Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
Oh, GailyGail, I should have started hanging out here in the journal section a long time ago. It has a very different feeling than the rest of the site, I think.

Or maybe it's just that many of us are Z fans!
So True! I feel as if the journals hold much more encouragement then other parts of the website.

And we are Z fans, but I am a Gail fan too.

I do not think I would be able to go a once per day meal. I think that would cause me to binge. If I eat with regular interfals it seems to be easier for me to maintain this lifestyle.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Velvet, they really do, don't they? And being a Gail fan goes without saying!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Awww, thanks guys -- I'm fans of yours too! You just made my day -- and it is very gloomy but unseasonably warm here in Boston. It feels more like late March than mid December!

One of my co-workers just have me a huge tin of homemade chocolate chip cookies for Christmas and I can even smell the homemade goodness with the lid on the tin closed tight -- I can smell the vanilla, butter and chocolate chips. Boo! I think I will give these to someone else without the giver of the gift knowing about it as I don't want to hurt her feelings or show that I am ungrateful for the gift.

It is too bad sugar has to be such a big part of all of the holiday fanfare. I don't mean to sound like a low-carb cranky lady but sugar is the devil. It really is -- I put sugar up there with crack cocaine, Dick Cheney, all that is evil in the world. I did read some good news today though -- the New York Times reported that obesity levels are going down in kids across the US due to adopting better eating habits like eschewing or reducing the sugar, soda, candy that they consume. Dr. Atkins was so head of his time when he called out sugar as the culprit for many of our health woes. I don't think white flour or wheat is much better though. Have any of you guys read the book "Wheat Belly"? I heard it is a great read -- one that condemns the consumption of wheat. LimeTwist and a few other journalers on this board don't eat wheat and seem to feel so much better physically because of that decision.

It is all so interesting isn't it -- what makes us fat, what causes us to lose weight and the impact of what we eat on our moods, emotions, hormones, productivity and sleep levels. You see Z -- that is why you need to write a book -- because I like the way you combine the real science of these issues with compelling real-life personal experiences. There are so many people who are overweight here in the US and even in Europe (Velvet, we are much fatter here in the US than you Europeans, who rarely eat processed junk). I think if more people knew and understood about low carb as a viable option, we would see so much less obesity. Even if folks just cut out sugar and white flour, they would still lose weight without necessarily going hard core low carb.

Did you guys ever do other diet programs or plans where they send you pre-packaged food? I once tried NutriSystem and it was the grossest thing ever. I like good fresh food and cooking too much for that pre-packaged garbage. Most of the food they sent to you is filled with sugar -- there are desserts galore on that program. Like a full day meal plan looks like this: french toast with syrup for breakfast, macaroni & cheese with a brownie for lunch, two cookies for your snack and dinner is pizza and an ice cream bar. You are supposed to add in your own one piece of fresh fruit and a salad. If you look at that consumption for the entire day, it is not very healthy.

Sorry to get so serious today but I do feel the need to evangelize for our low carb way of life sometimes. It really presents a very good approach to losing weight, keeping it off for a lifetime and warding off diseases like diabetes, heart attacks, etc.

Okay, end of rant --have a great day all!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #124
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Gail... I got some glucomannan powder from the lcf site and it works great for thickening. The last time i was doing induction hard core, i used xantham gum and i hated it for its sliminess. So try the powder...but read the hints people have posted.. Like whisking a small amount in cold liquid before adding it to your sauce or whatever.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

DQ, thank you so much! I think I can order glucomannan powder from Netrition. I have tried xantham gum in the past when making asian stirfries and it really did not do the trick so thanks for that very helpful recommendation.

I forgot to post my food for today. For breakfast, I had a Dunkin Donuts flavored coffee in Pumpkin Spice (no carbs but tons of flavor) and a piece of Cracker Barrel extra sharp white cheddar cheese. I don't think I will get hungry until dinner but if I do, I will go across the street and get a salad with grilled shrimp. Tonight we are having turkey burgers and greek salad for dinner -- so that's something to look forward to.

I had a really hard time letting go of ketchup -- I know, that's crazy right? But low carb ketchup does not taste good to me and I even tried making my own, which was even worse. I discovered Red Pepper Aioli at one of my favorite restaurants and loved its sweet, creamy garlicky taste. You get a lot of flavor for not alot of carbs. Essentially you put three cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup of mayo, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, one bottle of roasted red peppers (drained of course) and some freshly ground pepper in a food processor. I would mince the garlic first in the food processor and then add the other ingridients and mix well. It is delicious and fresh tasting. I love it on turkey burgers and regular burgers but it also goes well with chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, etc. I am a Condiment Queen so I need yummy sauces, dressings and dips to keep me in love with protein!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
One of my co-workers just have me a huge tin of homemade chocolate chip cookies for Christmas and I can even smell the homemade goodness with the lid on the tin closed tight -- I can smell the vanilla, butter and chocolate chips. Boo! I think I will give these to someone else without the giver of the gift knowing about it as I don't want to hurt her feelings or show that I am ungrateful for the gift.
I don't think re-gifting a nice present would ever be an issue. After all you think it is a nice enough gift to give to someone you like.

