Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
What is it exactly about high fat that worries you? Would doing your own experiment with bloodwork help to ease your mind...getting some "before's" and then allow yourself a chunk of time and then redoing them to help you see how your body responds? The idea that you are not hungry is a big thing that stands out to me, I know we both despise that feeling altogether...

What if you went back to JUDDD rotations and introduced back veggies and just stayed away from all the wheat? Are there people on the NK threads that have their own proof that the lifestyle truly works?

I can understand you questioning things, especially in regards to something that goes against everything that we have ever been taught about nutrients and weight loss, etc. I would HATE for you to undo everything you have worked on the last few weeks because of how good you have been feeling lately!

Is it really a feeling of confusion or your mind playing tricks on you and trying to make you *think* you're deprived instead? KWIM?

You and I both balance on the same slippery slope so I want you to run through everything before you let go completely.

I'm listening and I will do whatever I can to help you achieve your sweet spot.

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I want to see how you are doing on NK.

I hope all is well.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #63
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Blonde- I fully understand your concerns, and I think one of the 'dangers' of these boards is that we tend to want to do things that may work well for others but don't work for us.

My experience has been that I have to focus on ME--what works and doesn't work for me and try to ignore the siren call of other plans or ideas because I often find myself wanting to 'try' what seems to work so well for others. Then I force myself to remember that I've already established a WOE that manages my weight and keeps me healthy.

For example, when I first began losing weight, problems with my gall bladder forced me to eat low fat for a long time (surgery wasn't an option because the dysfunction isn't from stones). I lost well and felt great. After a while, I could tolerate moderate fat--but never high fat. In fact, when I was stalled once, I tried Dr. A's 'fat fast,' and I not only didn't lose, I really didn't like how I felt. Later on, I read somewhere that 'older' women often do better with more moderate fat because of hormonal changes. I don't know the reason, but I know that I do best limiting fat--and when I really need to drop a few pounds, a Stillman's approach of protein/low, low fat works best for me.

That's not something I'm recommending for anyone else. My point is that I've come to all this by observing how my body responds and doing what seems to work best for me. My current WOE (very low carb, lower fat) is certainly not in vogue among low carbers these days, but I need to continue to do what works best for me.

If you find that you are missing vegetables, then create your own 'plan' that enables you to comfortably lose weight. I've been maintaining for almost 2 years, and it's only been possible because I lost weight eating in a way that I can continue for the rest of my life. The idea isn't just to 'lose,' but to manage my weight heathily for life.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Dani, Leo~ Thank you so much for your thoughtful words.

Dani, I'm not giving up per se, I do feel really good. The niggling thing in the back of my mind is the fact that I'm going to be 58 next month and I'm afraid of too much fat in my diet. My weight hasn't budged from the 2lb gain last Monday. I know it's only 2lbs but I'm sticking so closely and nothing is really happening. I know that higher carbs (over 50gms) is not the answer and I definitely don't want to have induction flu again. I don't want to eat wheat anymore and I know that is the ONE real thing I can avoid forever. I also don't want the hunger back. I think I've been reading too much into this woe and now I'm not sure of it's long term effects. Finding the sweet spot is the answer, and getting back to JUDDD. I think. Thank you, hang with me okay?

Leo bless you you're still looking after me and I appreciate it so much. You were my hero when I started JUDDD and you helped me along the way, kept me motivated and always had good answers. Well you still do. And you know I don't have a gallbladder, I ruined mine eating NO FAT MacDougall for two years and had to have it removed. You both are so right. I have to find my sweet spot. A way to make it all work together. If I can't get Jiggy with fat then I need to formulate a plan to have less fat and still have satiety. I know carbs need to stay low, say under 50gms and that will allow me to add more vegetables in. I do need to get back to JUDDD. Maybe it will be easier this time since I'm already a fat burner.

