Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:30 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Considering what it could have been, you really did well. Not bad at all.

Are you anywhere near Lowell, MA? Not that any of us should ever go visit her shop, but my cousin owns Sweet Lydia's - homemade marshmallows and s'mores. Great corporate gifts, but not so great when you are a low carb eater.
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Gail - to me, the biggest danger in a hand full of something off plan isn't the carbs in it, it's the possible cravings it will cause me. Probably not going to happen from some dry old snack mix.

Try to be better prepared next time though <spank!>.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Gail, looks like we ran into the same sort of dilemma last night! I am sitting here feeling guilty over my two drinks and bites of carby food stolen from my kids. But it's a new day, right?
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Susan, thanks for the good advice -- I needed that. JMac, I live about an hour from Lowell. I would love to visit your cousin's store but will need to wait until I am in maintenance! Does she have an online business -- because I do like to send gifts to people.

NH, It is better to be prepared and that is where I failed. On low carb, you need to catch hunger before it catches you -- or else it is too hard to fight the craving.

Ann, yes, we suffered from the same dilemma last night! I like your attitude of tomorrow is a new day -- that keeps things in perspective!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #185
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Guilt has no place in this endeavor:

There is no good, or evil when it comes to food. Only choices, and consequences.
Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #186
Major LCF Poster!

Gail, her website is sweetlydias.com and i love her products. I look forward to having them on special occasions once I've reached goal.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Z -- I hope you had a good birthday yesterday. JMac, I am going to that website because I love sending nice goodies as gifts to people who can eat sugar.

I cheated last night. Boo. We got chinese and at first I stayed on plan with chicken and mixed vegetables. Then I caved and had a two tablespoons of rice. Arggh. I am back on the low carb wagon though. And plan to stay that way through the holidays.

I am in a really bad mood right now and mad at myself but then I need to take everyone's sage advice to heart. No anger, no guilt. Just solemnly get back on plan and firmly stay there. I know it is the right course for me. Yesterday, I was in NYC and saw my dermotologist who commended me for following a low carb diet. She said that sugar and high carbs are TERRIBLE for your skin -- the increase the signs of aging, wrinkles and make your skin less elastic. So yet another reason to stay low carb.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Get your foot off that slippery slope, woman.

I agree, don't waste any time on guilt or anger. I think that's what leads most people from a little slip to completely giving up. They get all down on themselves and then failure seems inevitable. A positive attitude is very helpful with this diet, as you already know. So don't let the demons talk in your ear.

You'll be fine. If I had Chinese rice in front of me, I'd eat a lot more of it than you did. That's why I can't ever have Chinese food.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

By the way, I did my Christmas food shopping tonight and got the fresh herbs to make that dip you told us about. Can't wait to try it! I'm also going to make some jalapeno poppers, because my hubby likes that spicy stuff, and some lunch meats spread with cream cheese and a pickle slice in the middle. I bought strawberries too, so I can make the cute little santa hats with whipped cream in them.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, NH, those recipes sound great -- love the Santa hats idea! And even better since those Santa Hats are low carb! Jalapeno poppers are a nice snack too. I am back on track. Yesterday, for breakfast I had coffee and I did skip lunch too because I had a new business pitch in the afternoon. For dinner, I had a burger with a low carb bun and salad and a spoonful of eggplant gratin (eggplant sauteed in olive oil and then baked with low sugar marinara and ricotta). I feel so much better staying on strict low carb. When carbs enter the picture, I start to feel out of control.

Thanks for your sage advice NH. I hope you make a lovely holiday feast! And I really need to try those Santa Hats!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:43 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

I hadn't even thought about poppers for Christmas, but now I just might have to do that!

You'll do great in the long run, even if you slip a little now and then. Just don't fall and stay there. If a few bites keeps you from binging, eat a few bites.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Free View Post
By the way, I did my Christmas food shopping tonight and got the fresh herbs to make that dip you told us about. Can't wait to try it! I'm also going to make some jalapeno poppers, because my hubby likes that spicy stuff, and some lunch meats spread with cream cheese and a pickle slice in the middle. I bought strawberries too, so I can make the cute little santa hats with whipped cream in them.
YUM !!! I'm getting my head back into the game !!!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Thanks Z -- I hope you had a good birthday yesterday. JMac, I am going to that website because I love sending nice goodies as gifts to people who can eat sugar.