Quote:
Did you guys ever do other diet programs or plans where they send you pre-packaged food?
I did one of those Physicians Weight Loss programs where you just drink shakes for weeks on end. Epic fail for me. I am not a big sweets eater and drinking a chocolate shake for weeks made me dream about food. As soon as I was done I dove into food. They did not teach how to transition back to food very well. I just felt so deprived that I constantly thought about the food I could eat when the "diet" was over.

Quote:
DQ, thank you so much! I think I can order glucomannan powder from Netrition. I have tried xantham gum in the past when making asian stirfries and it really did not do the trick so thanks for that very helpful recommendation.
You can also get a thickener for Netrition called Dixie Diner Carb Counters Thick it Up.

Quote:
I discovered Red Pepper Aioli at one of my favorite restaurants and loved its sweet, creamy garlicky taste. You get a lot of flavor for not alot of carbs. ,,,, I love it on turkey burgers and regular burgers but it also goes well with chicken,
turkey, fish, shrimp, etc. I am a Condiment Queen so I need yummy sauces, dressings and dips to keep me in love with protein!
I am going to try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
So True! I feel as if the journals hold much more encouragement then other parts of the website. .
This board used to be so supportive and active. I have seen a change in the "tone" the last year or so. I like reading the journals and find that they are now the place to go to give support and encouragement to each other.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gail I hear you on the ketchup! I love it, but it has so much sugar! Must try the Red Pepper thing somday soon.

I have done a weightcare shake program. The meals (apart from the chocolate shake) taste awefull. You can loos 6 pounds in a week or so, but it is a diet that makes you extremely tired.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Ladies, do try the red pepper aioli. We made it last night and it really gave your turkey burgers some zip and plenty of flavor. Velvet, congratulations on getting below 200!

Frankie, I cannot even imagine doing a shakes only diet -- that would drive me crazy. I am not a fan of shakes to begin with and much prefer solid food. By the way, is that your Boston Terrier in your avatar? I love that breed and that particular dog in your photo is so adorable.

Getting ready for another day here -- it is amazing how much energy I have on low carb. I woke up at 5:30 AM and just felt great. I want to keep focusing on the positive aspects of low carb so I don't cave and cheat with high carb food. My office holiday party is this coming Friday and I don't know if there will be much low carb food. They are holding it at a very trendy restaurant/bar in downtown Boston. I've been there before and their food and cocktails are excellent but not exactly low carb. I think I will eat a small low carb snack before the party so that I stay on plan.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #129
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Gail, do you not like the reduced carb ketchup from Heinz? I like it and just use a smaller amount. Im going to try your aoili though. Last night I made egg salad using no sugar added pickle relish and was so happy! I've missed that flavor.

Holiday parties at trendy places: ugh. Pitfalls everywhere. I'd eat a BIG fatty something before I went so I wouldn't be tempted and then always be talking to folks about how awesome the place is so I never start eating. I'm also not above calling ahead to see what the menu is going to be. I'd use the "we have someone attending with food allergies can you give me an idea of the menu?" or some such. I did that before I went to a convention in August and found out when I'd be able to eat and when I wouldn't.

I also have a ridiculous amount of energy on low carb - waking up at 5 is my new normal. After the holidays and when I'm not going to work at 6, I plan to channel this for good and start working out. I need to find some exercise buddies who will hold me accountable. I wish all the LCF folks were here - we would have an awesome group!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Gail - have you tried the ketchup recipe on LindaSue's site? I just use the reduced sugar Heinz, so I haven't tried it myself. LindaSue thinks it's real good though.

Just a little sidetrack about that vanity sizing thing we were discussing... I hit the thrift store for the first time in a long while yesterday and scored a pair of like new Emilio Pucci ski pants for $4.50. They're made in Switzerland and a women's size 10. They're tighter than my American size 2's!
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

JMac, no, I am not crazy about the Heinz reduced carb ketchup. I wish I liked it but I dislike the aftertaste and it makes me miss the sweet tomatoey taste of real ketchup that much more! I like your strategy on eating something fatty before going to the party as trendy places predominantly feature delicious high carb food that I can't eat.

NH -- LOL about the vanity sizing! Clothing from high-end European designers like Pucci tends to run VERY small -- so that size 10 is probably like a size 4 or 2 in US sizes. How great that you scored Pucci ski pants for $4.50? That is a GREAT deal!

I should try LindaSue's ketchup and I have a bunch of recipes for low carb BBQ sauce that I need to try as well. Regular versions of ketchup and BBQ sauce can really knock you out of Ketosis -- so we just have to stay vigilant all the time!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

I forgot to post my food intake. Breakfast was a cup of coffee with splenda and half and half. Lunch was one wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and sparkling water. Snack: diet coke and green tea. Tony is making a crustless low carb quiche with bacon, tomato and gruyere cheese tonight -- yum. I am looking forward to having that with one glass of dry Sauvignon Blanc white wine.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Ooh... your dinner sounds delicious! I wish I had someone to cook for me!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, I am fortunate that Tony is a good cook -- we both take turns. I do more of the cooking on Friday, Saturdays, Sundays and he does the balance of the week. It helps that we like alot of the same things too and he is an adventurous eater (and I am too, LOL. I pretty much like everything!). When we first met, we were both super thin and able to get to our lowest weight ever via low carb -- so he has always bought into the low carb philosophy. Of course, that was eleven years ago! In 2001, I was a skinny size two and he was in great shape. Fast forward eleven years later and well -- we both love food and cooking -- so here we are, I am overweight and he could probably stand to lose 25 pounds. But we are making our way through this together!

As per our earlier conversation, you should check out Spanx shapewear. They have really great pieces that are worth the $$$.

Last edited by GailyGail; 12-12-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Old 12-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

We just had the quiche and it was delicious! Tony mixed one teaspoon of dill, one teaspoon of ground mustard, salt & pepper, fresh chives, sauteed onion (sauteed in butter), 8-10 cherry tomatoes chopped in half, four strips of cooked bacon and a one and a half cups of shredded swiss cheese with 6 beaten eggs and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. Spray Pam (or another calorie free cooking spray) on a round or square 9 inch pie plate or casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. And voila -- you have a scrumptious quiche. We ate this with fresh green beans sauteed in extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic and salt & pepper to taste and a good glass of icy cold sauvignon blanc. Yum!

Last edited by GailyGail; 12-12-2012 at 04:40 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

YUM!

(And yes, I will check out the spanx!)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Great. Ann, I am so happy for your and your weight loss. You are going to have FUN in Scotland.

I am feeling discouraged today. I know I am making progress but do you ever have one of those days when you just feel FAT and hate looking in the mirror? I am having one of those days. It was a hasty morning and I hate the outfit I picked out but needed to get to work early so I didn't have time to change. I mean it's fine -- it is not a tragedy but my big stomach is poking through my long cardigan -- boo! And I hate my back fat!

I just need to be patient and quit the body hate which won't do me much good anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stephkp
Stats: 265/199.6/140
WOE: my own
Start Date: last year
Gail I have days like that all the time. It seems like I am losing weight everywhere but my stomach. I wear body shapers all the time to slim my stomach pooch.

I am condiment queen too and I can't eat any meat without some kind of sauce on it. I am not a big fan of the low sugar ketchup either and the Walden Farms sauces just have an "off" taste. I do use their bbq sauce as a marinade and it is okay that way. I love terryaki sauce but since it is high carb I avoid it now. I guess I need to find a recipe to make my own.

One thing I have noticed with my weight loss is sizes are different from when I was this weight 9 years ago. Their are some jeans that I wore then that don't fit me yet. I weigh the same as I did then. The only thing I can think of is that since then I had my daughter five years ago. That must have changed my body some.

One thing I try to do is remind myself that I am beautiful no matter what size I am. I am doing this for my health, the skinnier me is just an added bonus!

Stef
stephkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Oh, man... back fat. Hate it, hate, hate it. Yes, I have those days ALL THE TIME!

Have you had a proper bra fitting? I had my first about five ago and it was a revelation. I was wearing the wrong band and cup size (who knew I was a C cup?!) and I had back fat even when I wasn't all that fat. I've been back a few times (thank you fluctuating weight) and every time they find me bras that eliminate the bulges. I highly recommend it! You'll spend some money-- really great bras are not cheap, but it's worth it!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Steph, thank you for the reassurance. I have a bunch of teriyaki sauce recipes I can share with you. You can also a buy a decent teriyaki sauce made by Trinity Hill Farms on the Netrition site too.

The first two teriyaki sauce recipes are super easy. One involves 1 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of dry sherry, l clove of garlic and 1TBS of grated fresh ginger that you combine -- this is from Dana Carpenter's cookbooks. The other is just combining soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and either Stevia or Splenda to taste.

This next one is more complicated -- it is 1 2/3 cup of soy sauce, 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1 cup of Splenda, 1 clove of garlic, 2 inches of grated ginger, 3 green onions chopped and 1/4 cup of Brown Sugar Twin (you can also find that on the Netrition site). You put this is a sauce pan, bring to a boil and the simmer for 30 minutes and then strain through a sieve or a cheesecloth. It makes about 2 cups of teriyaki sauce at 2.7 carbs per serving.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Ann, yes, I really need to get a proper bra. I am large busted even when I am skinny --and as one gets older, you need more support!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ann, yes, I really need to get a proper bra. I am large busted even when I am skinny --and as one gets older, you need more support!
Find somewhere that specializes in professional bra fittings. It will change your life (and your girls will thank you for it).
Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

I am all for the bra fitting! Buying propper fitting bra's is fun, and it can make you feel great when you have your girls pushed up to the right place.

And I know where you come from with the love for food. We love food too. The Husband likes to cook and eat nice things. That is also what started the gain here. Enjoying the good life and all that.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Quote:
By the way, is that your Boston Terrier in your avatar? I love that breed and that particular dog in your photo is so adorable.
Yep, that is my dog Echo. She is super sweet and loving and full of personality, easy to train and her favorite word is "eat". I have shied away from cameras that I do not have a recent pic so I use hers.

I am one who has to watch calories because of a very sluggish metabolism. I found some Boar's Head Turkey Pepperoni. It tastes like the real deal, not like turkey, and it has 10g of protein per 1oz. So I can have twice as much for the same calories as regular pepperoni.

For other slimmers other than Spanx look at Slimpressions. They have a good assortment of shapers, still pricey though. I have found shapers at Walmart and Target which I am using while I am dropping weight.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gail - I still have those days when I just feel fat (and think I look it in the mirror too). It's so weird, how our minds can't keep up with our weight loss. Or our gains! I thought I looked ok in 2011 at 137 lbs. Probably because my husband kept telling me I looked good, as I gained over 30 lbs! He's just as blind to my size as I am. Back in May, when I hit 128, he said "you actually look pretty good at that weight, if you want to quit now." I maintained around 125 all summer, thinking I looked thin enough, then went on vacation in September. When I saw myself in the pictures, I almost cried at how chunky I still looked! Much bigger than the last time I weighed 125. So I've lost most of the bulging gut and a tiny bit of the thunder thighs since then. And this weekend, DH told me I'm at a good size now. His opinion is suspect, to say the least. I need to see a picture.

Even the store mirrors all seem to lie. Might as well try to determine your size in the carnival Fun House!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, Echo is so precious (and I love that name) and I love it that her favorite word is "eat." That is a doggie after my own heart! I just love Boston Terriers -- a friend of mine has a male BT and his name is Slate -- OMG, he is such a cutie. That turkey pepperoni sounds really good. I need to find some new snacks. I end up by not eating all day until I go home for dinner and that's not good.

NH, you are at such a great weight that I'm afraid I must agree with your husband. You must look terrific! But I think we tend to judge ourselves way too harshley. Agree about your carnival funhouse comment -- LOL!

For tonight's dinner we are having green beans sauteed in garlic and olive oil as well as a really good herbed baked chicken. You dip boneless chicken breasts in melted butter and then dredge the chicken in a mixture of fresh ground romano cheese and dried herbs (I use basil, rosemary, parsley and a bit of sage and time) as well as salt & pepper. Top the each chicken breast with a few spoonfuls of butter and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. I know the extra butter sounds like overkill but it actually makes the chicken super moist and juicy. It almost takes like really good fried chicken without any of the awful breading that we are not supposed to be eating on this plan!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Oh, how I miss fried chicken. Haven't had it in years, but I still crave it.

Gail - I'm only 5' 2". I have a 29" waist and 20" thighs. They used to be 28" and 19" and I wasn't even thin then. I weighed 128. I've lost so much muscle that 116 looks bigger on me now than 128 did 10 years ago. My New Year's resolution will be to build more muscle, so maybe I can eat more than 1200 calories without gaining.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

NH, I think you can eat more than 1200 calories if you are building muscle. 29 inch waist and 20 inch thighs are pretty darn good, my friend. You look better than you think but I can totally relate to the whole issue. Think your New Year's resolution is a good one -- and one that you will achieve!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Tonight is our holiday party and there probably won't be alot of low carb food to eat. It is being held at this very trendy place in Boston called the Beehive. I will try to nurse a glass of champagne and socialize --- and then leave early so I can go home and make myself an omelette! I don't want to cheat!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Good luck tonight! Enjoy the party for the people and talk so much you never have a chance to eat!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote