Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!
 
marieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Posts: 2,023
Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
So just to be sure......when I go next weekend to buy my first pork roast (which by the way is a huge deal for this Jewish chick) do I ask for a "pork shoulder roast with the fat cap on it" or picnic roast or what? Please tell me, yes I'm a dork, EXACTLY what to ask for....please

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #122
Major LCF Poster!
 
marieze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Posts: 2,023
Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Adding.....or pork butt......?
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 494
Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
If I remember my Good Eats, a hunk of leg has 2 parts, the bottom is called the shank and the top is called the "butt." This is the top cut we're talking about, so it's a "butt" even though it comes from the shoulder. It's also known as a Boston Butt. If you see boneless "country style ribs" there is a good chance it's just pork butt sliced into strips/chunks. It's not even ribs at all. Butchery can be pretty confusing, but a good pulled pork meal is worth the trouble. I like a moist cooking environment in a Dutch oven with some Diet Dr. Pepper poured over the top and some onions. It's a Ree Drummond recipe (Pioneer woman, Food Network). Hope that helps.

Sorry, limetwist, don't mean to threadjack you.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 913
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Glad you used your pressure cooker Limetwist ! We put frozen meat with veggies in ours when we forget to thaw something out and in 90 minutes it's done !
Good for a pot of beans too ....... DH loves that

Enjoying your blog here ...... you definitely make your food sound yummy
I looked up some recipes at work today! I totally can't wait to try it out some more! I found a great chicken stew that I'm going to try next, I think. The bone broth that I made yesterday was COMPLETELY gelatinous after tossing it in the fridge overnight. I've had it get slightly jiggly before, but this stuff was total meat Jell-o. It was insane! Thank you, thank you! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
So just to be sure......when I go next weekend to buy my first pork roast (which by the way is a huge deal for this Jewish chick) do I ask for a "pork shoulder roast with the fat cap on it" or picnic roast or what? Please tell me, yes I'm a dork, EXACTLY what to ask for....please

Marieze
Let's see what JMC has to say first before I respond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
If I remember my Good Eats, a hunk of leg has 2 parts, the bottom is called the shank and the top is called the "butt." This is the top cut we're talking about, so it's a "butt" even though it comes from the shoulder. It's also known as a Boston Butt. If you see boneless "country style ribs" there is a good chance it's just pork butt sliced into strips/chunks. It's not even ribs at all. Butchery can be pretty confusing, but a good pulled pork meal is worth the trouble. I like a moist cooking environment in a Dutch oven with some Diet Dr. Pepper poured over the top and some onions. It's a Ree Drummond recipe (Pioneer woman, Food Network). Hope that helps.

Sorry, limetwist, don't mean to threadjack you.
Yup. He's right. Pork shoulder goes by many names. So you either ask for a pork shoulder with a fat cap, or there's the "pork picnic," which is the lower portion of the leg with the skin attached. That's at least the only cut of pork that I see regularly with the skin attached, if you're wanting to attempt that Serious Eats recipe.

I think this page will help you.

Pork Cuts: The different cuts of ribs and pork

So yes, you want either the pork shoulder/pork butt or pork picnic. Either will work beautifully. I eat both with excellent results.

I personally prefer mine cooked dry on a rack, suspended above the pan so the fat drips down. To each his own, of course. I would destroy a well-cooked pork shoulder, no matter the method, though. :P BEST OF LUCK!

Today was a nice slow day at work. There's a big trade show going on right now, so most people at work are gone. Quiet day! But I still did some nice work. Had leftover pork shoulder and collards for lunch, and pre-workout dinner was chicken breast, green beans (fish sauce, butter, salt, pepper, Herbes de Provence), and spinach.



The green beans were VERY, VERY good. I prefer the French style haricots verts vastly to the big woody American green beans. :P Granted, I still love green beans, but the French ones are so awesome. More tender, delicate, and overall less...squeaky.

