Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Blonde with a Rose.... Living HFLC/NK/Primal (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/791200-blonde-rose-living-hflc-nk-primal.html)

Blonde with a Rose 12-11-2012 11:41 AM

Blonde with a Rose.... Living HFLC/NK/Primal

This is a new WOE for me. I'm no longer following JUDDD (although I think it's a great way of eating) and I have returned to my low carb roots. With a twist. It's called Nutritional Ketosis. There are currently good threads to check out here on Low Carb Friends. If you're interested, start with this one:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nu...r-version.html

Doing JUDDD for a year, I lost 40lbs. I also learned a lot about hunger, perceived and real. It was perfect plan for me. After that year or so, I did nothing and gained back 18lbs. Since starting NK I've lost three pounds. But that's not the exciting part. Here's my story. Nine or ten weeks ago I decided to tackle my wheat addiction. Yes. Addiction. I stopped eating it altogether. It was hard. I went through withdrawal and depression. I looked for alternative "breads". I made almond and peanut butter bread, coconut drop biscuits, I tried and failed to make an edible "Oopsie" roll. It didn't matter anyway because nothing was a suitable replacement. Nothing. I think that was part of the despair/depression, but I also believe it was physical. Then all of sudden after about 4 weeks wheat-free, I stopped caring about it. At all. Not only that but I was able to put all grains in perspective and make the decision to stop eating grains. You're wondering about the exciting part, right? Okay here it is. I feel fantastic.

In a nutshell, this is what I'm currently doing. This woe makes me feel good.

1) I have a protein number that I need to hit everyday (92gms). Believe it or not it doesn't take a lot to hit this number. This is a medium protein plan.

2) I try to keep carbs under 30 total. I don't count net carbs I count total carbs. I have been consistently under 5% carbs most of the time. I eat romaine, green beans, olives, salad veggies and such, at most two cups a day. When I reach my goal weight I will gradually add in more vegetables.

3) I eat fat to satiety. I do this by cooking in butter or coconut oil. Using HWC in my coffee and sometimes butter. I use extra mayo if I make tuna salad. Cheese of course. If I'm at my protein goal and still have many missing calories by the end of the day I eat a handful of macadamia nuts. I eat the nuts because at this point I am not hungry and under my calorie floor, which is 1841. I almost never hit the number and am usually under by 2-3 hundred calories, even with the nuts.

4) I do not eat grains of any kind or real sugar in any form, except for an occasional glass of wine which I'm not having right now. I intend to follow the no grain rule to infinity. I don't need it, it hates me.

5) I have cut way back on alcohol and am no longer craving my glass of wine.

5) I Log my food everyday, and try to hit my numbers as close as I can.

By following these rules I have found that I am not hungry, I'm not craving sweets or carbs at all. I have mental clarity and need less sleep. I sleep better when I do sleep. I do not feel depressed. This is a biggy. I have a long way to go but if I continue to feel like this it won't matter how long. I would eventually like to decrease my dairy consumption (cheese, sour cream) but I'm not quite ready for that.

This is my journey......:heart:

Again, I'm no expert in this WOE. Check out HFLC / NK in the forums for real good info.

Blonde with a Rose 12-11-2012 12:03 PM

I can't really stress this enough. Removing wheat completely from my diet has changed the way I feel about food. I don't understand the reasons why, I just know that it is. I don't have cravings for sweets or crackers or even alcohol. I don't "feel" the emotional tug to comfort myself with food. I have more energy, and feel more positive about most everything. This is so strange to me. I do know this. If I were to start eating wheat products again it would all come back.

This was a very difficult process to endure and I wouldn't want to have to go through it again. Now that I've made it through to the other side, I'm thrilled.

GailyGail 12-11-2012 05:03 PM

Wow, Blonde, you have made an amazing breakthrough by discovering your wheat addiction. If you don't mind, I would love to follow your journel as I can learn so much from your journey. I truly believe in low carb and believe that wheat may be a source of many of my issues as well.

I really admire the process that you went through to get to this discovery. Clearly it took a great deal of strength, patience, fortitude and a willingness to be open to all possible answers to get to this point. I think that you will make a great deal of progress on nutritional ketosis. I have read journals from other folks who followed NK with great results. Another person who stays away from wheat is LimeTwist and her journal is really terrific -- she has incredibly good recipes.

