Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Gail's Weight Loss Journey

Hello Fellow Low-Carbers!
I need to lose 70 pounds and I've found that low-carb is the best way to go -- if I can stick with it! Back in 1998, I got down to 120 pounds/size 2 and maintained that weight up until 2004 when I started to yo-yo. I officially became plus sized in 2006 and now I really need to do something about it.

I am going to post my meals and daily activity. If anyone is so inclined, I would be very grateful to receive support, advice, encouragement -- and even just a little company! This is not an easy journey.

Here is what I have been eating since officially starting on Monday, Nov. 12:
Breakfast: coffee and water
Lunch: turkey breast and raw broccoli, water
Dinner: crustless quiche with steamed asparagus, water
Snack: herbal tea, sugar-free jello
Exercise: 5 mile walk

Tuesday, Nov. 13:
Lunch: turkey breast, caesar salad, water
Dinner: scrambled eggs, chicken sausage, yellow peppers, water
Snack: herbal tea, handful of peanuts
Exercise: 45 minutes on the elliptical

Wednesday, Nov. 14
Lunch: turkey breast, caesar salad, water
Dinner: plan to have goat cheese omlette, steamed asparagus, water
Snack: plan to have herbal tea and pumpkin seeds
Exercise: 5 mile walk

I really believe in low carb and would love company on this journey!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Looks like you are on your way to success ! You can do it !!!!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you so much, Susan! You look terrific by the way. Are you already at your goal weight? From your photo, you look amazing!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Gail!

I'm along on the journey with you!

Your meal plans and exercise is awesome.

I don't think I'm nearly as structured as you but I do have faith I can do this. I love the low hunger that comes with this woe.

Kutgw!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Scalestepper! Thank you so much! I am so glad you are here! I am in awe of your ongoing success and incredible wisdom.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

So far, so good. I bought some Ketostix last night and discovered that I am in Ketosis! Yay -- the Atkins Promised Land! Here is the menu/plan for today:

Lunch: turkey, salad greens with olive oil and lemon juice, water
Dinner: Grilled chicken and "zoodles," water
Snack: Herbal tea and handful of nuts

I found this great recipe on Low Carb Friends for "Zoodles," which is zucchini disguised as noodles. You essentially slice zucchini in very thin strips like noodles. First you saute mushrooms in butter, then add cream, parmesan cheese and then the zucchini "noodles." It looked delicious.

Tomorrow we are having an office party at lunch to celebrate Thanksgiving -- we are having a huge feast catered in. Hopefully, I can just stick to turkey and a safe vegetable! Everyone in my office is skinny -- I am the only overweight one (boo) - but hopefully that will change in time!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Thank you so much, Susan! You look terrific by the way. Are you already at your goal weight? From your photo, you look amazing!
Thanks Gail! Not where I want to be (149.8 today). Aiming for 145 or less. I was looking at an old photo from May 2011 of me swinging on an old fashioned tree swing and boy did I have alot of rolls around my stomach! Much better now - I'd like to get a photo on that swing again and compare the difference ! KUTGW!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, you are only five pounds from your goal -- you can do it! And be happy with the fact that right now you look thin and beautiful -- you really do. So, please be thrilled with your current accomplishment and KNOW that you will reach your ultimate goal with the natural grace and beauty that has always been a part of you.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misslatte
Stats: 5'11" - 260/~175
Hi Gail! Looks like you've got a plan in place and are ready to go! I hope the catered lunch goes well tomorrow.

Any fun plans for the weekend?
misslatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Miss Latte! Thank you for dropping in! Me and my fiance are going to spend the weekend getting ready for the Thanksgiving holiday and doing some early Christmas shopping. I want to take advantage of the pre-holiday sales. How about you? Do you have any good plans. It is getting cold here in Boston!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Susan, you are only five pounds from your goal -- you can do it! And be happy with the fact that right now you look thin and beautiful -- you really do. So, please be thrilled with your current accomplishment and KNOW that you will reach your ultimate goal with the natural grace and beauty that has always been a part of you.
You are the sweetest thing ! Your comments really made me feel good !
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

So today was a little tough. For our Thanksgiving lunch, we went to a great 4-star restaurant that is next door to my company. The turkey feast was gorgeous and the wine flowed -- but I just stuck to two pieces of turkey, a tiny bit of stuffing and green beans. Just had one bite of stuffing because I felt self-conscious. It was really tough staying away from the desserts -- namely because I ordered them -- a gorgeous carrot cake and assorted mini tarts from this gourmet bakery called Flour Bakery. The tarts were tiny and luscious -- Lemon Lust (fresh lemon curd and whipped cream), Fruit (gorgeous fresh berries, kiwi, mango on top of vanilla custard), chocolate mousse, triple nut/pecan pie and Snickers (milk chocolate over caramel, nougat, peanuts in a tiny pie shell, apple cinnamon, pumpkin spice, etc.

I took a deep breath and walked away.

Now I am home eating dinner: turkey burger in a low carb bun with 1 TBS of low carb ketchup, salad greens & tomato with olive oil and fresh lemon juice.

Sometimes this gets hard.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

So proud of you !!!! Pat yourself on the back for braving the feast and backing away from the desserts. I bet the display they made was gorgeous! You know.....presentation is everything....and because you stayed so strong, you are presenting yourself as the STRONG, GORGEOUS PERSON THAT YOU ARE!

Have a great weekend and continue to STAY STRONG!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, Susan! I needed to hear that.

I am planning to make a low carb feast today with my fiance, Tony (who is doing the diet with me in solidarity even though he doesn't really need to lose weight). I found some great recipes from the Barefoot Contessa (from the Food Network) for NY strip steak sandwiches (will use low carb rolls) and an eggplant gratin (like an eggplant parmagiana without the breading on the eggplant). I counted up the carbs to be about 17 for that meal so I will have to be good for the rest of the day.

I am normally not a big meat eater but now that I am eating a lot less in general, I find that I get really hungry by the middle of the day. Plus Tony likes steak so that seemed like a good idea. I get tons of catalogs from all these high-end food places like Dean & Deluca, Williams Sonoma, etc. I don't want to keep thinking of all the yummy things that I cannot eat!

Susan, I hope you are having a great weekend. Do you have anything fun planned?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Today was tough. I woke up exhausted and not feeling well -- as well as hungry for carb foods. I was so starving I had 1/2 of a low carb bagel from Carb Krunchers with butter -- about 7 carbs. Later I grilled chicked with low carb BBQ sauce, made ribs, caesar salad and greek salad for our "Sunday Funday" football extravaganza. I really wasn't in the mood for any of that food but I knew Tony would be so I'm glad I did it. I had some chicken, green salad and diet iced tea.

It is evening now and I am relaxing with one cocktail and a small handful of salted cashews. I need to stay strong but it sure is hard some days.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Today was tough. I woke up exhausted and not feeling well -- as well as hungry for carb foods. I was so starving I had 1/2 of a low carb bagel from Carb Krunchers with butter -- about 7 carbs. Later I grilled chicked with low carb BBQ sauce, made ribs, caesar salad and greek salad for our "Sunday Funday" football extravaganza. I really wasn't in the mood for any of that food but I knew Tony would be so I'm glad I did it. I had some chicken, green salad and diet iced tea.

It is evening now and I am relaxing with one cocktail and a small handful of salted cashews. I need to stay strong but it sure is hard some days.
I'm so sorry your day was difficult Gail, exhaustion doesn't help either. I'm glad you found a good way to work around the food, you did good staying strong.

I hope you have a good week and get to feeling better!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I think we need to give ourselves a little bit of carbs every now and then....I had a small plate of Tostitos with melted cheddar over them on Saturday evening and don't feel guilty at all (and a piece of toast on Sunday morning).
I am up a pound today, but I know it will go away in a few days! Stay Strong!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Tuesday everyone! Trying very hard to stay on the diet! I have a question for any experienced low carb dieters out there. If you test the Ketostix and they turn pink but not purple, does that still mean that you are in ketosis? Should I try harder to get the purple reading? I would really appreciate this. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Happy Tuesday to you also Gail!

I'm no expert on anything Atkins and I'm sure there's an answer in the forums but I've read where's there's color there's ketosis no matter if it's pink. I don't use them because I'm afraid I'd let them make me anxious like the scale does if there's a fluxuation. I do think it's awesome if you can use them. I guess I feel like if I eat program, this woe will work with or without them. I'm sorry if this is a ramble. Good luck, stay strong!

Atkins- 9/9/12 to 2/5/13 (247 to 228.6 -18.4lbs)
5:2/IF/lc -2/5/13 through today -38.4 lbs
Total loss to date - 56.8
---------------
Cathy
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetlady2k
Stats: 194/152.5/145 5ft 10
WOE: atkins and JUDDD now HCG
Start Date: June 28, 2012 R1 HCG 11/5/12 goal 165
Hi Gail! Your doing great! If the Keto sticks turn any color then you should still be in Ketosis. Sometimes the purple is dehydration so make sure you are drinking lot of water. Water also helps more than anything to flush out the fat that the low carbing causes you to burn.
sweetlady2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Shanan -- you rock! Thank you for that information as I was starting to get kind of down. By the way, I love how your spell your name. I have a good friend with the same name/spelling -- so pretty. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Are you super busy getting ready for the holiday?

I took a vacation day today to prepare. So right now, I am lazily watching "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" on On Demand while I prepare our dinner for tonight.

There is a wonderful website called Peace Love and Low Carb created a terrific lady named Kendra (a gorgeous woman who has lost 50 pounds on low carb). I found a great low carb marinade on her site www.peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot -- so we are having Asian Chicken stirfry with fresh green beans stir fried with ginger and garlic. Figure we need to eat super healthy tonight.