I also had 2 scoops of protein mixed with 2 tbsp coconut oil and 2 eggs for a post workout meal.

Here's my workout for tonight.


Hula Hooping:
- 0:10:00 || Broke a Sweat
- Warmin' up.
Barbell Deadlift:
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 100 lb x 5 reps
- 115 lb x 5 reps
- 115 came to me surprisingly easily! I'll take it.
Bent Over Barbell Row:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
Standing Military Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 50 lb x 5 reps
- 50 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- Ohhhh these kick my butt! In a good way. I will conquer you.
Dip Station Bent Leg Raise:
- 15 reps
- 15 reps
- 15 reps
- 15 reps
- 15 reps

--

Good workout. The 115 lb deadlift was a personal record! So close to a bodyweight deadlift...20 more pounds to go. I can really see some leg muscle definition in the mirror when I lift now. Feels great.
__________________
Cristin, otherwise known as the Mistress of the Pork Butt.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 494
Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Squeaky green beans I know exactly what you mean! I hate them when they're like that. Great job on those deadlifts. You're gonna run out of weights before long.

Can I ask you about your recovery drink? What is the coconut oil supposed to do? I'm just wondering. Is it to make you feel fuller, or does it help with weight loss? Also, do you use pasteurized eggs or the regular kind? I like raw eggnogg, but the only place I can find pasteurized eggs is Publix. None at Wal-Mart or Kroger in my locale.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 913
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Squeaky green beans I know exactly what you mean! I hate them when they're like that. Great job on those deadlifts. You're gonna run out of weights before long.

Can I ask you about your recovery drink? What is the coconut oil supposed to do? I'm just wondering. Is it to make you feel fuller, or does it help with weight loss? Also, do you use pasteurized eggs or the regular kind? I like raw eggnogg, but the only place I can find pasteurized eggs is Publix. None at Wal-Mart or Kroger in my locale.
Ahh, so many memories of eating mass quantities of squeaky green beans at Chinese buffets. I still love them, squeaky or no. I definitely prefer the quieter variety.

HAH! After helping my fiancé switch out one of the 45 lb plates, I don't know how soon I will run out of weight. I am hoping to deadlift my bodyweight (or more!) by Valentine's Day. I have no idea how much longer it will take me to get there, but I think that surely I can do it by then. Squats, too. They're roughly on par with one another, with my deadlift being slightly stronger right now.

In regards to the protein shake, I just added coconut oil for the first time last night because I had already consumed like, 140 g of protein by then. I try to get at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight on my lifting days, and eat higher fat on the off days. I had already surpassed that protein goal by the time I had my chicken for dinner, so I decided that I would fill in the rest of my caloric intake for the day with fats. It's just a satiety precaution at this point. I also wanted to see how it tasted! It was quite delicious. The protein slop tasted alarmingly like cake batter. IT SOUNDS SO GROSS, BUT IT'S SO GOOD. I should take a picture on Wednesday and horrify everyone with my cookie abomination. I will if I remember.

I just use regular eggs from Kroger/Costco/Harris Teeter etc. Yeah, I'm one of those people. So far, I have had no hint of gastrointestinal distress from consuming them raw. I've read that the risk of illness from consuming raw eggs, even your average supermarket fare, is relatively low in comparison to the past. I'm taking a risk. My superpowered low-carb immune system has yet to fail me. I also figured that, hey, I ate cookie dough (with raw egg) as a weak, potentially immune system-compromised fat kid and never got sick, so why not. *shrug*
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #127
Atkineer For Life
 
godsbeloved79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pompano Bch, FL
Posts: 19,131
Gallery: godsbeloved79
Stats: 235.4/223.8/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/9/2014
Hi limetwist,

I'm marking my spot as I need as much inspiration and motivation a girl can get. Your transformation is awesome as well as your attitude and outlook about this WOL (way of life).
godsbeloved79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 494
Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
Ahh, so many memories of eating mass quantities of squeaky green beans at Chinese buffets. I still love them, squeaky or no. I definitely prefer the quieter variety.

