Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #361
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
How far is town for you Debby ? It's 20 miles to our nearest town.. that has anything. Our tiny town has a blinking light ( don't laugh ) and 2 convenience stores.;/

I bet the missionaries have wonderful stories ! That will be fun for you all
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #362
Big Yapper!

Gallery: CherylB
Sorry you're having trouble with mornings lately. It might be the med change, like you said. I hope it gets sorted out soon. Enjoy your house guests!
CherylB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #363
Big Yapper!

Too funny, Laura. At least you have a light!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: DebbyL
Stats: 168/130/128
WOE: Maintenance
Start Date: WtLoss->Sept11-Oct12->Maint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
How far is town for you Debby ? It's 20 miles to our nearest town.. that has anything. Our tiny town has a blinking light ( don't laugh ) and 2 convenience stores.;/
I bet the missionaries have wonderful stories ! That will be fun for you all
I'm 15 minutes from town... only 3 minutes from where I work, but it just takes up too much of my day to go to town. I'm actually not minding it near as much now that I don't need naps. When we moved here, the town only had one "light"... now it has 5 (I think)... still a good, small town. So is it 20 miles to your work too?
Yeah, the missionaries are the head organizers for Villages of Hope in Africa. They are "office" people, so we get along really well. DH is more of a hands-on person, so he's the odd-ball here... we'll enjoy our time. I'm going to see if they're interested in climbing that look-out with my neighbour & I. Not sure if they do stuff like that. We'll also pick their brains about short-term missions there. Maybe some day we can go over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
Sorry you're having trouble with mornings lately. It might be the med change, like you said. I hope it gets sorted out soon. Enjoy your house guests!
Thanks Cheryl,
Its not too bad... just keep sleeping in. I may just have to hop out of bed when the alarm goes off instead of cuddling.
Thanks, I will enjoy the guests. Need to figure out what to cook for them too. Can't remember what they like & don't like.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #365
Blabbermouth!!!

Our town is just a few hundred people. The closest town is where we go to grocery store, Walmart, CVS, etc....
We work 40 miles from home in opposite direction :O

We are halfway between Houston and Corpus Christi if that means anything to you.... not sure how familiar you are with Texas

Sounds like you will have a really nice visit. Missionaries ? Have you and your DH always wanted to do this ? Neat !
Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #366
Big Yapper!

Oh, you really are in the middle of nowhere, TX. I used to live in and around San Antonio (I'm sure I've said that before) and the drive to Corpus was pretty boring stuff. Flat, dry, little to feast your eyes on. I don't know much about Houston but I have a general idea of what it's like where you live. Have you always lived there?

Debby, that hike with your guests would be amazing for them to experience. And if you could someday make it to Africa with them, how wonderful would that be! I know you don't enjoy cooking, so how are you planning to go about all this entertaining? Do you own a crock pot? Are they meat and potato types or more vegetarian?

It's almost 2 am and I'm still awake (duh.) Expecting to pass out shortly. Been reading and being a bit introspective tonight. I'm on the verge of a change in direction and I know it's the right one for me. It's "high time", too.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning! Its Friday!!

We are interested in doing something "short-term" mission-wise. As I've looked into it though, they're getting more & more red-tape to weed out the undesirables that go over & cause more problems then they do help (understandable)... but don't want to jump through too many hoops.

Cute moment this morning, "Kaboodle" (my kitty) came into room we have the cat-door in, (I haven't seen him for weeks, he doesn't like Shelby). He was up high & I was petting/brushing him, Shelby got to sniff noses & lick Kaboodle in the face... then of course she did that bounce on paws thing... as to say "lets play (or run)"... to which Kaboodle did nothing. Happy moment for me, gives me hope that they can work out some kind of coexistence. Of course I told Shelby not to do that, so one step at a time, she'll learn (I hope)! She was a LOT calmer then last time they sniffed noses.

Have a great day!
DebbyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #368
Blabbermouth!!!

Debby
Sounds like kaboodle knows who's in charge now ! Him !! I love it when animals get along ......wish i had a doggie door for Allie. Does Shelby share the door with Kaboodle ??

I don't know why everything has so much red tape either. Yikes ! The way of the world I guess ;(

Cheryl, yep flat and boring land here...... DH thinks it's wonderful ~~ NOT !!!
I grew up in Houston, then we moved this way when I was a teenager - to a town with about 3000 people, but right on the water ( the town, not our house). Never expected to stay in this area, but DH grew up here and loves it and our boys loved growing up here, fishing,camping,hunting, riding 4wheelers,etc.......
I would love civilization to be CLOSER !

have a great day ladies ! Headed to Walmart

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #369
Big Yapper!

