Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #1021
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Day two of primal. Its going really well.
Yeah Cheryl, I know the creamer's not good but it tastes so good... I'm adjusting to the half & half creamer now & plan to try the straight cream next. The break-outs have stopped, so I guess it wasn't the dairy. Must of been something else.

Yep! Snow on the mountain... although it melted. Its still rather cool, I put my winter coat on to drive the quad for Molly's run... much more comfortable than yesterday!

I finally managed to do my full elliptical. But it was tough slugging... I'm just feeling so tired & lazy. I think its from having a late meeting last night.

Have a good evening!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #1022
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Winter coat !! I probably haven't worn one in years...except when we went on vacation for a few days last year

WTG on the elliptical !

Night Debby !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #1023
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! That's amazing Laura! I'm so glad that I outfitted myself last year with good, small-sized winter clothes. So I'm all set! I've gone years (when I was large) that I didn't do anything outside in the winter. That's when I didn't realize that I had hypothyroidism though. Couldn't stand the cold, & too tired to walk. My husband likes to say I'm a different person now.
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #1024
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Debby, glad your adjusting to the half and half and the break-outs are done. Surprising you wore the coat when on the quad. I love this time of year. I went to the staff meeting on Monday and opened up some windows. Everyone else was freezing and wearing lots of clothes so I had to go around and close them all again. I told them that I wait all year for this weather to come.

That's wonderful that you have all the little clothes you need for winter. What a great feeling that must be! WTG on the elliptical, too. I used to have one but it was so much harder to use than the ones at the gym. There must be some assist at work with the ones you plug in. Mine was manual and it was HARD. I traded it for the treadmill I now own (and don't use that, either.) But I'm about to start.

Laura, I never owned a coat after moving to TX, either. Well, I did own one but only wore it for a couple of weeks in total all year. I remember one Thanksgiving River Parade in San Antonio. Everyone was freezing. I'm guessing it was 50 but it felt like 30. Then when I moved to Las Vegas, all I had was a sweater.

Have a great day today, ladies. I'm going to the farm to be a leader in two lessons and hopefully to take some pics and video. Bbl.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #1025
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
I'm a rare coat wearer too! When we go to the mountains for snow once a year, or travel, I have used it, but not often. It's a cute one too!!

Glad you're doing primal!! It's not a huge change, especially from Atkins, but the fruit is nice. I'm trying to limit my dairy to just cream (heavy) in my coffee, and yogurt GY once a day. It's hard, as I love dairy and don't have any problems with it. I'm off to Trader Joes to get organic cream today!

Hope you're up for a nice walk out in that lovely cool weather! It's still 100 here, and it's getting old. But it'll end soon. I'm trying not to whine, Sept is hard, I'm conditioned to think it will be cooler by now (years on the east coast, I suppose). But it'll pass.

We're heading up to Page AZ to hike Antelope canyon the end of Oct. Can't wait! It'l be nice weather by then!

Have a great day!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #1026
Big Yapper!

Sounds awesome, Julie. (The hike) I wish you could go sooner and then go again in October. Once is definitely NOT enough. You've got me looking into Primal now. After the farm, I will read up on it. Jillian Michaels is all about "organic" stuff so that peaks my interest, too.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #1027
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess its not really a "coat" more like a jacket, Cheryl... this is it in the picture. Wearing last year with my insulated jeans. (this is Shelby).

Yes Julie, its really not much of a change for me. Dropped my oat bran & added fruit & dairy. My system is still adjusting to this & I'm hopeful it will be enough fiber - I may have to get a bit more creative with the fruits. I haven't bought a book yet, but found the site that goes into great detail on it. Hope you join us Cheryl, that would be so cool.
I'm not quite to the point of thinking the cool weather is "lovely" yet... still avoiding it... stoking the fire & working out on the elliptical inside!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #1028
Big Yapper!

Good old Shelby. RIP, girl. You're not digging the cool weather? Oh man! I love it. I've thought of maybe having a fire in the fire pit in our back yard and just wrapping a light blanket around my shoulders. It's a magical time of year for me. And I heard tonight is the Harvest Moon! Not sure what that means but it has something to do with harvest time and not anything to do with paganism.

I did look up Primal online today and I found an "in a nutshell" site and it was just what I needed. Short and to the point. I copied and pasted it into an email for myself for future reference. I will look into it a bit deeper maybe tomorrow.