HAH! After helping my fiancé switch out one of the 45 lb plates, I don't know how soon I will run out of weight. I am hoping to deadlift my bodyweight (or more!) by Valentine's Day. I have no idea how much longer it will take me to get there, but I think that surely I can do it by then. Squats, too. They're roughly on par with one another, with my deadlift being slightly stronger right now.

In regards to the protein shake, I just added coconut oil for the first time last night because I had already consumed like, 140 g of protein by then. I try to get at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight on my lifting days, and eat higher fat on the off days. I had already surpassed that protein goal by the time I had my chicken for dinner, so I decided that I would fill in the rest of my caloric intake for the day with fats. It's just a satiety precaution at this point. I also wanted to see how it tasted! It was quite delicious. The protein slop tasted alarmingly like cake batter. IT SOUNDS SO GROSS, BUT IT'S SO GOOD. I should take a picture on Wednesday and horrify everyone with my cookie abomination. I will if I remember.

I just use regular eggs from Kroger/Costco/Harris Teeter etc. Yeah, I'm one of those people. So far, I have had no hint of gastrointestinal distress from consuming them raw. I've read that the risk of illness from consuming raw eggs, even your average supermarket fare, is relatively low in comparison to the past. I'm taking a risk. My superpowered low-carb immune system has yet to fail me. I also figured that, hey, I ate cookie dough (with raw egg) as a weak, potentially immune system-compromised fat kid and never got sick, so why not. *shrug*
LOL I ate (and continue to eat) raw brownie batter, cookie dough, whatever but it just feels different when it's raw eggs, cream, and nothing else. It's easy to forget about the eggs in something like cookie dough. Everybody thinks I'm asking for it, but we don't go to Publix that often and when we do, then I've got a dozen special eggs to do something with before they spoil. I've never gotten sick from an egg, that I know of. But there's a first time for everything.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member
 
healed01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 415
Gallery: healed01
Stats: 183/142/135
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: May 23 2008
In honor of the Pork Butt lady (you), I have a Jamaican Jerk rubbed pork shoulder in a roasting pan ready to be thrown in the oven sometime tonight when I run to the washroom...maybe 3am. Can't wait for dinner tomorrow.
healed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!
 
Seabreezes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 1,865
Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Have loved your blog and pictures and....... Love the enthusiasm!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rockville, VA
Posts: 3,061
Gallery: Tilly
Stats: 158/136/130
WOE: started with Atkins, now just low carbs
Start Date: January 30,2011
Where are the directions for the pork roast? That looks amazing, nothing I could achieve, so avoid buying them.
Tilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!
 
GailyGail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,792
Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Lovely Limetwist, I just want to say THANK YOU for posting fabulous photos of your incredible meals. It always gives me inspiration to make sure our dinner plates look like yours -- filled with juicy protein, fresh vegetables and leafy greens.

Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a wonderful weekend!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 913
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by healed01 View Post
In honor of the Pork Butt lady (you), I have a Jamaican Jerk rubbed pork shoulder in a roasting pan ready to be thrown in the oven sometime tonight when I run to the washroom...maybe 3am. Can't wait for dinner tomorrow.
How did it go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Have loved your blog and pictures and....... Love the enthusiasm!
Thank you! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
Where are the directions for the pork roast? That looks amazing, nothing I could achieve, so avoid buying them.
Ultra-Crispy Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder | Serious Eats : Recipes

This is an excellent guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Lovely Limetwist, I just want to say THANK YOU for posting fabulous photos of your incredible meals. It always gives me inspiration to make sure our dinner plates look like yours -- filled with juicy protein, fresh vegetables and leafy greens.

Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a wonderful weekend!
You are SO, SO welcome! I do love my leafy greens. I'm especially in love with spinach as of late. I had a great lazy weekend, so I appreciate the well wishes.

