Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #961
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Your Browns are killing us. Yet I will personally kill the dirty Brown player that hurt my beloved Rob Gronkowski! He is out for the season with a busted knee due to that dirty play. Boo! I wish I could tear that dirty player limb by limb -- he went right for Gronk's knees. Sorry -- but there is nothing worse than an angry Virgo on the warpath!

The pizza turned out pretty good. I mean it is not a gourmet crust -- if you are a "crust person" this is not for you. But it does the job like alot of other low carb products. And we made sure that the low carb toppings were the star of the show. We got sausage and pepperoni from our Italian butcher and good mozzerella and ricotta. I also find that the Classico brand of tomato sauce is the lowest in carbs and of course, fresh garlic always helps immensley! I would recommend getting the Great Low Carb pizza dough for sure.
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
I am prepping my portobello mushroom pizzas as we speak.. All the toppings cut up (including BACON!!). Will let you know tomorrow how they turned out. Gail, I am glad your pizza was good. Your shrimp sounds divine!!!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #963
Major LCF Poster!

Woke up early to lots of snow and TOM -- not a great combination-- so I decided to work from home today. The snow has turned to a sleet mix making driving somewhat treacherous. Oh well -- winter is upon us!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #964
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/127 5'2"
WOE: moderation
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
That's a great option Gail ! Stay home and snuggle up in some comfy warm clothes ~~ they will never know lol ! Glad you don't have to drive in that weather.
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #965
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Laura -- I am a real wimp about driving in the snow even though I have lived in the northeast for most of my life.

I tested for ketosis after yesterday's pizza and I am still in it but the strips are a pink color, not purple. So I am still in ketosis just not as strongly. Oh well. I think I ate too much on-plan food. Usually I am careful about how much I eat but yesterday I was really hungry for some reason - probably because TOM was coming on and I did not eat much the day before (Saturday) -- just a small grilled chicken sandwich and one cup of salad. So I made up for it yesterday, unfortunately - LOL.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #966
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
All is well Gail...ketosis is ketosis. I was told once that it doesn't matter if it's purple or pink...that only means how concentrated your urine is. That the color is based on how much water you drank the day before. Either you are in ketosis or not. I don't know if this is necessarily true or not, but it works for me
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #967
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Lisa! I tested again twice today and I was in dark purple ketosis so I feel better -- but I started drinking more water just to make sure I was not dehydrated. Thanks for your wise words and advice, Lis!

So, I am loving working at home today! It is so cozy with candles burning, the tree up and all lit, our main meal cooking on the stove. I am making the low carb chicken pot pie (no crust of course) so our home smells like juicy chicken cooking in thyme, tarragon, heavy cream and sherry and cinnamon, nutmeg and roasted marshmellows (from the candles). I could get used to this but too bad I can't!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #968
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I want to come hang out with you! That sounds scrumptious!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #969
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/164/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
Congrats on deep ketosis!

I love making the crustless and casserole low carb comfort food stuff. Sounds good!
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #970
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, I wish you could! Alisa, how are you? It is great to see you back!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #971
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Your day at home sounded wonderful! It's nice to get a relaxing break like that. I would bake up a storm in December - pies, cookies, cakes, muffins. Not doing it this year and I miss it. It just doesn't seem like the holidays without all those wonderful aromas in the house. Are you working at home again today?
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #972
Major LCF Poster!

Missy, no, I am back in the office. We are actually busy this time of year but it is fine. Have you thought of baking low carb goodies with almond or coconut flour or CarbQuik? Linda Sue has some great recipes and so does Sugar Free Sheila. Lots of low carb goodies taste as good as the real thing too!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #973
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad you enjoyed your day yesterday Gail ! Jammie day !

I didn't make much sweets last year either, used to make tons ! But, this year I decided to go ahead and make them all...... and make some LC ones for me ( freeze them ). I just missed doing it

No temptation ! That's the best part for me.

Have a great day at work Gail !
Old 12-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #974
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
...Have you thought of baking low carb goodies with almond or coconut flour or CarbQuik? Linda Sue has some great recipes and so does Sugar Free Sheila. Lots of low carb goodies taste as good as the real thing too!
I have tried several of the lc recipes from LS. I love them, but sadly my family does not. They are all still addicted to sugars and high carb food tastes. I baked several desserts including the no crust pumpkin pie for TG and no one would even try them. So I ate what I could and then finally had to just toss them out. I didn't even think that I could freeze them. My family eats low carb meals when I cook but my dh will get treats on the way to work or after and my dd will go to Grandma's and get her fill of chocolates and treats. So just better for me not to even make them. It just seems like to much trouble to reconfigure the recipes for 1-2 servings just for me.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #975
Senior LCF Member

Hello Gail and friends! I have all the ingredients for low carb baking.. just no motivation right now. How delicious would a chocolate or pumpkin muffin be!! I make some killer ones out of the Maria Emmerich cookbook. C'mon Judy - get off your rear!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #976
Major LCF Poster!

Judy, don't be so hard on yourself. It is difficult to get motivated when there is so much to do over the holiday season and it is freezing out to boot. We are getting lots of snow here today too. I am in a grumpy mood right now and would so love to eat high carb food to make myself feel better but I am NOT going to go there. Even though I want to!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #977
Senior LCF Member

Personally, I have nothing special to do because it's the holiday season. That's part of the problem for me.. Okay, not going to have a pathetic pity party here!!

It's just the cold weather and SAD (seasonal affective disorder) hitting.. I haven't been out of the house in 3 days and really have no desire to go out. However, I am having a "Sacred Circle" Women's spirituality group meeting and dinner out with my besties in a few hours.. I wish I had a little genie that could shower me, dry/style my hair and put make-up on me... oh, and rush me off to my meeting and the restaurant without me having to brave the cold.

Just a few weeks ago I was vacationing in Florida. I should have saved that for February.. Still may plan something though..

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #978
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Gail have you seen the recipe for the Asian pork patties over in the recipe thread? I thought you and Tony might like those - it's supposed to be like the inside of potstickers. Looks delish!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #979
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Julia! Lisa (GreenGeeny) posted a similiar recipe on her journal that I have been dying to try too -- they sound fabulous. I am having a tough time now. The weather is cold and work feels oppressive -- so I feel like cheating! Weight loss is very slow and I am feeling demotivated -- that is not good. I need to do something to get myself motivated again. Like I don't want to look like a big blob a week from Friday at our office Christmas party (even though I feel like a very grumpy blob these days...)
Old 12-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #980
Senior LCF Member

Maybe it is time to splurge on yourself right now to lift your mood. Shopping, manicure/pedicure, massage - do something to reward yourself for staying on plan and losing the weight you have lost. "A little ME time" usually pulls me out of a slump or grumpy mood.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #981
Blabbermouth!!!

Sorry you are having a tough day Gail... (hugs). Just think how much fun you will have at the party, not having to worry. Knowing that you are Healthy and look Amazing in your dress !

You are an inspiration to us all and your meals are so yummy.... please go easy on yourself and know you are Loved <3
Old 12-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #982
Major LCF Poster!

I definitely second the "ME time!" It always helps me feel better too.
I think I pinned that same dumpling-less dumpling recipe the other day. It looks and sounds delicious!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #983
Major LCF Poster!

Awww you ladies are great! You already made me feel much better. I do have a manicure planned for Saturday so that will help. MJ and Laura: thanks for the suggestions.

Alisa, it is GREAT to see you! How are you? I am going to make that Asian pork patty recipe too. Sounds great and I like keeping my food varied to avoid boredom!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #984
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Gail. I am doing really great! 21 lbs down =) I'm glad you have some Me Time planned out! I'm going to do more of this too now. Last week, I got my hair cut and nails done for the first time since last spring, and it was great! I tried a new gel last time, no more acrylics. I like it so far. I feel much better after doing that!

I love trying new recipes and having a bunch of really good ones to pull from, so I can't wait to hear how someone likes the pork dippers.

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Old 12-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #985
Major LCF Poster!

Alisa, 21 pounds down is FANTASTIC. You must look even more beautiful. So happy for you! I love trying new recipes too -- it keeps things from getting stale and boring. Glad got your hair cut and nails done -- that always makes me feel better.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #986
Senior LCF Member

Sorry you are feeling down Gail! How can a beautiful person like you in that lovely black dress who has lost so much weight feel like a blob? I also get the "oppressive" nature of life at the office. I really feel for you! It's been 7 years since I left the insurance business.. but I remember it vividly. If I am ever in a bad mood I should recall how I felt more often than not back then.

I felt down yesterday.. better today.. I didn't think it was related but since I was a tad disappointed with my weigh in, maybe that triggered my blues. I've seen so many people here on LCF disappointed in the scale # who are upset. I try not to let that happen, which is why I don't weigh daily. Oh, and I also took 5,000 IU of Vitamin D. VERY good for the winter S.A.D. symptoms.

It's supposed to be colder today than it's been in 2 years. It's not even officially winter yet! I spent some time looking up flights to Vegas and Florida and looked at cruises that were on sale. That lifted my spirits.. don't know what I'm going to do this winter, but I'm going to do something even if I have to go myself!

I hope you are feeling better.. Once you get home and put on the Xmas tree lights and have some dinner with your honey, all will be good!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #987
Major LCF Poster!

Awww thanks Judy! You are such a good friend! And speaking of beautiful, well, right back at you! I am sorry that you felt down yesterday -- I can totally relate though. Did the Vitamin D help? I really believe the SAD is real and can cause terrible depression.

It is freezing here in Boston too and we are supposed to get a major snowstorm over the weekend. Good for you for looking into Florida trips and cruises. Vegas too! I am planning an event for one of my clients in Vegas for January - and boy would I like to go just to get out of the COLD. This time of year, I start missing Miami -- I used to live there and it was always so gorgeous from November to March -- just warm yet mild, not too hot, the days were just sun-perfect and the nights were balmy.

We will get through this Judy -- the cold winter, the dieting, the slow weight loss -- we will prevail and emerge victorious once the spring rolls around!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #988
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope you are feeling better Gail. I take Vit D daily too, maybe it would help you ?

Hey, aren't you the one that made pecans ( spicy I think ) ? I am thinking it was you, I want to make some for Christmas eve when everyone is here and we do snacks/finger foods. If not you , I will try to remember who..... hmmmm

Went shopping today ! Did good and got lots of gifts out of the way
Old 12-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #989
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Hey sweets stopping in to say hi!!!! This weather is ughghg, we go to NYC this weekend and now more snow, ughghg, I like NYC for about 24 hours and then I am ready to get out more so at Christmas when everything is so crowded.
Bejewelme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #990
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, great to see you, hun! I hear you about the weather -- it is freezing cold here too. I hope you have fun in NYC -- I love the holidays in NYC -- so festive and beautiful! You will have a good time this weekend.

Laura, here is my favorite spiced nuts recipe -- if is a low carb version of a recipe from Emeril that I love and it is super simple. The nuts are both sweet and spicy. If you don't want the sweet taste, then omit the Splenda brown sugar (but it tastes better with it). You can order Splenda brown sugar on Netrition and also find it at the grocery store. It is a great product that I use frequently in Asian stirfrys, low carb BBQ sauces and I also sprinkle it on delicata squash before I roasted them. Very versatile and worth the money IMHO. Here is the recipe:

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups unsalted mixed nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, peanuts and almonds (any one or combo of your choice)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Mix spices and reserve. Heat the nuts in a dry skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to toast, about 4 minutes. Add the butter and cook, stirring, until the nuts begin to darken, about 1 minute. Add the spices, the Splenda brown sugar, 1 tablespoon water, and the salt and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and the nuts are glazed, about 5 minutes.

Remove the nuts from the heat and transfer to a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, separating them with a fork. Let the nuts stand until cooled and the Splenda brown sugar has hardened, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container.