Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Blonde, I am so sorry to hear about your uncle. Sending you hugs and condolences.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Oh Thank you Gaily~ much appreciated.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well crap. I had some blood tests done on Tuesday and they have riled up my Dr. who now wants to put me on Lipitor. I will not go peacefully on this. I don't see her until February when she comes back from a leave of Absence, so I have a couple of months to study and show up armed with new info.

Bad LDL: 191 (they want less than 100)
Good HDL: 97! (at least 60 for women)
Blood glucose: 118 (anything over 100 is "suspect".

I'm surprised at the glucose since I've barely touched a carbohydrate in any form in weeks. Certainly no grains or sugar at all. Some books have been recommended to me by fellow LC'rs. Chris Kresser, Dr. Mary Vernon and a book by Bowden and Sinatra called the Cholesterol Myth. I have a lot of reading to do.

B: scrambled eggs and cream cheese, coffee with HWC.
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Sorry about your loss....I do understand the long years of marriage ...my parents were married for 60 years and my brother and sister have both been married for over 40 now...
and to the same people...I have to say I have been married along time but my story was very different ....since I was widowed twice and divorced once and now married again....

I have been on the no flour /sugarless since I restarted this time....I have been looking thru recipes to use for Christmas for myself...Will be baking for my family coming in from Tx their favorite goodies ....for I am MOM....I know that if I have a LC dessert if needed I would rather have alittle extra slice of that than to gain on regular desserts....So with the meat, deviled eggs, LC veggie casserole,fresh veggies, and my LC dessert I will be set...My DH will be my test taster if needed but I pretty well know my food when I cook...We have plans to keep busy with our family visiting so we are not sitting around eating all the time....So we will see.....lol....

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 216 214 212 210 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...
ladyinlove56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lady! Thank you. My Auntie is a strong woman and has her family with her.

Your holiday plans for feeding your family sound really good. I too will make 'on plan' food. It's not worth it to me to go off low carb, I did that on Thanksgiving and was rewarded with bloating and joint pain.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I agree....dont want that joint pain...hurts..and the bloating is just yucky...I dont have that much for I dont ever feel over full now....I will be ready with the LC food and I will just have to be on my guard with the other foods....I will be enjoying my youngest grandson so and he is 2 so I will just be busy all the time lol...that will help....I want to start the New Year with a good beginning....My next goal will be Valentines...for that is our anniv.. then makes plans for vacation with DH...then I will really enjoy myself and feel good....
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lady, It really is all about the planning isn't it?

Had a birthday party here yesterday for GD9. Lots of fun, DD34 brought PIZZA, I didn't touch it. I ate salad and a few pepperonies. I also had 2 big glasses of red and I woke up in the night feeling absolutely horrible. Headache, nausea and my gut felt like it had stuff just sloshing around in there. I think that I'm getting the message loud and clear...Alcohol and NK do not mix. There is nothing in my system to absorb the shock of the wine and I truly do not want a repeat of last night. I'd rather do without than feel that bad, again. I suppose I will have to get my resveratol somewhere else....

Because of last night's tummy troubles I have not eaten one single thing today.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Oh no Blonde -- you should try to eat something -- even if it is just broth or a cup of tea. Can your stomach handle eggs or a piece of low carb toast? Maybe you should go over your carb limit to have something that settles your stomach (ginger ale, toast, tea, soup). You should really try to get something in your stomach if you can.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Yes ...I dont drink much anyway but I gave it up for now for sure....I just make Crystal Light and put it in a pretty wine glass....lol
It is all about planning....I am planning for sure for the holidays....I found a little strawberry clobber recipe ...so with my almond cookies and flourless/no sugar pumpkin pound cake...I will make it thur.......Going to the movies too with family during the weekend so will take peanuts instead of popcorn I usually get...This is not a fast lane I am in but it will be a good race for me when I finish a winner....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi girls!

Gaily, you are so sweet! I finally ate around 5:00 and had an inadvertent down day. I was really just so tired from the night before, I curled up with a blanket and took a nap. When DH got home we ate some supper and I was better. Lesson learned. I really don't remember the last time I felt that hung-over/wretched. I had some Carne Asada steak and a small salad with pico de gallo and some red sauce. Several glasses of water later I felt almost normal and I slept well last night.

Lady, your menu sounds yummy!! I don't know what strawberry clobber is? Is it Cobbler or something else? Sounds like you have it ALL figured out, and you have to do that to eat this way. Good job!

I have an unexpected day off today so laundry is my game. Still rainy out so maybe I can find something classic on television when I start folding the clothes...The Thin Man series is on TCM.

Coffee with butter this morning. Scrambled eggs later...
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

LOL my spelling....yes cobbler lol....
That was cute....I would love to try blackberries but I know that strawberries are one of the lowest carb fruits....
Thanks LOL.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Stats: 254.2/222.8/140
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Glad you're feeling better after that little snafu with the wine.. Yikes!!!

Hope you're enjoying your day off. We had rain for like 3 days straight, it was lovely! Of course, now the sun is out bright & shiny
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is a great short version of the Dr Oz show when he finally accepted the facts, and allowed a discussion on cholestrol myths:

MYTH #1: High cholesterol is the cause of heart disease.
FACT: Cholesterol is a fairly insignificant player in heart disease.

MYTH #2: High cholesterol is a good predictor of heart attacks.
FACT: High cholesterol is a lousy predictor of heart attacks. Half the people admitted to hospitals with heart disease have normal cholesterol, and plenty of people with elevated cholesterol have perfectly healthy hearts.

MYTH #3: Lowering cholesterol with statin drugs will prolong your life.
FACT: There is no data showing statins have any impact on longevity.

MYTH #4: Statin drugs are perfectly safe.
FACT: Statin drugs have significant side effects, including loss of memory and libido, muscle pain and fatigue, and approximately 65% of doctors don't report those side effects.1

MYTH #5: Statin drugs are appropriate for men, women, children, and the elderly.
FACT: The only group in which statins have been shown to have even a modest effect is in middle-aged men who've already had a heart attack. If you're not in that group, you've got no business on a statin drug.

MYTH #6: Saturated fat is dangerous.
FACT: Saturated fat is mostly neutral and may even have some health benefits. Recent peer-reviewed studies have shown no association of saturated fat with heart disease.3

MYTH# 7: The higher your cholesterol, the shorter your lifespan.
FACT: In the Framingham Study, the people who actually lived the longest had the highest cholesterol.

MYTH #8: A high-carbohydrate diet protects you from heart disease.
FACT: Diets that substitute carbohydrates for saturated fat actually increase the risk for heart disease.

SouthernGirl posted this on the NK site. I needed it for ammo.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 12-18-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been re-reading Wheat Belly and it is helping my resolve to have NO grains, especially wheat. I have identified wheat as the culprit that keeps me hungry all the time (in the past) and feeling achey and bloaty and yucky. It has been one month since I've had ANY grains at all and I feel good. I don't have cravings (after the first two weeks) I feel steady energy throughout the day, no naps, no sluggishness (except for hang-over day) and again NO cravings. I would recommend this NO grain experiment to anyone who is out of control with their eating. I can't stress enough how wheat led me astray and off my diet for years and years. MY wheat belly is shrinking. In fact it seems that my belly and my face are the places I notice most. I have a chin again. I don't feel the need to wear a tent over my pants. Ive only lost about 6 lbs but I think most of it was from my belly.

I can't tell you how many times I've been derailed from a good low carb plan by a "pizza cheat". One night of pizza and it's all over. for weeks sometimes. Others I think are cookie monsters, or cake heads, or bagel busters. I could eat a bag of bagels if allowed. This insidious grain is causing havoc in millions of overweight individuals. It's bad bad and worse.

I'm writing this to me as a reminder. How I felt before. How I feel now. FABULOUS. Regardless of my WOE, wheat does not have a place in it. Never ever again.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Having a day I guess. Physically I feel great, emotionally I'm a little down. I've been at home with my youngest GD who has a chest cold. She's as sweet as pie but I am stuck here and feeling antsy with no way to vacate the premises. I'm not hungry but I am feeling a little bored with my selection. I need to make something good to eat, like cauliflower mashed potatoes or pizza crust w/ cauli and mozzarella. Some kind of low low carb comfort food, so I guess I need comforting or something. Maybe some kind of squash? Butternut? I'm not in the mood for sweets. Something savory? Obviously I know I'm talking to myself so I'm not expecting a response to this....:dunno

Been over to the NK December thread, talking to Miss Buffy about adding full fat yogurt and cottage cheese to the plan. I think it would help round out my WOE by not making me so dependent upon MEAT. I like it but lately it just sounds....yuck.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 12-20-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Feeling better this morning, I guess I needed some sleep and a chance to rejuvenate. I seriously HAVE to wrap gifts today, I have a lunch date w/ my BFF, DH is home until January 2nd. Off to get some coffee and gather my wits about me.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Bless you on getting sick with the red wine. Same thing has happened to me on red. I have never had issues with pinot grigio, chardonnay or moscato. I am sorry!

On the cholesterol, I am a firm believer in the healing power of cayenne pepper. I take cool cayenne and garlic capsules every single day and I feel so much more energetic & my heart is protected. Plus it is cheap! Pennies per day.

Quote:
Capsicum (cayenne pepper) is said to be unequal for its ability to boost circulation and increase heart action. Capsicum exerts a variety of desirable actions on the entire cardiovascular system. It has the extraordinary ability to enhance cardiovascular performance while actually lowering blood pressure. Capsicum has an energizing effect on the entire system. It has traditionally been used for overcoming fatigue and restoring stamina and vigor. It is a natural stimulant without the threatening side effects (palpitations, hyper-activity or rise in blood pressure) of most other stimulating agents.

Because Capsicum boots peripheral circulation and stimulates organ secretion, it expedites the therapeutic delivery and action of nutrients in the body. It will ensure the rapid and even distribution of the active principles of available nutrients to critical function centers, including those involved in cellular respiration, metabolic data transmission and neural-hormonal action. The remarkable ability of Capsicum to stimulate organ secretion and even heart action makes it one of the strongest natural stimulants known. Clearly, Capsicum should be considered nothing less than a wonder herb that has scientifically proven its worth!

If you have time, google~
Shirley's Wellness Cafe & healing benefits of cayenne pepper.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One more thing, it will protect you from respiratory infections and colds. I haven't had a bronchitis attack or chest cold since beginning this protocol.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow thank you so much for this info Sunday! I will def check it out! I have issues with my lungs so that would be a double plus.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hope you had a great holiday!!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Bejewelme! I did, I hope you did too!

Uh, Christmas letdown? No not really. Had the whole family over yesterday, I made and they gobbled 12 quarts of chili. I had some too, along with some tortilla chips and a piece of pie and a bottle of pinot noir (spread out over 6 hours). Yes my tummy swelled up and felt not very good. Yes I was slightly sorry. Yes I slept poorly. Yes I'm back on track today, none too worse for the wear. We took some wonderful family photos that everyone was happy with. Yes, indeedy.

It is so nice in the house right now. It's raining and cold out but the house is toasty warm from the wood stove and both my grand girls are here today because lucky me, I have the day off and their poor mama and papa have to work. They're playing with their 3DS's. They're quiet and happy at the moment. I just made everyone (DH is home, too) scrambled eggs and bacon so DH is napping with the two pound chihuahua in his lap, the other hounds are spread out across the family room and I have time to write.

It really feels good to have the holidays behind and the New Year ahead. Do I have resolutions... probably but I've found that resolutions are made to be broken so instead I opt to resolve to be kinder to myself and feed myself properly. To save some money. To work more, and fret less. To keep wheat and grain in my past and learn to make grain free options that I can share with my family and friends. The hardest one, letting go of traditions that are unhealthy and steeped in emotion. Like biscuits and gravy, cornbread dressing, macaroni and cheese, homemade brownies, and pie. Man I love pie. Actually even harder still, convincing myself that FAT is my friend. I know I'll get there eventually. In the meantime I'll fake it til I make it.

I think I'm not going to weigh in until next Monday. No sense getting myself all verklempt.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm glad you had a wonderful holiday with your family.

The idea of a cozy house with a fire and rain outside... Sounds lovely!

I can certainly relate to the idea of old traditions....hard hard concept to let go of! Of course, it's been alot of change the last few years for us in that not a whole lot has been "the same" lately....kinda rough, kinda exciting and fun? Feel bad for my kids sometimes tho and that makes it hard for me..
Keep reminding myself that they are nearly to a point where they are almost gonna start making their own traditions with their own families soon, that makes me feel better.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your day.

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Danielle, tradition can be a killer. So many childhood memories are food based and that is NOT good, but I can't be the only one. I would bet that most of us have this struggle, that's why JUDDD was so great for so long. I didn't have to give up anything at all. I wish I could embrace it again, but for now I'm on a different path. I feel good so that is what keeps me motivated. The scale hasn't made much of a change but my clothes fit better.

I'm glad you had such a great time in Vegas. I hope your tummy is better soon.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Yanno, while I have altered my eating and allowed for carby stuff..and there is so much stuff that I don't even like anymore. I mean, that is cray-cray! Who'd a thought that I would walk away from chocolates, pastries, fried foods...! But, I made myself a promise that I would honor myself with only good tasting food and walk away from anything that was subpar. Even in Vegas there was stuff I have always eaten there and this time, just didn't feel it. Nutso!!

Stomach is better and I wanna go back to Vegas. Like NOW!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my goodness it's hard to get on here anymore....DH has discovered facebook and is 'enamored" and a slave to the computer. Add that to him being on vacation this week and it's a wonder I can get here at all.

I'm doing well. Mostly. I'm definitely staying on plan, it wasn't really hard at all. I felt okay after Christmas day and i still had a low appetite. I am, though, getting sick of meat meat meat. Seriously nothing sounds good and it's seems like this wouldn't be a problem but I do have to eat something so that I don't go into starvation mode....the only thing that always sounds good is grilled salmon but I can't get that everyday. I just ate a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed with peanut butter....sheesh.

Dh had a root canal yesterday poor man, and feels like hell, the grand girls are getting on each others nerves and subsequently, getting on mine. I wish for Calgon to take me away but it's too damn hard to get out of the tub with my bad knees. Hmmm.......DD28 has a jacuzzi......
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh dear, tell DH that FB is the devil. I have to bring my Kindle or laptop home sometimes because my DH hogs the home pc quite a bit.

I just wanted to drop in and see how you are doing? Hope you are enjoying some relaxation during this stressful time of year.

Also, Patty just read Wheat Belly and mentioned it over on the JUDDD forum. I pointed her to you since you have read it also. I must read this book next!!!

Anybody Juddding Wheat-free??
Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #57
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Blonde- I know it is tough when everything seems to center around food, it is what made us fat and keeps us fat, and yet we still love it! I think moderation is the key as long as the special times are not every week, there is a time and a place for special treats!!

I know I have been on a special occasion the last 3 weeks and it is showing I feel like crap all the poor eating not working out, it is catching up thank God for the flu that is helping me get some bloat off! I determined if I could not smell or taste for the next 6 months I could get really skinny, LOL!!!

Have a good weekend and Happy New Years, I am formulating my plan for the new year to get my butt in gear!!!

Amber
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bejewelme, it is so difficult sometimes! I'm sorry you have the flu! Gotta wonder if it's your body rebelling against Christmas cheer? I know I felt sick as a dog after Thanksgiving, that's when I really went off the rails with wheat and sugar and anything else...as for moderation, I guess that's always been my biggest downfall (In the past). I've always been an all or nothing girl and it has been enlightening to be moderate. The trouble with this WOE is that it's misunderstood and not easily explained to the "cut the fat out and everything will be hunky dory" set. My eldest just rolls her eyes when I try to tell her why I'm not eating grains......and she needs to lose almost as much as me but believes that sugar is relatively harmless. I suppose I will have to lead by example....

I need to get back to logging in my food, not because I've run amok but because I feel more stable and in control when I log in everything. Tell me about your plan?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hesitate to share this but it is MY journal and I'm supposed to be honest with myself...

Right now I'm in such a state of confusion regarding my diet and I don't want to put all my worries and woes and buts and what ifs down so that all can see that I'm going bonkers here. Let me spell out the problems as I see them.

I can't believe that fat is my friend. I cannot believe this and I am worrying everyday about my fat consumption.

I think that NK is depriving me of essential (and tasty) vegetables.

It offers too much fat. (Again with the fat).

These lead to other questions for me.

Can I lose weight on a lower fat LC diet?
How many carbs can I have and still lose weight?
How bad is my insulin resistance?
Am I screwing up my metabolism by eating so few carbs?
Is the rebound going to be devastating if I try to eat more carbs (in the form of veggies)?
Will I still be hunger free if I stop eating so much fat?

I'm going in circles and feeling a bit nuts right now.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Another Pizza Crust

1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup Jay Robb protein powder (unflavored)
4 TBS Psyllium husk powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS grated parmesan
1 TBS Italian spices
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup boiling water
butter or coconut oil (for brushing)
(Toppings of your choice)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all dry ingredients and mix until blended. Add eggs and mix until well combined. Add boiling water and mix until dough thickens and start to stick to beaters. Place ball on greased baking sheet. Spray a piece of parchment with oil and place on to of the dough to help spread without sticking. Use a rolling pin or your hands to spread the dough into a 16 inch round. Dough will raise 2-3 times its size so make the thickness one third of what you want the final pizza to be (I like a 1/4 inch thick crust so I start with about 1/8 inch or less thickness).

Place in oven and Bake for 25 minutes. Remove crust from oven and brush with butter of coconut oil and return to oven. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until crust is crisp. Add topping and broil for another 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and starts to brown. Makes 6 servings.

Yes, I stole this.