Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Maybe they'll have shrimp or something, but you could always stick a little snack in your purse to make sure you have something low carb. The Atkins bar in my purse has saved me many a time. Have fun at the party!
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Even if you cheat, you'll correct it! But since you don't want to cheat, you won't ! You should eat something before you get to the party to prevent being ravenous!
Garden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
NH and Susan, those are both great ideas! Maybe I will have a piece of cheese or a few slices of turkey before I go to the party. Thank you!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I am leaving the office to get ready for the party. I am going to try to look my best so I am getting my hair blown out really full and will probably curl the ends. You can't tell from my avatar but I actually have a very full head of long hair. My hair makes me feel better when I'm on the heavy side (which is ridiculous, I know).

I got a cute outfit to wear tonight from a designer called Eileen Fisher -- really nicely tailored wool crepe pants with a lovely sparkly top (all in black of course, LOL) that hides my problem areas (stomach and upper back) while emphasizing my good ones (bust, skinny legs, hips and arms). I have nice silver accessories to go with it -- chunky statement necklace and a really cool evening purse by Nancy Gonzalez. I might be a size 14 (and fatter than everyone else there) but that doesn't mean that I can't still look good, you know? Wish me luck tonight!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
GailyGail, have a blast! I love Eileen Fisher-- her clothes work for every size. I bet you look stunning!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gosh, I'd give my eye teeth to have my problem areas be where yours are. Mine are just the opposite, and very hard to hide!

A size 14 isn't very big, Gail, and no matter what size you wore, you'd be the prettiest one there anyway. Hope you're feeling good with your new outfit!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Your outfit sounds really flattering so I hope you feel confident and sexy in it. You manage the party eating no problem, just concentrate on talking to people.

BTW, I just microwaved those turkey pepperoni slices for about 45 seconds and now I have pepperoni chips to eat with boursin cheese as a snack. Freaking awesome! So much better than boursin on celery. I am thinking of using them just like I do crackers for other cheeses and dips.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Ann, NH and Frankie, I am sending much love to you guys -- thank you for your wonderful support and for your kind compliments -- which made me feel like a million bucks! I just got back from the party and we had a fantastic time. I work with great people and they all happen to have wonderful spouses, significant others and friends who came with them as their guests -- so it was fun and easy all the way around. They had great passed appetizers (burger and pork sliders, mini lobster rolls, mini servings of mac & cheese, mini quesadillas, spring rolls), a raw bar with shrimp, oysters, etc. and a nice stations with chips, dips, salsas, fancy cheeses, fruits, breads, honey, etc. and an open bar. The buffet was lovely - skirt steak, gnocchi in red sauce, seafood paella, sauteed green beans, french & garlic bread, three cheese risotto, crispy pomme frittes (french fries), scallops in butter & white wine sauce, salad and fettucine in olive oil, garlic, basil and cherry tomatoes. There was also a huge dessert bar. I nursed a cocktail and nibbled on a small plate of steak, cheese and salad. It was great!

Thank you God -- the low carb Gods aligned and kept me safe at a party!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #159
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
Gail!

I'm excited to find your journal!

Glad there was great food for you to be able to indulge in without guilt! And good going resisting the rest (dessert bar - be still my heart!)

Your outfit sounds spectacular - I know you looked like a million bucks. You're so beautiful anyway and I can just imagine how absolutely gorgeous you are all glammed up.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

I'm sure you looked fabulous! You are a beauty inside and out! I cheated for you last night - M & M oatmeal cookies!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

I'm really glad you had a good time, Gail! That wasn't the low carb gods that did that though, it was YOUR will that helped you resist all those goodies. It came from YOU. Don't give the credit for it away.

Now what are you going to do with that new outfit when it doesn't fit you next month?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Sounds like you really looked pretty for the party GG, that's awesome and staying staying away from the carbs, woohoo. I agree, thank you Lord for this woe.
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
So glad you had a good time at your holiday party, Gail. Funny how the food isn't really all that important when you think about all the other fun things a party has to offer- meeting and talking to other people, wearing beautiful sparkly clothes, looking at the fun holiday decorations, and absorbing the celebratory energy!

So glad you had fun AND stuck to your goals (i.e. took good care of yourself.)

