Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #1081
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks Laura!
DebbyL is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #1082
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/127 5'2"
WOE: moderation
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
Wondering why they wouldn't let you smile in passport pic ? Now i'm curious and have to go look at mine ! lol !

Bible studies at your house sounds great ! Will they be weekly ?
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1083
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
I may be crazy, but I see a smile in Debby's passport pic. It starts at the eyes. It's that happiness that just can't be suppressed. Don't you see it too?
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #1084
Blabbermouth!!!

I just wondered..... checked mine and I'm not smiling either ! lol !
Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #1085
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, I was smiling with my eyes they just want straight faces... hopefully that little bit of a smile isn't too much. I got it all signed & mailed off today. Makes me so nervous! So complicated, I worry that I missed something.
Yes Laura, we're planning weekly (Bible Study). Not sure who's coming yet, but gotta start somewhere. We used to have them weekly.
I just got back from yet another trip to town, to mail the passport app, pick up some groceries for DH (taking another hunting trip - Friday-Saturday). I got him a foot-long sandwich...that should cover it!
Pretty day here, was only 29 degrees this morning!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #1086
Big Yapper!

Going for a moose again? I hope he nabs one! Good luck, DH. (Forgot his name.)

Is this your first passport? Don't know if you need one to cross the USA or Mexico border cause I've never owned a passport but have walked across into Mexico. Never been to Canada, sorry to say. Someday I hope to!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #1087
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, its Canadian. I had to replace my US passport because it got damaged... but since I have to apply in person to get another one, I have to get a Canadian one to get down there! Might not bother with it, Canadian is good enough. Its for going into the states, works for Mexico too. If you cross in the regular part of Mexico you need it... but not if you cross into the Baha.

Yes, DH will continue to hunt until he gets our meat, or the season is over. Its hard for him to get time off, but so important. Especially since I am not supposed to eat grain-fed meat.

I'll answer your question about counseling here, so as not to hi-jack.
Yes, I owned a Diet Center franchise back in the 90's. (Yes, I had to lose wt. to qualify). I loved counseling, but I didn't like being in competition. When Jenny Craig came to town my business was struggling. I'd paid off the franchise, so just ended up shutting it down. Now neither franchise is in our town... I learned so much while running that business & got to know SO MANY people in our town! loved that. They always "watch me"... when my wt. goes up I can tell they're noticing. (course I notice they are too)... & when I lose it again... they notice too. I have quite the history of dieting... Good thing I enjoy the subject!
I like jumping from one thread to another!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #1088
Big Yapper!

Wow! Under surveillance in such a small part of the world. That must make you feel weird. Does it give you that extra edge to "walk the line"? You know, you can still do diet counseling if that is a passion of yours. My sister used to belong to Overeaters Anonymous and you could have a group like that that wouldn't cost money or be "a business." Just something that would help others. You don't need to follow another groups ideology or whatever, you can just do it your own way.

I hope DH is blessed with a very large, very fat moose this trip. That way he can stop hunting and you can put your energies into the rest of what needs doing for the winter. 29 degrees overnight is something that can't be ignored. How are you doing on firewood and stuff?

Didn't you say you ordered more cross country skis or something? I love when you ski and tell about your days out in the white wilderness. And I LOVE the pics you post of the mountains in winter. I'm not rushing the season, mind you. I am so totally happy with the weather just the way it is. But I'm just talking.

I guess one day I'll need to go through the hassle of getting my own passport. It's expensive and time-consuming and requires patience. Strike one, two and three!

Goodnight. Sleep well, ladies.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #1089
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I love my job now. Enjoy hanging out here. That's enough.

Our winter wood is in & no, I haven't ordered any ski's yet. I'm hoping to catch the 'ski-swap' when it happens. Lots of times you can pick up some good deals there. I'm also already taking pictures of the mountain, as you probably noticed on fb. The snow is down into the "tree-line" already. And you can definitely feel it in the air, but it was sure beautiful today!

Am totally enjoying that spaghetti squash.

Good night
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #1090
Big Yapper!

Just came to wish you a great day. I have seen the FB pics. Lovely as always.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #1091
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Is there snow there already? Where do you live that there is already snow on the ground?
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #1092
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
Is there snow there already? Where do you live that there is already snow on the ground?
Hello green
I live in the center of British Columbia, Canada. The snow is only on the mountains right now, but it will be on the ground in the valleys this month (probably pretty soon).

Where are you?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #1093
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/161.6/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
As much as I love seeing snow on the mountains, I'm quite happy for it not to reach the ground nar me! Glad you've got your wood in for the winter!, I miss sitting by the fire while its cold outside!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #1094
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I think most people would agree with you!
But since I've been on the thyroid meds I've actually been able to enjoy winter & the cross-country skiing. DH wants to know where his wife went & who I am!
I've got to get back into "dressing for the cold"... easy to not want to walk now, because its cold, but its always refreshing & rejuvenating anyway! Its all in my head.