Night, ladies. I'm pooped.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #1029
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cool Cheryl! I didn't know it was Harvest moon too! I did know it was fall equinox coming up. Thanks. I googled it & below is explanation of it.
In traditional skylore, the Harvest Moon is the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox, and depending on the year, the Harvest Moon can come anywhere from two weeks before to two weeks after the autumnal equinox. For us in the Northern Hemisphere, the 2013 autumnal equinox comes on September 22, so the September 19 full moon counts as the Northern Hemisphere’s Harvest Moon.

Glad you found a good site, maybe fb me the link too? I like in a nutshell! Surprisingly, I've found it to be quite satisfying & wt. has not nudged upwards from it. Course, I'm also doing the intermittent fasting at the same time. Which I saw was also recommended for primal.

Did my full 40 min. of elliptical & chores. Then took Molly for her quad run through the field. She's so fast... & just loves sprinting at full-blast through the field. I heard on "working dogs" that border collies are known to run 50 km @ hr... which Shelby was getting close to on "ice." Molly's not quite as excited about running fast with the van as Shelby was... she looks around more & slows down. But its still good. DH also threw the ball for her (with the new ball-slinger) for about 20 minutes... when they came in, he looked more tired than she did.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #1030
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today's day 4 of primal. I was down 1/2 lb this morning. And later my system cleaned out, so I'm happy that this is going to work without the bran. That's a new discovery for me.

Its my day off today, with not much on my plate to do... will catch up some bookwork, clean floors, maybe go for a walk-visit with my neighbor & the pooches.

Hope y'all are having good days!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #1031
Blabbermouth!!!

WTg on the loss ! Yippy ! Are you still eating any greek yogurt ? I need to read about Primal too I guess, since I LC and eat some fruit too...... maybe that's what I'm already doing ?

Have a great day off, raining here...
Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #1032
Big Yapper!

I'm sure your hubby WAS more tired than Molly was. I sent you the link on FB as you requested. Glad you dropped a half lb and cleaned out. As long as the feeling hits you when the time is right, no harm, no foul. (No pun intended!)

That was cool, what you found on the internet about the Harvest Moon. I love learning stuff about things we hear about but know so little of. I also love finding out how old time-tested expressions got started. I don't take much time to find out, but when the thought hits me, I want to delve deep into it.

For instance, what the heck is a "pig in a poke"? And I'd love to find out how "How are you?" "Fine; how are you?" got started, and then find a way to stop us from saying it.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1033
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Laura,
Yes, do look into it. You may be close... just no grains was the main change for me... adding fruit & dairy too. Yes, I'm eating Greek Yogurt daily. I gave some to dh for his baked potato last night, he'd never heard of it & thought it worked fine for sour cream, which is a great find for me. Whenever I buy sour cream I end up throwing most of it away, or feeding it to the dog. Don't eat it often enough.
That's funny Cheryl,
Yep, I love google for that. So much info at our fingertips. Although I think that last one might be a challenge!
Since I've never heard the expression... here's Wikipedia's take on it.
The idiom pig in a poke and sell a pup (or buy a pup) refer to a confidence trick originating in the Late Middle Ages, when meat was scarce, but cats and dogs (puppies) were not. The idiom pig in a poke can also simply refer to someone buying a low-quality pig in a bag because he or she did not carefully check what was in the bag.
Thanks for the link, I need to do some reading there yet. Just guessing at what I'm doing, although I put the %'s in my counter page.

I took Molly for a run with quad this morning. Neighbor was already out for the day, so I even rode up the main road a bit to the next driveway-road & gave here the extra long run... she did really well, obeying me, to wait & see if anyone was coming... she's sleeping now.
Finished my books, started the floors, need to vacuum yet, but Molly hates the vacuum, so I'll wait till she goes out again.

I need to cook more veggies too, Laura. And do my elliptical. I'm feeling more energetic now, must of been my system being out of sorts.

Enjoy your days!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #1034
Big Yapper!

That's too funny that you looked that up. I don't even know why that one popped into my mind when I was talking about old sayings. I'm going to write them down in the future, when they come to mind. I mean, I could write a small book and make money doing something like that. Just make it available on Kindle and have no costs for printing and publishing. Oops. I let the cat out of the bag.

I just gave Cissy a thorough brushing, using the needly one and then the one that looks like a rake. I thought she'd have tons of underfur that needed to get out but she's only just beginning to shed. Then I put her little Velcro muzzle on her and trimmed her nails. She did so well! I have her one small biscuit for each paw she let me do without fussing. That means she got four! Yea Cissy!