I cheated last night. Boo. We got chinese and at first I stayed on plan with chicken and mixed vegetables. Then I caved and had a two tablespoons of rice. Arggh. I am back on the low carb wagon though. And plan to stay that way through the holidays.

I am in a really bad mood right now and mad at myself but then I need to take everyone's sage advice to heart. No anger, no guilt. Just solemnly get back on plan and firmly stay there. I know it is the right course for me. Yesterday, I was in NYC and saw my dermotologist who commended me for following a low carb diet. She said that sugar and high carbs are TERRIBLE for your skin -- the increase the signs of aging, wrinkles and make your skin less elastic. So yet another reason to stay low carb.

Good to hear re: skin !!! I'm getting my head back into this weight thing too !!!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, it is true -- my dermatologist (Dr. Linda Franks) has a great reputation and is an innovator in the anti-aging arena. She said that sugar and carbs increase the signs of aging -- almost as bad as the sun. She was VERY pro-low carb and was pleased to hear that I was on the plan. So it was great to hear a doctor say this. I think more of the medical establishment is coming around to the low carb way of thinking.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

There's a picture of the Santa hats here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...anta-hats.html

They make them with brownie bites, but I was going to skip the brownie and just use a slice off of the strawberry for that part. But I've since found strawberry santas.

I'll probably make cream cheese penguins too (they're at allrecipes.com). Instead of making the usual cookies and junk that will kick us out of ketosis for Christmas, I'm trying to make our holiday food pretty this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strawberry-santas-01.jpg (52.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg penguins.jpg (48.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by NH_Free; 12-20-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

NH -- I love these recipes! The Santa Hats and the cream chese penguins are awesome. I love how you have a plan for staying low carb through the holidays. We are going to Tony's family in Maine. We spend Christmas Eve at his brother's house and then Christmas Day at his dad's place (his mom died earlier this year so it will be a very rough Christmas for him). Tony's brother and his wife always make a seafood chowder that they serve with appetizers for Christmas Eve. I offered to bring a bunch of appetizers ---jumbo shrimp cocktail, hot crab dip, herb dip + veggies, spiced nuts -- all stuff that I can eat! Tony's dad is grilling steaks for Christmas dinner so I offered to make some sides to go with the steaks like creamed spinach, grilled aspragus, salad, etc. I would love to make those Santa Hats for dessert!!! NH, you are a wealth of good information and great ideas! So glad you stopped by today! xo Gail
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Well, I can't take credit, more creative people than me have posted these things online. I just do an image search for "Christmas appetizer ideas" and all sorts of stuff comes up.

We're actually contemplating a trip to Maine this year. We usually go somewhere that has snow between the holidays. Last time was Diamond Pond in northern NH (awesome wildness!). This year, maybe Maine, if I can find a place with snow and a cabin that allows dogs.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Those santa hats look so cute.
And your chistmas plans sound great too Gail. And if you bring food that is fun, and you can make sure to stay on plan. Win Win situation. :-)
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Northern Maine just got 6-12 inches of snow, NH, so you are in luck! That would be so much fun to go to a cabin and bring the dogs. I love watching dogs play in the snow -- so adorable! Velvet, do you have any good plans for the holidays? What is up with you these days?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Happy holidays, Gail! Hope you get some great time with family and friends. I'll be peeking in now and then while I'm away...
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gail - here's where we spent the holidays last time. There was enough snow for snowshoeing, but the snowmobile trails weren't open yet, so we had hundreds of acres to ourselves! Didn't even have cell reception there - we had to walk 3/4 of a mile over the hill to get a signal. It was awesomely peaceful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0359.jpg (22.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0400.jpg (45.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by NH_Free; 12-21-2012 at 05:44 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Ah snow! I love snow when I do not have to work, and got plenty of time on my hands. The dog loves snow too.

