Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Velvets Low Carb Life

Hello there,

For about two months now I am trying the Low Carb Life. And so far I am loving it. I have tried entering a challenge on the challenge board, but I noticed that sometimes challanges die. So I decided to start a journal instead. To keep myself in check.

What to tell about me. Well my name is Sannie, online I use the name Velvet. I am a seamstress and velvet (and silk) is my favorite fabric to work with.

As a seamstress I make reproductions of corsets and victorian gowns. Next to beeing a seamstress I have a job as a legal assistant. On average I work 50 hours a week. This used to be my excuse for not doing any workout and eating unhealthy. But guess what, you can insert a healty food and workouts in any lifestyle. So I did. After years of on and off low calorie diets, I read about low carb and decided that it would suit me.

I am married to the most wonderfull and supportive husband, have a dog (alaska malute) and a black cat.

So far I have lost an amazing 15 pounds. And most importantly, not depending on any sugar makes me so much happier, so more sugar depressions.

Feel free to follow, tell me your experience and ask me anything.

Start 220 1 okt 2012
205==> 21 nov 2012
200==> 12 dec 2012
195==> 16 jan 2013
Blog: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...carb-life.html
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Oh I can not edit my post anymore, but I ment "no more sugar depressions" in stead of "so more sugar depressions". Obviously.

Anyway. Wednesday is my day of from my "normal" job. It is basicaly my sewing and workout day.

So this morning I went cycling for about 60 minutes. It went ok, it is pretty darn cold so I had to keep moving to stay warm.

Wednesdays is also my weigh day. This morning I was 2 pounds down from last week. The week before that I was only 0.4 pounds down. But as long as I do not gain much over long periods of time, I am good.

Now for eating this morning.

B: omelette with cheese
L: soy pancake (I am out of flax)
D: veggies and chicken, or paprika soup, have not made up my mind yet. :-)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Today is court day. For me this means I have to travel 8 hours for a sesion of 15 minutes. It also means that I am going to pass several train stations with several booths that sell all the things I can't eat.

So time to pack snacks for the way. I am taking a tomato salad, a low carb sandwich with cheese

And I have already cooked the paprika soup yesterday so that I know there is propper food waiting for me when I get home. Now lets hope I can do this. Would be nice to reach Onerland this year!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Friday last day of the week. Weekend is finaly here!

I so longed for pizza today, but pizza contains carbs. So I took an oven dish and put in it all the toping I would put on a pizza. Salami, cheese, ham, gorgonzola, mushrooms, paprika ect. So it was good. I always loved pizza because of the toping.

This weekend is going to be full with friends that come over. So the house is packed with carb full foods. And if my guest don't eat is my husband is going to have to take it to work on monday. No carbs for me. ;-)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

This weekend was bad. I did not eat any wheat or sugar but LOADS of cheese.
I had friends over and it was nice to see them again. They also noticed the weightloss so that was nice.

Today at work was not so good either. When I got back home I craved something sweet. But I took the dog out for a walk instead, and when I came home the Husband made dinner. Thisway I did not cheat, altough I really want to. Still do actualy. Time to drink some water.

Here is a little picture of my dog. He is so cute.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ChristineCQ
Stats: 234/192/159 (5'7")
WOE: DANDR
Start Date: 7/26/10 (re-start; original start 6/03)
Your dog is adorable! Looking forward to following your progress! Keep up the great work!
ChristineCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
Hi Velvet! I am happy you have started a blog! I miss you and the other Christmas challengers but it was driving me crazy worrying about the scale. I think I need to be relaxed to lose weight.

Hope you have a good week!

Leslie
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Hey Leslie and Christine, welcome!

@ Leslie, I understand what you say. I think the most important thing to remember is that you are doing this for you, not to win a contest challenge or whatever. This is for you and you alone. I do like the challenges because you can encourage eachother. But setting a goal within a certain time period is hard.

I am beeing very stressed again, so I do not think that the weigh-in tomorrow will be a positive one. But I do try to stay on plan today.

Started the day with an omelette and some greek yoghurt. This afternoon there is a chicken salad waiting for me, and tonight I am not sure yet. Perhaps another ometelle but this time with spinach.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love omelets! I tell my husband that if I didn't have to cook for the family, I'd eat an omelet for dinner every night!

I hope your stress levels come down!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Christine, the stress levels are still high but I was able to vent my frustrations at work. It helps to talk about it.

Just got back from a 20 km cycle. I use Endomondo to keep track of my workouts. Thisway I can see if I get any better at it and if I work out enough.

I have not worked out enough this month due to the flue. So better luck next month.

A friend of mine saw the improvement I made with eating low carb and will start now too! That is nice, someone to swap recipies with.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Always great to have company!!! And good for you for getting back to the workouts. I am also recovering from the flu; it was nasty!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Hi Sanni! You are doing really well with your weight loss. That is great. I love the photo of your dog -- what a pretty face. I agree with Christine, I just love omlettes -- such a quick, easy and satisfying low carb option.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! :-)

Did a little weigh in this morning, and I lost another 2.2 pounds in a week. Really happy with that! Onerland here I come!

My husband made me coconut cookies last night. (I can cook, but he is really good at it) As a little snack to take to work. For the coconut cookies we used 2 eggs, a back of coconut chips and artificial sweetener. They are really nice! And low on carbs to. About 0.5-1 carb per cookie.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They look delicious! And congrats on your loss!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I am so stressed out right now. Work is not fun anymore, woke up this morning with a panick attack.

