Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #751
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
that is kind of awesome. and kind of exactly what i go thru. which is why i must stop the constant diet mentality and work on portion control KNOWING that if there is a super yummy meal that it's OK if i want to eat more for that meal and that eating extra is never totally off limits. you know, why not apply the 80/20 rule that we talked about with primal? 80% of the time is spent striving for portion control and IF NEEDED there can be some overindulgences. the more i think and pray about my relationship with food, the more i realize that when i restrict WHAT i eat, it only leads to a binge eventually. i need to stop the diet mentality and work on the, for lack of a better term, everything in moderation thinking.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #752
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/141.8/130
WOE: IE/M&E
I like that. The 80/20 was always a happy place.

Re: the post above, can anyone says loading?

Like I say I hadn't planned to start this until at least the end of the week, but it just felt right. I just went to Walmart and was walking down the aisles thinking I could have that & that & that. And having that thought alone made me realize I didn't actually want it. I usually need to find some kind of a treat when I go grocery shopping and this time I could have anything. But I asked myself if I was actually hungry. Since the answer was no, I didn't get anything. And I'm just fine.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #753
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

my biggest challenge is stopping when PHYSICALLY I know I have had enough and not continuing to eat bc it TASTES good. this what happened at lunch, I knew I should have stopped and I didn't. I must stop that.

I started reading Carolina coast's journal and in it she talks about the stopping. stopping when the bites begin to not taste as awesome as the first few. I really need to practice that.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #754
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I stopped half way through my steak and saved it for later and never had it later, but might for lunch. Maybe that would be something to consider. Because we can eat if we're hungry whenever that is. Itís not like No S where we have to wait until our next meal.

I haven't tried the taste thing yet. I'm going to start considering that. My challenge is paying attention and savoring what I eat. I eat my breakfast in the car on the way to work and many times eat my lunch at my desk while Iím working. Iím not thinking about what Iím eating let alone if Iím satisfied or not.

I've been reading Overfed Head. You can download it for free as a pdf. Thatís what really hooked me.
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #755
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes, i just need to get it in my head that i can eat MORE next time i get hungry…i don't HAVE to eat BOTH donuts RIGHT NOW….ahem…not that that happened today or anything.

i will look for that article. thanks! also considering the skinny jeans one i have seen mentioned.

supper went better. i still feel i may have eaten too much…definitely not stuffed, but i do think i could have stopped sooner. but, at least it was better than lunch. (micro)baby steps, eh?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #756
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did great at dinner. Took a smaller serving (if I'm still hungry I can have more). Paid attention to taste. I tasted the difference! Took one more bite just to be sure, sure enough, stopped. Later got hungry again. Maybe head hungry Got a small whip and small piece of SF chocolate. DH topped off my whip and I was full. Should have put back the chocolate and I knew "the one bite" really meant "I'm eating it anyway". Now I'm too full. Dang, I thought I had it. baby steps.

I bought the Skinny Jeans download, but my Kindle is my I Phone, so not as convenient. I haven't read as much but it seems very much like Overfed Head. So far very much.

New day tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #757
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

be kind to yourself…it's unreasonable to expect 100% perfection out the gate. it's that we keep trying and restart for the next meal if we have a slip up.

i must not have done too bad at supper last night as my tummy was sort of lightly growling when i went to bed. i kind of like that, to go to bed a little empty.

woke up hungry this morning and what sounded the best to me was cinnamon/sugar toast. so that's what i had, two pieces and a hard boiled egg. i didn't eat the egg bc it didn't taste right. tummy feels pleasantly happy. i still have to fight with the mouth hunger a wee bit, this is one of my biggest frustrations and one i hope to overcome with time.

so remember ella's last meet is tomorrow. her session is first thing in the morning at 7:45 and it's an hour away. so i talked to her bff's mom and we are going to surprise the girls by going tonight and staying in a hotel. they don't know yet. so i will have the challenge of eating out tonight and possibly a movie.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #758
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What a wonderful surprise! I bet you guys have a ball. And how great it is that you aren't on a restricted diet. she does well!

