Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Thanks, Deb! I can't imagine not cooking now. I made it 21 years without doing it somehow...I taught myself with some experimenting and LOTS of reading, though.

Christine, I think it's called a Smith machine? I've never used one myself! No matter what, Smith machine deadlifts are way better than no deadlifts.

Oh, and the turkey..?

I forgot to take a picture until after I had cut off both of the legs/thighs. DANGIT! I was even going to use the fancy camera, but it smelled sooooo good we tore right in (after a 15 minute rest period of course!). Had some roasted broccoli/green beans on the side. The turkey was simply amazing. Since I butterflied it, the skin was crispy all over and incredibly well-seasoned. It was really difficult to not gobble it all down right then and there (no pun intended, I swear).

I've been tracking/weighing my food lately, but since it's quite difficult to weigh out/track things with bones/skin/etc., I just ate intuitively today. I am happy to report that I didn't stuff myself, and I stopped with I was actually full. Even though I lost weight very successfully, I still have issues with satiety signals and knowing when to call it a day. What can I say? I'm a food lover at heart.

But yes, it was sooooo delicious. I fully intend on butterflying my turkeys from here on out whenever possible. Yummiest skin ever, and the breast and thighs were both at the perfect doneness.

After I was done, I threw the carcass (along with another chicken carcass I had in the freezer) into my slow cooker to make some stock! Yum!

And we have plenty of leftovers, too.

Today will be a rest day, exercise wise. Just lazing around, doing a few chores, and browsing the web. A good Saturday.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style

Last edited by limetwist; 12-08-2012 at 12:45 PM..
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chalagurl
Stats: 245/240(16 weeks pregnant)/130
WOE: JUDDD
Hi Limetwist! I'm following your "blog" too, if that's okay! You are hilarious and a joy to read. And definitely a huge inspiration. Looking forward to your continued posts
Chalagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Limetwist, that turkey looks fantasic. Thanks for posting the recipe -- I totally want to make that. Delicious, juicy roast turkey is a dream come true for low carbers -- it tastes great just on its own yet lends itself to so many fantastic recipes. I love that you embrace cooking AND that you are so good at it. And, I am grateful that you share this - low carb dieting is much much easier when the food tastes fresh and fantastic.

Wishing you a truly blissful Saturday and Sunday...

Last edited by GailyGail; 12-08-2012 at 02:34 PM..
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Justice
Stats: 202/180/135
WOE: Atkins influenced whole foods
Great journal, Limetwist. You are so radiant. Consider me an official follower! How do you cook your pork butt? It looks delicious. Other than using the crock pot to make pulled pork, I've never used that cut.

Happy Sunday!
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, everyone! It's been a great Saturday/Sunday so far, full of relaxation and good times with my loverboy. <3 It's been so nasty and rainy, so it's a perfect "stay inside" type day. I wanted to go hike, but I've got major DOMS from weightlifting! That's delayed-onset muscle soreness, by the way. You feel fine the day after, and then TWO days after? OW OW OW! My biceps! My pectorals! Ahhh!!

Gaily, I love turkey so much. Poultry is just a great "anything" meat. I love it on its own, it's great with cheese/salsa, or dipped in mayonnaise or mustard, and goes well in soups and whatnot as well. Lots of options.

Justice, I have a few methods I use to cook pork butt. There's the pulled pork approach, like you mentioned, which is a wet method. There's also the "throw in the oven on low temp all day" dry method that can produce a pulled consistency or a more roast-like consistency depending on what internal temperature you cook the meat to.

Basically, take a pork shoulder or pork picnic roast and season with your dry rub of choice, throw in a 250 degree oven for 8+ hours.

Ultra-Crispy Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder | Serious Eats : Recipes

This recipe actually only applies to the pork shoulders that come with the layer of skin in tact. I get mine at Publix, generally as cheap as .99-1.29/lb! Awesome deal. You cook low and slow and finish it in a 500 degree oven to puff and crisp up the skin. INCREDIBLE.