Good luck with your journey! I will be rooting for you!

Blonde with a Rose 12-11-2012 06:11 PM

Hi Gail! Absolutely, I would love it if you come along! I've made some wonderful friends here and we all learn so much from each other. Your input is welcome to me. Love your avatar. :shake:

I also think nutritional ketosis is going to make a difference in my weight loss cause it sure treats me right physically. Addiction is a funny thing, well not really, but you don't know you're in it until you get far enough away to see the big picture. I don't kid myself about having "a little wheat, once in a while". Unfortunately this is one of those all or nothing scenarios, like smoking. I can't do it just a l little bit. I do wonder how many people are affected by wheat like I am. More than we can imagine I'll bet. If you're saying to yourself I could never give up bread, cookies (even low carb ones, high gluten ones) or pizza or donuts or whatever the poison is...chances are there is addiction there. And I would bet that the more one needs to lose, weight-wise, the stronger the addiction. How many low carb diets have been derailed by wheat? For me, all of the them. I get knocked off track and can't get back on. Then I do get back on and I've gained the 5 to 10 lbs I lost. I do this over and over again. Low Carb diets work great but you have to work them. Okay, sorry...off the soap box.

This morning I had:

Scrambled eggs w/ ground beef and cream cheese

Lunch was chicken breast and artichoke and jalapeno dip.

Dinner will be breakfast leftovers and a salad.

I'm at 1200 calories so I may have a few macadamia nuts later.

Monday morning I will weigh in again. Life is good!

ladyinlove56 12-11-2012 08:08 PM

Blondie...I like your plan...I do not have any flour or sugar .....I will make flourless/sugarless pound cake for Christmas to have if needed but as for having any flour or sugar daily...no way...I know me....it makes me go crazy for more and more....I am a Southern gal that loves that fried foods and thoses starches...but not more....and I am feeling wonderful....I have my Christmas menu all planned for family and ME...lol...

I love keeping my journal for it keeps me on track and honest with myself...

Thanks for sharing your journal....

Bejewelme 12-12-2012 04:03 AM

Blonde- one of my friends pointed out that thread to me adn I have been reading those, it is so true wheat and flour and the biggest things that make me gain even more than sugar and make you crave more!!!! How did you come up with your numbers of fat, protein, calories, etc? I was reading and the math was getting very confusing!! COme the New Year I am going to change up everything, new workouts, new diet something cause I am just dragging along I lose 5 I gain 3 and not making any real progress, I gained so much weight over the summer it was scary!!! So I thought just do low carb and it will fall off, but it doesnt seem to work that way for me anymore!!! I thought this sounded really good, so I will be reading up and getting ready to shake it all up, to get this weight off by Spring time!

ChristineCQ 12-12-2012 04:16 AM

Marking my spot! :up:

Blonde with a Rose 12-12-2012 06:36 AM

Welcome Friends!

Yay! New friends!

Hi Ladyinlove56! :welcome: Thank you for reading. How long have you been flour/sugar free? I never thought I would be here. My whole family is Southern and I was raised on all the delicious foods...fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, cornbread dressing. I think the idea of abandoning all of my "family" favorites kept me eating SAD for way too long. I need to make new dishes to pass along. I'll come visit your journal!

Bejewelme: Hiya! :hiya: The math was too much for me too. On the link to HFLC/NK (above) I asked Reddarin to run my numbers. He does it for anyone who wants to know (if we ask). All he needs is your current/goal weight and wrist size (and he can do it without the wrist size). Nice group over there, I lurk frequently. "Regular low carb" wasn't working for me last time I earnestly tried to lose weight. Up down, up down. I did use it when I stopped eating wheat. Allowed myself all the low carb I wanted. My weight didn't budge until I started HFLC/NK. I added Primal to my siggy because that's where I want to end up eventually after I lose all the weight. I still have to repeat to myself "fat is my friend"....it's hard to believe. I'm so excited by this WOE. I really needed something to curtail my appetite and this did it. It takes a couple of weeks to 6 weeks or so for this to kick in. I look forward to comparing notes with you!

