Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #871
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Hang in there, Molly! You can recover from this, little one. Have a nice day, Deb.
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #872
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
The day with your family sounds wonderful Debby !
How is Miss Molly today ? Hope she's doing better .

Off and doing some laundry and relaxing. Busy busy week and I'm tired !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #873
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Thanks for your concern. MIL is doing fine. She was thankful yesterday that she has all her "marbles"... the nurse brought her someone else's meds! The physio will hopefully give her some more challenging exercises today. So far just moving her feet around. BIL arrives today, so that will keep her occupied (playing Canasta). He's also going to set up home-care for her if the need stays... I think he should anyway, so that its in motion when she does.

Molly's perked up quite a bit (wants to play, fetch, & chew on us), and has started "picking at food"... when I took her for a walk, I had to stop her from eating grass (yesterday); today from eating calf-dung. I'm still syringing the broth to her & she actually ate a "milk-bone" after our walk... so I'm hopeful!

Me... I've been nursing a pulled muscle in back/ribs, remembered arnica 2 days ago & picked some up from the HFS & it started working really well (can take a deep breath now). But this morning I bent over to get something & "click" out went my lower back so, I took a muscle relaxant (hate taking them) & I'm nursing that. Its doing pretty well, so going to keep at the icing, walking, stretching & praying. Who has time for this nonsense?

Today's a holiday in BC; BC Day. So we're enjoying the time at home. May go for a ride later. Hope y'all are getting the rest you need & exercise! Move it - or lose it!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #874
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh Man ! Sorry about your back ! I hate that when your back hurts it affects everything I have never heard of that med you are taking ~ hope it helps you. Take it easy ! You can ride with your back "out" ? Wow, that would hurt mine

Glad she's better. My dogs have ALWAYS eaten grass when they were nauseated. I don't know why but they seem to know it settles their stomach ?

Glad for your holiday and time off with DH. Mine's asleep.....he had an MRI of his neck this morning after he got off at 7am.

Will check in later and see how you are doing

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
Old 08-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #875
Big Yapper!

Debby, that sucks about your pulled muscle. (And now your lower back). Good grief! I'm glad Molly is coming around. I think dogs eat grass to settle their stomachs so maybe it would be good to let her eat some. Not the calf dung, though. That's great that your MIL is feeling better too. You'd be surprised how often the wrong meds get given to patients.

Enjoy your BC Day! I'm working today so I will get my exercise. Just drank down my first drink of Chia Seeds I've had in weeks. I need to start doing the things that were working for me about a month ago.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #876
Big Yapper!

Too funny, Laura. You posted while I was writing my post and we both mentioned the grass eating. How is your hubby's neck? I hope the MRI is good and whatever he's going through eases up quickly.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #877
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks girls, but grass actually makes them throw up... I looked it up yesterday. It won't hurt a healthy dog, But they will eat it when their stomachs are unsettled, because it helps them throw up... (if they eat it fast & not chew it). I had to buy her anti-nausea pills to make her stop throwing up, so for now, I won't let her eat grass. The calf-dung... vet says it won't hurt her, but I'm stopping her today (just in case). She needs to ingest food today. Everything stays down, as long as I don't let her eat the grass. She has eaten a bit more of the rice mixture too now.
Oh, Arnica is a homeopathic cure to speed healing of wounds, bruises, muscles & ligaments. Good thing to have on hand for almost any "owie"
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #878
Blabbermouth!!!

cool I will look for it next time I hit the Health Food store.... or maybe amazon has it ?

That's weird about the grass.....that was always what my dogs ate ....after they were sick and they never threw up anymore .......... ??
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #879
Big Yapper!

I was just googling the whole grass eating thing and even giving milk to dogs. I don't want to upset you Debby but I think you should stop giving her milk and see if she improves. It's the lactose that they can't digest.

My dog eats grass all the time but she doesn't vomit. Just reading about it online, they said that it stems back to when their ancestors were wild and eating their kill, they would eat the grass and plant material in their kill's stomach as well. It is just a theory but I don't stop her from eating grass unless she's eating matted chunks of it that came off the bottom of the landlady's riding mower. That is where I draw the line. It's just gross and there's probably who-knows-what growing in that older stuff that was stuck under the mower.