If your pork roast doesn't have skin, however, just cook it in the oven until it pulls. I believe the magic temperature is 195 degrees F, but the roast is technically done as low as 160. It just won't pull.

And then there was the time my fiance smoked a pork butt on the Weber kettle at 250 for ~8 hours...

A religious experience for sure.

--

Woke up to a higher number on the scale today, 136.8. I think it's because I had a lot of salt last night in the form of turkey/chicken stock (which was DELICIOUS). Gah! Still, it sucks to see it. :/ But I must be accountable, yes. I think it's still good for everyone to see. I don't think I ate too much yesterday; I definitely moderated my intake without measuring. Oh well. I'm lifting and making progress, so I'm trying to break away from sweating the numbers. Daily weighing is still something I want to do, DEFINITELY. I just like to see how things change. It doesn't make me crazy or anything, and I treat it like a science experiment.

I have some collard greens in the crock pot right now. I've never tried making braised greens before, so I'm curious to see how it turns out. Collard greens, chicken stock, ~tbsp of pimientos, ~2 slices of crumbled bacon, apple cider vinegar, dash of erythritol. I'll report back. Leftover turkey for lunch, too! Maybe some green beans.

Last edited by limetwist; 12-09-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

OMG -- that photo of pork butt looks like it came from Bon Appetit! I showed the photo to my fiance and he was drooling! YUM -- your meal sounds so good --LOVE collard greens and green beans. The way you fix the collard greens sounds delicious too.

You should relax this rainy Sunday with your fiance. You already worked plenty hard.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/175/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Limetwist-I am coming to your house to eat, lol!!LOVE your attitude, so inspiring!!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Wow! Both the turkey and the pork shoulder look incredible! Way to go!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naples11
Stats: (200# pg) 120s
WOE: ZC for mental health
Quote:
Originally Posted by limetwist View Post
Thankfully my fiance and I are egg fans.
Sharing a quick recipe because I noticed in another post of yours that you have frozen ground pork as well. At least once a week I make this super-easy breakfast casserole: pound of ground pork, browned and drained; 5 eggs, beaten a bit; package of shredded cheddar cheese. Layer the pork, then the eggs, then the cheese into a dish, slide into 350 oven for 30 minutes or so, take out when bubbling and edges are the tiniest bit brown. This is fantastic right out of the oven, but I also take a square of it cold if I need something in the car. I serve this at night as well for dinner (toast on the side for my 2 teens). It's relatively inexpensive and hearty.
Naples11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
SMITH MACHINE! Thank you! I've been looking for the name!

Love the food pics!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples11 View Post
Sharing a quick recipe because I noticed in another post of yours that you have frozen ground pork as well. At least once a week I make this super-easy breakfast casserole: pound of ground pork, browned and drained; 5 eggs, beaten a bit; package of shredded cheddar cheese. Layer the pork, then the eggs, then the cheese into a dish, slide into 350 oven for 30 minutes or so, take out when bubbling and edges are the tiniest bit brown. This is fantastic right out of the oven, but I also take a square of it cold if I need something in the car. I serve this at night as well for dinner (toast on the side for my 2 teens). It's relatively inexpensive and hearty.
Sounds DELICIOUS! I need more ground pork recipes. I love eggs hot and cold too; so versatile, they are! Mmmmmmbubblycheesyeggs.

Glad everyone is liking the food pics! Most of them are just silly mobile pics, but hey, it's better than nothing. It's also nice to get me to take more pictures of my daily goings-on.

--

I had a very awesome and adventurous day! I went to the thrift store and grabbed some jeans, a shirt, and a cute skirt—always a good thing. This particular store is in a very international area of town with lots of ethnic markets and the like, so I drove down the road and hit up a few places I've never been to: an Asian market and a Halal butcher! I was just curious to see how meat prices and produce run at these types of places, and boy, was I in for a treat.

The Asian market had homemade kim chi, freshly made by two older ladies in the back of the store. They handed me some straight out of the kitchen. It tastes PHENOMENAL. Garlicky, with the perfect amount of acidic bite and spicy kick. And cheap as heck, to boot.