My plan for the holidays is to relax, workout, sew and have some family and friends over. We are going to go away for the weekend, to a small hotel with a fireplace and the works. So I am really looking forward to that!

Reading back I can totaly relate to your idea of eating stricly low carb keeps you calm. When you add carb to the mix there is this whole feeling guilty and enjoying yourself less because you know it is bad for you. Keeping your christmas low carb is definately a good idea!

Start 220 1 okt 2012
205==> 21 nov 2012
200==> 12 dec 2012
195==> 16 jan 2013
Blog: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...carb-life.html
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Merry Christmss

From one Virgo to an Other!
Have fun with the family.
The FOOD really sounds GREAT!

Sorry there will be some sadness.
But you will all be together, that will help.
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

I hope you are having a great weekend and relaxing before the holiday! Enjoy your time with family!
Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Bella, thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you and your family have a great holiday too! Julia, I am relaxing and I hope you get a chance to do so as well. You have been working so hard at the store -- you deserve some time off!

I was a bad dog yesterday. Tony and I agreed to have one day off the diet so we ordered pizza and salad well as one treat for him and one treat for me. I picked caramel rice cakes and he picked whoopie pies. I only had one slice of pizza because it just did not appeal to me at all and was not worth the carbs. So net/net, I did not each much yesterday but it still wasn't low carb. Going to get back on the wagon today! Thinking about making a nice steak and caesar salad for our Sunday Funday.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Gail! Good day for me yesterday, but BAD night ! Snack Monster took over !!! Nuts/3 cookies/1 chocolate covered piece of toffee !!!

You did really well with the pizza though - if I started eating pizza, I could easily eat the WHOLE THING !!! Here's to a better day today !!!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Gail, sounds like when you go off your plan you don't go hog wild and this is a good thing. I do feel better eating LC most of the time but there are occasions where I have a higher carb portion of food. I plan it and I don't eat much of it. I typically do this on a weekend when we go out to eat so there is only the one portion and I cannot keep eating it for days. I do this without guilt or feeling like I have gone off plan. I also make it work into my carb allowance for the day. Typically I will have not had any carbs for the day until that meal. I had a few french fries last night. I wanted them I ate them now I don't care about them. I only ate a few so it did not blow my carbs for the day and it will not make me crave them. This can be a slippery slope for some people who have a low tolerance for any starchy or sugary carbs which can set off mad cravings. Perhaps once a week you can select a day to have one portion of what you want and calculate so that your portion does not go over your carb limit you have set. I say all this because I don't like seeing you beat yourself up or ay you were bad,,,you were not, you are just human.

I am finding that I am looking for a lifestyle that I can live with long term and for me being crazy strict all the time has not worked. If I can have my planned indulgence it works for me and I still feel in control. I think because it is planned, it is one portion and I know how much I can have it works. I know it won't work for a lot of low carbers but it might work for you.

Have a great time up in Maine with your family and have a wonderful Christmas.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #208
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, it is great to hear from you -- and I always love seeing your avatar of your beautiful Boston Terrier. Your dog has the sweetest face ever. I love your philosophy and it is one I hope to incorporate once I get more weight off. I like the idea of the a high carb treat every now and them. I won't lose or keep the weight off it I have carb foods too often. We are back on the wagon today. I find it is easier when high carb foods are out of sight and out of mind. I hope you and your family have a fabulous Christmas and a very, very Happy New Year!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

I just want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. Tony and I are leaving for Maine this afternoon and I won't have access to wireless -- so this means I won't be posting again until Wednesday or Thursday. It will be nice to be off the grid for a while.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your wonderful support, sage advice, good humor and kindness. Even though you are not physically in my life, all of you are very important to me. You guys have guided me through some challenging times, navigating the way for proper eating and low carb success. Please know how grateful I am for your time and insight. You guys are GREAT friends!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Merry Christmas Gail!
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote