Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Weight Loss Journals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/)
-   -   Finish Strong (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-journals/789550-finish-strong.html)

Potaty 11-18-2012 07:52 PM

Finish Strong

My first journal can be found by clicking here.

Quick Recap: I had three babies in just under four years. DS1 is now 4.5, DD is 3 and DS2 will be 10 months old this week. I started homeopathic hcg in July of 2010, when my DD was 10 months old. I went from 220 to 165 in just 4 rounds but then I got pregnant again before I got to my goal. Unfortunately, I gained most of my weight back throughout my pregnancy so I definitely have some work to do.

I will be turning 35 on May 26th 2013 and I am going for goal this time! I would love to see 135-140 by then. I will be doing hhcg again and I am joining the Y tomorrow so I will be working out this time as well (more for mental sanity than physical results...I need an outlet right now).

I will be loading on Thanksgiving and Black Friday and starting my first postpartum round on Saturday! I am ready and excited!!!!

Potaty 11-19-2012 12:38 PM

I got on the scale this morning, facing reality after being wayyyyyy off plan for about 2.5 weeks. I was 211.0, up from 191. I have seen 191 a few times since having Austen but can't quite seem to stay on track long enough to get into the 180s. I am doing VLC/high fat for the next 3 days in an attempt to get rid of some of the carb bloat before loading.

I also decided to join the Y *next* Monday, instead of today. I want to be able to jump right in and make it a habit, and with this week being a holiday week full of obligations, this isn't the best week to start something.

Gracie514 11-19-2012 12:41 PM

Good luck Katy! Enjoy loading :yummy::yummy::yummy:

Samantha42 11-19-2012 09:37 PM

Hi, new journal!!! :hiya:

I love the feel of recommitment. You can do this! Maybe I'll stop being lazy and join you. :love: I would love to be 135 soon, too! I think that would be a good end goal for me. I'm already kinda close to 150 and can tell I need to lose like, at least 15 more after that to feel really good.

The Y sounds like it will be good for you and fun for the kids!

Potaty 11-20-2012 12:11 PM

Guess what I got in the mail today? A postcard from the Y waiving the joiner fee. See? It was meant to be that I waited!

Scale read 207.4 this morning, so lost almost 4 pounds!

Sam~What do you think finally "clicked" with you? We have known each other forever it seems and we both used to do what I'm doing now, i.e. spinning our wheels. I love that you are doing so well and would love to hear any insight you may have!

AsmallerME 11-20-2012 01:06 PM

I'm so glad you started a new journal. I think it's a sign that you're ready to put behind all the ups and downs and "finish strong."

Will you either post your hcg plans or email me. I've read on here about people following protocol and then others eating whatever. I'm just curious about what you plan to eat, etc. I've never done hcg so I'm a little clueless.

lovinglife50 11-20-2012 01:46 PM

Hey Sam - Yvonne here - so how is Dr. Samantha these days - sounds like you are doing phenomenally, is it right 150?
I am in the 150's also but really need to get down to 135 and fast. Back on GS plan - so what have you been doing. AND any ideas about cholesterol. I only eat fish or fowl, and never have cheese or eggs. Started using coconut oil as I thought that was good and also red yeast rice which really helped me before, however I am still up there around
250 - any suggestions?

Samantha42 11-21-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potaty (Post 16090441)
Guess what I got in the mail today? A postcard from the Y waiving the joiner fee. See? It was meant to be that I waited!

Scale read 207.4 this morning, so lost almost 4 pounds!

Sam~What do you think finally "clicked" with you? We have known each other forever it seems and we both used to do what I'm doing now, i.e. spinning our wheels. I love that you are doing so well and would love to hear any insight you may have!

I wish I had some amazing insight, my dear, but to be honest, at times I'm still in shock at how easy this has suddenly become for me. I struggled so long and so hard in a way that was disheartening, and now it's like, nothing I do makes me gain weight.

I think it's multiple things... and I'll try to explain it while still maintaining that I am a firm believer in lowcarb and what I've done might not work for most people.