There were lots of awesome odds and ends at this store. Look, quail eggs! Never seen this on sale before.

Cute. :3

There were bags of severed duck heads, homemade fish sauce, pickled mustard greens, salted duck eggs, and so many more interesting things. It was really fun to shop through.

Of course, I saw this and immediately had to go for it:

Freshly-rendered pork fat. It tastes delicious and rich. I also got some freshly-made pork cracklings (not pictured) that are TO. DIE. FOR. Crunchy beyond belief, yet fatty and unctuous, with just the right amount of salt and a healthy sprinkling of pepper flakes. Ohmahgawd. I was in heaven. I got 2 giant containers of kim chi, a container of pork lard, pork rinds, huge daikon radish, and a big bag of bean sprouts for 13 bucks.

At the Halal butcher, I had an equally awesome time. To be honest, I was a bit gun shy here, because I had absolutely no idea what to expect. It was a small international market with a room off to the side, complete with a counter, a butcher's table with a band saw attached. I was curious to see if they carried goat, and the proprietor, an incredibly kind older man, emerged from the meat freezer with a hunk of meat the length of my forearm. Yup, it was goat leg alright. I asked how much. He said 5.50 per pound. I decide, what the heck, I'll go for it. Right in front of my eyes, he slices, no, saws the goat into manageable chunks for me and bags it up. What a delight!

As he entered the freezer, I spied through the cracks hanging carcasses of cloven mammals, dangling without a care in the world.

Awesome.

So I began to inquire, with a healthy dash of ignorance and a sprinkle of caution, the types of meats and cuts he carried. It was no holds barred. Shanks, shoulders, ribs, feet, heads ... yes, heads.

A wild thought raced through my mind: should I do it?

That was when I found myself asking if he had lamb's head.

3.50 per head.

Before I knew it, I was watching the man before me slice a sheep's skull into four parts, showing me how to crack open the jaw when I began the cooking process. He was even so kind as the saw off the top of the skull for better access to the brain.

It was the coolest experience ever.

So now, I emerge from my day's trip, one sheep's head and 1 and 3/4 pounds of goat richer.

Now to figure out what the heck to do with it ... I may end up freezing it until a better time. Still, I'm making it a goal to expand my tastes and explore other cultures' cuisines. It ain't all about the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, after all.

Shamefully, I had boneless skinless chicken breasts for dinner.

Greenest meal ever.

But I can explain! It was a post-workout meal; nice, lean protein makes for a good boost after a workout like that. I also had some of those delicious homemade Asian market pork rinds, and 2 tbsp of Almond Butter as dessert. I managed to make it last 10 minutes or so, slowly eating my allotted serving out of a little cup I poured it into. It was mentally and physically satisfying to not suck down globs of the stuff all at once like I am sometimes wont to do...

Today's numbers ended up being around 1200 calories (probably a little more, snacked on some kimchi), and 21 carbs, 12 g fiber. Lotsa veggies today.

Here's today's weightlifting, by the way.

Barbell Deadlift:
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 95 lb x 5 reps
Bent Over Barbell Row:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
Standing Military Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps

Felt good. I still can't do a Standing Military Press worth a hoot. Working on that. All I can do is press the naked bar. But I'm making progress. Personal record of 95 lbs on the deadlift! Aww yeah.

I told myself that I probably wasn't going to write a huge post on my day off since I was more than likely going to be boring, but this ended up being my most exciting one yet!

My mom is coming to visit tomorrow, so we're going to go out shopping and go out to eat (low carb friendly, of course). I'll take some pictures if I remember! Can't wait to see her. This is our first shopping trip in years, just the two of us.

Last edited by limetwist; 12-10-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Limetwist, I sometimes buy the quail eggs at my local Asian market and just hard-boil them like I do regular chicken (and duck) eggs. They are like Barbie boiled eggs when peeled, maybe 3 equalling one chicken egg but with a higher ratio of yolk to white than chicken eggs.