What a cute name for a kitty! I hope they can form an alliance.

I'm surprised to hear of the trouble with some missionaries. Can't imagine what kind of stuff they're doing that is making it necessary to weed through them. It would be a great experience and I hope you and DH can do that someday if you chose to go on a short trip.

Our snow storm is still going. We have about 5" of very heavy snow and it's changing over to sleet. Supposed to be ending around dinner time. I need to go out and move the trash cans so if and when the plow guy comes to do the driveway, he won't damage or bury the cans. Wish I had thought to do that yesterday.

Have a nice day, Debby.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #370
Big Yapper!

Laura, I used to love going to Padre Island when I was a Texan. I couldn't get over how much space a person had to themselves. In CT, during beach-going weather, you need to hunt for a space large enough to spread out your blanket or set up your beach umbrella and chairs. It's congested. I loved feeding the Laughing Gulls down there, too. And hunting for Sand Dollars! Texas is a lovely place.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #371
Blabbermouth!!!

Yep Cheryl, we love South Padre as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
What a cute name for a kitty! I hope they can form an alliance.
I'm surprised to hear of the trouble with some missionaries. Can't imagine what kind of stuff they're doing that is making it necessary to weed through them. It would be a great experience and I hope you and DH can do that someday if you chose to go on a short trip.
Our snow storm is still going. We have about 5" of very heavy snow and it's changing over to sleet. Supposed to be ending around dinner time. I need to go out and move the trash cans so if and when the plow guy comes to do the driveway, he won't damage or bury the cans. Wish I had thought to do that yesterday.
Have a nice day, Debby.
Thanks Cheryl, We had Kit & Kaboodle... sister & brother... but Kit disappeared last year.
Yeah, its not "missionaries" Cheryl, its people that go to "help them" - just like you probably have "helpers" at the farm that show up & you kind of wish they wouldn't.
I will "form a plan" for the company... so far, I've decided to do a spring cleaning of the entire house & car. I'll do some cooking in preparation for their stay. I have to make chili for a luncheon next week also, will start that tomorrow & freeze also. Don't worry, I can handle cooking for company. Good thing my energy level is up there! Just probably not going to get my "tax" project done.
Hope you can stay safe & warm through your storm!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby'snana View Post
Debby
Sounds like kaboodle knows who's in charge now ! Him !! I love it when animals get along ......wish i had a doggie door for Allie. Does Shelby share the door with Kaboodle ??
I don't know why everything has so much red tape either. Yikes ! The way of the world I guess ;(
Cheryl, yep flat and boring land here...... DH thinks it's wonderful ~~ NOT !!!
I grew up in Houston, then we moved this way when I was a teenager - to a town with about 3000 people, but right on the water ( the town, not our house). Never expected to stay in this area, but DH grew up here and loves it and our boys loved growing up here, fishing,camping,hunting, riding 4wheelers,etc.......
I would love civilization to be CLOSER !
have a great day ladies ! Headed to Walmart
Yeah, he's too old to break-in a "puppy"... but it looks like he's interested in becoming friends on his own terms... problem with Shelby though, she wants to maul all her playmates. No, the cat door is fortunately too small for Shelby! It goes into the hot tub room, which is a contained room, where I feed the cat & he usually sleeps.
We've toured through Texas 2-3 times, but we missed your stretch... although we did go through Houston & stayed in Nassau Bay with a MTN member. I loved & hated Texas. Many beautiful & interesting places ... the thing that didn't go so well with me...we were there in a heat wave on a motorcycle.
Its another beautiful day.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #373
Big Yapper!

I didn't know you had a hot tub, let alone a hot tub room! How nice!

I hear you loud and clear about the "helpers." Wow! Can't imagine touring through TX in the heat with no a/c to be had. I'd die, for sure. Were you wearing leathers, too? Yeesh!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I didn't know you had a hot tub, let alone a hot tub room! How nice!

I hear you loud and clear about the "helpers." Wow! Can't imagine touring through TX in the heat with no a/c to be had. I'd die, for sure. Were you wearing leathers, too? Yeesh!
Hmm... I answered this, must not have hit POST!

Yeah, hot tub needs new ozonator... have to haul water to fill it too. Our water has too much calcium in it, so its been empty all winter. Miss it.