DH went hunting again this morning. He left a 5:30 am. I got up & set out his food & went back to bed... so glad I was able to go back to sleep, I was awake from 2-3:30 am for some reason.

I'm thinking the dairy products are messing with my system & Rosacea. I am really enjoying the cream in my coffee & Greek yogurt, but I may have to quit both & see if that makes the difference. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the Primal diet... hm, does that turn it into the Paleo diet?Just got a free Kindle book on that free today.

Best start moving my bod!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #1095
Big Yapper!

Where'd you get the free Kindle book on Paleo? I'd love to download it myself. I have a kindle but rarely ever read what I download. I lose interest in things the longer I have them and use them. Sad but true.

I hope DH gets what he's on the prowl for. Sorry the dairy is messing with you. My Mom has Rosacea too. She hates it. I would too! Have a lovely Saturday. I'm off to work soon.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #1096
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll fb it to you.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #1097
Major LCF Poster!

Debby...I live in Ohio. We get snow early here sometimes too. Usually the end of October, early November we atleast have one good snow.

I also have a bad thyroid!!! I am always confused about taking my hormones. Some days I am okay with it, then others I am like screw it, and I don't take it. I didn't start gaining weight until I started my hormones 8 years ago! It is hard to lose the weight, and it is frustrating to see that others lose it so quickly while it takes me months to lose the same amount. Right now I am in a good place with my hormones. I have taken them faithfully for atleast two months. But, now that I am clear headed I am afraid that I have done irreparable damage to myself. I forget things so easily. I am worried about alzheimers, and I am not even 40 yet I am only 38!! Seeing that you have lost your weight, and have a hypo thyroid is a big encouragement for me!!!!

I do have an appointment of Tuesday with my doctor to discuss with him about my meds and bloodwork. And, I am going to come clean with him and tell him about my struggle with taking the hormones. How sometimes I feel I am torn about whether it is helping me or not.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

Last edited by greengeeny; 10-05-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #1098
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeny View Post
Debby...I live in Ohio. We get snow early here sometimes too. Usually the end of October, early November we atleast have one good snow.

I also have a bad thyroid!!! I am always confused about taking my hormones. Some days I am okay with it, then others I am like screw it, and I don't take it. I didn't start gaining weight until I started my hormones 8 years ago! It is hard to lose the weight, and it is frustrating to see that others lose it so quickly while it takes me months to lose the same amount. Right now I am in a good place with my hormones. I have taken them faithfully for atleast two months. But, now that I am clear headed I am afraid that I have done irreparable damage to myself. I forget things so easily. I am worried about alzheimers, and I am not even 40 yet I am only 38!! Seeing that you have lost your weight, and have a hypo thyroid is a big encouragement for me!!!!

I do have an appointment of Tuesday with my doctor to discuss with him about my meds and bloodwork. And, I am going to come clean with him and tell him about my struggle with taking the hormones. How sometimes I feel I am torn about whether it is helping me or not.
So sorry to hear that Green. Are you taking synthetic? Many people do much better on Natural dessicated Thyroid, or Armour because it takes care of the T4 & T3. Have you done any research? Check out stopthethyroidmadness (google it). So much help there!
I have only known that I had this condition since May/2012. I hit the floor running, because I've always been into 'natural cures' & didn't want to be stuck taking meds forever. Its been quite the journey, sometimes I feel like I'm a lab chemist.
I also go to a naturopath who discovered my adrenals were "tanked" so I'm taking stuff for that, along with a very restricted diet (much like Paleo/Primal).
I also don't lose wt. very fast now, because of the thyroid. When you get hypothyroid your muscles change the way they use energy, so we have at least a 200 calorie a day disadvantage. We're also not supposed to get into "highly-aerobic" exercise, moderate is better (still break a sweat)! If you do the high stuff, you can't lose. I'm sure you've noticed how your muscles will "burn" sometimes, especially when you're "low" on your meds.
Anyway, at 1/2 lb a week, I was able to get to my goal. As discouraging as that sounds, like my DH always said "its going in the right direction" & he was right!
Personally, I discovered that I need to do 40 minutes a day of exercise (elliptical, walking, or skiing) to lose wt. I can get by on less to maintain, but now that I'm feeling good again (adrenals/thyroid) I feel "energized after I exercise, so I usually do it daily anyway. When I was sick, it made me feel worse & I forced myself to do that for 10 months.

I hope you get a chance to check out the info at stopthethyroidmaddness before you go see your Dr. Good luck!

(oops, wrote a book, obviously I like talking about this)!
Old 10-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #1099
Major LCF Poster!

Debby...I haven't done much research at all. I loved reading your book I am going to check out the website. It makes perfect sense that highly aerobic things don't really help me much. I feel like when I do "too much" it sets me back. I have been taking walks with my son in the evenings, if I am not working. I work in a restaurant, so I am constantly moving there!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #1100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Lisa
So glad you're checking out that site. Wow, working in a restaurant you would certainly be on your feet all the time. Are you the cook? waitress? Hope that's not a problem for you... snacking. I used to be a cook, and it could go either way, depending on where I was with dieting. Sounds like you do good with getting your exercise.