I had lambs' brains at a Middle Eastern restaurant (Saffron, whose owner competed on Iron Chef) and they were to die for. I think the cookbook "Nourishing Traditions" has some recipes for cooking brains and so does "Joy of Cooking." I'm looking forward to your post on cooking the lamb brains, and then maybe I'll try it myself; there's a halal butcher shop a block from my house.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I am sort of blown away that Nashville has such cool things. Of course, when I lived there 25 years ago for school, east Nashville was NOT cool and hip like it is now.

I am glad that I don't live there, though, as Jeni's ice cream would derail any low-carb efforts I might make.

Can't wait to see what you do with all these goodies!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Limetwist, you MUST post photos and recipes of your Asian food when you are ready. And your chicken dinner looks pretty darn good that photo too.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

I also love thrift store finds and would love pix of those as well ... I figure buying smaller and smaller clothes is part of a low-carb way of life so certainly you can incorporate that here! I'm in a Big 10 University town so our thrift stores have awesome steals and it is rare that I pay retail for any clothing, including my teens. We have a deal, that if a kid at school asks where they got something that they're wearing, my kids just say "oh it's Hollister" or "oh it's Abercrombie" ... no need to say WHERE they bought it, just the brand speaking for itself! That way they aren't really lying but also don't feel embarrassed about their mom's thrifting ways!

But that's a tangent. When you are cooking up the brains (), the Charles Washington website (got booted for posting it before ... it has a "zeroing" and an "in on" and a "health" in the domain name) has some pro's at zc cooking, for reference. I certainly cannot help you with cooking goat brains. But good on you for getting out there and expanding your horizons!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
I am sort of blown away that Nashville has such cool things. Of course, when I lived there 25 years ago for school, east Nashville was NOT cool and hip like it is now.

I am glad that I don't live there, though, as Jeni's ice cream would derail any low-carb efforts I might make.

Can't wait to see what you do with all these goodies!
From what I can tell, it's certainly come into its own. There are definitely lots of trendy things popping up hither and thither; I mean, I can't even begin to count the number of Fro-Yo joints around here—now that is the sign of a trendy locale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Limetwist, you MUST post photos and recipes of your Asian food when you are ready. And your chicken dinner looks pretty darn good that photo too.
I will definitely do that! I froze my goat meat and sheep's head for now, so we'll see what comes of those more interesting weirdo meats later. I had too much going on in the fridge as it is.

Quote:
I also love thrift store finds and would love pix of those as well ... I figure buying smaller and smaller clothes is part of a low-carb way of life so certainly you can incorporate that here! I'm in a Big 10 University town so our thrift stores have awesome steals and it is rare that I pay retail for any clothing, including my teens. We have a deal, that if a kid at school asks where they got something that they're wearing, my kids just say "oh it's Hollister" or "oh it's Abercrombie" ... no need to say WHERE they bought it, just the brand speaking for itself! That way they aren't really lying but also don't feel embarrassed about their mom's thrifting ways!

But that's a tangent. When you are cooking up the brains (), the Charles Washington website (got booted for posting it before ... it has a "zeroing" and an "in on" and a "health" in the domain name) has some pro's at zc cooking, for reference. I certainly cannot help you with cooking goat brains. But good on you for getting out there and expanding your horizons!
I love, love, love thrifting. The shop I frequent is in one of the richest counties around here (even in the United States, I do believe), so you'll bet your bottom that there are a ton of great name brand things that trickle in. I commonly walk away with all sorts of amazing clothing for a great price. The store itself is really awesome, too; all of of their profits go towards supplying jobs to special-needs adults. They actually employ ~30 special needs adults in their store/warehouse. It's a great operation.

I will definitely take some pictures! I didn't think to take any today or yesterday.

Today was a bit boring. I went back to work, and it was nice to go back. Woke up at 136.2. Still holding a little higher than I'd like. :/ Not sure why! I think I may be retaining water. Still, it was nice to have a drop in my weight after going out to eat yesterday with my mom. I had a big 12 oz. prime rib with steamed broccoli. Generally when I eat out at restaurants, I expect to bloat up like a dead fish. :P Hooray!

So, I worked worked worked and had eggs for lunch. Lifted weights when I got home. I was exhausted, just lacking energy, but here's my workout for the day:

Barbell Squat:
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- Weak. Had to dial it down and worked on correct form. Was having some foot pain, so I want to make sure I do all of my exercises correctly before I try and boast big numbers.
Barbell Bench Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 70 lb x 5 reps
- Felt good! A little shaky on the last set, but I managed. I love the bench.
Dumbbell Bicep Curl:
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- PUNY! I'm workin' on it.
Dip Station Bent Leg Raise:
- 30 reps
- 30 reps
- 30 reps

Today isn't very exciting, sorry.

For tonight's dinner, I cooked up pork shoulder steaks, rubbed with salt, pepper, and five spice powder. They were absolutely delicious. Roasted some green beans along with the whole lot. My fiance was in heaven. He gave me this look of absolute bliss when he bit into the pork steak as I tentatively asked him, "How is it?". What a cutie. I'm glad he's so enthusiastic about all of the stuff that I cook. No worries, though—he's honest when my cooking is lacking as well! I didn't think to take any pictures because I was totally in OM NOM NOM MUST EAT NOW mode.

I'm still not used to this whole "blogging" thing. Tomorrow will be more exciting, I swear.

*whisper*

There's a skin-on pork picnic roast sitting in my fridge right now, just waiting to be put in the oven at 3 AM and roast all day...

Eeeheheeee.

Last edited by limetwist; 12-12-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, those pork shoulder steaks sound terrific! I love that your fiance is into your cooking and enjoys low carb eating too --makes it much easier for you!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yum, those pork shoulder steaks sound terrific! I love that your fiance is into your cooking and enjoys low carb eating too --makes it much easier for you!
They were. They are convincingly steak-like if you cook them correctly and get the fat crispy and melty. I generally sear mine in a hot pan and then toss into the oven for a few minutes, but this time I tried doing it all under the broiler on a baking sheet. Didn't turn out half-bad, actually, though they get a wee bit overdone that way. My fiance told me that the edge of fat on them tasted exactly like the nice ribeyes my dad makes! I take that as a compliment! It's also much nicer to spend 1 dollar per pound rather than 8-10.

It DOES make life easier having a supportive SO. It also helps that he's gone from 217 to 165 by eating low-carb himself. So proud of him! So he has reason to like this way of eating! Though he's admittedly less strict than me and will grab the occasional cookie/doughnut from his office. :P Sigh! Magical man metabolism.

I took the pork picnic shoulder roast I was talking about earlier and sliced some deep cuts into the thick skin on top, rubbing the entire roast with Kosher salt. That's it! I'll add pepper later so it doesn't run the risk of burning in the oven.

It's 7 lbs, so I planned on roasting it for around 2 hours per pound @ 225 F, so that's 14 hours! I set my alarm for 3 AM, but woke up at 2 (potty break!) and decided "Eh, close enough."

I was going to take a picture of it raw, just for posterity's/information's sake, but it was 2 AM and I was half-asleep, so...here's an artist's rendition. Also demonstrates the difference between a boston butt and a pork picnic. The pork picnic has skin attached, as well as the leg portion.

If you turned the picnic over, you'd see a thick skin covering the roast.

This is what turns into crackling at the end when you blast it at 500 F...drooooool.

I took a peek at 7 this morning to see where we are:

Hey, looking good! And the smell...oh man.

That skin on top looks convincingly bread-like, doesn't it?

Have another angle:

You can see how thick the fat/skin layer is. Just how I like it.

WILL REPORT BACK WITH HOPEFULLY GOOD DSLR PICTURES TONIGHT.

Godspeed, little pork shoulder. You be good while I'm at work, okay?

Last edited by limetwist; 12-13-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

PIC DUMP TIME!

Here are some photos from Thanksgiving. Late, I know!

Here's the turkey:

Smoked turkey, sweet and sour green beans, and loaded cauliflower casserole.

And pics of tonight's slow-roasted pork shoulder.

After blasting for 20 minutes in a 500 degree oven, that tough, leathery skin turns to crunchy, melty pork rinds.

Hands down one of the best things I have ever eaten.

I was making happy sounds the entire meal inbetween impossibly loud crunching. OH MY GOSH! All I put was salt on it. That's all it needed.

I had some collard greens with it as well; they're nothing to write home about. I'm not a fan, but I thought I'd give it a go. :P I like them better raw.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Limetwist, major YUM! That pork shoulder looks incredible. And your Thanksgiving photos are to die for -- that plate of food looks delectable. What is your recipe for the loaded cauliflower casserole? That looks (from the photo) and sounds terrific!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

perfect eggs

Cris, re your post about the perfect boiled eggs in the "what are you eating today" thread ... will you dumb it down for me? I was a little lost when I read through the link you posted. Did you have a thermometer in your pot of water when you were boiling your eggs? I would love a softer yolk like the picture you took of yours.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Limetwist, major YUM! That pork shoulder looks incredible. And your Thanksgiving photos are to die for -- that plate of food looks delectable. What is your recipe for the loaded cauliflower casserole? That looks (from the photo) and sounds terrific!
It WAS, good gracious.

I actually made it up on the fly, but let's see if I can remember. I took a head of cauliflower and steamed it in the microwave, then chopped it up in my blender. You could do this by hand or use a processor or ricer or whatever you have. Mixed it up with my spices of choice—salt, pepper, maybe a little garlic and onion powder, whatever really—and laid everything into a casserole dish. Dump in sour cream and shredded cheese (eyeballed it) and mix well until combined. I added crumbled bacon on top, as well as more cheese, and baked until golden. Then I added some freshly chopped green onions at the end when it was baked to my liking! It was a nice dish that soaked up the juices of the turkey rather well, but still tasted very delicious on its own.

Quote:
Cris, re your post about the perfect boiled eggs in the "what are you eating today" thread ... will you dumb it down for me? I was a little lost when I read through the link you posted. Did you have a thermometer in your pot of water when you were boiling your eggs? I would love a softer yolk like the picture you took of yours.
Sure thing! That article is a bit intimidating. The Food Lab takes no prisoners when it comes to getting down and dirty with the details. Good for a study session, though not necessarily for a "Okay, I have ten minutes—how the heck do I do this?!" session.

I start off with my eggs in cold water and put them on the burner on high. The article recommends 1.5 quarts of water for ~6 eggs, but I haven't tried measuring the water out exactly just yet. I'm willing to bet that's about how much water I had in my pan, though. So, when your eggs start to make that "hey, I'm kinda sizzling a little and about to boil" sound, start checking your water temperature. This is where your instant-read thermometer comes into play. I have a ThermaPen (if you don't, go get one. 95 dollars, but it one of the most indispensable kitchen tools I own). The temperature you are looking for is anywhere from 180-190 degrees. Once your water hits that, turn the burner off and leave your eggs for at least 10 minutes.

Don't cover the pot or anything. Just leave 'em. This is nice, because you can literally just walk away and forget them and your eggs run no risk of overcooking because they can't get higher than 180 or so on the inside.

After 10 minutes, peel, and voila. Perfect eggs!

Granted, I've only done this once so far, so your mileage may vary. They were perfect though.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

it does help, thank you!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Happy to help!

Today's workout:

Barbell Deadlift:
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- 70 lb x 5 reps
- 80 lb x 5 reps
- 90 lb x 5 reps
- 100 lb x 5 reps
- 100! Felt good!
Bent Over Barbell Row:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- Hard. Think I need to work on form more for this exercise.
Standing Military Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- ARRRRGHHH! Getting easier, but still always so shaky on that last rep.
- 10 reps
- 10 reps
- 10 reps

Not my best, not my worst. Personal record on the deadlift! 100 lbs!

Buh, I'm boring. Maybe someone out there appreciates my weightliftin' stats. I foresee shopping in my weekend, and maybe a hike. Supposed to rain, though. Not hopeful. Food will probably be boring. I took out leftover ham from Thanksgiving out of the freezer. BOOOOO-RING! Still, maybe I'll take pics for fun. Gonna try something with the daikon radish I bought at the Asian market.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: AngeloftheHeart
Stats: 200/175/150
Start Date: Re-start 1-07-14- with a few cheats
You are adorable. Very cute blog you have going on and your pics make me want to go cook up a storm I find that lowcarb has made me become more creative with the way I cook. And it really is fun
AngeloftheHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Your weightlifting is impressive -- almost as amazing as your cooking which is FABULOUS! So don't say that your food will be boring because I have a sneaking suspicion that it never is -- you are creative low carb book. Have a great Saturday Limetwist!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Hey there! Have been catching up on your posts this morning and wanted to make a few comments:

1. That pork w cracklings that you made looks OBSCENELY delicious!

2. You seem like you know your way around the kitchen- meats in particular. Might be an interesting blog on its own. I can't recall having seen one. And I love what adventurous cuts you use- and that they are so affordable, and that you give comparison prices. Very innovative, missy!

3. Are you by chance following the Lean Gains model for your work-outs? I know you also do IF and was wondering if you follow Martin Whatshisname.

4. Can you name some of the blogs you frequent? I know that is a little tricky on LCF but you have mentioned a few that I hadn't heard of.

Leslie
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Wow! I want to come and live in your house! Seriously, your pork looks amazing!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloftheHeart View Post
You are adorable. Very cute blog you have going on and your pics make me want to go cook up a storm I find that lowcarb has made me become more creative with the way I cook. And it really is fun
AWWW THANKS. That's the intended effect, definitely. At least one of them. I want to inform, entertain, and delight! Cooking has been an incredible new outlet of creativity and expression for me these past two years. I've learned so much. I never cooked growing up aside from the rudimentary cake baking and egg boiling—heck, I was even doing that wrong.

Quote:
Your weightlifting is impressive -- almost as amazing as your cooking which is FABULOUS! So don't say that your food will be boring because I have a sneaking suspicion that it never is -- you are creative low carb book. Have a great Saturday Limetwist!
Thank you, thank you. <3 Even my boring things taste so delicious in my eyes. I just really find joy in food. :P Ahhhh, that's what got me here in the first place! Now I find joy in the right kinds of food, 90% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby1 View Post
Hey there! Have been catching up on your posts this morning and wanted to make a few comments:

1. That pork w cracklings that you made looks OBSCENELY delicious!

2. You seem like you know your way around the kitchen- meats in particular. Might be an interesting blog on its own. I can't recall having seen one. And I love what adventurous cuts you use- and that they are so affordable, and that you give comparison prices. Very innovative, missy!

3. Are you by chance following the Lean Gains model for your work-outs? I know you also do IF and was wondering if you follow Martin Whatshisname.

4. Can you name some of the blogs you frequent? I know that is a little tricky on LCF but you have mentioned a few that I hadn't heard of.

Leslie
Yo Leslie. A few responses to your few questions:

1. Yes. It was obscenely delicious. Try and eat that without making audible sounds of pleasure and rapture and you'll see one impressed limetwist.

2. I'm learning, yes! I do agree that it would be a great blog topic; I'm hoping to sort of do that here while talking low-carb/fitness/what-have you. I definitely have a heavy interest in frugality paired with cooking. I shop like a cheapskate not out of necessity, but out of good practice. I definitely try and use weird cuts and figure out how to make even the cheapest ones taste GREAT. Generally I am pretty successful, though there is the occasional flop.

3. I.. I've heard of leangains, which is often paired with IF, right? I don't know if I'm doing it, to be honest. I've read up on it a little before. I think LeanGains involves carbohydrates, doesn't it? I really have no clue! I've briefly checked out his site but nothing really sticks out in my memory.

4.Let's see. I'll give it a whirl, and if the mods don't like it, they can yell at me. LOL. I am an America's Test Kitchen FIEND. Not really a blog, but still. I get lots of inspiration from their site/podcasts. Serious Eats is also a great one (check out The Food Lab!) I like a few paleo blogs too, namely Nomnompaleo and The Cooking Caveman. I can't think of any else off the top of my head right now. Hmm... and I DID see your little PR post, hehe. It got moved. Warms my heart, though. Glad you're so interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
Wow! I want to come and live in your house! Seriously, your pork looks amazing!
THANKS! Come on down. I need more people to cook for. Good practice!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Now for my actual, non-response related journal. I wanted to split it up so it wouldn't be this big giant thing.

I've been a bit absent. I will try my best to fill in the gap with what all's been goin' down.

On Sunday, my fiancé and me scooted our butts over to the Asian buffet down the road for some mostly low-carb pigging out: I had fried chicken wings, baked chicken with herbs, creamy broccoli slaw, bourbon chicken (the only mini cheat-y off plan thing I had), string beans, shrimp...NUM. I admittedly ate way too much, but I've been eating cleanly and strictly for over a month now, on top of lifting. It was good to just sort of let loose and eat whatever delicious meats I wanted! Of course, I paid for it in water weight these past few days. Up 5 pounds the next day, LOL! It hurts to see that, for sure. I'm currently sitting at 137, which is admittedly higher than I'd like to be, but with my weight lifting, I think my weight is just a bit all over the place. Also still working off that water weight. Not gonna sweat it.

This weekend, I'm going home to visit my parents a few days for Christmas. This time, however, I am not straying off plan. Mom told me that she ordered a cake. I told her that I was simply going to admire it, but not indulge. She claims I may change my mind and have a piece.

HEAR MY WORDS, LCF-ers. I will not be touching a slice of it. I really struggled for a while after going raucously off-plan around my birthday a month ago, so I really am going to keep myself in check. On Friday, I'm going to go to Costco and get a bone-in prime rib roast to bring home and cook for the family. I will have lots of tasty, on-plan meats and veggies, in reasonable amounts. I will not stuff myself to the point of explosion. I will eat sensibly. I will succeed, and I will walk away from the whole affair unscathed.

Just needed to write that out, whew.

Weightlifting progress!

Still been keeping up with my 3x week lifting program, and it's feeling great. Had some pain at first, but I've been working on my form more and more, and things have been getting better. I'm feeling stronger every week.

--

Monday:

Hula Hooping:
- 0:10:00 || Easy
- Warm-up!
Barbell Squat:
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 90 lb x 5 reps
- Still working on form. Things are feeling better, and I'm squatting lower. 90 felt good, yet difficult. Here's hoping I can improve from there.
Barbell Bench Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 70 lb x 5 reps
- Benching felt great! 70 was a little tough on that last rep, but ultimately doable. Want to keep improving.
Dumbbell Bicep Curl:
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 5 lb x 5 reps
- 15 lb x 5 reps
- Doing this in lieu of my inability to do a chin-up. D: Better than nothing!
- 10 reps
- 10 reps
- 10 reps

--

Wednesday:

Hula Hooping:
- 0:03:00 || Easy
- Easy peasy warmup.
Barbell Deadlift:
- 65 lb x 5 reps
- 75 lb x 5 reps
- 85 lb x 5 reps
- 95 lb x 5 reps
- 105 lb x 5 reps
- WOOHOO! Feelin' good on this one.
Bent Over Barbell Row:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 55 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- 60 lb x 5 reps
- Weak, weak, weak. I suck at these, and I don't like them. :[ All the more reason to CONQUER THE BENT OVER ROW!
Standing Military Press:
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 45 lb x 5 reps
- 50 lb x 5 reps
- FINALLY PUT WEIGHT ON THE BARBELL. WOOT!
- 10 reps
- 10 reps
- 10 reps
- Because why not.

--

I'm currently on my lunch break eating my hardboiled eggs. Food has been pretty boring, so I haven't taken any pictures! I've been eating pork steaks rubbed with Five Spice and salt all week, with green beans. Yum yum yum!

I'll have some awesome food photos from the weekend, definitely. I think we're going to smoke a turkey on Sunday too! Lots of fun Christmas foods.

LATER GATORS!