once again I managed to fast for 20 hrs

L- 3fried chicken wings w/ranch, cabbage, pumpkin
D-3fried chicken wings w/ranch
Liquids- chicken bouillon, ice tea, crystal lite lemonade, water

I think I got in 50+oz of water today.

Newsflash .... I just bought chicken bouillon cubes over weekend. Yesterday I used cube it was good but a bit too rich for me. So today I decided to use half of a cube, tasted good but still a bit too much sodium for me. So how about I look at the serving size this evening and the suggested serving is 1/4 cube! I can't imagine the sodium I introduced into my body yesterday and today. 1/4 cube is around 630 mg of sodium! A single cube is quadruple that!!! My body will be retaining water for the remaining of he week. There's no way I can drink enough water to flush it out. This is what happens when you don't read the label I feel like an idiot