Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
We cook the whole chicken in our pressure cooker! You brown it on all sides first with a bit of butter or oil, leave the drippings in it and add the rack, put the chicken back in (alone or with any veggies for seasoning) and add some water or broth, a cup or so.....
Bring to pressure, cook for about 25 minutes, DONE! It just falllllllls off the bone.

Not my favorite way to cook a whole chicken, I prefer rotisserie best as I like crispy skin but this is still really good and QUICK.
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicca View Post
We cook the whole chicken in our pressure cooker! You brown it on all sides first with a bit of butter or oil, leave the drippings in it and add the rack, put the chicken back in (alone or with any veggies for seasoning) and add some water or broth, a cup or so.....
Bring to pressure, cook for about 25 minutes, DONE! It just falllllllls off the bone.

Not my favorite way to cook a whole chicken, I prefer rotisserie best as I like crispy skin but this is still really good and QUICK.
I saw a video regarding cooking a whole chicken in the pressure cooker! I, too, prefer chicken when dry-roasted as opposed to wetter methods (hello crispy skin!) but I definitely am going to give it a go the next time I get my hands on a bird. I currently have none, and the fiance and I have decided to go into 100% "eat everything we currently have stowed away in the freezer like a bunch of conspiracy theorists preparing for the apocalypse" mode. It's actually good, because hey, saves us money for the next few weeks! I'm just buying veggies once a week or so and having fun making meals of what I currently have on hand.

Still, can't beat 25 minutes, man. Definitely gonna try it.

I made chicken breast and banana peppers in the pressure cooker tonight, Filipino adobo style. It was pretty good! 4 minutes. Dang. Served over spinach. Then I had my usual post workout protein/eggs/coconut oil microwaved cookie. Sooooo yummy.

Here's my workout. Broke my bent over row personal record!

--

Hula Hooping:
- 0:08:00 || Easy
- Warming up.
Barbell Deadlift:
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 95 lb x 5 reps
- 105 lb x 5 reps
- 115 lb x 5 reps
- Feelin' alright. Just wanna make sure I take it slowly and don't hurt myself. I feel like maybe I can try upping the weight on this one next week. Will she see 120, folks?
Bent Over Barbell Row:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- Must bend. Must row. Must lift.
Standing Military Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 50 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
Dip Station Bent Leg Raise:
- 15 reps
- 15 reps
- 20 reps
- 20 reps

--

That's all I got, peeps. Peace. B)

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cindy-lou
Stats: 257/234/170
WOE: JUDDD-01/31/13
Start Date: Nov 7 2012 LC
Cristin you are the funniest person on here!!!
You so full of life!!
I love it!!

And the best part about "following" you is your amazing pictures of your meals

I mean think about it...if I was to say I was having a pork loin, salad, and broccoli. it would sound "blah" but then you post a picture and it looks amazing!!!

Thank You!!
Cindy-lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healed01
Stats: 183/142/135
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: May 23 2008
[QUOTE=limetwist;16193163]How did it go?

It was awesome, I'm curious to know what other spice "versions" you've tried and like. I have one ready to go in the oven today; rubbed with salt, pepper and a blend of "Greek" spice that I made at home (oregano, etc).
healed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Hi Cris!

Question - you are the adventurous type - have you ever tried rendering your own pure animal fat?

Someone on here mentioned it in the lobby forum, so I thought I would give it a try as it is beyond healthy on the fat spectrum of the mono/poly saturated/unsaturated hydrogenated scale. Commercial lard is hydrogenated (trans-fats) for shelf life, and rendering is a high maintenance fridge/freezer deal apparently, but what can trying hurt, right?

Even bought cheesecloth yesterday.

Wondering if you have any tricks on this, and if you have found a particular type animal fat that you are most fond of for this?

I used pork fatback from the butcher as I didn't know what to start with - but live in the northeast with a multitude of both Amish and Kosher farms, so have the luxury of choice and variety. (Although I do miss living in Tennessee )

Took pics as I was going, but will just post one for now. I have a blog link that lays out the steps/benefits and have sent to Admin for approval - I'm following her instructions. This is 3# in the crock pot for an overnight spin.

Recommendations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rendering.jpg (8.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: qwertyui
Stats: 231/212/175
WOE: Induction!
Start Date: restarting January 1, 2013
I rendered duck fat for my Christmas dinner. Sublime!

I took 2 pounds of duck uncooked skin, chopped it up, and then slow simmered it with 3/4 cup of water for about 3 -3.5 hours. Then I poured it through a fine sieve, and stored in glass jars. They say it will keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge, and 3 months in the freezer.

The duck fat was glorious, and made the best roasted potatoes I have ever made. Now - I'm not eating potatoes but I could make duck confit!!

I sauteed my green beans and mushrooms in bacon fat last night. It was so good! So much better that the olive oil I had been using in the past.

Real animal fat is really tasty!
qwertyui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Thanks qwertyui! So not only is it good for you, but it is super delicious to boot?? Wow! That makes it SO worth the effort!

I put too much water in. Been cooking on low in the crock for 20 hours and isn't getting crinkly yet. I just upped it to high - we'll see if that finishes it off before I have to go to bed. I hope I didn't mess it up, but it seems pretty foolproof?
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy-lou View Post
Cristin you are the funniest person on here!!!
You so full of life!!
I love it!!

And the best part about "following" you is your amazing pictures of your meals

I mean think about it...if I was to say I was having a pork loin, salad, and broccoli. it would sound "blah" but then you post a picture and it looks amazing!!!

Thank You!!
Thank YOU! Hehehe. I haven't taken many photos lately. Life's just been in the way. :P

There is MUCH pleasure and beauty to be found in the meals that one can cook on this "diet." That's for sure! To me, each plate is a work of art. I love seeing it through those eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healed01 View Post
It was awesome, I'm curious to know what other spice "versions" you've tried and like. I have one ready to go in the oven today; rubbed with salt, pepper and a blend of "Greek" spice that I made at home (oregano, etc).
I've done a rub with Chinese Five Spice powder, salt, and pepper with vast success. It's a very nice accompaniment to the fatty pork. UM...um........I usually just use salt and that's it, because I love the taste of the pork so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
Hi Cris!

Question - you are the adventurous type - have you ever tried rendering your own pure animal fat?

Someone on here mentioned it in the lobby forum, so I thought I would give it a try as it is beyond healthy on the fat spectrum of the mono/poly saturated/unsaturated hydrogenated scale. Commercial lard is hydrogenated (trans-fats) for shelf life, and rendering is a high maintenance fridge/freezer deal apparently, but what can trying hurt, right?

Even bought cheesecloth yesterday.

Wondering if you have any tricks on this, and if you have found a particular type animal fat that you are most fond of for this?

I used pork fatback from the butcher as I didn't know what to start with - but live in the northeast with a multitude of both Amish and Kosher farms, so have the luxury of choice and variety. (Although I do miss living in Tennessee )

Took pics as I was going, but will just post one for now. I have a blog link that lays out the steps/benefits and have sent to Admin for approval - I'm following her instructions. This is 3# in the crock pot for an overnight spin.

Recommendations?
Awesome write-up. I have tried, on a very, very small scale, to render some beef tallow before. It...turned out alright. I didn't cook it long enough, I don't think. If I ever got a hold of some good fat, I'd totally be up for it. I actually have some ribeye fat in my freezer that I might try to render. In all honesty, I just want to eat some tasty crispy fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyui View Post
I rendered duck fat for my Christmas dinner. Sublime!

I took 2 pounds of duck uncooked skin, chopped it up, and then slow simmered it with 3/4 cup of water for about 3 -3.5 hours. Then I poured it through a fine sieve, and stored in glass jars. They say it will keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge, and 3 months in the freezer.

The duck fat was glorious, and made the best roasted potatoes I have ever made. Now - I'm not eating potatoes but I could make duck confit!!

I sauteed my green beans and mushrooms in bacon fat last night. It was so good! So much better that the olive oil I had been using in the past.

Real animal fat is really tasty!
SOUNDS AWESOME! I have some duck fat that I bought from a local farm. I honestly haven't used it a whole lot. The only fat I've been eating lately has been in the form of coconut oil in my post-workout protein cookies.

--

Life has been boring, and for that I apologize! Haha! I visited my folks in Kentucky this past weekend in order to attend my little nephew's first birthday party. He's growin' up! *sniff*

I seem to have become somewhat of a legend in my family now. The secret's out: they've figured out that I know how to cook. It's a recent change, one that coincides with my learning how to take care of my body. It's been nearly three years since I moved out of their house permanently, so I guess what I've been doing (aside from the obvious weight loss efforts) has been a bit of a mystery to them.

So, I lugged home a giant ribeye roast and a skin-on pork picnic and cooked both of them up for the family this weekend. I used the slow roast Serious Eats method for the pork roast and I think it blew my parents' minds a little. They've really never seen that sort of cut (small town anyone?) and have never really delved into the "cheap" cuts of meat, anyway (they're quite wealthy, so that type of stuff just never occurs to them). I think they truly did enjoy it though. ...certainly not as much as I did. ;D MMMMMMMM! So it was a good week.

I've been perfectly on plan as of late, and it feels great. My mom made rolls, baked potatoes, and a chocolate pecan pie, and there was cake and treats galore at the party, and I didn't bat an eye at them. Candy laid freely on the kitchen table, chips and snacks as far as the eye could see...nothin'. I have utterly and completely CRUSHED the desire for any sort of sweets. It's insane. My drive to succeed has never been this strong before. My monthly cheat meals consist of going out to the Chinese buffet and engaging in a meat bonanza, but I keep 100% on plan. I'm really going to wreck it this year. I'm still lifting, and still changing the shape of my body. I weigh more than I did a few months ago, but my body has metamorphosed into something strong, healthy, and muscular.

I just can't wait to see where everything takes me.

Here's my workout for tonight.

--

Hula Hooping:
- 0:10:00 || Broke a Sweat
- Hoopin'.
Barbell Squat:
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 95 lb x 5 reps
- 105 lb x 5 reps
- 115 lb x 5 reps
- WOO!
Barbell Bench Press:
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 80 lb x 5 reps
Dumbbell Bicep Curl:
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 reps
- 15 reps
- 20 reps

--

I'm really making good progress on my lifts. 115 lbs on my squat was a new record. I'm so close to a bodyweight squat now...I must succeed!

I swear I'll be more entertaining and coherent at another time. I just wanted to "catch up" and check in and let y'all know I'm still on track.

Due to my monthly time and eating a crapton of salty pork this weekend, I still am holding on to some water weight, but I feel awesome regardless.

I've got another pork picnic thawing in the fridge, so I'll try and take pictures of it on Sunday...

Last edited by limetwist; 01-23-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Okay, I need to page back through to where the diagram was posted - but what is the pork picnic and did you make it the same way - in the roasting pan with the top scored? WE NEED RECIPES, WOMAN! Some of us (ahem) are just learning.

Please post if you try rendering. Mine ended up taking 40 hours on low in the crock, and the fat never even got crispy - just sunk to the bottom as sludge. I used WAY too much water. Live and learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rendered fat.jpg (32.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by JessieBear; 01-24-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Found it. Back in post #48. Yay! Bright-Eyed & Bushy-Tailed: A limetwist's life after losing it all

So is "pork picnic" how the store lables it, or is that a nickname?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Found it. Back in post #48. Yay! Bright-Eyed & Bushy-Tailed: A limetwist's life after losing it all

So is "pork picnic" how the store lables it, or is that a nickname?
My local grocery chain (Publix, a southeastern chain) labels it as "whole pork picnic." While technically not the pork butt, i.e. the shoulder, it can be treated very similarly.