Have a great day.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #1035
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for Cissy, all spruced up!

Well, from 1 pm - 4 pm our power was out! It was so boring! I had plans to vacuum & cook up veggies. Barely had time for half my elliptical & fix dinner before DH needed to eat. Finished elliptical just now.

DH has a sore on his knee that looks like is starting to get infected. (same knee that got infected before). Had to soak it with hot salty wash-cloth & put anti-biotic cream before he left for a meeting tonight. (The board is having a 2 days of meetings-starting tonight).

I took Molly for two long quad-runs today...

I ate more greek yogurt today because I was out of eggs. Good thing I have something to sub! I'm going to have to get more ideas for breakfast... having an omelet is good, & greek yogurt works too, I guess I could just eat meat & veggies if I don't have either of those at hand. (I usually only shop once a week). Also enjoyed half an avocado tonight & half a fresh pear this morning.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #1036
Blabbermouth!!!

your food sounds good ! Have a good night !
Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #1037
Big Yapper!

Hydrogen Peroxide is great to clean out a superficial infection. Do you have any? Clean the wound really well but gently, then position his knee in such a way that the peroxide can pool up in it. Then watch it bubble and go to work. Then I'd do that a few more times and dry it with a sterile gauze, apply the Neosporin ointment or whatever you have for an antibiotic cream and wrap it with another sterile gauze. Do that a couple times a day until you see it is beginning to heal up.

Sorry. I went straight into "nurse mode" when I read that and couldn't read the rest of your post. Felt the need to swoop in and help. I hope you have peroxide. Night-night! Glad your power is back on.

Last edited by CherylB; 09-20-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #1038
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Hydrogen Peroxide is great to clean out a superficial infection. Do you have any? Clean the wound really well but gently, then position his knee in such a way that the peroxide can pool up in it. Then watch it bubble and go to work. Then I'd do that a few more times and dry it with a sterile gauze, apply the Neosporin ointment or whatever you have for an antibiotic cream and wrap it with another sterile gauze. Do that a couple times a day until you see it is beginning to heal up.
Sorry. I went straight into "nurse mode" when I read that and couldn't read the rest of your post. Felt the need to swoop in and help. I hope you have peroxide. Night-night! Glad your power is back on.
Thanks Cheryl, Don't apologize for going into nurse mode! I do that all the time & I'm not even a nurse... mommy-mode I guess
My SIL is a paramedic & he told me that peroxide actually kills tissue. Is that untrue? I stopped using it when he told me that, used to use it all the time! I'll have to do some online research on it... maybe its just Canadians that think that?? Or newer info?? You just took nursing though, not too many years ago, right?
Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #1039
Blabbermouth!!!

no we use it all the time in the ER to clean wounds . It is also AWESOME to remove blood from clothes or out of hair if you get a laceration on your head. It's amazing !

Sorry to butt in...... night
Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #1040
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
no we use it all the time in the ER to clean wounds . It is also AWESOME to remove blood from clothes or out of hair if you get a laceration on your head. It's amazing ! Sorry to butt in...... night
Thanks Laura! You saved me the time of looking it up. I'll definitely use it on him when he gets home. Two nurses word is better than 1 paramedic's in my book!
(not butting in)! I was asking for help, posting it.

I ordered the Primal book on amazon today, looking forward to reading it. I was tempted to get the kindle form, but really like having a book that I can book-mark & flip pages back & forth... got a good price on a used one in good shape.
Have a good sleep gals!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #1041
Big Yapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyL View Post
Thanks Laura! You saved me the time of looking it up. I'll definitely use it on him when he gets home. Two nurses word is better than 1 paramedic's in my book!
(not butting in)! I was asking for help, posting it.

I ordered the Primal book on amazon today, looking forward to reading it. I was tempted to get the kindle form, but really like having a book that I can book-mark & flip pages back & forth... got a good price on a used one in good shape.
Have a good sleep gals!
You got that right! Frankly, a little medical knowledge can be dangerous in the hands of others. Paramedics aren't nearly as trained as RN's are. Always back up what you're told by checking into things yourself. I'm glad you have some peroxide in the house and can give his wound a good cleansing.

Let the peroxide do the work. Just let it set there and bubble, then let it drain and add some more. Then clean it off with normal saline (if you have some) or just clean water and a sterile gauze (or the closest you can get to that.)