Leslie
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Jen, Susan, NH and Scalestepper, thank you SO MUCH for the support! It makes my heart smile and gives me the strength to stay on the low carb plan! I thought the party would be harder but it really wasn't at all. I stayed FAR away from the dessert bar -- we strategically placed ourselves at a corner by the bar where there was plenty of traffic and opportunity for socializing. My good friend at work planned the party and he told me in advance that the dessert bar was going to be outrageous so he made that suggestion and it was a good one!

The bartender graciously made me a low carb cocktail -- a vodka gimlet with fresh lime juice, splenda, vodka and the tiniest splash of cointreau (I watched him make it -- the low carb Virgo control freak that I am). And I was thrilled to find good low carb options at the buffet (crisp green beans, juicy steak, fancy cheese) so no complaints. Tony does the plan with me but he can cheat and still lose weight (argggh men!) so he indulged but didn't rub my face it in! I have to admit: the gnoochi, fettucine and sliders looked GOOD!

Jen, thank you for the compliments regarding my looks! It means so much to hear that when you find yourself battling a weight problem -- and all the women I work with are gorgeous, skinny and fairly young -- early 20s to mid 30s. I adore them all and feel no resentment towards them whatsover but sometimes I feel a little self conscious -- you know like "plus size middle aged chick" but then I get over it!

Susan, M&M oatmeal cookies sound so YUM -- I would rather have those than a fancy dessert to be honest with you. When I was thin, I used to make those as treats for others and then eat the batter. Chewy oatmeal cookies are the best -- they are also good with white chocolate chips and cranberries too. At least you picked a delectable treat well worth having!

NH, if I am lucky enough to reach my goal (size 6 or size 4, where I was for many years) I am thinking of donating my old clothes or giving them away. I have a good amount of pieces that I have only worn once or have not worn at all so it would be great to give them to someone or someplace that will make good use of them!

Scalestepper, I thank God everyday for low carb and Atkins!

Have a great day guys. We are trying not to think about that horrible shooting at the school in CT. I feel so badly for those parents, teachers and children.

Last edited by GailyGail; 12-15-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, congrats on the successful party, I knew you'd do great because you were in such a positive state of mind.

If you are looking to donate clothes, especially work clothes there is a great charity called "Dress for Success" that provides clothes for women who have been on assistance who are going back in the workforce to become financially self sufficient. The especially need larger sized clothes. The women get to come and pick out an outfit, shoes, and accessories for interviewing. After they get a job they can come back for more clothes and can get casual clothes too. I believe they are in the Boston area too.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, that is the perfect suggestion -- thank you! I will do that -- plus it is good incentive to stay on plan.

Tony and I took an eight mile walk around the coast this morning because it was so nice. Afterwards, he was really hungry -- almost to the point of feeling sick -- and he wanted barbeque. We have a pretty decent BBQ place near our house where you can get the sauce on the side (including no sugar sauce) so we got takeout there. We got chicken, ribs, green beans. collard greens, asian slaw and salad with buttermilk chive dressing. When we got home, the smell of it made me sick (even though everyone loves this place and it gets awesome Yelp reviews).

Sometimes ketosis turns me off foods -- which I love because I eat less! I really truly am not hungry and the smells of certain things will turn my stomach.

Later today, at 3:30 PM with an empty stomach, I was hungry, craving Asian and did not feel like cooking. My skinny minnie friend orders from this Asian place and always gets steamed veggies, chicken and shrimp that she dunks in the hot mustard (no rice of course!). So I got that and it was really good. I got it with no sauce and the veggies were super fresh and crisp, so the broccoli, bok choy, peapods and water chestnuts tasted good in the super hot mustard. I also got a small order of Kung Pao Chicken and had two tablespoons of that without eating the carrots, just chicken, celery and peanuts. OMG -- so good. It completely satisifed my craving.

Now I don't hear the cornbread in the kitchen calling my name! Tony's BBQ comes with the best homemade cornbread and honey butter.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Hey there! So glad you had such a good time at the party!

I know exactly what you mean about being turned off foods. I never know if it is boredom or ketosis, but am I ever suffering from it right now. I was just writing in my journal that I have absolutely no desire to go and make dinner. So glad you found a compromise that worked for you!

I would LOVE to order Chinese tonight, but I don't trust any of the places around here not to sneak carbs into it. They do steamed vegetables, but I find them overcooked and very bland. So into the kitchen I go to make something I am not really wanting... but I have to eat-- all I've all day is two eggs and a handful of spinach. Jeez, am I a complainer, or what?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Gail, I'm sure you looked amazing at the party. I love Eileen Fisher - it's my go-to for dressy. I love getting dressed up for something - I just can't do "business casual" because I wear jeans and t-shirt to work. I don't think that is what they mean. But black tie and I've got you covered!

Ive been meaning to tell you about something, but you mentioned ribs and it reminded me: You are a sauce girl - in Alabama we do white barbecue sauce. It is so good, especially on smoked chicken. It's mayo, cider vinegar and black pepper mixed together and let it meld overnight. Or white wine vinegar. Plus maybe some garlic or lemon juice or even some cayenne pepper. Whatever you want. It is so good, and it is super low carb friendly - the main ingredient is mayonnaise! If you google "white barbecue sauce" you can find different recipes.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #169
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennifer
Start Date: on and off, up and down since 1/30/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Tony and I took an eight mile walk around the coast this morning because it was so nice.
8 miles - wow! I was feeling proud of myself for doing 2.5!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Ann, you are not complaining at all! I find myself in the situation you outlined all the time. What did you end up eating? If you are craving Asian, you can easily make a low carb stir fry sauce and then sautee chicken and veggies in peanut oil and then add the sauce. I have a bunch of recipes that I will share shortly. Really good and healthy -- and it satisfies the Asian craving without doing any damage!

Leslie, thanks for stopping by! I hope your weekend is going well!

JMacB, I am definitely making white barbeque sauce -- YUM! Tony would love that and I love anything with vinegar. We have tons of leftover BBQ that Tony needs to eat today but I might make Bobby Flay's coleslaw recipe (totally delicious and super low carb) for him to have with the left over ribs, chicken, etc. Don't know what I will have yet. Not hungry at all! Go ketosis!

Jen, eight mile walk was super easy because we were walking along the ocean (the coast is just so pretty no matter where you go) and it was a sunny brisk day in Boston - - we wanted to be outside with winter nipping at our heals. We are supposed to get SNOW today and then rain through the week in Boston so we wanted to maximize our time outdoors. The winter up here is pleasant through January and then it starts to get cold and dreary through March.

I hope everyone has a joyous Sunday. I need to clean the house, do some paperwork for work, finish a proposal and wrap some gifts after I do some time on the elliptical. One great thing is that my elliptical is in front of a TV so I can watch all my junky TV shows that Tony hates (anything on Bravo like "The Shahs of Sunset" or the Real Housewives -- my taste in reality TV is abysmal. Good thing I read alot to make up for it - kinda...).
Old 12-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
A walk by the ocean sounds like heaven to me.

I think donating your wardrobe to charity is a great idea!
And no matter that you are plus sized, you still look amazing to me! Bigger women are beautifull too.

But I can understand that you want to be smaller (don't we all) it does not make you less beautifull now. Getting smaller just makes you feel more beautifull yourself.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Velvet -- you are very wise and an old soul in the best possible sense. I hope you are having a good weekend.

Ann, here are some super easy stirfry recipes. One involves 1/4 cup of soy sauce (use low sodium if you can), 1/2 cup dry sherry, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tablespoons minced giner and 1 packet of Splenda and combine. If you want a sweeter sauce, Linda Sue has a great recipe which is 2 teaspoons of low carb ketchup, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, one teaspoon of white wine vinegar, one teaspoon of Splenda, one drop of sesame oil and 1/8 teaspoon of red curry paste.

If you want something spicy and sweet for a chicken and pork recipe try combining sugar free preserves with 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/3 cup Brown Sugar Twin (you can get it on Netrition), one tablespoon of minced garlic, two tablespoons of grated ginger and 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper chili flakes. You want to bring this to a boil and then simmer for a bit. I've done this with both sugar free orange and peach preserves for a chicken stirfry and it was really good.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Yum, I just made a tasty dish that you guys might like if you like pasta. I think I mentioned that we only eat once a day on weekends. We find it helps with our diet to do some intermittent fasting and we like making a big low carb meal in the mid afternoon. We ate a little early today (2:00 PM) as Tony wanted to eat while the football games were on. He ate our BBQ leftovers from yesterday as they were so plentiful and we needed to get rid of them.