DH wanted to see the National park that we were going by, it was so hot! And the motels were rare, & expensive with no a/c! The places where it cooled down I enjoyed it though.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #375
Blabbermouth!!!

Hot tub and hot tub room sounds nice Hope you can get it fixed soon. If we had one, I would be married to a prune ~~ cause my DH would never get out of it !! He LOVES them.

Next time you come to Texas come in the spring or fall ( ok that's only about 2 weeks of each ) ;/ It's nice then
Old 03-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

Yes, it was actually a "freak" heat-wave in May. 2009.

I'm not even sure I could stay in a hot tub now with my thyroid issues changing. I used to always be cold, now I don't like being too warm. Would be interesting. When we go to the pool with the kiddo's next week, I'll have to try it & see.

Have a great Saturday!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #377
Big Yapper!

When I owned mine, I mainly used it in the cooler or cold months, but I got tired of it and hardly ever went outside to get in it. I could only stay in it for about 15 minutes then I had to get out. But I loved starry nights and seeing the steam come up off the water. And of course, I was drinking wine or something so it was even more enjoyable.

My advice for next time you're in TX, don't go on the motorcycle! Envelope yourself in a/c instead. I know that's not how you take road trips, but TX is tough without a/c. Unless you're floating down a lovely river on an inner tube. Those were the days.

I have my fund raising tonight so I'll be back either late tonight or tomorrow to report. Have a great day and wish me luck. I have social anxiety big-time.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Be blessed Cheryl! Hope you have a wonderful time
Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #379
Big Yapper!

Thank you, babycakes.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #380
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes !! Floating the river in Texas is so much fun and so relaxing ..... we love it and Allie does too

I can only stay in a hot tub a few minutes too but it does feel great on my back . DH loves it so much .

A/C is a must !! Ours runs about 10 months out of the year !
Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #381
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marathon cleaning & cooking day. So tired! Which is a good for the time change I guess. Still have so much more to do, but made lots of progress.

Tomorrow's our 41st anniversary. Going out for dinner after church at the Mexican restaurant. Hope I can find something I can eat there.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #382
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, that's great you already got a good head start !

I usually order fajitas, fajita salad, or smothered chicken breast with veggies on top . yum yum.......Happy Anniversary !!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #383
Big Yapper!

41st Anniversary??? Yowser! That is quite an accomplishment. God must be in it or you would never have come this far!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #384
Blabbermouth!!!

Truly hope you and DH have a lovely Anniversary !
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #385
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks girls,
Tis amazing, since I only feel about that old! Must of been born into it!

Well, my "date" for "Mexican" didn't turn out that way... they were closed! Thought so, but ds said they were open. So, next choice... no parking places... then tried a place I haven't had very good luck in the past with... and sure enough, they messed up again... note to self... never again! Also, don't like "Angus". However, the place has a nice atmosphere & we enjoyed our "date." I even I wore a dress.

Catching up with my friends & then back to cleaning.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #386
Big Yapper!

Oh, too bad about all the trouble with your date. Will have to do a do-over soon! Wipe this day off the books and pretend it didn't happen. When you're together that many years, you can make your own rules. Have a good night.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #387
Blabbermouth!!!

WooHoo ! A dress ?? Glad you had a nice time. Sorry the mexican food didn't work out.....another time.

Can you come clean my house next ??
Old 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #388
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Uh.... NO!! Really don't enjoy house-cleaning! No problem with "normal" upkeep. Organizing, dishes, laundry... but dusting, floors & rugs Yuck! I'd really like to hire someone to come do that stuff for me.

Yeah, dh is saying we'll try again. I'm really looking forward to that now. Such is life.

Well, I have to say that switching to daylight savings time today didn't mess me up at all. I was quite concerned about it, since its been so hard to wake up in the mornings. I went to bed an hour early & got up at 7 am... pretty early for a Sunday, will have to get up at 6 am tomorrow. Pretty do-able.

Yep, I finally got to wear my wrap-around KNIT black dress. I felt really comfortable in it (once the panty-hose stopped slipping down).
Old 03-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #389
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Couldn't believe how "early" I got hungry for lunch... 11 am! Finally ate at 11:30... then just before 12 I realize my clock was still not changed over! (at least I didn't work an hour past quitting time like last year)!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #390
Blabbermouth!!!

no pics of your pretty dress ?

haha ! Yep, we haven't changed all of our clocks yet either, easy to fake yourself out
Good you didn't have to stay late