After a very good FF week slowly transitioning into IE I thought I'd break the 140s. I feel thinner and look toner. I weighed in at 143 I'm actually looking forward to trying IE with our weekend road trips. This is going to be Mother's Day run for us. I usually gain 3-4# over the weekend just to try and diet it off all week. This weekend's goal is to enjoy life and not gain.

Here's to a very successful weekend to us both!!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #759
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

after i posted, my stomach was still growling so i had a protein bar and more coffee. feeling good now.

are you going anywhere this weekend then?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #760
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We do the run from Sacramento to Chico (about 250 miles run trip) to bring flowers to our Moms.

Ya know I think we so got this because we are so ready.

I missed you!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #761
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i missed you too. was just in a perpetual (somewhat) binge-y hamster wheel and couldn't shake it. but i feel like it's getting better. thanks for not giving up on me.

have a lovely trip.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #762
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How was the meet? Did you guys have a great time at the hotel?

We had a very nice weekend. We didnít do the Motherís day run, weíll probably do it Motherís day Saturday. Instead we ended up shopping for some shoes and shirts we needed and stayed home the rest of the time and gardened.

IE has been adventure in self awareness. Itís amazing how much I eat more then I need. Iíve been really focusing on the tip you gave me about the taste of the food changing when youíre satisfied. It was surprising how that really works. Iíve tested it with another bite or two and it is a clear signal every time. I donít have trouble knowing when Iím hungry, but eating a regular meal with DH had superseded that a few times. I feel like I have still won by only eating until Iím barely satisfied and leaving the rest. I really wanted some sweets when I woke up from a nap after gardening. I went for my skinny cow cones and they were out, so instead got the most evil Magnum bars. I talked myself into believing I was hungry when I later had a second one. Iím thinking there is some mighty convincing head hunger I need to learn to recognize. Then I remembered our 80/20 rule and am feeling real good about how the weekend turned out.

Hereís to a great week!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #763
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

your weekend sounds lovely.

great job on talking thru the reasons for and why you ate. even tho our ultimate goal in this is to DECREASE thoughts of food, it seem that in the meantime, we think of it MORE. but i think that is part of the process in achieving the ultimate goal of viewing food as fuel but knowing it is still ok to enjoy it.

the meet went well and we had fun with our friends. friday i shared a meal with ella…orange chicken with noodles. had an crab rangoon and some of the chicken and noodles, but didn't overeat at all. that felt good. then we went to a movie and we got a small popcorn and runts, she got nestle crunch bites. by the end of the movie, only half of the small popcorn was eaten and still had runts left. i'd have to say that i wasn't physically hungry for the popcorn and runts, but while i was eating supper, i consciously didn't eat till satisfied bc i knew we wanted to enjoy movie treats. all in all, i think it went well as i didn't feel stuffed at all.

ella got 5th all-around. and i can't remember off hand what her individual places were for the events. i wasn't hungry for the hotel breakfast, so just had coffee. stomach started to growl after got to the gym so got a banana and a scotcharoo from the concession stand. ate the banana and part of the scotcharoo. after the meet we did some shopping then had lunch. ate at red robin. i had a cup of french onion soup and an order of sweet potato fries. i allowed a 20% here as the sweet potato fries were super yummy and my friend order their super yummy fresh chips. so nibbled on those. did some more shopping after lunch. during that, i got into my left over runts….this was a not physical hungry snack. as we headed home, we stopped a orange leaf (a dish out your own frozen yogurt with every imaginable topping available). definitely wasn't hungry for this. but allowed it anyway. didn't get hungry again till 8pm and just had some carrots and tortilla chips with ranch dip. and the little pice of left over scotcharoo from the meet.