Hi Christine! Thanks for following!:love:

Speaking of numbers I forgot to bring mine over from the other journal. These are the numbers I target everyday. This is for a woman whose target weight goal is 135 lbs.

Protein: 92gms
Calories: 1841-2148
Carbs: Under 30gms (total not net)
Fat: 198

At this rate, protein calories equal approx 368 (minimum). It's okay to go over a little but 92 gms is considered ideal/minimum. Fat calories equal 1782. I know that sounds like a lot of fat and it's hard to hit that number (for me). The additional fat really helps satiety.

A note on supplements. I take a daily multi-vitamin along with Magnesium 500, Vitamin C 1000, and Vitamin D-3 2000. I do not take potassium because I use a potassium "sparing" BP med and it's not recommended. I don't watch my salt intake, I've read that it's needed because of the water releasing properties of the diet. I hope to eventually eliminate one of my BP meds, then the other.

I highly recommend the HFLC/NK thread above for complete info. They have books and sites you can visit.

Blonde with a Rose 12-12-2012 06:47 AM

Yesterday's numbers:

Calories: 1385
Protein: 126
Carbs: 7
Fat: 95

I was okay on protein but came in under on everything else. I still have no appetite (to speak of) so I feel okay with the fat grams. Reddarin would tell me I'm screwing up. Not enough fat. I don't want my body to think I'm starving. Apparently when one is using ketones for fuel, the brain uses 600 calories all by itself. I will make an effort to get more fat in today.

B: Eggs and cream cheese
L: Salmon and Caesar salad (no croutons, of course)
Dinner: Spaghetti Squash and meat sauce. :yummy:

One more note to self: I have noticed that when I drink diet soda on it's own, without a meal...it makes me want to eat. I'll be darn.

Adding this link for anyone interested in HFLC recipes.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/re...n-recipes.html

GailyGail 12-12-2012 07:59 AM

Blonde, your menus look fantastic. Do you have a recipe for the artichoke and jalapeno dip? That sounds incredible. I totally agree with your philosophy and thoughts on low carb -- you really have to work it to get results and maintain them over time.

Blonde with a Rose 12-12-2012 08:09 AM

Mornin' Gaily!! Alas no, I bought the dip at Costco. It's made by La Terra Fina and is "Chunky Artichoke & Jalapeno Dip". Naturally it's gluten free.The first ingredients are Cream Cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, Artichokes & mayo. It is thick and really garlicky. Yum!

Yes, I agree. One cannot maintain low carb weight loss without remaining mostly low carb. Of course I've never been in that position because I always fall off the wagon...

Not this time. My butt is glued to the wagon.:D

ChristineCQ 12-12-2012 08:47 AM

OMG that dip sounds heavenly!!! Must find Costco (there's not one near us).

I'm gonna glue my butt, too (I need a lot of glue). Let's also glue Danielle's pajama butt, just for kicks. :hyst:

GailyGail 12-12-2012 09:41 AM

Yum, I am going to either by that dip at Costco or try to make it on my own. I also want to get the new Atkins frozen entrees so that I have something at home and at work if I get hungry in a pinch. I heard that they are pretty good. I am going to glue my big butt right along with you guys -- now we all have to stick together on the low carb plan!

Blonde with a Rose 12-12-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristineCQ (Post 16132348)
OMG that dip sounds heavenly!!! Must find Costco (there's not one near us).

I'm gonna glue my butt, too (I need a lot of glue). Let's also glue Danielle's pajama butt, just for kicks. :hyst:

:hyst:Danielle may have to just come along whether she wants to or not! *snicker* pajama butt.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by GailyGail (Post 16132474)
Yum, I am going to either by that dip at Costco or try to make it on my own. I also want to get the new Atkins frozen entrees so that I have something at home and at work if I get hungry in a pinch. I heard that they are pretty good. I am going to glue my big butt right along with you guys -- now we all have to stick together on the low carb plan!

I read a good review on Atkins dinners as well. Anything to help the LC life be a little less stressful, I say.

I love it! Let's all glue our butts to the wagon and hitch our wagon to a star! Off to work. Ladies have a gorgeous day!!!

