LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #1231
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattmich6
Stats: 222/211/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Hi Gail!

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Your dinner with the porkchips sounds devine and the fettucine with the brie yumm! Do you use the Dreamfields Pasta? I just found the spaghetti in my local grocery store. I was going to try it tonight.

This past weekend we also stayed in also and watched lots of TV. My son loves the Olympics.
My husband and I also go into "House of Cards" on Netflix. Lou is Capitol Police Officer so the show is interesting to watch as it takes place in the Capitol.

Have a great LC day!!! xoxo
Melissa
mattmich6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #1232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Sounds like the perfect weekend. Since you are a foodie, you should check out the new restaurant in Boston that my sister works at, Arden and Harlow. She can't say enough about the chef and the food... And the drinks... And the decor.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #1233
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Melissa, we eat the Carb Nada and Ciao Carb pastas that you can buy from Netrition. These brands have less carbs than Dreamfields but other folks LOVE Dreamfields. Lisa (GreenGeeny) eats Dreamfields and still loses tons of weight AND she loves the taste -- so that's a pretty great compliment in my book! That is so cool that your husband is a Capitol Police Officer -- what an interesting profession! He must have some great stories! We have been meaning try "House of Cards" -- a bunch of my work friends watch it and LOVE it. One of them binge watched the new season all weekend and said it was really compelling. I really need to watch it!

Trish, now I am going to go try that restaurant! It sounds great! Thanks for letting me know about it! I love the whole experience of restaurants -- especially nice décor!

Last edited by GailyGail; 02-18-2014 at 04:01 PM..
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #1234
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
You have been a busy girl despite the wonders of winter! And it will be over soon! I just realized that the time changes in a few weeks and that made me happy! March 9th I think. More daylight hours means warmer weather is right around the corner and DH and I can start getting in an after dinner neighborhood walk!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 AM   #1235
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
I love Dreamfields and if you portion control it doesnt make you gain, I heard Dr Oz the other day and he said you should never reheat cooked pasta it makes more gluten and is more fattening? I thought that was sort of interesting also to always make sure it is cooked al dente not overdone! I am not a huge fan of Dr Oz but that caught my ear!

Gail love hope you are thawing out! The Olympics are a good diversion from all this snow they are fun to watch together! I decided I could do curling or Bobsled, I think those are the only sports I can be a heifer and do, LOL
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 AM   #1236
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, please, you are not a heifer - you are in great shape. Watching the Olympics is fun but I am so ready for spring. Susan, I hope you are right about the time change! I need more sunlight although it is gradually getting better.

One of our favorite local bakeries (called When Pigs Fly) makes this amazing low carb bread -- only 6 net carbs per slice. So I made cream of tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner last night. Really hit the spot during a cold snowy day.

Amber, that is very interesting about not reheating cooked pasta and also keeping it al dente. I will have to remember that for sure. Hope everyone has a great day! xo
Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #1237
Major LCF Poster!

Yes Gail! The time change is coming and that means spring is near! I'm trying to keep this in mind in order to make it through each day!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:14 AM   #1238
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, I love your optimism and I truly hope spring is near. I really want to go outdoors and enjoy fresh air and sunshine. I am having a hard time staying on plan consistently --I know I should not make the weather an excuse but I do eat more in front of the TV when it is bitter cold and snowing out. It is such a bad habit and I need to jettison it right away.

I hope everyone has a good day today. xo
Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #1239
Senior LCF Member

I agree Gail! I def eat more watching TV when its so cold out. March is soon! That marks the month Spring is in. I can't wait:-)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #1240
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/164/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Hi Gail! Glad you're doing well!

I've found these organic black bean noodles that are low(er) in carbs but higher in protein than most low carb pastas. (I think 1/2 cup is 11g protein, 8g carbs, and 7g fiber). The only ingredients are organic black beans and water. They are made in China, but they taste really good in southwestern or asian dishes or tossed with oil.... not as great with pasta sauce, however, because it tastes so unexpected, compared to Dreamfields or zoodles or spaghetti squash.