Pork Cuts: The different cuts of ribs and pork

Helpful site complete with pig diagram!

"The picnic is the upper part of the foreleg and it runs from the shoulder socket through to the elbow. "

So I guess I lie when I say I'm pork butt obsessed, because sometimes I eat pork butts and sometimes I eat pork picnics. The butt is the upper part of the foreleg, aka, the animal's shoulder. The picnic is below the shoulder and stops before the leg.

CONFUSING!

And at least you l earned something from your fat rendering shenanigans! I've had several instances where I've made blunders here and there, but walked away a more educated and enlightened individual.

Last edited by limetwist; 01-24-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

That is the diagram I was looking for!!

I could have sworn it was posted to you here by a guy chatting to you about your weightlifting - but couldn't find it. Must have gotten the wrong thread. Thank you for reposting. Ditsy McNewby-Cook over here will just print that sucker and take it into the store and then follow the instructions in #48.

I am itching to try out this new roasting pan - and the kosher farm isn't selling turkeys until March.

Oh, and an FYI as you are out shopping around - kosher turkeys are pre-brined turkeys by default. Know that you may or may not get liver and giblets, but it depends on the bird - it is a separate approval/review than the bird, so hit or miss on each bird. Kosher turkeys do have the wings removed by default as part of the process - no idea why, but it is what it is. You may have to pluck a few feathers on a kosher turkey, but is really quick with a needle-nose plyers. They are killed humanely under kashrut law and are the tenderest birds EVER. Even I can't screw up cooking a kosher turkey!

Removing wings and a salt soak are both part of the kosher/kashrut process - so if you see kosher turkeys in your local store (like Empire brand) - DO NOT SALT THEM. Just cook them off as they are.

On that, kosher beef is salt soaked as well. The process is for removing all traces of blood, not for tenderization like brining birds. Kosher fowl is tender and awesome. Kosher beef is a freaking salt lick - beyond belief for a non-kosher palate.

My 01-24-13 hint of the day.

Have a great Friday!!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is the diagram I was looking for!!

I could have sworn it was posted to you here by a guy chatting to you about your weightlifting - but couldn't find it. Must have gotten the wrong thread. Thank you for reposting. Ditsy McNewby-Cook over here will just print that sucker and take it into the store and then follow the instructions in #48.

I am itching to try out this new roasting pan - and the kosher farm isn't selling turkeys until March.

Oh, and an FYI as you are out shopping around - kosher turkeys are pre-brined turkeys by default. Know that you may or may not get liver and giblets, but it depends on the bird - it is a separate approval/review than the bird, so hit or miss on each bird. Kosher turkeys do have the wings removed by default as part of the process - no idea why, but it is what it is. You may have to pluck a few feathers on a kosher turkey, but is really quick with a needle-nose plyers. They are killed humanely under kashrut law and are the tenderest birds EVER. Even I can't screw up cooking a kosher turkey!

Removing wings and a salt soak are both part of the kosher/kashrut process - so if you see kosher turkeys in your local store (like Empire brand) - DO NOT SALT THEM. Just cook them off as they are.

On that, kosher beef is salt soaked as well. The process is for removing all traces of blood, not for tenderization like brining birds. Kosher fowl is tender and awesome. Kosher beef is a freaking salt lick - beyond belief for a non-kosher palate.

My 01-24-13 hint of the day.

Have a great Friday!!

I feel like I need to print out that diagram and stick it on the fridge just to remind me to eat as much pork as possible.

I've actually only heard of Kosher birds recently, thanks to my eager consumption of America's Test Kitchen. I tend to go as cheap as possible, but recently have been branching out and paying higher prices here and there for quality items. If I ever bump into a kosher chicken or turkey, I'd like to give it a try at least once. Thanks for sharing the knowledge with me! I always appreciate reading others' experiences in the culinary universe; it's still so unexplored and new to me that everything is just so...EXCITING!

I can't imagine Kosher beef would benefit from the heavy salting...yikes! The more you know!

And I had a great Friday, thank you.

--

I made chicken gizzards and hearts for dinner tonight. The package said "mostly gizzards" (eliciting a laugh from me) and they didn't lie on that front. I found a measly three hearts in the package! One of them still had...valves attached to it or something; it was awesome. And tasty.

Cooked them with about a cup of water in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes. They turned out pretty tender, but still retained their gizzardy chew. Coated them in spices, and then I broiled them for maybe 5 minutes until crispy. Threw some cabbage in with the gizzard water and pressure cooked the dickens out of it and it turned out delicious, as always. Also joining the party is delicious delicious spinach.

Then I lifted a weight.

--

Hula Hooping:
- 0:14:00 || Broke a Sweat
Barbell Deadlift:
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 100 lb x 5 reps
- 115 lb x 5 reps
- 120 lb x 5 reps
- Workin' on form before I move up on the weights.
Bent Over Barbell Row:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 70 lb x 5 reps
- Last set was still shaky. Gotta focus and perfect my form!
Standing Military Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 50 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 15 reps
- 20 reps
- 20 reps

--

I'm getting closer to my personal goal of deadlifting my bodyweight. 15 more pounds! I want to achieve this by Valentine's Day; here's hoping I can do it.

Post work-out meal was protein powder, coconut oil, LARD, and 2 eggs, mixed into a batter and nuked into a "cookie." The lard imparted no piggy taste whatsoever, and gave it a nice mouthfeel. Mmmm.

I got my skin-on pork picnic ready for the oven tonight. I'm gonna cook it low and slow allll Saturday night for lunch on Sunday. 8) Mmm! Excited. Slashed up the skin nice and deep and rubbed it with salt so the skin will be nice and salted and tasty and YUM.

Was gonna go hiking tomorrow but it rained today so the trails will be muddy. Sunday will be the hiking day instead. Rest day tomorrow! I plan on playing video games and browsing the internet until I pass out tonight. A good start to the weekend in anyone's eyes.

Have a great one!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

"Valves"? Is there a word for the stage beyond adventurous? Because wow - you are there! Hahaha!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
"Valves"? Is there a word for the stage beyond adventurous? Because wow - you are there! Hahaha!

Eat the heart to gain the chicken's courage! Wahahahaha! 8)

--

Good lazy weekend. Well, not entirely lazy. I went jogging on Saturday (15 minutes, with a little ~1 minute walking break in the middle!) and did a 3.5 mile hike today. My fiance managed to strong-arm me into going to one of our favorite Chinese buffet joints and I ate a ridiculous amount of amazing fried chicken wings, chicken-on-a-stick, baked chicken, and enough green beans to bury a small city. It was yuuuuummmmyyyyyyyy. And I only woke up 3 lbs heavier at 138! 8) (not updating my weight since it's just salt-bloat and will fall off very soon...hahaha.) Since I sincerely think I ate way m ore than 3 lbs of food, I'll take it.

Today I made a pork shoulder, as I said.

BEHOLD.

IMAGE DUMP.

LOOK AT THE STEAM.

This is what dreams are made of.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

O. M. G. Would you look at that tender, juicy meat and crispity fat!

How long and at what temp?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
O. M. G. Would you look at that tender, juicy meat and crispity fat!

How long and at what temp?
YESSSS. Generally, at least one portion of the roast doesn't "pull" (which just means I didn't cook it long enough). Still edible, but more reminiscent of a roast rather than pulled pork. This time, however, it was tender and falling apart all the way to the bone.

It was a little over 7 lbs, cooked uncovered in the oven (225 F) for 12 hours, then I raised the temperature to 250 and cooked it for 3 more.

Home run!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassySauce
Stats: 205/192/135
WOE: General LC
Start Date: Restart 10/13
Long time lurker here! Love your blog and attitude! You inspired me to slow roast, what for it, a roast today. It turned out great! Like you I love the fat. My DH was skeptical because it was uncovered for so long but I said, 'I've seen pictures!'. lol. I will go to my local farmer/butcher this next week to get one with the skin on. They look so delicious!!

Keep up the good work!
SassySauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sicca
Stats: 170/135/135
WOE: Atkins with a bit of Paleo
Start Date: March 2012
YUMMY!! What a sight.....I'm certainly drooling! I could eat those chunks of fat as is for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner. Thanks for sharing.
Sicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #170
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chickchick
WOE: general lc/atkins/paleo, under 20-30 net carbs/day
Start Date: Jan 2013
You are so inspiring to me. And I want to try pork shoulder now! Looks so good!
chickchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #171
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SFGirl99
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
THANK you! Congratulations on your new magical wizard pot. I'm kind of obsessed too. I'm trying to use it as often as possible.

I haven't tried searing them first, no. I just wanted to give it a "no frills" first go and see how they cooked, simply raw. I actually like it a lot. The texture, as my fiancé compared them, is tender and fall apart-y like a Chick-fil-A chicken nugget!

The first time I put cabbage/water on the bottom of the pan, then the trivet/cooking rack on top of the cabbage, and the chicken on top of the rack. The cabbage got brown but didn't BURN per se.

The next time, I put the rack on the bottom of the pot and threw everything else on top. I think I liked that outcome better. I don't use oil, but I have been throwing in a tablespoon of garlic butter that I made for flavor. I'm not sure if it makes a world of difference, but I do think it tastes pretty good, and I needed to add some fat to my menu for the day. I've been using at least 1/2 cup of water, a little more. I've experimented with other liquids too, like liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, fish sauce, and frozen stock cubes.

I've only used it ~5 times, so I'm learning as I go. =)

Good luck to you!
I finally got around to cooking skinless chicken breast in the pressure cooker. It was so easy and so good! I used a dry rub, then seared the breasts in olive oil, threw in some chicken stock and cooked at high pressure for 4 minutes. After I took the chicken out, I reduced the sauce and poured over the chicken. It was so moist and flavorful! Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm going to tackle the slow roasted pork and the prime rib next! I've always made prime rib by cooking at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, then reducing to 350 and cooking until done (around 2 hours). I can't wait to see how it turns out when cooking at a really low temperature for a much longer time.
SFGirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I like the pictures of you making funny faces. They make me laugh.
The food only pics make me hungry.
just sayin'...
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I just have a question about 5x5... how did you know what weights to start with?

I just did workout A for the first time, but I'm not exactly a beginner weight lifter (kind of approaching intermediate except I slack a lot) so I was surprised it wasn't harder and I didn't feel sore the next day. For example, I know I can deadlift 50 lbs so I did 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 on my reps... but barely felt it. I'm going to try and go up by 10# next day.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/166/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Hi Cristin - I just read through your blog! Wow - the food looks amazing! You sound like you're having a lot of fun! Way to go! Love the kitties too!
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goldgirl24
WOE: LC, kinda induction
Start Date: August 2012
Hi -- how do you make those cookies??
goldgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
NO WAY!! Your pork butt has...pork cracklin' on top, oh my goodness.

Thanks for this blog...its uplifting, its fun, the photos are beautiful and you are so positive you make low-carbin' look fun.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #177
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbine
Stats: 6'7, 360 down to 280 so far.
WOE: Count Nothing | Low Carb | Cheat Often
Do you have a Valentine?
LowCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #178
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mirtilla
Hi Cristin, I used to enjoyreading your menus....is it all ok?
Hi from Italy
mirtilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/8/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Hi there. Love your journal but haven't seen you post in a while. Everything ok with you??
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #180
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mirtilla
Ok,now I'm a little bit worried....
mirtilla is offline   Reply With Quote