--

I wanted to go on a hike this weekend, but it rained the entiiiire time. We're having a crazy heat wave where temperatures neared 70 degrees. It sure felt nice, despite the rain. I also was feelin' a bit sore from lifting previously this week, so I decided to take it easy.

Went to Chinese this weekend for our monthly "cheat" meal and loaded up on low carb goodies. Roast chicken thighs, legs, and wings, steamed broccoli and zucchini with butter, Chinese green beans, pork ribs, chicken-on-a-stick, creamed spinach, and roasted pork loin...nom nom nom. I was only up about 2 lbs the day after, so that's awesome. I'm 138ish today. That water weight will be gonzo in a few days', so I feel awesome about my "cheat." I basically just eat until I wanna pop. LOL. I ate at Saturday on noon and didn't eat again until noon today. So, all in all, it's not really all that "naughty."

Played games, cleaned house, pet my cats...all-in-all, a good weekend.

Haven't felt horribly inspired to post lately. Sometimes I'm just not in a writey mood.

I did use my pressure cooker to make hard boiled eggs today. 14 of them in 5 minutes. AWESOME! They each peeled PERFECTLY. I have never, EVER, EVER!! made eggs where all of them peeled perfectly.

I made them a tad bit overdone, just because it's a little trial-and-error when cooking with a pressure cooker. But it was so easy.

SERIOUSLY. LOOK AT THIS. The peel was coming off in, like ... HUNKS.





Also my kitty, Rosco.



Me-yow.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member
 
JessieBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast
Posts: 315
Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Wow! Subscribing. Loving these pics!

Question for you on the butterflied turkey - is that in an open pan? The link you provided seemed to indicate that. Never cooked a turkey without covering it before - I thought that made the meat dry. I also have a convection oven now, that I have no idea how to use, other than turning the temp down 25* from a regular recipe so probably looking at a lot of trial and error. Heh.

Another question from the cooking noob - where did you get this GORGEOUS pan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roasting pan.jpg (54.5 KB, 11 views)
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 913
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
Wow! Subscribing. Loving these pics!

Question for you on the butterflied turkey - is that in an open pan? The link you provided seemed to indicate that. Never cooked a turkey without covering it before - I thought that made the meat dry. I also have a convection oven now, that I have no idea how to use, other than turning the temp down 25* from a regular recipe so probably looking at a lot of trial and error. Heh.

Another question from the cooking noob - where did you get this GORGEOUS pan?

That is indeed an uncovered pan. The key to a moist turkey isn't necessarily in covering it—it all boils down to the internal temperature of the breast and thigh meat. What you need to worry about is making sure the temperature in the breast doesn't exceed 160-165. Once it gets past that, that's when you start to get dry, tough, tasteless turkey. I'd wager that most people cook their Thanksgiving turkeys an hour or two longer than necessary, probably getting the breast as high as 190 or more.

I use an instant-read probe thermometer (Thermapen) and have never had a dry piece of meat since. Never cook by time listed on the manufacturer's label. Never trust those pop-up thermometer things. THEY ALL LIE! Sad, but true. Putting something in the oven for X minutes per pound is a good start, but it all boils down to the temperature of your bird or beast.

I unfortunately can't offer any advice on how to use a convection oven, considering I don't own one! Maybe poke around Google and see if there's anything else you need to consider when cooking with one.

The pan in question is actually the same pan in both photos.

It's Cuisinart's "MCP117-16BR MultiClad Pro Stainless 16-Inch Rectangular Roaster with Rack." Stainless steel roasting pan with a stainless steel rack.