sunday morning at church, i was hungry and allowed some a donut. did pretty good for lunch too. my best eating adventure for the weekend was last night at kendall's FFA banquet. took some of everything…pretty good portions. for the first time since getting back to this, i felt what is like to be hit with, wow, this all just doesn't taste good anymore, i'm done. and left about half of everything i took….except the small piece of cheesecake. that i knew i wanted to eat all of. it felt so good to experience that feeling of leaving food. previously i would have talked myself in eating it all bc i thought it tasted good. this time was very clear that i didn't really want to keep eating till it was all gone. what a great feeling. i hope this is the beginning the internal fight ending with regard to WANTING to keep eating simply bc it tastes good. i hope the clear signal of 'this doesn't taste fantastic anymore' continues to only get easier and more clear.

yes! here's to a great week!!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 AM   #764
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

(wow, that was very detailed account of eating… )
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #765
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're right! Long way around to not thinking about food all the time. I was thinking that very same thought yesterday. But I think it's working.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #766
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

how's it going?

i'm struggling wanting to eat smaller portions. i don't want to give up bc i know this is the best option for me right now.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #767
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For the most part Iím doing okay because I can have more of whatever I want, whenever I want it (as long as Iím hungry). Last night I could not get full though. I think knowing I had a trunk full of muffins to take to work today kept my mind trying to convince me I needed to have one. Funny thing is when I could have one this morning, I didnít want one. Whatís that about denial? I am having trouble not overeating if I don't pay attention at work though. I finish and realize ďoh I could have/should have stopped soonerĒ.

Another trick I've tried is set the food behind me for a minute. Then when I go back to finish it, I'm over it, rather than telling myself to stop.

I read this on one of the other threads that helped keep me going because I was feeling a little heavy this morning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
just a word about initial weight gain. It is not unusual to gain up to 3-5 pounds when first starting Happy Eating. Once you are really in the groove however, those pounds leave and take friends with them. I know how scary this is--I also know how easily a gain on the scale triggers diet think. I encourage people to try and tolerate an initial bounce, and not to make all of this another kind of diet.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #768
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

too funny (or, bizarre?? ) i too could not get full last night till i had had more than i should have needed.

that's a good trick to try putting your food behind that, i will try and do that sometime.

i don't know what my deal is. it's like i'm making food more important than the smaller jeans i know would feel good. i know that sounds vain, but at it's simplest level, that's what it is and it's completely juvenile. that's what i feel like, a child not getting their way.

so i was visiting with a friend. she got out some apple bread she made. i had some, wasn't hungry. but social situations like that are a huge weakness for me. now, i did wait till i had physical hunger before eating anything else. i walked to the gas station with the intention of getting their awesome popcorn and a bag of jerky once i was hungry. they didn't have any popcorn made so i got the last personal sized pizza they had out. 4 small pieces, i ate the whole thing. but i don't feel stuffed. i also had some taffy and tootsie rolls while eating the pizza. i just feel pleasantly full and it tasted awesome till the last bite was gone. does that mean i ate to satisfaction or did i overeat bc i didn't stop at half to see that would have been enough? problem was i didn't WANT to wait halfway thru to see if it was enough. this is my biggest problem….

clearly, i still have a long ways to go….

i have given up weighing, i still only monitor the mirror and how clothes fit. i feel meh….possibly have gained some. but this isn't what is bugging me…it's my thinking that is frustrating for me.

Last edited by dazygyrl; 05-06-2014 at 01:08 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #769
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Did you ever see the old pizza commercials where it says to eat faster before your tummy knows itís full? Sometimes I eat so fast thatís what happens to me. I think we have to give ourselves time. Not necessarily to say we canít have any more, just to register where we are on the hunger scale. I need to keep telling myself if I donít eat it all now, Iíll have some leftover for later. But I donít always succeed.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:34 PM   #770
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

why was it we quit No-S?

we're fickle and change our minds a lot, right?

i feel like i'm floundering with no direction even tho we have the overhead fed guideline. in other words, i think i need more structure as insane as that sounds.

i think No-S is that structure. ouis mentioned No-S in the hungry beast thread… i think it's the waiting and wondering, am i going to be hungry in time for that lunch date…what if i'm not hungry? when will i be hungry again…with No-S it's 3 meals regardless. IE can still be applied to that, dontcha think?

have i completely lost it with indecisiveness….
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #771
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know I was wondering the same thing a couple days ago.