As for the boards here, that's what got me into trouble in the first place because there are so many differing opinions and so many success stories and then people who are totally against a certain woe. I spent too much time yesterday on Marks daily apple and my head was spinning.
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with Leo! I am 54 and not getting any younger. So, I have been looking at what works with my hormonal menopausal issues and my lifestyle.

I started looking at what is optimal for my health and simple. Basically something that I didn't have to cook daily or have to work at. I don't mind cooking once per week or even using a crock pot, but to have to cook more than that is very unappealing to me.

I tried NK and loved the fact that I was never hungry. I already knew that I love paleo, but I felt early on that I was having to work too much to make this plan fit. And I could see that I wasn't really losing much, but mostly maintaining. I think if I could have stayed with it, I may have started seenig good losses.

Recently I started reading about the "Perfect Health Diet" by Paul Jaminet and saw that it was mostly plant based, with good fats added and quite moderate on the protein. He also promotes IF. It doesn't require much unless you want to cook, because it basically whole foods. I love that I can have lots of greens and a small amount of protein. I truly believe that one reason I was stalling out, had much to do with me over eating protein. PHD is simply how I eat when I eat what I crave nutritionally.

Please remember that health is of the most importance. Weight loss will come with living optimal nutritionally.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 12-31-2012 at 09:02 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and after reading PHD, I totally agree on being not only "wheatfree" but also grain free. I watched Dr. Davis's videos on youtube and want to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Sunday. staying wheat free no matter what I decide to do.

Happy New Year everyone. This was a pretty good year all considered.

I'm grateful for my LC friends.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #68
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Happy New Year Blonde!!! I hear ya, it is frustrating, how does something work so well for so long and then it quits working so we start looking for other things and before we know it, we are afraid of anything we put in our mouth! It is tough to find the right balance, and being women makes it that much harder!!! I hope you find the right thing that works for you and I wanted to wish you a happy and healthy new year!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy New Year! Here is to a great 2013!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Bejewelme! I'm looking for the sweet spot, asking myself what I can live without and what is a deal breaker. I want to continue to feel good and the energy I've had eating this way is phenomenal. I really hate to admit this but I was in a much better frame of mind when I went a few weeks without having wine. I think my overindulgence last week was a bad idea. Not the fact that it may have slowed or even stopped my progress but because I started doubting myself when before I had been so sure and upbeat. I think if I stop adding CO or butter to my coffee it may help with my fear of too much fat. Dietary fat in the form of meat or cheese or nuts is easier to take than purposely adding fat to my food or drinks. It's so foreign to me.

Thank you Sunday!

Hope you're having a great day!!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wish I could take "Primal" out of the journal's title. I'm not primal, it has too many deal breakers. Like no dairy. Like no peanuts or beans. I can live without the grains but there has got to be a happy medium where I can have a 1/2 cup of refrieds once in a while...or a spoonful of chunky peanut butter. I like peanuts. Primal allows lots of fruit but that will never work for me. Fruit makes me hungry.

I'm starting to realize that I'm trying to do too many things at once and that is part of the problem. I can't spend a day reading MDA and get all spun out and doubting myself. It's counter-productive. I need to address the issue. Am I low carb? Yes. Am I high fat? Maybe. Sometimes. Am I okay eating under 30 gms of carb a day? Sure! Can I live without bread? Yes. Do I want to eat low fat mayo in my canned salmon...I don't think so. I like real mayo. I want to be able to eat cheese. I know that calories count but they are not created equal. I don't know exactly why I felt myself going off the deep end the other day but I'm better. Not fixed. But better. I'm working this out and staying on track at the same time. That's all I can do. This really is a one day at a time situation. And one pound at a time. One at a time.

I know I have to be very careful with alcohol, it does things to my resolve that I don't like. I know I'm rambling here but I'm trying to put these things together so I can understand my short comings.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Ramble away, girlfriend it's your journal!

I'm so glad that you are thinking of everything and acknowledging what you do like and what you do not. Lordy, I would die without chunky peanut butter! And cheese.. man, kill me now if you tell me I can't have it.