I got mine online for about 74 dollars. Looks like the price has gone up since a few months ago. I'd keep an eye out on it. It seems steep, I know, but this pan is indestructible. I bought it because stainless steel is easily cleaned, holds heat well, and can be used both in the oven (under high temperatures) and on the stovetop too, with no risk of leaching any nasty chemicals or flaking off nonstick coating into your food. I've had it since my birthday in November, and I've used it at least a dozen times, if not more. Roasting turkeys, prime rib, pork shoulders, vegetables...heck, I bet you could even bake a cake in there if you wanted to. :P It's beautiful, heavy, and versatile. I couldn't be happier!

Last edited by limetwist; 01-13-2013 at 05:46 PM..
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member
 
JessieBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast
Posts: 315
Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
I bought a book on how to adjust to a convection oven, but being the queen of all-that-is-microwaveable, never read it. *facepalm* I'll have to dig it up as I do remember the appliance people telling me that you do have to make adjustments.

Did not know about the temperature thing and tender meat. I get slow cooking and crock pots, but am not experienced enough to know how to make adjustments to recommended temps/times for the oven. Crocks rule, but don't crust up pork like those mouthwatering pics!!

I agree with the post earlier that suggested you blog about your methods along with the fabulous pictures. Maybe even think about writing a technique book. I already have a full page of notes on things to do/not do from reading through your journal tonight!!

__________________
I buy ingredients, not meals.
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member
 
PassionateFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 520
Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
I bought a book on how to adjust to a convection oven, but being the queen of all-that-is-microwaveable, never read it. *facepalm* I'll have to dig it up as I do remember the appliance people telling me that you do have to make adjustments.

Did not know about the temperature thing and tender meat. I get slow cooking and crock pots, but am not experienced enough to know how to make adjustments to recommended temps/times for the oven. Crocks rule, but don't crust up pork like those mouthwatering pics!!

I agree with the post earlier that suggested you blog about your methods along with the fabulous pictures. Maybe even think about writing a technique book. I already have a full page of notes on things to do/not do from reading through your journal tonight!!

My convection oven automatically reduces the temperature by 25 degrees when using the convection option, if yours does not do this just set it 25 degrees lower than the recommended temp.
PassionateFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #138
Major LCF Poster!
 
GailyGail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,792
Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Roscoe is a beautiful cat! I love handsome charcoal gray kitties!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #139
Major LCF Poster!
 
Izzysdream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,259
Gallery: Izzysdream
Stats: 219/142/145 (5'7") age 56
WOE: HCG vlcd 1 April 2, 2014
Start Date: April 1, 2006
Marking my spot to come back and read you!
Izzysdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member
 
JessieBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast
Posts: 315
Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
My convection oven automatically reduces the temperature by 25 degrees when using the convection option, if yours does not do this just set it 25 degrees lower than the recommended temp.
Thanks! I really need to get that book out...
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 913
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Hello to my new faces. *wave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsbeloved79 View Post
Hi limetwist,

I'm marking my spot as I need as much inspiration and motivation a girl can get. Your transformation is awesome as well as your attitude and outlook about this WOL (way of life).
godsbeloved79, I forgot to quote your post! Thank you so, so, much for the wonderful warm comments. It means the world to me. I'm so happy to serve as a motivation. You keep me goin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
I bought a book on how to adjust to a convection oven, but being the queen of all-that-is-microwaveable, never read it. *facepalm* I'll have to dig it up as I do remember the appliance people telling me that you do have to make adjustments.

Did not know about the temperature thing and tender meat. I get slow cooking and crock pots, but am not experienced enough to know how to make adjustments to recommended temps/times for the oven. Crocks rule, but don't crust up pork like those mouthwatering pics!!

I agree with the post earlier that suggested you blog about your methods along with the fabulous pictures. Maybe even think about writing a technique book. I already have a full page of notes on things to do/not do from reading through your journal tonight!!

I try to include my "knowledge" in a lot of my posts, so I'll definitely be sure to focus on that. I'm glad it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBear View Post
And into the cart they go...

HAH! I'm a salesperson and I didn't even know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Roscoe is a beautiful cat! I love handsome charcoal gray kitties!
Thank you. He's quite the gentleman, isn't he?