Other things you can't give dogs are chocolate, grapes, raisins (cause they're dried grapes) and I think there is a longer list but I can't recall them all. The chocolate and grapes/raisins can actually kill them.

Anyway, not trying to harp on you but just want you to consider that it could be the dairy that is upsetting her digestive system.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #880
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmhearts
Aww. Hope your doggy feels better.

Yay for walking even though your back hurts!
jmhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #881
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi,
No worries, thanks for putting your thinking caps on to help. She hasn't had milk since the first sick day (its known for giving some dogs diarrhea- which she doesn't have), so its not the milk. [BTW I've always given her milk in her food (1/4 cup because that's what they put in puppy chow), it doesn't make her sick]. We may never know what it was - may be the ear meds or bee-stings. The sickness seemed far more serious than a food that didn't agree with her.
Keeping her away from all the outdoor "goodies" has made her resort to eating the food I have out for her.

Thanks Cheryl, I have a list of bad foods in my doggie book... did you know broccoli is bad for dogs too!? Weird or what!?

Thanks JM. I am taking several short walks... loosens up the back. Speaking of which, I should get moving!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #882
Big Yapper!

Broccoli? I didn't know that. I did find out one time when I gave her (Cisco) some leftovers that I had cooked up that broccoli and her don't get along. She had the worst case of diarrhea I think she ever had. And it was all indoors. I found it when I woke the next day. She walks as she poops, so it is a trail of loose droppings. On carpet, it's really interesting.

I'm glad Molly's eating her food better now. She sure has had a run of bad luck, the poor gal. Oh crud! I just remembered my little darling has a Vet appointment tomorrow. I talked to them today and asked for the Vet to call me back and I didn't get a return call. Going tomorrow is just going to be a waste of time, unless they can do that cross-hatching procedure right then and there. I hate to waste my time and energy.

I hope you feel better after your walk, Debby.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #883
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cheryl,
I was just thinking about you (& Laura). Reading an article -
10 uses for chia seeds (comes up top on google). Interesting... plus more ideas in the responses.

Ewww!!! Funny I've never given broccoli to any of my dogs... I love broccoli so much, can't share it!

My walk turned into a quad ride to use up the energy Molly's got... then I did 15 minutes on the elliptical. Now she's all energetic again guess she's back!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #884
Big Yapper!

Wow! She must really be feeling better! Thank you, Lord. I'll see if I can find the chia seed article. I just soak them and drink them down. That's fine for me. I am not in the least bit looking for recipes or anything.

Have a good night, ladies. I think I'm calling it a day.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #885
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Molly's back to herself and more! Energy plus!
I got in my normal 40 minutes exercise today plus shopping. Feel good about that. Especially since my back is almost completely healed. I've had a hard time getting the full 40 minutes in since we got back from our vacation.

I really hate what back meds do to the scale when I take them. Always good for 3-4 lbs. I know I shouldn't take any at all, but suffering the bad back for 2 wks. is worse.

Hope you're having a good evening.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #886
Big Yapper!

Yea Molly! And WTG, Debby! What do you take for your back? I wish I had something more effective than buffered aspirin or motrin.

I just got word from the vet. Cissy's doing great and I can come get her between 2 and 3. (She's still really sleepy.) They didn't need to fully sedate her and they didn't do the cross-hatching! Just removed the ulceration with a sterile q-tip and now we continue with the same dog-gone meds twice a day for two more weeks and then go back for a check-up. They said she did so great. She just curled right up in the technician's lap and let them do what they needed to do. That's my girl!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #887
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cheryl,
Hope Cisco recovers quickly! I discovered with Shelby, that I could string her collar through the cone of shame to make it much easier to put on & off, when needed. You might try that if its put on with a string of gauze like ours was, much more comfortable. Shelby ran into things a lot too & then ended up able to run & jump & leap... against Dr's orders.