About 2 years ago I started taking metformin regularly. I don't really need it, per se, based on standard insurance-covered diseases, but I once had a fasting blood sugar of 101 so convinced some doctor I needed it. I was checked out for PCOS and didn't have it, but my symptoms were consistent with it (felt terrible and had awful PMS when ate highcarb and no symptoms when lowcarb). So, an ob/gyn prescribed it for me. That seemed to curb binge eating a lot, so that helped. I felt like I was in control of what I ate again, but the change was gradual and I only noticed it after a few months when suddenly I could eat carbier meals and feel full.

Then, and this is terrible to say on a LC forum, but I stopped restricting myself. I was going many days eating lowcarb and super strict, losing 5 or 8 pounds in a few days, and then as soon as I upped my carbs at all I would fall of the wagon and never be able to get back on. I would also then eat way too much food, never feeling satiated. I started eating copious amounts of fruit about a year and a half ago. At first I would eat excessive amounts, say, 3 apples and 2 plums in a sitting, as it had become my new carby craving.

My carb level dramatically increased and I am rarely in ketosis now, but after a few weeks/months I got over the binge eating/cravings and became able to tolerate carbs again. I started to feel and eat like a person with normal insulin function would. I could literally eat a sandwich now with a sweet potato and be full for 8-12 hours, as opposed to the ravenous, binge-y way I used to be. Not that I should be eating 100 carbs in a meal... but I could if I wanted to, which has changed a lot for me.

So now the combination of less binge eating and more carb tolerance means I can eat moderate carb and my appetite is never out of control. I also still don't eat breakfast. I lose weight better and don't eat as much in a day when I don't. I am so productive from 7am until lunch time, just drinking my unsweetened iced tea and I have good energy and focus. Then with my crazy work schedule sometimes, every once in a while, I only eat once or twice a day and then I start to lose weight again. I am mostly maintaining my weight with moderate carbs, then losing weight in spurts when I eat lower carb, miss meals, or just eat low calorie. I get in ketosis more from eating less in a day or missing meals than from eating lowcarb.

Because of this, I could go a week or two completely not eating lowcarb, eating whatever I want in moderation, and not gain a single pound. I literally never look at a food and say I can't have it anymore. I naturally gravitate toward healthier foods, and eat a ton of vegetables and fruits a day. I'm more moderate carb, medium fat, medium protein at this point. The focus of my meals aren't always a protein. I don't eat much dairy. I eat nuts, 85% dark chocolate, a lot of avocados, tomatoes and all fruits. I eat probably 2-3 grain servings a day (like a half sandwich or bagel, and a granola bar or something). And I always feel in control. I'm going to recheck my labs (cholesterol, blood sugar) soon to see how it has affected me. If anything has changed in a negative way, I'll probably cut out the grains and some fruit and be more paleo.

I'm not sure if that is helpful at all, but somehow I feel like a completely different person. I also started dating the most wonderful man last December and am very happy, living in sunny California and in love. :love: Perhaps that has also helped, in case there was some component of depression or sun issues that were making me unbalanced when it came to eating.

All I know, Katy, is that even though you flutter between plan and miserably off plan, you are metabolically built to lose weight, and lose it quickly. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone who can eat on plan for a few days and lose, like, 10 pounds. I know with just a few days on plan you will feel like a better, stronger person, whatever plan it is that you decide to follow. And I know in a few weeks and months you will rapidly lose weight, to the point that you could probably surpass me and be at goal before I am. Not even joking! You're amazing like that! I believe you still have breastfeeding on your side, and you know what to do and how to do it. I also know it's not just a matter of willpower, if it was, all of us would be thin by now. There is something metabolic that makes us crave, or binge, or fall off plan. If you can figure out how to control that for you personally (ie higher carb, more fruit, or with exercise, higher fat, lower fat, hcg etc, etc) you will do great. I know that's not an easy task. But you got this! You deserve to be healthy and beautiful and happy.

Hope this helps! And Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Hope you have a wonderful day. :heart:

Samantha42 11-21-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinglife50 (Post 16090605)
Hey Sam - Yvonne here - so how is Dr. Samantha these days - sounds like you are doing phenomenally, is it right 150?
I am in the 150's also but really need to get down to 135 and fast. Back on GS plan - so what have you been doing. AND any ideas about cholesterol. I only eat fish or fowl, and never have cheese or eggs. Started using coconut oil as I thought that was good and also red yeast rice which really helped me before, however I am still up there around
250 - any suggestions?

Oh, Yvonne!!!!!! How are you!!!? I still see you pop-up every now and again with facebook notices. How have you been? Is your cholesterol super high? I don't think cutting back eggs will make a difference... what is your carb intake? What else is going on with you???

Sorry, Katy for the threadjack!!! Wish you all a happy thanksgiving!

Potaty 11-21-2012 08:13 PM

Sam~You are amazing! I am so happy for you, not only for your weight loss but for being so in love too! (I know you are going to marry him, but do you have any specific plans yet?) I remember back when we used to email on a regular basis and you have just come full circle! Thank you for your insight and encouragement, I know you are right, I can do this and I can probably do it pretty quickly too. I can be an extremely motivated person but I can also be just a mess (obviously). I feel like I am 100% ready to commit and get this done...there is something about being done having babies and turning 35 in May, if not now, then when? This is MY time and I don't want to live the rest of my life waking up every.single.morning not liking how I feel or look. Some days I wake up feeling like I'm 80 from the inflammation in my body.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the hormonal component. When I eat excessive carbs, I can feel my ovaries ache for a few days. The insulin surge makes me pissy and unbalanced mentally and I am so over it. I was also tested for PCOS and they said I didn't have it, but like you, I definitely have some of the symptoms. I was on Met for a few years but stopped taking it when I was first successful with hcg. The sunshine/vitamin D point is also interesting to me. We have been living in a dark apartment for a year and half now with no real yard to play with the kids in. I randomly will take liquid vitamin D3 and I also just ordered some expensive fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend to help with the vitamin D deficiency. I am excited to feel better!

They way you are describing how you eat sounds a bit like intermittent fasting and that is how I intend to eat once I hit goal, very much like a JUDDD rotation of healthy foods and removing the idea in my head that certain foods (within reason) are "bad" and other foods are "good." I want to choose my foods based on health and how they make me feel. I don't want to feel like eating a banana is a no-no for the rest of my life!

I have rambled enough but I want to wish you a Happy Turkey Day and thank you again for always encouraging and supporting me!

Potaty 11-21-2012 08:28 PM

Amber~I'm so glad you're back! I plan on journaling my whole experience, menu included!

flutterbyu 11-23-2012 12:29 PM

Cheering you on Katy! You are SO gonna do this!

Potaty 11-23-2012 08:09 PM

Thanks, Andrea! I *am* gonna do this and I'm so excited! I almost feel like Jesse Spano on pills, lol!

Loading is complete! I have not weighed since a few days ago so I really have no idea what tomorrow will hold. I will do measurements and before pics and I will post the differences after my first round is done, just before Christmas. I feel a sore throat coming on so my plan is to do a lot of P2 soups in the next few days.

Potaty 11-24-2012 07:36 AM

here I go!

Day 1: 212.4

Potaty 11-25-2012 06:56 PM

Well, I feel like a complete loser for having to come in here and admit this, but (big shock) after I posted my starting weight, me and my youngest started coming down with the crud. The problem lies in that I had not gone to the store to stock up on my hcg foods yet or I still would have been able to start. My DH was gone all day on Saturday so he couldn't stay home with the kids while I ran to the store. Anyways, I didn't continue to seriously load, I did try to keep high fat so the first few days don't totally suck, but I am 100% ready to go for tomorrow. I have several days worth of meat measured out in baggies so there will be no more excuses, I promise any of you reading and most importantly, I promise myself. My goal for this round is to lose 20-25 lbs. I have 21 days scheduled for it, but may go a bit longer if my losses are going well and I am feeling strong.

The plan was the join the Y tomorrow but with us still feeling sick that is going to have to wait too. My postcard that waives the joiner fee expires Dec 10th so I have some time! I am hoping I can join end of the week or next week.

Potaty 11-26-2012 06:53 AM

My weight held steady so I guess all I lost was 2 days, lol.

Potaty 11-26-2012 02:04 PM

I am dying. I am so tired!!! I don't know if it's the head cold/sinus crap or the diet or both! I dozed off in the recliner with Austen for about 10 minutes and that seems to have helped a little. We are both miserable. Or, and this just now dawned on me, probably lack of coffee!!! Oh, it all makes sense now. I was drinking 6 cups of coffee per day. Ouch.

It's 4pm and I've eaten exactly half of my food. I'm not hungry in the least and I am freezing!!!!

Potaty 11-26-2012 06:41 PM

Day one is just about done! I have the headache from hell, am freezing cold, not hungry at all, so all in all, just another day in P2! :laugh:

Today's menu:
Dosed at 830am, 230pm, 630pm
Lunch @ 12: round steak cooked with onion, s&p, bay leaf, water but cooked down so it wasn't a soup, grissini
Snack @330: honeycrisp apple
Snack @6: grissini
Dinner@7: Atkins shake (Robin of WLA suggested using Premier Protein shakes as a protein if desired....Atkins is what I had on hand. I think I like the Premier ones better but I need to use up the Atkins ones first).

I didn't have my 2nd veggie and I think I will do another apple or maybe 1/2 a grapefruit around 9.

I also had a couple mugs of unsweetened herbal tea (vanilla chai ginger) that I think will be a good coffee replacement for me. It helped warm me up and it was nice to have something hot to drink.

I still have not done measurements or pics, I really need to do those tomorrow before I start losing too much! haha

Gracie514 11-27-2012 05:38 AM

:hiya: Have a great P2 day!!!

Potaty 11-27-2012 06:17 AM

Day 2: 209.2

Thanks, Gracie!

I ended up really hungry by bedtime last night and woke up a few times hungry. That's a first for me. This morning I'm not hungry so I will just dose and go about my day! My inflammation is down just slightly, I seemed to get out of bed with less pain.

flutterbyu 11-27-2012 10:58 AM

Way to go Katy!! Inflammation was the first thing I noticed to go. I feel SO much better already! KUTGW!!!

AsmallerME 11-27-2012 01:46 PM

Ditto everything Sam said about you being a super-hero with weight loss and your body doing great when in the groove! I know you'll be at your goal for your birthday!! :hugs:

WTG on day 1. What is grissini? What are the parameters for eating on hgc? Do you just pick from a list or do you need to eat a certain amount of protein, fruit, etc.?

Potaty 11-27-2012 02:46 PM

:laugh: Thanks, Amber. I will wait to adorn my cape until I make it through this round successfully! :)

HCG is a 500 calorie diet of specific foods. You eat the low cal, low carb, low fat diet for at least 21 days while taking hcg. The hcg keeps your leptin levels high which keeps you from being hungry. On average, women lose .5 lbs per day and men lose 1 pound per day. I use the homeopathic version of hcg but you can get prescription too.

I am really hoping to lose 20-25 lbs. this round, I'd love to bust through that 191 brick wall but that might be a bit lofty for my goal. We'll see!

Potaty 11-27-2012 05:58 PM

I am hungry again tonight! Ugh. I didn't eat any veggies today and all I have are celery and pickles to choose from. I might eat a couple pickles later if it doesn't go away soon.

Day 2 menu:
Dosed @ 830, 330, 715
(I think I am waiting too long between 1st and 2nd doses and that might be causing my night hunger, will push them closer together tomorrow)
11am: Americano with splash of milk
noon: grissini
1pm: Chicken breast
2pm: apple
5pm: grissini
6pm: chicken breast
745pm: apple

Amber~a grissini is a long, skinny breadstick. You can use melba toast instead but grissini is what I have in the house.

Samantha42 11-27-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potaty (Post 16093541)
Sam~You are amazing! I am so happy for you, not only for your weight loss but for being so in love too! (I know you are going to marry him, but do you have any specific plans yet?) I remember back when we used to email on a regular basis and you have just come full circle! Thank you for your insight and encouragement, I know you are right, I can do this and I can probably do it pretty quickly too. I can be an extremely motivated person but I can also be just a mess (obviously). I feel like I am 100% ready to commit and get this done...there is something about being done having babies and turning 35 in May, if not now, then when? This is MY time and I don't want to live the rest of my life waking up every.single.morning not liking how I feel or look. Some days I wake up feeling like I'm 80 from the inflammation in my body.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the hormonal component. When I eat excessive carbs, I can feel my ovaries ache for a few days. The insulin surge makes me pissy and unbalanced mentally and I am so over it. I was also tested for PCOS and they said I didn't have it, but like you, I definitely have some of the symptoms. I was on Met for a few years but stopped taking it when I was first successful with hcg. The sunshine/vitamin D point is also interesting to me. We have been living in a dark apartment for a year and half now with no real yard to play with the kids in. I randomly will take liquid vitamin D3 and I also just ordered some expensive fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend to help with the vitamin D deficiency. I am excited to feel better!

