Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stephkp
Stats: 265/199.6/140
WOE: my own
Start Date: last year
I don't want to be the fat, old mom anymore!!

My struggle with my weight has been going on a long time. I have been overweight since I was ten years old. I have gone on many diets and lost a little weight then get frustrated, quit and gain it back plus some.

I heard about the low carb way off life many years ago from my MIL. She lost weight doing Atkins and she is now a tiny lady. I thought that it was crazy to give up bread, rice, pasta etc. Well, after getting to my highest weight ever last year at 265lbs, I decided to give low carb a try.

I ordered the Atkins book and the Dr.Bernstein book from Amazon and devised my own low carb plan. I started off by cutting my carbs to 20 a day and eating lots of veggies and lean meats (mostly chicken and pork chops). My husband thought I was crazy for eating this way but supported my efforts. I did pretty well for about three months and got down to 230lbs. Then I went to visit my family in Mississippi and got off plan. It's really hard to do low carb when you are from the south! I am the type of person that once I get off track, it is hard for me to get back on. I gained back about 15 lbs.

Fast forward to January 2012. I knew how good the low carb diet made me feel and how I was losing more weight and how easy it was to follow. I decided then and there that I was going to get back on plan and lose more weight. I did pretty well and went from 245lbs to 209 in about 6 months. I was so close to onederland. I had not been below 200 since 2003. Well I went back to MS for a visit and guess what, I got off plan again. I gained back about 10-15 lbs.

I decided in this month that I had to get back on track. I weighed 209lbs on Thanksgiving day but I ate sweet potato casserole and rolls and pie.
It is so hard on holidays! I gained 5lbs in two days!!! I was so depressed but I made myself get back on plan on Saturday and as off this morning I am back to 209.2 lbs. I am determined to get below 200 by new years.

I am going back to MS in about two weeks but this time I let my mom know what I am eating and what I'm not. I am not going to get off plan this Christmas. I am too close to give up now.

I decided to start a journal and post my weigh ins and my food so that it will keep me going.

My food for the day will be:

B: diet coke
L: homemade Buffalo wings with Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo sauce (1 carb per tbsp)
D: Pan fried pork chops with butter, olive oil and some sautéed mushrooms and some pan roasted brussel sprouts and sweet peppers.

Usually during the day I drink tea sweetend with Splenda, diet coke or water.

I have a 5 yr old daughter who is not overweight, but since both her parents are obese she is got genetics against her. I don't want her to grow up with the problems I did. I want to be able to be around for her for a long time. I was 37 when I got pregnant with her so people already think I am her grandma.

I know that I can do this! I am sorry this is so long but I just wanted to share my story. I am hoping that this journal will hold me accountable.

Onederland here I come!! I hope to start 2013 at 199lbs or below.

Thanks for the support!!!
Stephanie
stephkp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Your food intake looks great, Stephanie! You can do this!!! This board is just wonderful -- there are so many nice, wise, supportive people who offer just great ideas, tips, recipes, advice and support. You came to the right place.

And you will be 199 or below by the start of 2013! Cheers!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Stephanie...you can do it...I am a Mom with sons 20 years apart ....I had my youngest at 37...I will be 62 next month...I still dont want to be a fat old mom or grandma.....I am from the South...Texas...but live in AZ now...I will having family over for Christmas and I will be cooking regular goodies but I will be adding LC ones this year too...there are alot of things you can change...I loved the mashed potatoes but I will be adding the califlower fake potatoes with butter and garden vegetablecreamcheese in it...salads...Greenbeans will not be in the mushroom casserole this year but just good fresh greenbeans with bacon bits added.....Flourless/sugarless pound cake will be added for myself to enjoy....
Yes fixing for my loved ones will be there .....the temptations...but I will not give up what I have started to have to start over....My goal is to live...and enjoy being the woman I am...she is not a fat mother or grandma or even just a fat woman....she is special...

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...

Last edited by ladyinlove56; 11-29-2012 at 12:36 PM..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Lady in Love -- what a great holiday plan. You are awesome!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the advice! I already talked to my mom and told her to not let me eat off plan at Christmas. She said she would do her best to help me. I tried to make my sweet potato casserole a little less low carb by using Splenda instead of sugar and cream instead of milk. I need to learn how to make some good low carb deserts that I can have when my sweet tooth hits.

I will be updating daily. I did Weight Watchers before my daughter was born and I think the reason I lost weight on that was because I had that weekly weigh in to hold me accountable. I think that this journal will help me stay on track.

Our family is taking a vacation in March around my birthday to the Mall of America. I am want to be able to buy new clothes in the regular stores and not be stuck in Plus sizes. I am almost there. My next official weigh in is Saturday so I hoping for a good number.

Stephanie
Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

There are lots of great recipes floating around for low carb desserts. Go to SugarFree Sheila's website -- she has a whole bunch and so does this wonderful lady named Linda. Also, if you check into the Forums here, under the recipes section, there are several good recipes from KevinPa. I will find Linda's website address for you along with another one called Your Lighter Side . I find the more information and recipes and options you have, the easier it is to stay on plan.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Well I am one of those daily weighers. ( I know I shouldn't but I just can't help myself) I was still at 209. My official weigh in is tomorrow so hopefully I will be down for the week. I woke up today feeling bloated. I am thinking that I didn't get enough water in. I don't have a TOM anymore so I can't blame it on that.
I haven't gotten my full menu planned yet for today but so far I have had:

B: nothing but tea with Splenda (went back to bed after taking daughter to school)
L: 8 chicken wings with Buffalo sauce
D: I am thinking about making chicken thighs baked with a little Parmesan cheese. Some green beans leftover from last night and some squash cooked with olive oil and onions.

I may get me some sf jello and eat it with a little whipped cream for desert.

My husband has even lost 2lbs since I have been trying to measure out his food.

I have two parties to go to this month and I have no nice dresses that fit anymore. They are all too big! I may just go to the local thrift store and see if they have any I can wear.

Have a great day everyone!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I have to modify my dinner a bit. I got hungry this afternoon and had a small snack. So here was my daily food intake.

B: nothing but diet coke
L: 8 chicken wings with buffalo sauce
S: 3 pieces of beef jerky
D: 1 small chicken thigh w/Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup green beans
after dinner snack: sugar free jello w/whipped cream

I drank mostly diet coke and tea during the day but I made sure to drink a big jug of water with dinner.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in day so I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Your eating looks fantastic! Let us know how the weigh-in goes!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I was down to 208.4 almost a whole pound!!!!

I will take it. I woke up this morning to find that my cat had gotten into my beef jerky and ate all but one piece. GRRR. Oh well, I am not sure what I am going to do for dinner tonight. I took out some ground turkey. I made meatloaf the other night so I will look at the recipe boards and see what I can find.

B: two egg omelet with cheese and sausage ( I slept late so this is more like brunch)

I will post the rest when I decide what I am going to eat.

Side note: Mu husband told me his mom is making Swiss steak at Christmas. I may need to ask her to make a piece for me without flour or corn starch. She doesn't really do low carb anymore since she has gotten so tiny. She eats like a bird.

Have a good day everyone!!

Stephanie
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Here is my menu for the day.
B: 2 egg omelet with sausage and cheese ( Late Breakfast)
S: a couple of pork rinds
D: ground turkey patty cooked on George Foreman grill, roasted mixed veggies (squash, peppers,cauliflower) drizzled with olive oil, butter,Dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese.

I might have some sf jello with whipped cream for a snack.

Today I put on a pair of shorts that I have not been able to wear for 9 years. Granted I won't be wearing them out because it is a little too chilly.

I am so excited and can't wait to be wearing smaller clothes!!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Today the scale was good to me. 207.0! I had a hard night last night. After eating dinner I started getting the munchies. I wasn't really hungry but I wanted to eat really bad. I am glad that I resisted though and went to bed.

Today I am eating:

B: 2 egg omelet with cheese, bacon and onion/pepper blend.
L: Probably won't eat lunch because I ate breakfast really late.
S: if I get hungry I might eat some pork rinds (I wish I had some cashews)
D: I am going to make pork chops but I'm not sure how I am going to cook them. I will eat my left over squash/pepper/cauliflower mix from last night.

I really miss eating salads. I am craving one really bad but because of my h-pylori issues I can't eat lettuce. I may end up giving in and eating one and just deal with the pain.

Oh well, c'est le vie.

Stephanie
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Stephanie, you are doing really well! First, the weight is really coming off of you at a fast pace! And, you are resisting the urge to eat carbs even when you have the munchies. You deserve a huge pat on the back and CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss! Yay!!!

Your menu looks great. As for the pork chops, you can marinate those in a low carb marinade (like Italian dressing or olive oil, garlic, spices or even a low carb BBQ sauce) and then bake, grill or fry them. Before you know it, you will be under 200 pounds -- probably before Christmas. Now that will be a great present to give to you!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I did not weigh myself this morning. I have been sick all day, running a fever, aches and chills. I haven't eaten anything because I have been sick to my stomach. I have been just drinking water to keep myself hydrated. Hopefully tomorrow I will be feeling better.

Stephanie
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Feel better Steph! There are a lot of colds and flus going around.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Got up today and the scale said 205.4!! Now I am not expecting it to stick since I have been sick and not eating much. Yesterday all I ate was a couple pieces of bacon. My hubby is bringing me a chicken salad from subway to eat. I am hoping that the spinach doesn't upset my stomach like the iceberg lettuce does. I found out that I have two parties to go to next week. My husbands work party is at a sushi restaurant. I am not a big sushi eater. I will be willing to try it though, just without with rice. I am not sure where the other party will be. Hopefully it will be somewhere I can eat low carb.

I hope I can get rid of this crud soon. Running a high fever at three in the morning is not fun.

Stephanie
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Great news about in the weight loss though! You will be under 200 by Christmas easily! Yay! Good for you. Hope you feel better too...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Gail! This is the first morning I haven't woken up with a fever. I did have one small slip up yesterday. Old habits I guess. My husband brought me home a Little Debbie star crunch from the convienence store yesterday. I avoided it for a little while but then I broke down and ate half of it. I was afraid that it would knock me out of ketosis but according to the ketone stick I am still in it. I guess because even with the slip up I didn't go over 35 carbs. I am feeling bloated though. I still don't have much of an appetite. I asked him to please not bring me anything like that again. Even though he supports my weight loss, he doesn't understand this way of eating. He said " Steph you can't avoid this kind of stuff for ever and one piece won't kill you." I tried to explain it to him but he just doesn't get it.

I am trying not to weigh myself again untill Saturday. I am not letting this little slip up derail me!!!

Stephanie
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slange66
Hi, Stephanie. Just found your journal today. Congrats on your wt loss. You are at an exciting time in your wt. Loss journey. Onederland will be your gift to you for Christmas. Keep it up.
slange66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Yay! Good for you Steph! It is super hard to resist Little Debbie snacks --and the Star Crunch is yum! If you have stayed under 30 carbs fairly consistently, one little tiny mis-step won't ruin things totally. A very wise person who posted on my journal (think it was NH Free -- LOVE her!) said that as long as your little mistake does not put you over 50 or 60 grams of carbs per day, you should still stay in ketosis. So, I think you will be fine. I am not giving us license to cheat mind you. Just if you have been consistently faithful to the diet, don't let a tiny mis-step take you of course. Stay on track and you will see super great rewards very soon! Hang in there!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys! I am starting to feel better today. I will be checking in tomorrow with my weight loss for the week. I just don't have much to write about since all I have been doing is sleeping and not eating much. I have to go start dinner though because my husband will be hungry when he gets home. Have a good weekend !
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick update. I haven't been on much lately due to being sick and trying to get ready to leave for my trip to MS. My weigh in day was Saturday and I was 202.6. Since then I have gone down more. I am now 200.4! Granted I haven't been eating much but I am eating and I am sticking to plan. I took my daughter to a birthday part at Chuck E cheese on Saturday and was offered pizza and cake and I told them no thank you. Still kind of tired but very busy.

I hope everyone had a good weekend and I am sorry that I haven't checked in. Gail, I hope you are doing well.

Stef
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Stef, you are doing GREAT! It can be hard to stay on plan when you don't feel well but you are doing fantastic! Congratulations for saying no to pizza and cake at the birthday party. You have lost so much weight already and you will hit 190-195 by Christmas -- which is awesome! That is the best Christmas gift you could give to yourself!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Gail!! I hope to be on here a little more this week but I have been so busy. I have a lot of people's journals to read. I love reading everyone else's journals because it gives me encouragement and also reading what other people eat gives me ideas for my menus. My mom wants to take me grocery shopping so that she will have foods in the house I can eat. She is being really supportive.

Have a great night.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

YEA!!!!!!

I finally made it to onederland!!!!! Today my weight was 199.6. I am so happy. I haven't been under 200 lbs for over 9 years.

I am just hoping that when I go home for the holidays I don't get derailed. My mom is going to be my support but my sister might not be. She has more weight to lose that I do and she really loves her cookies, bread and pasta. I am so looking forward to going shopping for smaller clothes. I won't have my laptop so I may not be able to post to much. My phone screen is so small that it is hard to get on lcf and read posts. I will try to get on my mom's computer some and post updates.

Have a great Thursday.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 2012
Yay!!!! Steph that is excellent!! Congratulations on hitting onderland!!!
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Go Steph! This is a great holiday gift that you gave to yourself!