Arnica is what I'm taking... its a homeopathic "cure" for healing muscles & wounds, its the first time I've remembered to use it for my back! And I'm really impressed with how it is healing so fast.

I'm getting my "speed" back up on my walks, in spite of the heat. Took DH with me today, since he got off early. He doesn't enjoy walking that fast, or on the driveway... but it was still nice to have him with us.

Molly's energy is getting wild! I'm gonna have to get creative on how to wear her out!

Cooked up a bunch of broccoli & cabbage. Still gotta cook my mushrooms.
Our town lost a furniture store by fire this morning. Fortunately for the surrounding buildings, they were able to put it out. Clean-up in process... has put a damper on the Centennial Celebrations that were going on just one door down... needless to say, they moved the platform for the events down the street, away from the fire mess.
Guess we're going for a motorcycle ride tonight.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #888
Big Yapper!

Yeah, they put a stocking kind of thing around through the loops and that's how it's tied around her neck. I just slide it carefully on and off over her head, watching carefully to not hurt her eye. It's tight enough that I don't think she could get it off herself but I guess time will tell.

I thought you were taking something for the back pain that was making you go up a little on the scale. That's why I asked what you were taking. At least it's helping your discomfort! It's wonderful how you and Molly are getting back in the groove. I'll bet Cissy will have a rebound energy boost soon too. Just tonight when we went out for potty, I took her collar off cause she wouldn't walk around and she started doing more than just trotting. I had to keep an eye on her. I carried her down the stairs but she went back up them herself.

That's too bad about that store that burned down but thank God the other structures nearby were untouched. Really bad time for something like that to occur. 100 years? I didn't realize it was 100 years. Congratulations!

Hope you had a good ride. I'm off to bed. Must tell Cissy that the cone is going to be worn until I wake up tomorrow. I hope she doesn't bark off and on through the night to get the thing taken off.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #889
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah... I was taking Tylenol extra strength muscle relaxant. In Canada they sell it in drug stores, over the counter. In the states, you have to get a subscription for it.
Yes, Smithers is 100 yrs old. Young hey?
Hope you can keep Cisco slowed down enough to heal.
I didn't go for a ride, dh got called to go look at a job, so he rode there after dinner on the moto. I'm enjoying R & R.
We played "tug-a-war & keep-away" with Molly & her favorite sweat-shirt rag in the living room & it was a good work-out for her.

Have a good evening!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #890
Blabbermouth!!!

molly's back to normal ! She is going to wear YOU out !

So sorry about that fire. Fire is so scary to me 100 yrs is a great celebration !

That was good that you were able to get some rest and just play with Molly. WTG on cooking the veggies...... I am craving cabbage. I cook 1-2 heads every 2 weeks and I still don't get tired of it. Do you make yours with bacon and onions and butter ? Or boiled ? I love it both ways......

have a great night ! Er......morning
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #891
Big Yapper!

It's great to hear how Molly's doing. Tug-o-war is fun. Cissy never really was into that but she used to love when I'd roll up a "socky" into the shape of a donut. She'd play with that thing for a long time. She'd shake it so much that it would come unrolled! She's getting old now, right along with her mommy.

Laura, that bacon/cabbage idea sounds really nice! LC eating can be great with a little imagination and effort. When I was in the LC groove, I really did love it and it felt right. And I remember how little aches, pains and swelling I had on that WOE. Perhaps it is the way I should eat. When I did it, I was so strict about things. I wouldn't eat carrots. Period! I said that on a thread where others were talking about them and nobody seemed to think that carrots were verboten. If I decide to do it in the future, I'll do it more loosely.

Have a great day, ladies. Off to write a blurb on my journal.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #892
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi gals,

I'm at a loss for what to "do" at work... only 90 minutes left.

The cabbage is sauteed in a small amount of coconut oil. This time I added a few drops of my fermented soy sauce (allowed for thyroid). I never cook with bacon. Bought some precooked to eat occasionally, but keep forgetting. I'm so out of the habit of eating salt, its hard to remember.