Well, this morning I woke up with pain in my hip socket. It feels like its out of joint. Hobbling around like someone who needs a hip replacement... & almost passed out when I first started walking on it. Took some non-asprin-asprin & Arnica. Its feeling better, but "off." All I can figure is that I curled up into too-tight of a ball. I "think" that walking will help, but am not sure... we'll see. (stayed home from church-didn't want to be a spectacle).

Oh, in spite of a painful hip, I'm down 1/4 lb. Also Rosacea seems calmer today & I had GY yesterday, but quit the cream after the first coffee. So, maybe I don't have to completely stop dairy, just the cream. Will still go without today.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #1101
Major LCF Poster!

Debby...I am a server. So, really I don't have time to snack while I am working. I also do all of the training, hiring, orientations, etc. My technical title is "Training Coordinator". But, I really only do that when they need me to. Right now we have more than enough people hired, so I just sort of redirect people if they aren't doing there best at work. I love serving! They keep asking me to go into management, but I really don't want to. I am not greedy about money, and feel I do fine right where I am at. I don't want the stress of managing. I want to enjoy my boys while they are still living at home

That sucks about the pain in your hip socket. I get pains sometimes too, and I don't know what to do about them. I tore my miniscus a few years back. Some days are good and fine, and then some days are horrible.

Congrats on teh weight loss For me, every single ounce counts. It is too hard for us to lose weight not to count all the little ounces!!

Enjoy the rest of your sunday evening. I am having dinner with my youngest son, my oldest just called and said he is eating at the girlfriends house. Then, relaxing and watching some boob tube lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #1102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's good Lisa, I wouldn't want the added stress either. Glad your job doesn't "tempt" you with food. Serving can be fun if you're a people person.

I took off on my walk this morning, thinking it would be a short one. But ended up doing the full thing, only slower. Hip is loosening up. Still hurts, but not as bad.

We're going to a potluck tonight at church. I'm eating before we leave. Its a thanksgiving potluck... next week is thanksgiving in Canada.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #1103
Blabbermouth!!!

Have a good time at church Debby. Glad your hip is feeling better !
Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1104
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Ditto!
Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #1105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Ditto!
Thanks friends!
It was a fun night. Lots of testimonies & love going 'round. Hip starts aching if I sit too long in one stretch, but responds well when I stand up. Not going to medicate it anymore if I can.

Raining almost all day here, seems like its doing that a lot everywhere!

Good night!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #1106
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/161.6/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Glad you had a good day at church! We're actually prayerfully considering leaving our church . We've been there for 5+ years and are really involved. Love the people, but the pastor has been going off course for a while now. He's into education (currently pursuing his phd) teaches a few classes at college, home schools his kids and is supposed to be our full time pastor He's been trying to take our church in a new direction - like all the mega churches- performance oriented, shallow messages, superficial interaction... Not how it was when we first got there - intimate, family oriented, Bible based messages. Sigh. We've been talking about it for a while and things are coming to a head now. I covet your prayers. It'll be hard.
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #1107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh that's too bad Julie, if it was our church, I would hope you could go talk to the pastor or a board member about your concerns. Let them know, and listen to their response. When people leave our church it is so hurtful when they just disappear. Then more hurtful to find out "why." I know, it seems stressful to do, but really these guys are so full of grace, they should handle it well (ours does) and maybe even be challenged by the Holy Spirit about what you say! God does use us to help our leaders who are our brothers in the Lord. I will definitely pray for you. I have felt the same way in the past, but never did it, the Lord always made the way... one such time the Lord spoke to me so clearly - "be part of the solution - not part of the problem" and I live by that in church life... course its part of my job to support the pastors.

My hip is way better today! I'm so thankful! PTL

Went shopping after work & put it all away (shopped for Thanksgiving); then I find that I have to work on a quote ASAP for DH... so my exercise got put off. Going to try & do some now, to add to the walking I did in the store. TTYL
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #1108
Big Yapper!

Great advice on Julie's Pastor, Debby. I said something similar but far less "inspired" on her journal a little bit ago.

I'm really glad your hip is feeling so much better. Hope it was just an odd thing that worked itself out.

Speaking of "raining all over", it's rained for two straight days here too but tomorrow is supposed to be much drier. It will be my last work day so I'll be thankful for a little less rain.

Be well, both of you.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #1109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, its fall! We're having a beautiful fall day today too. Sun is shining & its glorious!

We got invited out for dinner again... I'm battling eating so late (its at 6:30). I usually get done eating by 6 pm. But she's cooking something for me, so I really have to be a "good guest" & eat!
Hope you all have a good evening.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #1110
Big Yapper!

I hope so too! Enjoy.