Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Merry Christmas Gail! Enjoy your time away! :-)
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Dianne and Velvet, thanks for stopping in and I hope of you had a wonderful Christmas holiday. Wishng all of us a really inspiring and successful new year too. Gosh, it is good to be home. We got home late last night and a wild storm had just hit Boston. Right now, this morning, the winds are still howling and a mix of snow, sleet and rain is blasting the area. I am going to brave the weather though because I really need a manicure and pedicure -- LOL! Nothing can keep me from beauty treatments -- which I know is deeply sad and terribly superficial.

Tony has today off and I really want to lounge around and watch TV with him -- as well as clean the house and put away gifts, which is really what I need to do. I can do that later. We got Omaha Steaks as a gift from his dad -- what a GREAT low carb gift as these steaks are fabulous. We are going to have the New York strip steaks in a steak sandwich (in a low carb roll) with a spicy mustard/mayo sauce and salad later. Getting back on track with low carb. I did not cheat too badly over the holidays -- I refused any and all desserts, candies and cookies. I did eat one roll on Christmas day and had some wine (bad dog) but the damage could have been alot worse. There was just a TON of high carb food around. I am really glad to be home.

Guys, please tell me how your holidays went! I want to know! xo xo xo
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Nah I do not think that the beauty treatmens are superficial. Going to a beauty salon is also a relaxing moment. You have nothing to do but sit and let someone work on you. Same with the hair dresser. That is like a small holliday in the middle of the week.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Gail, beauty treatments are not superficial if they make you feel great. Glad you got out of the house to get your mani pedi. It snowed in Dallas on Christmas day which was a nice change. We had a low key Christmas and went to eat Thai food with friends for Xmas dinner. My mom sent me 10 filets for X-mas from Omaha Steaks. Gotta love some meat for a gift.

I got an email on Friday to be in Miami for business the next afternoon. It was hard getting a flight but I got here in time to meet the yacht. We worked last night and I am now waiting to have a meeting tonight to talk about future work in London this spring. They just loaded a sports car onto the top deck of the yacht. The extremely wealthy have no boundaries! I hope to make a flight back for a New Years party tomorrow.

I hope you have a great new year celebration with Tony!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, wow -- what a fun adventure in Miami! I know you were working but it sounds very glamorous. I hope you make your flight back for the party today - and I also hope you get future work in London. You must work in a pretty exciting profession.

We used to live in Miami and we loved it. I really is quite a special place! I have only been to Dallas once for a business trip but it seemed very beautiful and modern. The shopping was to die for!

I've been cheating lately -- getting rid of the high carb food we got as gifts (I also gave away a ton of candy, cookies to our neighbors, manicurist, friends, Tony's co-workers, etc). We got this fresh gourmet pasta as a gift and ate it yesterday. It was good but not as good as I remember, if you know what I mean. We threw out the rest and I only had one portion. I really need to get back to the strict low carb (under 20 grams of carb) regime because my body does not feel good. I get stomach aches and headaches when I eat high carb now. Go figure. I guess that's progress!

Happy New Year to everyone -- I hope everyone has a fabulous time tonight!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Happy New Year GG, we're going to have a wonderful 2013!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Scalestepper! I really needed to hear that. Happy New Year to you too!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #218
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Happy New Year, Gail! I hope you are having a fantastic day. Thank you so much for your support this year, it has meant the world to me, and as I've followed your progress I've been so inspired! To 2013 - it's going to be great!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Happy new year! May it be a wonderfull and healty one!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
hey gail - where do you go in Maine? i have a cabin on a lake outside of Ellsworth
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Dairy Queen, Tony's dad lives in Bangor, his sister and her family live in Ellsworth and we have tons of friends in Bar Harbor -- so we go to the same general area where your cabin is located. What a lovely area! We especially love Ellsworth and Bar Harbor. It was freezing COLD up there over the holidays though but it is so unspoiled compared to Boston so I really like going there. The air is so clean and lovely and at night, you can see all of the stars in the sky. We love going there during the summer and fall. When do you typically go to your cabin?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Happy 2013 Gail ! Here's to reaching our goals during the upcoming year !!!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, Sannie and Susan -- Happy New Year to you guys too! Here are my New Year's resolutions --wish me luck on staying with them:

*Stay on low carb faithfully (under 20 grams of carbs per day)
*Be careful with legal treats (reduce amount of low carb breads and alcohol)
*Exercise 5 times per week
*Stay positive and have a good attitude
*Drink more water
*Don't let bad days at work or grumpy moods fool me into thinking I deserve a high carb treat
*Manage money more effectively
*Be more loving to Tony (that is the easiest one for me -- thank God!)
*Watch less TV and spend less time on social networks
*Volunteer more often
*Be more patient with people at work who usually drive me crazy
*Be less anxious (very tough for a card carrying Virgo)

Anyone else want to share their resolutions?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Those sound like great goals. Especially beeing more loving to Tom, that is super sweet!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #225
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, you have some great resolutions there. I don't really make resolutions but am trying to set some goals.

