Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #451
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Wow! It's so cool to hear you and Julie talking about your awareness of the holiday madness. I was feeling like I was just about alone in my stance on holidays. I was raised Catholic and my Father was a JW so it was quite an upbringing. We didn't know which end was up! So we all sought our own answers and all became born-again in our 20's. Neither of our parents "won" (as my Father later put it, thinking my Mother had won.) Very sad.

I think the simpler and the purer we keep our faith and our practices, the better off we are and the happier God is with our walk. I need to work on this in my own life. I'm one of those "hot or cold" types. I was on fire in 2011, but since then I've cooled way off. Very private reason but will share if you want to PM me. My love for Him is unwavering but my faith in those who teach (aka humans) is pretty much done-in.

Happy floor cleaning, Debby! I'm starting to feel that old Spring Cleaning spirit awaken in me. I will have to act on that before it's possible to open the windows, but opening the windows and feeling a breeze is something I look forward to so much. Seems those seasons are so short! We're either using heat or a/c the rest of the year.

Happy Resurrection weekend, ladies. May God touch each of us in a special and personal way as we thank Him for all He's done and continues to do for us.
CherylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.

My daughter shared this on facebook... Perfect!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #453
Big Yapper!

LOVE IT!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I was able to clean the office carpet today. Man! Was it ever dirty! Guess its been several years since it was cleaned. I think I figured out how to work the machine a little better also.

We went for a nice long ride in the sun again today. But when we got home, Shelby had tangled herself around my van tire. Discovered that one of the neighbors up the road was shooting rounds... it must of scared the dickens out of her. She was just as muddy from going under the car as she was from the run the other day. So, this time we put her in the downstairs shower & lead a hose with control-nozzle to it. What a wonderful alternative to the bath tub! Worked great! Then I tied her up next to the wood stove till she dried. Should of used more "dog-shampoo", but she's black & white again anyway!

Tried almonds & pumpkin seeds for my snack on the road today. Will see how that plays out on the scale.

I forgot to take my lunch-dose of isocort today. Eye twitching... and here I thought the eye-twitching was from having too much... guess I need to go visit the naturopath & get her advice.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #455
Big Yapper!

My eye twitches sometimes but I never tried to figure out why it happens. It always seems to be a stress response of some sort. And thankfully it doesn't persist for long. I'm glad you figured out a better way to bathe poor Shelby. She must have been so scared by all the gun shots and being alone out there. Young dogs seem to have a harder time with things like that.

That's so great that you are having all these nice rides together. I really haven't been outdoors that much the past few days but I have the farm this afternoon. I picked up a shift for the 21 year old girl who was having a celebration today with her family for Easter. It worked out great for both of us because I really need the money and had no plans.

So, happy Easter and have a lovely last day of March!! Goodbye, March! Hello April!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Resurrection day!
Hope you have a delightful time at the farm this afternoon. Is the weather improving there too? If so, that makes life a lot easier for the horses, I would think... they'll also be feeling pretty frisky!

Yes, I usually think its being on the computer too much (the twitching), but its been fairly consistent in showing up. Yesterday after I spent much of the morning doing carpets. I think its time for adrenal dose change, but may have been moving the wrong direction?! Oh well.

Have a blessed day Y'all!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #457
Big Yapper!

It's in the low 50's but super windy. It's been windy for over a week now. It takes the mildness out of the mild temps. It's like being robbed of yet more Springtime! I will take it cause it's the best I can get right now. It has been dry for a while so the mud situation will be vastly improved up there. I might go a little early to see if I can exercise some of them in the arena. Why not? I have all day!

Have a very blessed Resurrection Sunday!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #458
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Hope you both had a wonderful day ! Done with work ~~ yay !

Didn't get to see Shelby ;( Saw pics on fb of her though. Have a good evening !

Listening to Bible (audio) on my iphone last few days while driving to and from work ......really neat
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, sorry you're missing your Shelby. I didn't see any of my grandkids either, but I was happy about it... wanted to skip out on the whole "warped-Easter-slavery"... in other words, didn't want to put on a huge dinner & then have to hear about the Easter bunny... My preference for the week-end was to enjoy motorcycle riding in the beautiful sunny weather! Got clear up to 51 degrees today!

Today I had off to work on gathering my tax stuff together. Still don't know if I have it all together. But I think I should just go ahead & make the appointment.

Well, frustration made me extra hungry today... I ate on program, but feel very full right now!

Hope you had wonderful days!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #460
Big Yapper!

Taxes! Thank you for mentioning those. I am always one who waits until the last minute. Actually, my income was so low and since it's disability insurance, last year I didn't even need to file. But now that I'm working, I'll have to file next year. And if I don't file something this year, I'll be red-flagged for sure. Can't have that!

I wish you ladies could have had some quality time with your grand-babies, but Deb, it sounds like it was all for the best. Laura, I love those audio Bible things sometimes. Have you ever been on a website called, "biblegateway.com"? They don't sell food-related items there so it has to be okay to mention it. It's like an online concordance and you can look things up using a search, but you can also have certain parts of the Bible read allowed to you. Pretty nice!

Night, girls. I'm beat. I wrote on my journal so there is something over there for anyone who's interested. I'm glad I'm in bed and the day is done.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh good, I'm glad I alerted you. When are yours due? I also need to to file US too... thought it was already over-due there.

Yes that's a good one. Another one that we enjoy, is Our Daily Bread. It reads the devotionals to us over the iphone. Love his voice, much better reader than us. You can also listen to them online at their site.

Have a wonderful sleep!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #462
Big Yapper!

April 15th. I've never been to that website. I'll have to check it out! Getting a good reader is pretty challenging. I don't have an iphone or ipad. Will it read to me just on the computer? I like being read to. I did sleep well, once I drifted off. I don't know why I have such a hard time turning off my mind. I find that I'm always thinking about something. I have to get into the mindset that my day is done and tomorrow will take care of itself. Sufficient unto the day! When my head hits the pillow, I should just be focusing on relaxation and prayer. I will try and focus on those two things from now on and see if it shuts down all the other thoughts.

I hope you are having a good day, Debby. I need to get ready and head to my Dr's office to drop off a piece of medical equipment that should have been dropped off last Thursday. How I love to put things off. It's terrible! Why do today what can be done tomorrow?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #463
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks both of you I will look at each of those. I spend so much time driving, I would like to listen to them

Taxes.....ugh.... we mailed off $$$$ money this week. ! Only the 2nd time in 30 yrs we have ever owed and it was a bunch ;/ - DH got some extra money and it wasn't pre-taxed
Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #464
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi girls,

Hope you had a good day. I did. I'm going for higher fat today, as I've been getting "hungry" & don't like it. It helped a lot.

We enjoyed artichokes again tonight. Major treat for us (way up north).

Have a good evening!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #465
Blabbermouth!!!

Fresh artichokes ?? How did you cook them ? I've only had the ones in the jar.

nite.....
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Fresh artichokes ?? How did you cook them ? I've only had the ones in the jar.

nite.....
Ah! Poor you!
Pressure cooker cook, 15 minutes rocking... you need someone to show you how to eat them too!

Good morning all! Hope this day brings you lots of joy!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #467
Blabbermouth!!!

I watched them peel them on a show on food network, but I don't remember how...... then you dip them in butter or something ?

Might get a few. We do have a pressure cooker and I love veggies so much

Going to get groceries today..... let myself get low on everything. Ordered my CO and almond flour online yesterday .

Hope you get more sunshine today !
Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I watched them peel them on a show on food network, but I don't remember how...... then you dip them in butter or something ?

Might get a few. We do have a pressure cooker and I love veggies so much

Going to get groceries today..... let myself get low on everything. Ordered my CO and almond flour online yesterday .

Hope you get more sunshine today !
Ah, OK... you're set then! I cook the giant ones for 15 minutes of "rocking"

To eat.. take one on your plate (at dinner)... peel off one leaf at a time, hold sticker end, dunk bottom in melted butter, scrape bottom-half of inside of the leaf with teeth... go to next. till the leaves turn into "stickers"... then you scoop those stickers out- discard... the base is MORE of the yummy taste... dunk in butter (or mayo) & eat one bite at at time... now the stem is stronger, you may or may not enjoy it.. I eat DH's ... too strong for him.

Its very filling, so you don't need a very big meal to go with it. I eat protein with it... (3 oz.hamburger). I also like them with mayonnaise, or salad dressing. Last night I mixed olive oil & my ranch salad dressing, and it was very good. DH always likes butter best.

Almond flour sounds interesting.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #469
Blabbermouth!!!

How much do you pay for these ?? I just got home from the store ( we spent tons of money ) ~~ and they were $4.98 each. I didn't get one cause I wasn't sure..... is that a good price ? Thanks for all the info about how to eat them ! Sweet of ya !

The conveyor belt at HEB had about 5 FEET of produce when I checked out ! Haha ! We are having a huge SALAD for supper with the works !
Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, mine were $3.99 each. They're never much less way up here, but you should be able to get them for a lot less down there. I just looked up the season... mid-may in California. So that would be the time to buy them from there. Groceries sure are getting to be more & more. Probably from gas prices.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #471
Blabbermouth!!!

Everything is going up so much ..... we don't spend lots on other things, so I do splurge on things we like to eat But, week to week, things keep going up. Don't know when it will ever stop ;/
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #472
Big Yapper!

Jumping in here on cooking fresh artichokes. My late hubby taught me all I know. I can't say for how long to cook them but we just boiled then in a large pan of water. When we figured they were cooked enough, we took them out to drain. We let them cool a bit and then we'd peal off each leaf. The closer you get to the center, the tenderer they get. We would just take each leaf and dip them into melted butter, then eat the part at the inside end that was fleshy. The rest of the leaf is just fiborous and inedible.

To me, that stuff is just as delicious as lobster meat in butter. That may sound crazy, but I fell in love with artichokes back in the 90's cause of dearly departed hubster. And then as you spiral down to the inside spears and you get to the tender leafs, you can gobble up more than just the meaty end parts. Then the hearts. OMG! I need an artichoke.

Debby explained how to eat them perfectly. That seems like a very high price. For one Artichoke? Just cool your jets and bide your time. Keep an eye on the sale fliers and then "pounce." I don't thing they'd be difficult to grow, where you live. Plant some! Those are probably the tastiest you can get.

Night, ladies. Way past my bedtime.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #473
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Cheryl , glad it brought you some good memories too

Never checked to see if they will grow here, will check on that .
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #474
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree with your description of the taste Cheryl. Always been such a treat for us. They hold family memories for me too... growing up & then raising our kids. Now our son buys them for us, so I can cook them. His wife won't use a pressure cooker (scared)... and for some reason they take forever to cook at our altitude. So, we've got memories with grand-kiddo's too. Some don't like 'em yet... their loss!

Would they work on your Induction Cheryl?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Just curious what diet you follow Debby ? I know you are in maintenance, but there are lots of things you don't eat - from allergies only , or because of your WOE ?
Linda's recipes are the best
Hi Laura, moved your reply to my thread. Didn't want to high-jack...
I'm doing much like I was before. Low-clean-carb, protein & fat. I have been trying to figure out how to eat more clean carbs, and getting hungry lately. Although the hunger may just be my "tax-stuff" causing me frustration... hard to tell. I've been interested in working the Induction diet (or eat fat get thin) for a traveling diet. I think it might be easier to work than my present diet. Seriously thinking of dropping the naturopath's diet stuff for that one during travel (would mean adding dairy, eggs, & even try bacon).
I may try it today, see if I can kill that afternoon hunger...
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #476
Blabbermouth!!!

sounds like a good idea . Do you know where y'all want to go ? Travel sounds fun !
Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
sounds like a good idea . Do you know where y'all want to go ? Travel sounds fun !
Hi Laura,
I want to go see all our family members. Which will be from BC-Washington-Oregon-Arizona-Utah. Of course it would be on the motorcycle. I really miss everyone.
Well, I changed my percentages on my diet-tracking-site. And it looks like I'll easily hit the eat fat-lose wt. goals today. Feel pretty good, not going to be keeping it too low in calories, but I'm not worried about that, might as well test it to see how it works as advised... I think I wouldn't mind taking off another few lbs. too, but mostly just want to get back to no hunger.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #478
Big Yapper!

Sorry I've been MIA. Been so many threads I've been trying to get caught up on that I can't seem to visit each one every day. I got Julie's yesterday and yours today.

I think an artichoke would be fine. I'm not sure how many carbs those are but if I were to enjoy one on Induction, I'd go ahead and eat a whole one, then probably skip other veggies that day. I might also cut back on the number of mugs of coffee I had (the cream) and maybe even forgo cheese. I might not need to do all that, but it would give me a little peace of mind and then I could really enjoy the choke.

I have a pressure cooker that I've never used. It's a newer one so it's not the least bit heavy. How long did you say to cook them in that kind of cooker? I'll bet that is so much faster than a regular pot with a lid. Frankly, I think I will be scared the first and second time I pressure cook stuff, too.

I hear that pressure cooking ribs works well, and then finishing them off in the oven. Never tried it, though. (I'm talking the Country Ribs that tend to be tougher and have more meat on them.)

OMG! I almost lost the whole post. I was able to get back to it by clicking on the right arrow up at the top of the screen, near the address bar. Whew!

When do you plan to make that trip to see your family? Sounds like a Heavenly tour to me. I spoke with my second-cousin down in West Palm Beach FL today. It's been almost 6 months since we spoke last. Maybe longer. I was afraid she was gone, like my Mom's friend who died in March. I was so thankful when she picked up the phone. She's fine but her very compromised daughter who was 61 died last November. I can't imagine that kind of pain. They say that the worst pain is the loss of a child. My mother lost her second daughter when she was 40 years old. She says it was the worst pain of all.

Sorry. Too much sorrow to post on someone else's thread. Anyway, the reason I started talking about my cousin is because she is always wanting me to come and visit and I haven't been to FL to see her since January of '03. It's high time. I told her I'd really try and take 1.5 or 2 weeks off from work this Fall. I can't take the Florida summers. Suffocating!

Will close now before I almost lose it again. Laura! I'm almost certain the chokes would grow in TX. You might have to fertilize the soil.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Cheryl,
No problem, we're all seeing each other on all of our threads... works for me!

Yes, I see that a whole artichoke has 11 (?) carbs. compared with 1 in an oz of cream cheese... I'm enjoying eating differently... just had cream cheese on celery.

I cooked ours (2 in pot) 15 minutes rocking... yes, ribs are fast in there too. There are lots of recipes online to get the right instructions for pressure cooking. I've been using mine for probably 40 years.

Not sure when we can leave yet. Still have to hire a person to fill in for me at work & waiting to ask around, till my boss decides how much he wants them to actually do. Also need to get my taxes completed, so I can forget about them... that appointment is at the end of the month. Have a good lead on house-sitters that like dogs.

I can understand your relief with phoning your second cousin. We all live so far apart these days. Its so hard to keep up on everyone.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #480
Big Yapper!

... And she's much older than I am. She's my Father's cousin. She's getting close to 90. Pretty darn close but I'm not sure how close. I'm afraid to ask! I'm sure she wouldn't mind saying but I don't want to bring up a sore subject.

Cream cheese in celery is great! I always have to salt them. I just had a thought. I wonder how cream cheese would be stuffed into a rhubarb stalk?! I have a very healthy, 80 year old rhubarb plant here at my duplex and I just can't eat it the way we used to as kids (pealing the red skin off, salting and eating it. It makes my mouth water and my face pinch up just thinking of it.) I have to find a way to cook that up into a LC dish.

That's great that you have someone who might house-sit for you. Big load off your mind, I'll bet. I hope you can find a good temp-lady to do your job in your absence. How long do you expect your trip to take?