--

Hmm, another boring day. We had nasty horrible weather and it took me 45+ minutes to get home after work. BLUH! But it was still a good day. High spirits. I made dinner in the pressure cooker again; this time it was chicken breasts seasoned with five spice powder, garlic butter, salt, and pepper, as well as some green beans. Cooked them under high pressure for 4 minutes, and they were done. PERFECT chicken breast. Moist, tender, fall apart. Not dry in the slightest. It was great! I'm loving the pressure cooker so far.


Lifted a weight.


Hula Hooping:
- 0:10:00 || Easy
Barbell Squat:
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 95 lb x 5 reps
- 105 lb x 5 reps
- 105 lb x 5 reps
- HRRRRRNNNNNGH!!!
Barbell Bench Press:
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
Dumbbell Bicep Curl:
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
Dip Station Bent Leg Raise:
- 15 reps
- 15 reps
- 15 reps
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #142
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: SFGirl99
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post

I made dinner in the pressure cooker again; this time it was chicken breasts seasoned with five spice powder, garlic butter, salt, and pepper, as well as some green beans. Cooked them under high pressure for 4 minutes, and they were done. PERFECT chicken breast. Moist, tender, fall apart. Not dry in the slightest. It was great! I'm loving the pressure cooker so far.
Hi Limetwist,

Love your posts! I also recently purchased a pressure cooker and am obsessed with learning new recipes and techniques. Like you, I made pressure cooker boiled eggs that peeled like a dream! I'm curious about how you made the chicken breasts in the pressure cooker. Did you sear them in the pan first? Did you cook them directly on the pan or on a trivet? Also, did you use oil or some other liquid? Sorry for the rapid fire questions, but I'm dying to try this out in the pressure cooker. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more about your culinary adventures and delicious recipes!! Thanks for the pictures too - they are great!
SFGirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 913
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGirl99 View Post
Hi Limetwist,

Love your posts! I also recently purchased a pressure cooker and am obsessed with learning new recipes and techniques. Like you, I made pressure cooker boiled eggs that peeled like a dream! I'm curious about how you made the chicken breasts in the pressure cooker. Did you sear them in the pan first? Did you cook them directly on the pan or on a trivet? Also, did you use oil or some other liquid? Sorry for the rapid fire questions, but I'm dying to try this out in the pressure cooker. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more about your culinary adventures and delicious recipes!! Thanks for the pictures too - they are great!
THANK you! Congratulations on your new magical wizard pot. I'm kind of obsessed too. I'm trying to use it as often as possible.

I haven't tried searing them first, no. I just wanted to give it a "no frills" first go and see how they cooked, simply raw. I actually like it a lot. The texture, as my fiancé compared them, is tender and fall apart-y like a Chick-fil-A chicken nugget!

The first time I put cabbage/water on the bottom of the pan, then the trivet/cooking rack on top of the cabbage, and the chicken on top of the rack. The cabbage got brown but didn't BURN per se.

The next time, I put the rack on the bottom of the pot and threw everything else on top. I think I liked that outcome better. I don't use oil, but I have been throwing in a tablespoon of garlic butter that I made for flavor. I'm not sure if it makes a world of difference, but I do think it tastes pretty good, and I needed to add some fat to my menu for the day. I've been using at least 1/2 cup of water, a little more. I've experimented with other liquids too, like liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, fish sauce, and frozen stock cubes.

I've only used it ~5 times, so I'm learning as I go. =)

Good luck to you!
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member
 
PassionateFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 520
Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
Cooked them under high pressure for 4 minutes, and they were done. PERFECT chicken breast. Moist, tender, fall apart. Not dry in the slightest. It was great! I'm loving the pressure cooker so far.
Am I reading this right? 4 minutes for chicken breasts???? I must get a pressure cooker!
PassionateFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #145
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: SFGirl99
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
THANK you! Congratulations on your new magical wizard pot. I'm kind of obsessed too. I'm trying to use it as often as possible.

I haven't tried searing them first, no. I just wanted to give it a "no frills" first go and see how they cooked, simply raw. I actually like it a lot. The texture, as my fiancé compared them, is tender and fall apart-y like a Chick-fil-A chicken nugget!

The first time I put cabbage/water on the bottom of the pan, then the trivet/cooking rack on top of the cabbage, and the chicken on top of the rack. The cabbage got brown but didn't BURN per se.

The next time, I put the rack on the bottom of the pot and threw everything else on top. I think I liked that outcome better. I don't use oil, but I have been throwing in a tablespoon of garlic butter that I made for flavor. I'm not sure if it makes a world of difference, but I do think it tastes pretty good, and I needed to add some fat to my menu for the day. I've been using at least 1/2 cup of water, a little more. I've experimented with other liquids too, like liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, fish sauce, and frozen stock cubes.

I've only used it ~5 times, so I'm learning as I go. =)

Good luck to you!
Thank you! I am going to give this a try on Friday! Can't wait!
SFGirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #146
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Gallery: SFGirl99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
Am I reading this right? 4 minutes for chicken breasts???? I must get a pressure cooker!
They are amazing - they cut your cooking time by up to 2/3!! I made braised short ribs in less than one hour - the recipe normally takes 3 hours! Can't recommend them enough!
SFGirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member
 
limetwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 913
Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateFire View Post
Am I reading this right? 4 minutes for chicken breasts???? I must get a pressure cooker!
You read that right. 4 minutes. As in four. One. Two. Three. Four. I followed the time table in the included booklet that came with my cooker, and I was a bit skeptical when I finally opened the lid at the end. After 4-7 minutes on high heat (you have to bring the pressure cooker "up to pressure" this way), you set a timer for 4 minutes, and then take it off of the heat and release the pressure inside immediately.

Bam.

Perfectly cooked, succulent chicken breast. FOUR MINUTES! I nearly screamed when I saw it! Hahahah! It's like magic. I cooked chicken/cabbage in the same pot and they turned out great. It's the perfect lazy man's way of cooking, but it's also incredibly healthy and energy-efficient. Don't get me wrong, I love the dry methods of cooking like roasting and grilling, but this is really awesome for those nights where you want dinner in a flash. Tender, moist dinner! I haven't tried it with a fatty cut of meat yet, but I can't wait to experiment. Chicken breast has performed wonderfully thus far. I got my pressure cooker for Christmas (<3 my fiancé!) but the model he got me cost 49.99. Presto 6 Quart, stainless steel. I chose stainless steel because I prefer not to cook in aluminum, but you can also buy an aluminum version for nearly half the price. It's very affordable, and considering how long it'll last, it's a great investment.

I'm a convert for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGirl99 View Post
Thank you! I am going to give this a try on Friday! Can't wait!
GOOD LUCK!
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #148
Junior LCF Member
 
Mina Vendetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Texas
Posts: 12
Gallery: Mina Vendetta
Stats: 297/222/130
WOE: Atkins <20
Start Date: 11/15/11
This blog is a huge inspiration and also hilarious and also makes me hungry!
Mina Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!
 
avid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: treasure coast
Posts: 1,131
Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I remember my mom had a pressure cooker back in the late 50's and 60's.
It had this little rocket shaped thing on top that would shudder and steam if the pressure got too high. I was always waiting for it just blow through the roof or something. LOL...I'm sure todays versions are much safer
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member
 
JessieBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast
Posts: 315
Gallery: JessieBear
Stats: (218) 192/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: 12/28/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
I got my pressure cooker for Christmas (<3 my fiancé!) but the model he got me cost 49.99. Presto 6 Quart, stainless steel.
And into the cart this one goes as well. Payday is next Friday!
JessieBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.