I think they would go together nicely, especially since we're such eat with the family or on the occasion eaters. How would we deal with last night when we couldn't get full? I was okay with dinner, though it was small (maybe that was the problem) it was after dinner I was so ravenous.

Limiting the snacks would be no real hardship; those are pretty much out the door with IE. Limiting the sweets to S days would probably be an asset to me; I can get carried away with those.

I think maybe we just weren't losing much but we did it when we were pretty low already. But we weren't gaining. I don't really think we gave it much of a chance. Really, us?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #772
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i agree. as much as i don't like restriction, sweets get me too, so a bit of structure in that area alone could get me in a better headspace.

i don't even remember where i was weight wise when we tried it.

i think i'm going to give it a go…what do you think? the same but different?
Old 05-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #773
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm hungry, home alone and trying to figure out what's good enough to eat. Yes say it..................I'm a Flibberdigibbit!

You made me pull out my No S book. Really we needed a book for this? I looked in my journal and I guess I deleted the page. That's what made me think we didn't give it much of a try.

Tomorrow I have one of my seminars. I've been looking forward all week to finally being able to have the muffins and fruit. Watch they probably won't have it So the No Sweets is off the table tomorrow, assuming I actually want it when I get there Then I'm grabbing lunch with the friend I'm going with, no big there. And then home alone again tomorrow night. So what ever I want.

So yeah, the same but different. You're on.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #774
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

it's eerie our in-syn-ness. right before I read your last post I reread the book. o.O

you know how they say that kids act like they don't like rules, but in fact, they thrive on boundaries? that's kind of how I feel right now. I think I want to do whatever I want with diet, but when I have actually been doing that, I feel even more lost and floundering. does that make sense?

I'm actually feeling hugely renewed and even relieved.

you could still do fruit couldn't you? is fruit a no no? I may have skimmed that part of the book.

enjoy your lunch! where you going?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #775
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Page 75
Do Fruits Count as Sweets?

Fruits are not S foods; they're fine. Fruits are a big help in fact, because they're the sweetest thing you can eat during the week; they'll take the edge off your sugar cravings. And without all the over stimulation of you sweet tooth, you'll enjoy them more than you ever did before.

Just make sure to enjoy them with your meals, of course and not in between. Besides being tasty and healthy, fruit also tends to be bulky, so it crowds out less health stuff, which is a great help in keeping down the calorie count of even fully loaded single-plate meals.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 AM   #776
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #777
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, i feel so much more peaceful today. the constant food thoughts have dramatically decreased. there is no wondering when or if i'll get to eat again waiting for my stomach to growl, i just know that there will be three meals and done. this is oddly comforting for me.

how's your day, buddy girl?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #778
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well.................................. They had the muffins and so did I. Then I sat there and munched on M&Ms. Why? I donít know. I donít really even like M&Ms. Then we went for burgers and fries. I ate more then I needed for sure, but am not overly stuffed. I may or may not have dinner. With DH gone I can pretty much do as I please. I donít really feel bad at all. Just calling it a 20% day. But I donít feel the need to continue being bad or make up for it. So I guess Iím good.

DH called and told me to set some $$ aside (Iím paying bills tonight) because heís going to look at puppies with his customer tonight. Puppies!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #779
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yep, just chalk it up to 20% and move on.

oooooo, puppies! i have been meaning to ask if you had found a fur baby.

do you know what kind? small, medium, large?

Last edited by dazygyrl; 05-07-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #780
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my goodness, I'm a puppy mama!

He's a black lab and won't be ready to come home until May 24th. As soon as I get pictures, I'll post.