I am bringing plenty of low carb options to my sister's house for tomorrow (hot crab dip, fresh herb dip with veggies, spicy nut mix, shrimp cocktail and sides like creamed spinach and broussel sprouts) so I don't get tempted by stuffing, potatoes, bread, pie, cake, and all of the other goodies. Please pray for me!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweetlady2k
Stats: 194/152.5/145 5ft 10
WOE: atkins and JUDDD now HCG
Start Date: June 28, 2012 R1 HCG 11/5/12 goal 165
Lol well I didn't have much to do with that my Mom spelled it that way mostly it has just caused people to misspell my name my whole life lol!
I am at work today and I am not cooking, my boyfriend and daughter are going to his family's for Thanksgiving. My son is going with the xH so there wasn't much point in me cooking also on the HCG diet I am on I can't eat hardly anything! Have a great holidayy Gail!
sweetlady2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Shanan, I hope your Thanksgiving was fantastic. Thank you for your sage advice, common sense and great sense of humor.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Well, it is Sunday morning and I am still in Ketosis -- thank goodness! Tomorrow, I will hit the two week mark and hopefully I can keep right on going. Here is what I had to eat yesterday:
Breakfast: coffee with half and half
Lunch: sugar free iced tea (I had a hair appointment at noon so I could not eat plus I was not hungry -- thank you, Ketosis)
Dinner: turkey sandwich on a low-carb roll from Carb Krunchers, argula salad with olive oil and fresh lemon juice
Snack: handful of peanuts and almonds, glass of white wine

Right now, for breakfast I am nursing a cup of Dunkin Donuts Peppermint Mocha coffee. Thank goodness for flavored coffees -- they totally fufill the sweet craving I have in the morning. I crave salty/fatty stuff (french fries, chips) over sweets but always like something a little sweet in the AM. Today for our main meal, I am going to grill chicken breast kabobs and make a spicy Thai peanut sauce for dipping. We will have that with a nice salad, I think.

A few days ago, when I was really craving food from my favorite Italian restaurant, I made an easy, delicious low carb dish. I usually order this fabulous Chicken Romano dish at the restaurant -- which is chunks of chicken and homemade pasta in a delicious pink sauce. So I re-created it by sauteeing chicken, shallots, mushrooms and zucchini in olive oil and garlic and then added a low-sugar marinara sauce. Once that heated up, I added a splash of heavy cream to the mix. It was delicious and satisfied my craving.

So, we just have to be resourceful and find ways to stay on low carb while fulfilling our desire for good food. Fortunately for low carb dieters, there are so many great recipes out there -- from Linda Sue's website and KevinPa's on this forum to the celebrity chefs like Barefoot Contessa, Bobby Flay, etc. I've made a bunch of dishes from the Food Network chefs that were all low carb -- Bobby's cauliflower gratin, Barefoot Contessa's herb dip and beef tenderloin as well as Paula Dean's hot crab casserole.

I am really excited to stay on this plan and get the weight off once and for all.

I hope everyone has a great day today.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

You're doing AWESOME!!!! You got this girl!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, Susan! You are truly the best. I hope you have a great week. You must love going holiday shopping for the grandkids -- I bet that is a lot of fun!

I am gearing up for another week on low carb. Today is my two-week milestone -- 14 days on low carb -- and I feel pretty good. I have the kitchen stocked with turkey, chicken, argula, tomatoes, nuts, etc. The low carb Thai chicken satay I made yesterday was great -- and making the spicy peanut sauce was so easy. It was just natural peanut butter, Scrichana sauce, red curry paste, garlic, ginger, fresh lime juice, soy sauce and a splash of chicken broth.

I bought some CarbQuik baking mix to explore some other options. Has anyone used CarbQuik before?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

14 days in How is the scale treating you? Looks like your pantry is well stocked for success. Let me know how you like CarbQuik. I looked at it on-line, but never ordered any. Yes, I'm in love with the twins! They are so much fun at this age !
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I am down 7 pounds in 14 days. I cheated a bit last night so I am really mad at myself. Tony made dinner last night and I told him to make a low carb veggie stirfry and chicken satay -- which he did but he also added spring rolls to the mix. I ate a spring roll and I am mad at myself! Now it will take me another 2 days to get back into Ketosis. Boo!

Susan, how are you doing? Did the holidays impact your weight loss? You seem so disciplined. Your grandbabies are so beautiful from that lovely photo of yours -- they just look way too cute!

I will let you know about CarbQuik. I found this recipe for Oopsie Rolls, which are homebaked rolls that you can eat on Atkins induction. The recipe is just eggs, cream cheese and cream of tartar --and then you add seasonings depending upon whether you want them savory (garlic, dill or onion powder) or sweet (cinnamon, splenda, etc.)
Old 11-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

I've lost the same 5 pounds over and over ! Gotta keep going to make a real difference !!!