Woo Hoo!

sunday 12-12-2012 12:17 PM

Here you are Blonde! I have to tell you that I LOVE your new avi! :) :heart:

How long have you been doing HFMP? I assume you are not JUDDDing with NK? Just wondering? I am going to try and go back and read your other journal. I think my very fav meal is the taco soup. I could eat that daily. Also, I began adding a dab of avocado to everything. That and also EVOO. :)

I know that Sven & Kettleboy Juddd along with HF, but not sure how they are doing yet? Everyone amazes me that makes this plan work with their lifestyle and schedules and such. :up:

sunday 12-12-2012 12:18 PM

Also, just curious, what is OG? :)

Blonde with a Rose 12-12-2012 04:04 PM

Hi Sunday! Thanks!

No, I'm not doing JUDDD at the moment. I'm having a hard time getting all of my calories in as it is....

I started NK about two weeks ago, It only took a little less than a week to have the loss of appetite, but I've been generally low carbing for a couple of months.

OG is where I work, aka Olive Garden.:D

Had a great day at work, so much energy to burn! I had salmon and salad after my shift. I'm postponing the spaghetti squash for tomorrow, I forgot we have dinner plans with a family we've known for years. I don't know what they're making, I hope it's simple and without breading or sugar. I will make it through the evening and I will eat only what I want to eat. Period.

Still feeling fantastic. How 'about that?

GailyGail 12-12-2012 05:13 PM

So great that you feel fantastic. I just love the energy and clear head that comes with low carb! My body just works better in every way when I eat low carb. We have to keep that in mind whenever we want to cheat!

Glad you had a great day! Good luck at dinner tonight. You will make the right decisions -- you are smart, focused and determined!

JK130 12-13-2012 06:07 AM

happy day, blonde! new journal, new pic, new woe...your confidence is inspirational. i join the others in congratulating you. what fun do you have going on these days?

Blonde with a Rose 12-13-2012 08:56 AM

Thank you Gaily and Jan.

Gail It is weird about the low carb clarity. This is the first time I've ever done "no-Wheat low carb and the difference is night and day. It helps to have friends and encouragement. :heart:

Jan how are you doing? Are you ready for the holidays, you shoudl be off for a short time soon, yes? Thanks for coming with me.:love:

Yessss, dinner. Apparently I'm psychic because I pealed battered skin off chicken and scraped BBQ sauce off of ribs last night.:hyst: There was also salad and green beans so I did get to eat. I skipped the cornbread and potatoes. I took a chocolate silk pie for dessert and watched them all eat it. Next time it;s my turn to bring dinner so I'll be in charge. I think I may be becoming somewhat of a fanatic about food, but I freely admit it and it may be the only way I will ever get this weight off of me. No cheat means no guilt and no regrets.

I weighed today, as I did last Thursday because I can't wait til Monday. 214. So down 4lbs total from the start of my low carb adventure in November. 1.8lb down from last week. And 15lbs to go to reach last years low of 199. Yay! Monday is my official Weigh in day but Thursday has sort of become a "how'm I doin'" day...keeps me on track.:up:

DesertGurl 12-13-2012 09:26 AM

Don't ever apologize to anyone for how you eat. The next dinner is your turn to do it how YOU eat and everyone else can just get over themselves! Yes, I'm bitter about this, I've had way to many experiences with this and as far as I'm concerned, anyone who's so into how I eat can go pound sand.

But I digress....

You're doing fantastic, and even more exciting is that you're feeling so great. I've realized that I am just not going to lose at any record speed anymore, I lost that "golden shot" after the first 4 or 5 attempts and my body's said nope not fallin for it anymore. :laugh: So now I am content as long as I'm enjoying what I'm doing and it fits my lifestyle...

Keep on truckin mama, the lifestyle agrees with you! :up:

Blonde with a Rose 12-13-2012 09:34 AM

Oh HHIIIII! Honey!!

I have to admit that first paragraph gave my a giggle and a lop-sided grin! :D My, aren't we sparky today? (This in my best Southern drawl).

"Pound sand" is one of my very favorite expletives.:high5:

Alas my darling we are both out of the "pound-a-day" club. That's okay, I'll will keep truckin', as will you. Never give up, never surrender, right? I'm so happy that you connected with JUDDD. I know it works and It's doable.