They way you are describing how you eat sounds a bit like intermittent fasting and that is how I intend to eat once I hit goal, very much like a JUDDD rotation of healthy foods and removing the idea in my head that certain foods (within reason) are "bad" and other foods are "good." I want to choose my foods based on health and how they make me feel. I don't want to feel like eating a banana is a no-no for the rest of my life!

I have rambled enough but I want to wish you a Happy Turkey Day and thank you again for always encouraging and supporting me!

See! 3 lbs already and in only a day!!! You are a rockstar! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving, too!

Yeah, I guess I am kinda doing IF with moderate carbs. I feel like I could eat this way for the rest of my life, which is the first time I've really felt this way. I saw you post yesterday that you were starting and I decided to start with you. Well, I started today. Yesterday I ate pretty junky and didn't weigh in the morning. This morning I thought I'd be up like crazy after being away for 5 days eating anything and everything for Thanksgiving, but I was exactly 163. I can't believe how close I am to the 150's, and I want to do this with you!

I couldn't decide what plan to start and I'm afraid of being too restrictive and then rebounding. So I had a natural nut/protein bar for lunch with some melon. For dinner I had a bowel of chicken noodle soup and some pineapple. Yeah, I have no clue what plan that is, but writing it out looks like low calorie (800?), moderate everything??? I'm going to try and not do refined carbs (like breads, sweets) and see if I can lose well that way. We'll see. I also drank iced tea and a 1/2 cup of cranberry juice diluted in 1 liter of water diluted. :D I really don't know what plan I should be trying to follow!

All I know is that I would love love love to be close to the 140s for the new year. So I'm going to try and come here a lot and track your amazing progress to keep me going. :love:

Potaty 11-27-2012 08:34 PM

So I have some hurdles coming up this weekend that have me a little, okay a lot, worried. My in-laws 40th anniversary party (that we are co-hosting) on Saturday, and then my niece and nephew's joint birthday party on Sunday.

My SIL and I are going food shopping tomorrow for the anniversary party food. In our planning, I suggested serving some things that I know will be okay for me to eat but I have to make BROWNIES and they are my biggest weakness! In fact, I am thinking of changing my dessert contribution to something I don't like as much. We are doing a dessert bar with single serve desserts. Maybe I will do it the cheater way and get the mini cheesecake bites from Sam's tomorrow so I don't have to cook and be tempted. UGH. DH is smoking some pork for pulled pork sandwiches so I guess I will be going a bit rogue by subbing pork for my meat but there are worse things I could do. I am going to try to not bring attention to myself and fly under the radar with my eating.

And then the next day, I will have to resist finger foods, cake and ice cream. Oh the torture! LOL I will just have to stop by Starbucks and drink my coffee and try to not to tackle someone from across the room to get their plate.

Potaty 11-27-2012 08:38 PM

Yay, Sam! I bet you are at goal in no time! 140s for the new year is totally doable! Do you have any fun New Year's plans? I am old with kids so that's a big negative for me! :laugh:

Potaty 11-28-2012 05:33 AM

Day 3: 206.4

Gracie514 11-28-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potaty (Post 16103919)
Day 3: 206.4

Wow! 6 pounds after 2 days is FABULOUS!!! I tried the "Katy" diet yesterday :laugh: Actually it was the potato diet :rofl: I'm cracking myself up today!!! You'll be back in onederland in no time :jumpjoy:

Potaty 11-28-2012 07:45 AM

I'm a little slow this morning...at first I was sitting here trying to remember when I did a potato diet and then it hit me, The Potaty Diet! haha!

Interested to hear your results! Are you going to do this on your DDs for a while?