I think we're *finally* finished with snow in the DC area! I'm ready for spring too. I tried to make chicken and low carb dumplings and it was a complete, gritty, slimy fiasco! LOL! Way too much konjac thickener! Your LC grilled cheese and tomato soup sounds so much better =)

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #1241
Major LCF Poster!

Alisa, you look so beautiful! My gosh, your weight loss has been so successful and you look fabulous! Great to see you too! And, I will definitely try those organic black bean noodles. You must be so relieved to be finished with snow. Melissa is from DC too (that is MattMich above -- the pretty lady with the adorable daughter). Unfortunately, we are getting more in Boston later next week. We will have nice weather (well, relatively speaking, 40 degrees/sunny today but rainy tomorrow) over the next few days and then it is back to SNOW by next Wednesday!

Oh well. I am totally craving spring right now. Longer sunnier days, warmer temperatures, green leaves on trees, flowers -- the smell and sight of them. At least we will all be super grateful by the time spring rolls around!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 AM   #1242
Major LCF Poster!

Spring is in the air! Spring is in the air! Spring is in the air!

And salads are in my future because I can't lose any weight! Gonna shake it up to shock my body! Will it work? But it's worth a try!
I'm getting away from my kitchen and can choose what I want and need to eat and someone else will prepare it! DH can eat whatever he wants - I'm not responsible for his choices. I feel liberated ! What a good day!

Sorry Gail - I didn't mean to take over your journal .........but I had one of those AHA MOMENTS!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #1243
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, I am glad you had an AHA moment right here! And it is awesome! Yes, you can eat whatever you want and someone else will prepare it for you on vacation! You are going to have so much fun in the Florida Keys. So glad you are having a good day too!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #1244
Major LCF Poster!

Nice day today - first it was lovely out -- sunny, around 40-50 degrees all day. I went for a nice long walk around the coast. Yes, there were still patches of snow and ice but hopefully that will go away soon. Wait, what am I saying? We are getting more snow on Wednesday. But I will take this nice weather while I can and be grateful for it.

I got a Keratin treatment this afternoon and then went to prepare a nice meal for Tony. He was up at 3:00 AM to go to work this morning and worked from 4:00 AM to 2:00 PM. So figured I cook a nice meal like a Sunday dinner type thing. I made seafood pasta and it was all low carb. Here is how I did it:

*Cook low carb pasta (I love Carb Nada because it is super low in carbs but folks love Dreamfields

*Sautee 6 TBS of butter over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and fresh chopped garlic. After a few minutes, add 1-2 cups of sliced mushrooms and 1 pound of scallops. Season with salt, pepper and a little garlic salt.

*Add precooked shrimp (or if the shrimp are not cooked, add them the same time as the scallops)

*After a few minutes, stir in 1/2 cup dry white wine, salt, pepper, garlic powder

*When the pasta is done, drain and place in a pot over low heat. Add 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream and one cup of either grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese. Stir well.

*Once the seafood is cooked, add the seafood/mushroom mixture into the pot. Stir well over low heat until everything is coated. Add chopped fresh parsley and stir.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #1245
Major LCF Poster!

Another nice day here -- it will reach 56 degrees here today which I will take happily. We are doing home improvement today -- a couple of rooms need to be repainted. The painter is coming at 10:30 this morning so I am scrambling to get a 5 mile walk in and get the place cleaned up before he arrives!

Then it is time for a manicure and a trip to the grocery store. I bought some cooked lobster meat at the seafood market yesterday so I think we will make a Lobster Cobb Salad. The Barefoot Contessa featured this recipe on her show recently and I was smitten. She layers cooked lobster meat with leafy salad greens, avocado, blue cheese, tomatoes and bacon, topping it with a fresh lemon vinaigrette.