Night! I hope you enjoy the book. I agree about real books vs Kindles. And I hate how much they charge for kindle books. What a rip off!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #1042
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today was a quiet Sunday. The kiddo's were sleeping in today, too much going on this week, so we didn't get to take them to church Hope this doesn't become the new pattern.
We had a good service & then went out for lunch with friends. I ate eggs for breakfast & lunch today... that being the only acceptable thing on the menu. I made the mistake of ordering a "senior" portion & it wasn't much. Fruit salad came with it, but ended up being all melons...so DH got that (I don't like 'em).
Poor Molly was cooped up in the basement the whole time, so have taken her for 2 long runs. She's still got energy!
I've added fennel to my norm, its helping with regularity, for the time being. I have a feeling the dairy is just a bit "much" for me. GY (eating 1/2 - 1 cup @ day)& dairy creamers. I also only eat 1 fruit serving, so far... nervous about that.
Really looking forward to reading the book.
Thanks so much for your help, on the infection. The color toned-down considerably this morning. I do believe its going to be fine now.
Have a good evening!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #1043
Blabbermouth!!!

Sorry the kiddos didn't make it to church with y'all . Maybe they just had a rough week.

glad DH's knee is better ! That's great !

Sounds like you did good on your eating. I bought fennel after you posted about it, but I never remember to use it ! lol !

When are you due to get your book ? Hope it's soon
Old 09-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #1044
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, I was wondering if I posted about fennel seed before. I have the same problem, hard to remember to take it.
The book will probably take 2 wks to get here. Clearing customs & all. Will know better once the tracking takes effect.
Yes, I think they are enrolled in too many "extra-after-school activities" like most kids are now days... plus they stay up too late on week-ends... Mommy is a night-owl & likes to sleep in.
Thanks for stopping by!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #1045
Big Yapper!

Oh, I know how night-owl mommy feels. It would be rough if I had been a mommy. I'm so glad the peroxide helped to disinfect his wound. That stuff works wonders. I love to watch it bubble.

I'm surprised you don't like melons. I think they are yummy. Hate olives, though. Sorry the whole eating out thing was a bust. Never heard of senior portions. Good idea, though. If they have kid meals, why not senior meals?

I'm awake early today, thanks to Miss Cissy. But I'm hoping to get back to sleep in a little while and wake at the usual time. My day is just way too long if I get up and stay up at this time of day. If I were more productive, it would be perfect. But "lazy bones" is still in her lazy pattern.

I'm going to get my labs drawn on Thursday morning. We will see what my hormone levels are up to these days and maybe finally get those answers. My Dr thinks I might be on too much thyroid hormone, due to my heat intolerance. I thought weight would be dropping off of me if that were true and he said that wasn't necessarily the case.

Have a great day.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #1046
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning Monday!
Wt. down .25 more... course yesterday was a skimpy day, calorie wise. But this primal thing is going well so far. I'm going to add "fats" & proteins when I start building up my cals, I think. Also have to figure out how to do strength training when my wrist is still inflamed with tendonitis.

Yep Cheryl, dogs do know & get used to "time"... Molly stirs around at our usual getting up time on week-ends, but is so obedient that she waits out our sleep-ins (which are usually only an extra hour, if I'm lucky). Hope your day is full of "good things"!

Have a good one y'all!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #1047
Blabbermouth!!!

morning !

Wow Debby, you are continuing to lose well on Primal ! WTG ! Hope you both have a great Monday

Didn't realize your wrist was still hurting , hope it gets better soon
Old 09-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #1048
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes Laura, and enjoying more carbs too. Pretty cool. I'm keeping my calories fairly low, for now. Just over 1300 today, but I actually ate some Hubbard squash for dinner!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #1049
Big Yapper!

Look at those ears! Will she grow into them? Very cute little girl.

PS: What is Hubbard Squash?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #1050
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep! She does have the ears! I think the iphone camera & angle may have exaggerated them just a wee bit, but "my what large ears you have!"

Good morning! It was 32 degrees when we got up this morning! Brrr!
The cat came in while we were still up last night (first time since we got Molly)... but I scared him off, moving the gate so I could pet him. He'll probably try again in a day or two. What a chicken-kitty.

I'm finding the down-side of in 8/16 intermittent fasting (which I've been doing with primal), is that I don't get my vitamins early enough... going to have to figure this one out. I like that I don't get all "snacky" in the afternoons with it.

Have a great day!