*I have signed up for a 5K race called the color run in the beginning of April so my goal is to be able to run most of it and walk the rest.
* To eat mindfully and stay LC when I travel. I failed a bit this last week so it is something I need to be more aware of how I eat when I am alone in a hotel room.
* Dig into closets and cabinets for things that I do not use, get them out of my house and give them to friends or donate. (I pulled out tons of clothes from the attic today to sort through this week.)

I did make it back home with an hour to spare before the party. Dallas is an easy city to live in but not that great to visit. I am an east coast gal and do miss the ocean.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

I don't really make "resolutions" either. I want to take each day as it comes, breathe, stay positive, proceed forward and be thankful for what I have and appreciate each day. I tend to forget how fortunate I am .......
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

We had a good dinner tonight. Quiche made with bacon, tomato and onion, along with a fresh green salad tossed lightly with olive oil and fresh lemon juice. So good to eat cleanly. I was a bad dog over the holidays for four days straight. I was very good for the first half of the week and then I lapsed into bad habits and cheating. I wish I could say that I ate something really fabulous and gourmet when I cheated but I didn't. The cheats were mundane junk food that I happen to really crave: chex mix (truly the devil's spawn), popcorn, popcorn rice cakes (both cheddar cheese and caramel flavors) and assorted goodies that came with the gift baskets we got (all kinds of fancy mini chocolates, truffles, etc.).

I felt so sick yesterday that Tony and I agreed to hop back on strict low carb after our four day "holiday." It serves me right to have stomach aches and headaches -- I should really know better. Did I mention that I felt tired, grumpy and lazy too?

I can't wait to get back into ketosis!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, I totally get the popcorn and chex mix but I cannot believe you ate rice cakes for a cheat. I don't care what flavor they are they always feel like I am eating styrofoam. I'm glad you and Tony both got back on plan, it sucks being grumpy from what you eat. I ate poorly when I was out of town which is a typic I got bl for me when I travel and eat in a hotel room. I did not gain but I did not lose either. Back to basics today also and I am craving a really good salad with avocado and bacon.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Belated happy new year, Gail! I like your resolutions!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

I feel you pain Gail! I did not do well last night ... enjoyed lots of wrong snacks and today I feel awful. But I will forgive myself and be a good girl for a few days at least ! Hang in there!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks ladies! Susan, you have done really well though so you should not feel badly! You always know how to get right back on plan. Frankie, thanks for your sage words of advice. I was craving rice cakes -- sometimes you crave things just because you can't have them, you know! And a salad with avocado and bacon sounds really good -- most folks I know say avocado is a super food and really helps with low carb weight loss.

Ann! Welcome back from London and Scotland! You MUST fill us in on the details of your trip! Did you have a good time? Was it beautiful? Any more shopping?

Today is going to be a trying day. I have one of my toughest clients coming in for a meeting and then cocktails in the evening. The client is all men -- four of them -- and they like to drink and order heavy appetizers. When I am around people, it is easier for me to be good and stay on plan then when I am alone! I think I can sip one glass of white wine and champagne for a few hours and soldier on!

I am so happy to be back on plan -- I can't even begin to tell you. TOM came late Tuesday night/early yesterday morning and I felt miserable all day yesterday. I am starting to feel better today at last. I really believe that low carb eases TOM pain and it certainly helps me feel better from a gastrointestinal perspective.

I hope you guys have a GREAT day today. xo xo xo
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Still in London, actually. I wrote a bit about it on my journal this morning.
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

I had a good day yesterday and it made me feel grateful that I am now back on plan. I feel so much better eating lowcarb -- more energy, clarity and no more stomach aches. Here is what I ate:

Breakfast: cup of coffee, water
Lunch: mixed green salad with grilled chicken and balsamic vinaigrette, water
Snack: diet coke -- one glass of wine during client meeting at night
Dinner: greek salad with grilled chicken, diet iced tea

I slept really well last night too. This is the right way for me to eat and I just need to stay focused on that. I am seeing so many new journals pop up on this site and it warms my heart to know that other folks are trying low carb and finding success!

Good luck to all of us!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I'm glad you had a good day yesterday. Hhaving to eat for business and entertainment can be so tempting.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Julia. There are temptations everywhere! I am a notorious meal skipper which is dreadful because you are always easily tempted when you finally get hungry. Speaking of which, I am furious because I can't find Atkins frozen meals anywhere. The WalMart closest to us did not have them. Boo!

Buying lunch around where I work is super expensive. At the nice restaurant next door (Legal Seafoods), they have a lovely mixed green salad that you can get with either grilled shrimp ($17.00) or grilled chicken ($11.00). While both are delicious, I really cannot justify spending that kind of money for lunch. I really need to get better organized and pack a lunch that I will actually eat. I should make my own grilled chicken salads and call it a day, really.

I know, I know -- first world problems, right? But it is my journal and I will whine if I want to -- and you know I will!

One more thing -- to end this post on a positive note -- my skin looks so much better when I eat low carb. Not only do I sleep better and feel more regular without any aches and pains, but I actually look better. Food for thought the next time I feel like eating chips and crackers.

Last edited by GailyGail; 01-04-2013 at 08:14 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, good job staying on plan through the business meeting.

Look up on the Atkins website for store locations near you that carry the meals. For lunch Lean Cuisine has two meals that do not have starches in them. I tried the Steak Tips Portabello and it was pretty good for a frozen meal. It is on the small side at 150 calories and 14g of carbs and 2g of fiber which also might be a bit high if you are staying under 20 carbs a day. The other meal is a turkey and green beans which I have not tried. I keep them for when I am in a pinch and don't have something available that I have cooked.

I like to get a fresh roasted chicken from Sam's and we can eat several meals off of it throughout the week. It is great on a salad or in a LC quesadilla or with some veggies. With my BF's mom still in the hospital we have not been cooking much at all so the roasted chicken is a time saver. They also have bags of sliced grilled chicken breast and fajita beef which make it super easy to make a salad. I also will make a large 9x13 crustless quiche with veggies and ham or bacon which my BF takes to work every morning. It is quick and easy to make on Sunday night. There are tons of LC casseroles that I make the same way and they take care of several lunches per week (as long as you don't get tired of eating something a few times). As soon as I cook them I portion them into single serving tupperware containers so he can grab them to go each morning.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Ofcourse you can whine, sometimes a girl just has to whine!

I used to work at a place where we had a inhouse cafateria. Cost me a fortune and way to many temptations!

Now I work in a smaller complex, and we have a fridge. I just stuff it with veggies and chicken and white cheese and so. So I can make myself a salad whenever I feel like it. But it takes some planning.

Do you have any plans for the weekend?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Vent and whine all you want Gail! We have that privilege cause we are girls and we are awesome unexplainable creatures that the rest of the world can't live without! WOOT! WOOT! For WOMEN !!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

Susan -- LOL! I love what you posted!!! Sannie, thank you darling -- for letting me whine. Frankie and Sannie -- I really like your ideas for packing lunches -- like the roasted chicken. As for weekend plans, we are just laying low as I had a super busy week at work even though it was only a three day week (whining again, LOL!).

I think we might go see "Zero Dark Thirty" or "Lincoln" -- two good movies out now. I wanted to see "Les Miserables" but Tony hates musicals so that is out. He is craving pizza today so I am busy looking for some good low carb Italian recipes. I think we might have our usual eggplant gratin (sauteed eggplant that is baked with low sugar marinara sauce, riccotta cheese mixture, fresh parm cheese) and veal sauteed in white wine, butter, garlic and roasted shallots. Do you guys ever eat spaghetti squash with marinara sauce? It is okay but I really like the "Zoodles" recipe I found on the boards -- essentially zucchini cut into thin pasta-like strips and served in a homemade alfredo with mushrooms and shallots. It is surprisingly good and makes a nice pasta substitute.

If anyone has any good low carb Italian recipes or ideas, please send them my way! We had the "Food Network" show on and Tony made me change the channel (I think Giada was making something fabulous) as his cravings were getting bad.

Well, I am going to workout on my elliptical while I watch TV (most likely the Real Housewives of Miami reunion -- my TV tastes can be very low-brow) before I go to the hairdresser to get my hair colored. Not a very exciting weekend but I enjoy getting stuff done and organized so I don't stress out during the week.

I hope you guys have a lovely Saturday today! xo xo xo
Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

We ended up by not cooking yesterday and instead ordered from a favorite local place that has plenty of low-carb options (thank God for places like that!). We got steak salads and chicken wings which really hit the spot. Funny, I never ate things like chicken wings before I met Tony (thought they were gross) and now I like them. Isn't it funny how men can introduce you to new things you would not have tried before and vice versa. I ended up falling asleep early while Tony watched the Packers versus Vikings football game on TV so here I am, up early. Actually, I am glad to be up early so I can tackle a new business proposal today.

I will probably cook this afternoon after I get more work done. It is shaping up to be a cold, gray day here in Boston but maybe the sun will come out later.

Frankie, I love your avatar! You are so pretty!