But I am determind to stay on plan. After all eating unhealthy is not going to make the stress go away.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sorry to hear that! I hope you are ok. Good perspective: Unhealthy eating will only make it worse. Hope the situation is a temporary one.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Christine,

I hope to get more air and free time in january. It is just keep going until the end of the month.

I did not cheat tough, so that is nice. We went to see a movie last night, and I only had a diet coke, even tough the popcorn smelled delicious.
Today we are eating chicken with veggies. Tonight I am going to a bar with a friend. I do not drink that often, but I could really use a cocktail tonight. Not sure if I will tough. I am sleeping over at my friends place so I did pack my own breakfast, she generaly only has cruesli in house.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The movies are tough! That popcorn smell.......Good for you for abstaining!

Have yourself a nice glass or red wine or a diet coke and rum! Have a good time!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Wow, you're doing great, Velvet! I don't think I could go to the movies and smell the popcorn without having any.

It's so nice that your husband made those cookies for you. And I LOVE your dog's face. I had a husky years ago and he was a little wild, but beautiful and very smart!
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

@Christina: I sure had a good time, drank a lot of cola, altough some was picked up by others and I am not sure if they were diet coke. And I had 4 glasses of white wine. That was bad I know, but I did have so much fun.

But to balance it out a little I only ate eggs and meat today, and went cycling for an hour.

@ NH: Welcome! I have a lovely supportive husband. ;:-) That really helps getting you trough all the temtations of the hollidays.
Our dog is a husky malmute mix and he is also wild, smart, and subborn. But it is my little ball of furr and I would not want to be without him. :-)

We also have a cat btw, and the cat definately rules over the dog.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
That kitty sure looks like a Tough Boss!
Good for you for not caving in to carbs when under pressure.

Velvet, here's hoping One-derland is your next stop!

Leslie
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Velvet, I LOVE your cat! What a beautiful face on your cat! Your husky is gorgeous too. I love it that your husband made those delicious looking coconut cookies for you -- he really loves you. I know what you mean about the popcorn smell -- I love popcorn so that is a huge temptation but you did not give it to it!

I'm glad you had some white wine and some fun! You still stayed on the diet and did not eat carbs so a little wine can't hurt!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

@ Gail: I sure hope so, today I am going to chunck down as much water as I can. Drinking lots of tea and at least 2 liters of water.

@ Gabby: Yes Onerland! That would be awesome! Lets hope I reach it before Christmas, that would be nice. :-)

This morning I ate a low carb slice of bread, with cheese and bacon. (the low carb bread contans 7 carbs, so it is something I eat about once a week max.) I was all out of eggs.

Lunch will be a chicken salad,
Dinner: don't know yet.

I have my driving leasons this afternoon (do not have a licence yet) and it is snowing a little here. That should be exciting/frightning.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Good luck with the lessons, Velvet! You might already have learned this, but just in case you haven't: what we've learned here in the North is to keep a couple hundred pounds of weight in the back end of the vehicle (even front wheel drive), leave extra room to stop and don't touch either the gas or the brake pedal too hard. That helps tremendously to avoid sliding. If there's snow on the road and a curve up ahead, slow down some before the curve and then lightly touch the gas while you're going around it. Braking after you're already in a curve on a slippery road is probably the most frequent cause of spinning out. The rest is just practice. Every time I get a new vehicle, I take it out into an empty parking lot after the first snow and practice doing doughnuts, so that I know how to get it back in control if I slide on the road. It really helps and it's fun too.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! Well it was not slippery enough, but my driver instructrice said that when there is enough snow we are going to do some drifting. ^^

This morning I went for a run with the dog. We only did about 2 kilometers, but it was nice. Last night we had sauerkraut with creme fraiche, bacon and sausage for diner.

This morning it was eggs with bacon and mushrooms
For lunch an advocado with tomato salad
For diner eggplant lasagne. :-)

What do you guys do for workouts?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I just ride my recumbent bike every other day and do light weight lifting and a lot of toning exercises on the in-between days. I don't want to build any more muscle, as I already have a lot, it just needs to be hardened up. I guess it turns from hard muscle to soft when you don't use it for a while.

I tried running again, back in the spring, but I have a meniscal tear from years ago and it got too painful. I used to run 7 miles 3 times a week and I really miss that good feeling you get when you run.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

I use my elliptical trainer for about 45 minutes or I go for a walk along the coast. I would love to get into running again. When I was thin, I used to be a runner. I agree with NH: running feels really good. Now, I just need to get back into shape -- LOL!

One good thing about the elliptical is that I get to watch a lot of junk TV that Tony does not want to watch with me like the "Real Housewives" and Top Chef, etc. Velvet, I know you live in the Netherlands but here in the US, we have tons of junk reality TV shows that I like to watch occasionally (hiding my head in shame).

Velvet, your menus look really good by the way!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I prefer weightlifting to cardio. But weightlifting is like cardio for me; heart rate is up, and I'm sweating.

I lift pretty heavy weights, which gives me that dual punch of cardio and weight bearing. I'm on a 12-week program of progressively heavy weights. I can definitely see the difference in my strength and body composition.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

So cool to see that everyone has their own way of excercise! I love cycling, but since I have to walk the dog anyway, why not run with him.

I do watch all kind of TV shows too. Like Big Bang Theory, Once Upon a Time, Game of Thrones, Grimm. Mostly fantasy things. I am not into real life things, but I really do like to watch TV. *blush*
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Weigh in today, and I lost another 1.5 pounds. So the wine did not kill my diet as I tought.

Today is a bussy day with sewing, putting up some christmas deco, and cleaning the house, and some Taebo ofcourse. I did notice in my stats that I loose more when doing regular workouts. So working out it is. :-)