I made ziti, broccoli and chicken -- without the ziti of course! I like fresh garlic and good extra virgin olive oil as opposed to a heavy cream sauce. I sauteed chunks of boneless chicken breast in olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. Then I put that aside and lightly steamed some fresh broccoli, Then I sauteed fresh garlic, onion, and zucchini. I added the broccoli and chicken, added a splash more of olive oil and plenty of fresh pecorino romano cheese. Let them simmer for a while and voila!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Ann, here are some super easy stirfry recipes. One involves 1/4 cup of soy sauce (use low sodium if you can), 1/2 cup dry sherry, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tablespoons minced giner and 1 packet of Splenda and combine. If you want a sweeter sauce, Linda Sue has a great recipe which is 2 teaspoons of low carb ketchup, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, one teaspoon of white wine vinegar, one teaspoon of Splenda, one drop of sesame oil and 1/8 teaspoon of red curry paste.

If you want something spicy and sweet for a chicken and pork recipe try combining sugar free preserves with 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1/3 cup Brown Sugar Twin (you can get it on Netrition), one tablespoon of minced garlic, two tablespoons of grated ginger and 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper chili flakes. You want to bring this to a boil and then simmer for a bit. I've done this with both sugar free orange and peach preserves for a chicken stirfry and it was really good.
Thanks, Gail! I'll definitely give these recipes a try!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #175
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh, it is a rainy, cold gloomy day her here in Boston. I have a super long day today -- back to back client meetings, have to write a propsoal and then take clients out for drinks/appetiers tonight. And then tomorrow I need to wake up at 3:30 AM to catch a flight to NYC. Pray that I make it through this week -- it will be a long one!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

I'm rooting for you!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ann! I am totally cheering you on too!

I was kind of a bad dog tonight. Well, you guys know that I am a notorious meal skipper -- this diet exacerbates that because you truly aren't hungry for long periods at a time. I skipped breakfast and lunch today -- had a coffee with Splenda and half and half and sparkling water. The last time I ate was 2:00 PM ish yesterday -- the chicken, broccoli dish I made. Not good -- I made a mistake.

So, I was planning on having a meeting with one our large clients at 4:00 PM and then taking them for cocktails and appetizers after. The high end place where we were going to do has fantastic low carb apps like big gorgeous shrimp cocktail, chicken satay, scallops in bacon and raw veggies with red pepper dip -- plus the bartender knows how to make me a low carb gimlet. Well turns out the client cancels at the last minute. It is 4:45 PM and my boss, who own the company and who also happens to be one of my dearest friends, says "lets go for a drink."

Now my very good friend is literally like my brother -- we have one of those super close older sister/younger brother relationships and I would throw myself in front of a truck for him. He is going through a really tough personal time right now -- I can't tell you what it is and it is not his fault -- just a totally awful thing happened to him. So we hung out and talked for a while. And I drank two and a half cosmopolitans and ate one handful of snack mix. I say one handful because I literally picked one thing individually to eat it -- one peanut here, on spicy sesame stick here, one dried pea there, one wasabi almond over there. Yes, some of this snack mix was low carb --and some of it wasn't. And I still had a handful though when all is said and done.

Anyway, I left at 7:15 and ordered take out at the bar (they have great food). I ordered a burger and a green salad. I took off the bun when I got home and had the burger and salad. I wolfed it town in like five bites. Gross, I know. But I was hungry.

I hope I do better tomorrow.

Last edited by GailyGail; 12-17-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, it does not sound like you were very bad at all. It might not have been on your plan but a few pieces of snack mix and the juice in a cosmo or two won't throw you too bad out of ketosis especially since you had not eaten many carbs earlier in the day.

I find that if I make minor "transgressions" with my food and move on I am so much better off than beating myself up for it or for trying to make up for it the next day by stavring or punishing myself. Pick yourself up and try to plan to have something equally tasty in your desk or bag that you can eat a bite of before going out. If you watch your skinny friends they don't eat perfect all the time. They just get back to their normal eating after having a food splurge.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, thank you for that blast of sanity. You are a life saver.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Don't beat yourself up over this! We all have our moments and you were listening and comforting your buddy!!! That's more important than a bit of snack mix !