Up day or down day for you?

GailyGail 12-13-2012 09:41 AM

Blonde, congratulations on the weight loss! Yay -- it is working! It is no one's business what you choose to eat. I LOVE Danielle's response -- LOL. Danielle has the right overall attitude too -- as long as we like the diet/plan, it fits our lifestyles and makes us feel much better, then weight will come off in no time. You just can't rush it -- the fat will leave on its own accord.

Blonde with a Rose 12-13-2012 09:48 AM

" the fat will leave on its own accord".Yes, and it won't come unless we invite it, huh?

Danielle is cranky today and that makes her even funnier than usual!

I have to tell my family I'm eating NO-Grains or starch. If I told them I was eating High Fat they would freak out. There is no way to explain this WOE to people who are still living in the low fat low calorie world. It is working and I couldn't be more thrilled. Have you ever been on a diet that was actually working, but you were miserable? I hate that. I feel good.:yummy:

Blonde with a Rose 12-13-2012 10:27 AM

Okay, got today's menu figured out.

B: Chicken burger & artichoke dip (I have no eggs, boo hoo)

Lunch: white tuna w. mayo and dill pickle relish

Din-din: Spaghetti squash w/ meat sauce.

This is cheater's meat sauce.

1lb ground beef. (all I have is 7% fat)
1 onion diced
1 jar of Rao's Homemade Marinara (4 carbs per 1/2 cup)
1 tsp red pepper flakes (spicy)
1/4 cup red wine.

Brown ground beef and sautee' onion. Put all ingredients together in a small crock-pot, turn it on and let it go. I'll let this cook all day.

Yesterday I baked my spaghetti squash whole (I poked holes in it) @350 for an hour, turned off the oven and let it cool on it's own. Last night I scraped out the seeds and shredded the squash into a container and popped it in the fridge. Lucky for me DH LOVES this, even with Alfredo sauce. All I have to do is reheat the squash tonight and dinner is served. MMmmm.

GailyGail 12-13-2012 11:11 AM

Blonde, that cheater's meat sauce sounds fantastic. My fiance Tony loves Bolognese sauce but it takes a very long time to make it -- I usually make in on a Sunday and we have it with spaghetti squash. I am definitely going to make your cheater's meat sauce above. He will love it!!! I can't believe how easy it is too!

Blonde with a Rose 12-13-2012 11:17 AM

Gaily,

I'm closely watching my carbs otherwise I would add fresh mushrooms and red bell pepper with the onions. YUM!

ChristineCQ 12-14-2012 08:17 AM

That sauce sounds great!!! I am so making it when I get my beef. :up: I also love the SS with alfredo (and mushrooms and garlic!).

I'm heading to lunch soon, which is a good thing............this conversation is making me hungry.

Blonde with a Rose 12-14-2012 08:18 AM

Morning all. I lost a dear, dear Uncle yesterday so I was sad most of the day. He was well into his 80's and lived a wonderful life, children and grand children and great great grandchildren and the best sense of humor! I could listen to him talk for hours and laugh the whole time. What a character. He and my Aunt (my mom's sister) were married 62 years. Can you imagine? He will be missed.:heart:

Happy Friday! I have lunch date today with my BFF and her daughter who is like one of my own. She lives and works in Australia now and I'm excited to see her. She and my two 28 year olds were all in diapers together and every time we went anywhere it was like having triplets! She actually got her dual citizenship this summer.

Breakfast today was a little unconventional.

B: Coffee w/HWC & a pat of butter. 3 strips microwave bacon (crisp) and a cup of leftover cheater's meat sauce.

Lunch: Protein and salad (chicken or salmon)

D: I'm not sure. My eldest DD usually comes over after work but I don't know about tonight. I'll have a good plan before dinner time.

I really need to do a little more Christmas shopping today or I will find myself scrambling next week.

BTW, DH really didn't like last night's dinner so I promised next time to make spaghetti squash with alfredo sauce.

ChristineCQ 12-14-2012 08:19 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, Blonde!! Sixty two years of marriage?!? Incredible. :hugs: Sounds like a wonderful person.

Enjoy your lunch date, my friend!