I agree, LC is really the only way for me. Although mine isn't too low when I'm on maintenance. I was the same way about carrots before too. I still have a big issue with fruit.

Socks would be fun, for sure... but I have a dh who leaves his laying on the floor. so that would be a bad thing to teach her was ok to chew on. She really loves to chew on them when they're filled with feet & toes!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #893
Big Yapper!

I can't even imagine needing to remind myself to add salt. I salt just about everything. Not things that are already salty like tuna fish or bacon of course, but everything else. Why don't you cook bacon? I nuke mine on paper plates and it comes out perfectly every time. I just cut the slices in half so I can arrange them on the plate better and then in about 3 minutes, they're done and I just carefully remove the plates, fold and drain the grease into a receptacle. I put one plate over top to keep the splatters down.

That's cute about Molly chewing on socks when they are on your feet. I hope she doesn't chomp down too hard. Puppies don't have a clue when it's too much. I'm surprised you don't eat much fruit in maintenance. I've read that it has less of an impact on your insulin response if you add fat to it, like whipped cream or liquid whipping cream. Tis the season for fruit! I was digging peaches a few weeks ago. They were delightful.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #894
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes Cheryl it is very good that way ! I fry the bacon super crispy and then saute the onions then add the cabbage last.... Yummy !

Debby I didn't realize you don't eat bacon often. Guess I forgot

Cleaning out fridge and freezer - completely and washing them down - done now and they look so much better ! What a job !
Old 08-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #895
Big Yapper!

I'll have to try that cabbage/bacon thing sometime soon. WTG on the fridge/freezer cleaning. I need to do that, as well. I have something leaking from the freezer down into the refrigerator (water) and it pools up on the shelves and down in the veggie bins and underneath those and then it gets to the "flood stage" and starts leaking out on the floor, which is when I take action. I need to tell the landlady about it but will wait until closer to my picnic at the end of this month. Then everything will be pristine.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #896
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a full fridge next to a full freezer ~~ each is a separate piece that match ! DH bought them one day years ago. I'll take a pic. Can't believe how full they stay ~lol !!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #897
Blabbermouth!!!

sorry Debby....will post on my own page :0
Old 08-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #898
Big Yapper!

Just went and saw the pic. Nice!

Last edited by CherylB; 08-08-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #899
Blabbermouth!!!

How's Molly doing ? Still spunky ? Having coffee fixing to head outside and get a little sun before my shower...

How's MIL ? Doing better I hope !
hope you are having a great weekend !
Old 08-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #900
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi
Molly's doing fantastic. She got to play with her neighbor friend yesterday. Wore her out! But she sleeps heavy & then rebounds! So lots of playing & running, etc. She's eating well & not worrying as much over the bee-stings & ear... just occasionally.
I bought 101 Dog Tricks (kindle) yesterday. The groundwork is sit, lay down, stay, come... so you have to start there. She already sits & comes on command. We'd never taught her to lay down on command, except to got to bed... so I used their steps & taught it to her in 3 tries. She LOVES the learning game... I need to take time to do this, because she's keen on the challenge (& treats)! Today we'll do stay... for when I walk away (she already stays on her mat on command when we're eating).
I also got her to "heal" 2 days ago, without a leash... but its kind of silly to do that when you live on a farm . I just wanted to see if I could get her to do that.
MIL is progressing, but not as fast as they were hoping. They'll be keeping her in the rehab for an extra week. They need to get her to the point of getting on & off of the toilet.
I cooked bacon yesterday. It was actually cool enough to use the oven. I baked up 2 lbs & froze. (That's my way of cooking bacon). Then it goes on top of the toast or eggo when I toast them for dh's breakfast. I did enjoy a piece.
I'm really enjoying the cabbage also. Think I'll buy another one this week. Its really good browned.
We went to our friends for dinner last night. She was very considerate of me & made things I could eat! They're from Texas. I was telling her about you Laura, & she asked what part of Texas you are in? I forgot... She's from West Texas (I think).

I got my vacuuming, laundry, bathroom, & some scrubbing done already. Its hot here today.

Hope y'all are having a good Saturday!