Sometimes we just gotta do one day at a time, hour by hour if need be. You're going to have a FANTASTIC year!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am right there with you on the wine too. I made a deal with myself that for Jan & Feb, I would refrain from any wine or drink. And see, this is where JUDDD is my downfall, because it truly is simply calories only that count, right? Doesn't matter what the calories consist of? Well, on UD, I would love to have a glass of wine when my cals aren't high enough. The problem is... this one decision seems to make the following DD just miserable. Or it has run into issues such as drinking another glass. I guess, I just want to give myself a clean two months and see how I do?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dani~ I want to have a fantastic year, I want to succeed. The last thing I want to do is give up now, because girlfriend...I would be lost. Thanks so much for hangin with me!

Sunday, wine caused me issues on my down days as well...well that's it, it's the devil...and as soon as I finish this open bottle of Pinot Noir, I'm done (for awhile).

Back to work tomorrow, have a great Wednesday my friends. BTW, my New Year's Resolution is this: Work more, fear less, be more.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #75

Blonde glad you found our challenge, I hope that helps you!!! One thing through all my experiments I found if I eat high fat and very low carb I lose, but the minute you think I will add this or that to the high fat you gain, just like if I eat more carbs for working out then I have to eat low fat, it is a crazy cycle!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Amber! (Amber, right??) I appreciate your take on HFLC. I think I will most likely need to stay VLC while I'm trying to lose weight or at least until I get under the 200 mark. I really need to get below 200 to feel like I've made up the lost time and gained poundage from this time last year. Yes, thanks for posting the challenge!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So I guess today is day one of my resolution to work more. It is a work day and I kept it. There are always "kids" at my work looking to pick up an extra shift and I oblige but I'm going to KEEP my work days and actually, you know, work. As far as picking up EXTRA shifts? IDK, we'll see how it goes.:

I still have about two glasses of Pinot left in the bottle so I think I'll finish that up with Dinner tonight and be on my way to eating "clean" for a while, no alcohol allowed.

Food plan for the day is tentatively:

B: Burger patty w/cheese
L: Salmon and salad
S: 1 svg Macadamia nuts
D: Chicken??
Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, you're a much better person than me.. I woulda come up with *any* resolution but to work more J/K! I'm just jealous because that means we get you less around here.

You had me with your menu until the salmon.. I REALLY want to like fish but maaaaann, so not a seafood lover..

Have a great day, mama!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh shoot sweetie, I'm not going anywhere, I do most of my jabbering in the morning before work...

I'll tell you a secret about fish. If you go for a year or so without any meat at all, fish (that you've never even tried before) call you to supper. Once you learn to appreciate it, you'll always like it. Grilled salmon is "steak-like" but there was time not that long ago that I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot fishing pole.

You have a fabulous day too!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #80

I love seafood, I am always looking for weird fishies to try out!!!!
Have a good day!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Thursday Morning. No work today, breakfast and lunch with the grand girls and then they're off to the Boys and Girls Club. My house is in desperate need of a vacuuming. Ugh.

Finished the open bottle of Pinot last night and I even shared it with my DD28. I made a small batch of taco soup and had that for dinner. DD34 was a grumpy pants when she came to pick up the girls. Both DD's joined WW on January 1st. DD34 said she didn't want to talk about it. We said okay...then she proceeded to talk about it and I encouraged her to do so. Apparently everything she likes to eat is high point values (naturally). So we discussed filling in the hungries with extra veg etc. No I didn't discuss low carb...she would never go for that. I sometimes wish I could go for WW. It would certainly make my life easier if I could eat anything as long as I attached a point value to it. I've tried in the past with WW but it never sticks. Of course I've never applied WW to low carb.....hmmmmm.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde with a Rose Meets JUDDD

I am abandoning ship here and returning to my old journal. Pleaase come with....

I'm not Jiggy this this WOE...

I won't be coming back to this journal.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-03-2013 at 08:14 AM..