I will check in with everyone later. Hope everyone has a great day today!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #1246
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
OMG...how envious I am of your seafood!!! I wish I lived closer to the ocean for that reason alone Last year, I took the boys to Myrtle Beach, in anticipation of the fresh seafood, and was deeply disappointed. Every restaurant there seemed to "deep fry" everything. Ugh. I wasn't even lc then, and I was craving fresh seafood. We get an amazing perch here from the lake, but mostly everything else is frozen and thawed at teh store.

Just like you, we have hit a heat wave But, just like you, it is a tease, because snow and ice are on their way again. Oy vey. I can not wait for the time change, that will speed this spring thing up some!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #1247
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Greeny Myrtle Beach is Soutern so everything is fried, but if you go back look for a restaurant called Mr. Fish! It is so good, sushi tons of fresh fish you can broiled, fried, whatever you like, that is our favorite place in MB.

Gail it is so warm!!! I was out on my deck in just my sweatshirt soaking in the sun surrounded by snow piles but it felt so good!!!!!!!!!! I can see buds on some of the bushes so a few more weeks it will be better!

Lobster salad, when I see Barefoot Contessa make that I want to lick the TV! Yum!!!!! I asked Tony to get me Chicken breasts at Costco I was going to make the goat cheese stuffed breasts I made before and turns out he got chicken tenderloins, LOL So I am thinking maybe curry and a big salad! Our friend had a party last night and she is the best cook, I ate way to much, I ate all the meats but then stuffed in all the desserts! LOL Then I won the prize a huge bag of truffles, but I am taking them in to Nan at the home to share with the nurses so I dont eat them! Our friend had cypress floors so she spent 15,000 to have them resanded and had a slipper party, my pink sequin slippers won glitziest!!! LOL

Hang in there, I am ready to join the new gym and shut my trap, it is dire here! I last a few days then cave, I must get my head on right!
Bejewelme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #1248
Major LCF Poster!

Lisa!!! Great to see you! Do you have any fish markets in your area? You must have some in the nearest big city. My dad was a seafood wholesaler -- he was the first to air ship live lobsters and seafood to the Midwest and all over the country so I know there must be fresh seafood near you. Maybe I can help you find something? My brother still works in the industry so maybe I can hook you up?

Yay Amber! Of course you won because you are super glamorous and have great taste! Go you! Goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts sounds delicious -- can you please post the recipe? Chicken curry is great too - we are actually making that tomorrow! I found a recipe for a great low carb Thai curry sauce that would be ideal for chicken and vegetables. I think the me, you, Lisa (Geeny) and a few others need to publish our own low carb cookbook. We are always coming up with new ideas for low carb meals!

Guys, the Lobster Cobb Salad is SO GOOD -- the lemon vinaigrette is really what makes it and it is so easy to make. You just combine extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, Dijon mustard and salt & pepper. Just the fresh arugula and dressing are delicious alone!

Isn't this weather glorious? I mean really, it is just 50 degrees and overcast here but you would think that we were in Antigua because everyone is outside, surfing, walking and enjoying the fresh air.

Amber, I bought a big thing of Italian Crème today and thought of you -- LOL! Have an awesome Sunday afternoon and evening my Lovelies!

Last edited by GailyGail; 02-23-2014 at 01:50 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #1249
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Stats: 279/272/180
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Ok, first, keratin treatments. Let's discuss. My hair is perfect in the winter - wavy and easy to style - and an utter MONSTER in the summer. Poodle frizz all the way. I haven't done a straightening treatment b/c I want some wave, not totally straight. My hair is super fine so if it gets too straight it looks like I have no hair.

How wavy is your hair and how do you like the Keratin?

Second, I am so excited for lobster season. We don't get it as easily or cheaply as you do in MA, but we do have local lobster and my seafood market will steam it right off the boat for me. The salad sounds insane. They make a similar fresh crab cobb salad at Cipriani's - a very posh restaurant near my house. It's so good and it's only on the menu in the warmer weather.

We had gorgeous weather today too, but I still can't see the dang ground!

Portia's Journal

1/1/14: 279
3/20/14: 274
3/24/14: 272

Pounds to goal: 93
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 AM   #1250
Major LCF Poster!

Jes, my hair is somewhat like yours -- wavy and sometimes frizzy -- only it is worse. I have long color-treated hair that gets very dry all year long. This morning will be the first time I shampoo and style since the Keratin treatment on Saturday (my hairdresser said to skip washing/styling yesterday so that the treatment sinks in better). Once I style it today, I will let you know how it goes. My hairdresser said it would cut my blowdrying time in half while making my hair shinier and healthier - and without any frizz!

The lobster cobb salad is beyond good. We made mini sandwiches out of it with toasted low-carb bread and it was a real treat!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #1251
Senior LCF Member

Gail I too saw that Barefoot Contessa episode with the lobster salad my mouth was watering!!! I must get to the seafood market asap!!

Funny you are talking about the keratin treatment. I am getting that done after work tonight. Glad it will help my frizzy hair LOL

We also had some nice weather in North VA. Just gorgeous out with the sun shining ahhhh!!!! I see Alicia is from North VA. Where are you from? Thanks Gail for the kinds words about me and my daughter. You are so pretty too:-)

Have a wonderful LC day!!!

Melissa
Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #1252
Major LCF Poster!

Jes, after washing and blow drying my hair this morning, I can tell you that I love the Keratin treatment! Totally worth it! It won't take out all of your wave but it will take some of the wave/curl out but you get tons of volume, body and shine in return. My hair literally like Christie Brinkley's 1990 supermodel hair right now -- very full, voluminous and shiny with a hint of wave and no dryness, frizz or split ends. Two thumbs up.

My hairdresser said you need to get the treatments every 2-3 months and buy shampoo/conditioner meant for Keratin treated hair -- so it can add up but I think it is worth it. You don't need to go to a salon for blow dries after this because you can blow your hair yourself and it will have that nice salon finish.

Melissa, I hope your Keratin treatment goes well tonight! It is so exciting to get a new beauty treatment. I am such a beauty junkie that I could go on and on about this stuff.

Hope everyone has a great day! xo
Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #1253
Major LCF Poster!

Guys, we are getting more SNOW tomorrow and Thursday -- can you believe it? So glad I am going to San Francisco next week to escape this cold!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #1254
Senior LCF Member

North VA just got snow this morning. They didn't even delay the schools yet they delayed them when it was too cold out! I think they ran out of days to use and we were using the makeup days also! But no reason to put a child in danger!!!

ooh San Fran have fun!!! Are you heading to any of the vineyards? I have my cousin's wedding in August in Napa Valley. I can't wait;-)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #1255
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/127 5'2"
WOE: moderation
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
Morning Gail !

So glad you are getting out of the cold for some R & R time in the sun ! Hang in there ~~ it's almost here !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #1256
Major LCF Poster!

Ladies, San Francisco is strictly work. We are meeting with media outlets like CNN, Time Magazine, CNBC that all have offices for how they report on technology companies. I fly in tomorrow very early in the morning and fly home on Wednesday morning. It should be fine. The temperatures are supposed to be in the 60s so I am glad for that!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #1257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BellaRose
Gail..If you read this before you leave

Sorry to let you know that you'll have rain
in the (city) SF on Monday and when you
leave on Wednesday. Should be in 50's and 60's.

Even thro it's work hope you have some free time
to enjoy.
BellaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #1258
Blabbermouth!!!

hope you enjoy the warmer weather and have a safe trip !!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #1259
Major LCF Poster!

Even though your trip is for work, enjoy the warmer temps and the escape from Boston! I hope you have an opportunity to enjoy some shopping and sightseeing! Safe travels!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #1260
Blabbermouth!!!

just checking in...... everything ok ? Hope so !