Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Good morning everyone! I am nursing a coffee on this very chilly morning in Boston. We have a good Sunday planned. After I exercise and get a manicure, I am going to do some work while Tony cooks! (Don't feel that badly for him -- he will have NFL football on all day long). We went to an Italian butcher yesterday and got these lovely pork chops and sausage. I made a marinara sauce last night (with no sugar!) so we will have that long with a salad. Good meal for a cold day.

What is everyone else up to?
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
I've been looking for the lowest calorie/lowest carb recipes I can find for Christmas goodies. I'm going to plug everything into ****** and figure out in advance how much of what I can afford. I don't think I can just skip the desserts at Christmas time, but I'm terrified that I'll start sliding down the slippery slope again! DH will expect some goodies anyway, and he'll be home for the whole week.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #63
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Well where the heck have I been to just now realize you have a journal!

What an awesome way to spend a Sunday!!!!
I would love some "chilly" here instead of bright bright sun and 80 degrees!

Have a wonderful day!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Ah a manicure, that sounds like fun! That is a good plan for a sunday.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stephkp
Stats: 265/199.6/140
WOE: my own
Start Date: last year
That sounds like a relaxing Sunday. I won't be getting any work out of my hubby today. He has been sick all weekend, running a fever and his chest is congested. I may have a mani/pedi when I reach 205. We will probably be watching football most of the day as well.

Have a great day!

Stephanie
stephkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

NH, if you Google "Chocolate Coconut Pecan Cookie Bars," a great low carb recipe from Dana Carpenter, you will find a GREAT Christmas cookie recipe that comes in at 9 carbs per bar. Also, Linda Sue's recipes are killer and you can find them on this board. She has tons of low carb cake, jello, pudding, trifle and cookie recipes. And, lots of folks make these cream cheese clouds that are ultra low carb (think it is cream cheese, splenda and vanilla flavoring refrigerated for a while until they reach desired consistency).

Danielle: LOL! I am glad you found me because I really like your journal! How is school going? I know you have tons of good stuff going on this holiday season too! I think you are an NFL Wife like me and Amber --LOL. Please feel fortunate that you are in beautiful, sunny Arizona -- we are heading into a cold, snowy winter I'm afraid.

Velvet: we love Sundays! What are you up to today? It is always a good day to relax and indulge as far as I'm concerned!

Steph: I am so sorry that your hubby is sick. That is not fun. Do you guys root for the Kansas City Chiefs or the Saint Louis Rams -- or another team? We are huge Patriots fans, of course, for better or for worse! You should treat yourself to a mani and pedi even before you reach 205 because you are doing so well!

I am finishing Christmas shopping and right now I am wrapping everything (ugh) while I enjoy a nice glass of red wine. I don't mind football blaring on TV today (you grow to love it because you can't fight it -- LOL) because I have all kinds of candles burning so our living room smells like cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel and vanilla. Lazy Sunday indeed.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Gail.

I usually make Christmas Pecans, PB Fudge and pumpkin nut cookies, but I can't stay out of them! I have to find some things I don't like so much.

Can't believe you're already finishing your Christmas shopping! Every year, I tell myself I'm going to do it in November and every year, I barely finish in time.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #68
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Ugh, I am eating too much of this low carb chicken casserole. It is good and it is low carb but I feel like a huge sow having another portion. One great thing about low carb is that you have one portion and BOOM you are full. Now here I am eating away, watching the "Nashville" TV show on demand (OMG - I love that show. I am a East Coast person and not a country music lover but this show is fantastic). I am going to put the fork down and make a cup of herbal tea. Brush my teeth and call it a day.

What is it about night eating in front of the TV that is so joyous, fun, seductive? It is a favorite activity/bad thing to do and I hang my head in shame admitting that in this forum. Oh goodness, what I would not give for a salty snack mix (any kind of salty snacks will do -- love the combo of corn chips, mini pretzels, corn nuts, cheese puffs, asian crackers, wasabi peas, Sun Chips, just any kind of mix will do for me.) That is my bete noire. Imagine, stupid snack mix pushing me around. I should be ashamed.

Snack mix: F*** you. Sorry for the swear, folks. And I did not really swear: I really said Fool you. Snack mix, you mean old bully. You will NOT get the best of me.

Ladies, for you who have conquered the food demons, please share you stories and advice of how you conquered the food craving demon. All insights are welcome. And gents are welcome too. Although the only gent I know on this board is the wonderful Z, who is a hero and an amazing person who will reach his goal in no time!

Hugs, kisses and good vibes to everyone tonight. May tomorrow be a great day for everyone!
Aww Shucks... You're always entirely too nice - but that's not a complaint I've really appreciated your company on this journey.

With all the great recipes I see you coming up with, there won't be a moment's suffering on the way to your goal. This one stuck out in particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail
I usually order this fabulous Chicken Romano dish at the restaurant -- which is chunks of chicken and homemade pasta in a delicious pink sauce. So I re-created it by sauteeing chicken, shallots, mushrooms and zucchini in olive oil and garlic and then added a low-sugar marinara sauce. Once that heated up, I added a splash of heavy cream to the mix.
Yum!

A generous splash of Presidential 10 year Porto in the marinara would really set that off nicely. Of course, that means you'd want to simmer the marinara for at least 40 minutes (after bringing it up to temperature), in order to burn off most of the excess alcohol. But realistically, you should always simmer your tomato based sauces for as long as you can bear to wait.

It really seems like you're doing some great work incorporating your eating plan into a lifestyle that you can sustain. You've found your flex room, and drawn your battle lines where you could dig in for the long haul. To me, that indicates that you're thinking of this way of eating as a lifestyle and not a diet. Not some ideal to be pursued.

Vague ideals are ineffective, because they are amorphous and undefined. Consider that old standby: "Eat less, and exercise more". I'm sure we've all tried to live some variation of that axiom at some point or another. But it doesn't mean anything - Eat less than what? Exercise more than what?

You've internalized your eating strategy, and this is reflected in your execution. You're taking an active role in finding ways to make low carb something that you can do for life, instead of some culinary gulag from which you will spend every day yearning to escape.

I believe that you will be very successful in this endeavor.

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

Aw thanks! School is a pain in my behind is what it is! I have zero clue what it is I wanna do and going to school to go to school is burning me out. Couple more weeks and we'll be Vegas bound, I can't wait! NFL wife---good term Altho' DH usually misses all the games because of work so I'm usually left to watch on my own..
Sunny AZ..meh. I'm so over it.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Danielle -- LOL! You are going to have a great time in Las Vegas. I was just there for work in late October. The weather will be nice when you get there and there are so many things to do besides gambling. They have so many great restaurants now and the shopping is pretty terrific too! If you have time when you go, try to check out the Cosmopolitan Hotel for a drink or a quick visit. It is one of the newer hotels and it is very pretty outside and inside -- not the typical Vegas place.

Z, thank you for noticing my commitment and focus on finding low carb recipes that are really delicious and satisfying! I feel that is a good strategy for me along with regular exercise. I have to eat this way for the rest of my life or else risk not just a re-gain of weight but potential health problems so 100% acceptance is the way to go for me.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!
I made a nice discovery at the supermarket -- mini packages of Cracker Barrel extra sharp white cheddar cheese. Each small package has zero carbs and only 90 calories. I am presently noshing on one for breakfast in my office.

I have a question for you ladies regarding TOM. Mine just came this morning -- a week early. I am told that cycle disruptions/changes occur when weight/fat loss is involved. Is that true? Has anyone else experienced that? Thanks for any insight.

Have a GREAT day all
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

TOM can be disrupted by a lot. For me, when I am stressed out I am late (causing more stress obviously) and when I was on a low callorie diet I had a very irregular cycle.

There are a lot of things that can mess up you hormones, and I would not be surprised if a diet is one of them.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

I think I heard that estrogen gets flushed out with fat from the cells, so it can alter hormonal levels. I never started getting mine early until I started peri-menopause, but I've gotten it late almost every time I've ever lost weight. This spring, I lost about 30 lbs. in 14 weeks. I had TOM on Easter and then it disappeared for 4 1/2 months. I stopped losing and mostly maintained after June 1st. Just as I thought I must be starting menopause, it showed up again August 30th - the night before our big vacation! It made up for the months it missed too. It's been fairly regular since then, until this month (MIA again). I started losing weight again in late October. Apparently, TOM doesn't like Atkins.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

LOL -- I don't think TOM likes Atkins either! Velvet and NH: thank you very much for your thoughts. My TOM symptoms yesterday were awful -- I felt sick to my stomach with a terrible headache and back ache. Other than that one slice of cheese, I only ate a bunless hamburger and a spoonful of salad yesterday and then went straight to bed. I feel MUCH better this morning though.

Velvet: is that you in your avatar? You are so pretty!
NH: wow, you have had a lot of weight loss success. Good for you!

Have a great day guys...
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I hope you have a good day!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Gail. That is me, it was taken at a photoshoot last winter. With proffesional make-up and so. Trust me, I do not look like this when I get out of bed.;-)

How was your day today?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Velvet -- you are gorgeous -- you remind me of Liz Taylor when she was very young, in her 20s and in her prime! I love Elizabeth Taylor and that was meant as a compliment! You also look a tiny bit like Katy Perry too.

So far my day is okay -- but it is only 1:30 PM EST here in Boston! I have not eaten anything yet -- I am just not hungry when I am in ketosis. A co-worker stopped by to give me a box of candy to thank me for something I had done. I am going to give the candy to my neighbor. I really don't need Godiva chocolates calling my name, especially at TOM, you know?

As for dinner, Tony is cooking tonight. He is sauteeing Jumbo shrimp in butter, fresh garlic, basil and white wine with cherry tomatoes and zucchini. So I am looking forward to eating that and relaxing in front of the TV while I finish my holiday cards. How are you? Did you have a good day? It must be 6:30 or 7:30 PM for you by now.

Good to hear from you Scalestepper! How is your vacation going?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Ugh, TOM sucks! When I was doing Atkins I had horrible pms and cravings.. so weird. I'm glad you're feeling better today, nothin like a backache and headache to ruin a day for you.

Just spent part of my morning shopping online.....when I should've been studying... OOPS!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Gail, Tony is definitely a keeper with the way he cooks! Gotta love a man who cooks the right foods for you. Sounds like you are really getting into the LC mode and actually enjoying it.

I too like the Barefoot Contessa and can adapt a lot of Italian recipes to LC with a little tweaking to get rid of the high carb ingredients. For a good chicken parmesan flatten a chicken breast (cut in two if they are large. In one bowl beat and egg or two if you are cooking several breasts. In another bowl add equal parts almond meal and parmesan cheese- the cheap can kind. I usually use 1/2 cup each. Take the chicken breast, dip in the egg, then place in the almond/parmesan mixture making sure it is nicely coated. Set the coated chicken on a plate for 5 minutes so the coating adheres to it. Place a skillet on med high and add about 1/4" of oil. When oil is hot and place chicken in the skillet until golden brown on both sides, be careful not to burn. You can also bake the chicken instead of frying it. When done place mozzarella and sauce on the chicken and warm in the oven until the cheese is melted.

How is your nighttime snacking going? For snacking I have SF pudding packs or blue diamond smokehouse almonds. Or I will try celery with Boursin or Alouette cheese.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, you are fabulous. Thank you for the Chicken Parm recipe -- it sounds fantastic! I want to make this over the weekend! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Your Boston Terrier is the avatar is so CUTE -- what an adorable sweet face! Night time snacking is going okay. My strategy is go to to bed early so I wash/moisturize my face, put on pajamas and get more relaxed so I don't eat so much. I usually have a cup of herb tea to say "Okay no more eating" to myself before I brush my teeth and get ready to head to dreamland. I make sure that I have legal snacks readily available like smoked almonds, herb dip and veggies and cocktail peanuts if I want a small snack while I watch TV. It is a hard habit to break!

Danielle -- LOL! I love online shopping and I am so totally with you on that fellow Virgo! You are doing well in school plus it is the holidays so I think you can cut yourself some slack and enjoy buying stuff online! Virgos have a very positive horoscope in December when it comes to finances and shopping so enjoy while you can!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Plus there are all the GREAT online sales -- so you can justify this!!!

Hugs and kisses to you guys -- have an awesome night!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Sales! I love sales, I am extremely good a shopping online. ;-) We women should get ourselfs something nice everyonce in a while.

Your plan for not eating much late at night sounds like a good plan. To have your going to bed rituals kinda closes off the day, so you mind might not be so hungry anymore.

Yesterday was a crazy day at work. So much to do and so little time. A co working of mine had to go home on an emergancy, so it was all a bit weird. Today is my day off my regular job, so it is a sewing day.

Start 220 1 okt 2012
205==> 21 nov 2012
200==> 12 dec 2012
195==> 16 jan 2013
Blog: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...carb-life.html
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Velvet, I hope you have a good day off and enjoy sewing. It is a gray day here in Boston but not too cold, so I really can't complain. What is it about Wednesdays that sometimes seem so blah though? Maybe it is just me.

I am making plans to see old friends that I have not seen in years. They have never seen me overweight before so I am kind of dreading this. Anyone else ever experience that -- the negative reaction when people see you overweight when they were used to seeing you at a normal weight? It can be awful.

Anyway, onward and upward. I am just going to stay focused on eating low carb.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

The online deals are too good to pass up, esp when there is free shipping involved. Shipping costs irritate me to no end and it angers me when I have to pay for it, it's so overpriced. DD16 is the one that I get into trouble with because she is soooo easy and fun to shop for..she's a girly girl and loves clothes and shoes, etc. I have to literally tell myself to stop!

Aw, I would not worry one second about seeing your friends. They are going to be so happy just to see you they're not gonna care one way or the other. I know what you mean tho, I think it's only human nature to beat ourselves up like that. I'm tellin you, STOP! You guys will have a blast and that is all that matters. Just think how great it'll be next time they see you and you will look different, right?

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Danielle, thank you for the great advice. I know you are right. I am just feeling sorry for myself today -- which really won't do me any good!

I love online shopping too -- I literally did all of my holiday shopping online this year. It must be so much FUN to shop for your 16 year old daughter. I would be buying her things left and right too -- I'm a girly girl at heart myself too. I love clothes, shoes, handbags, makeup, perfume, you name it! My wallet wishes I didn't though!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Not really hungry today -- had coffee with half and half this morning. At lunch, I had one small piece of Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar cheese and green tea. For dinner, we are having turkey burgers and salad with olive oil and lemon juice.

What are you guys eating today?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

I agree with wat was said above. Do not worry about it! They are your friends! Try to look forward to it, because there is nothing worse than a lot of stress because friends are visiting, visits should be fun.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gail - don't worry about the friends seeing you heavier than last time. Friends don't judge you by size. But if you think they might actually care, just take along a picture at your heaviest weight and they'll marvel at how much thinner you are now.

What I ate today: Dobie's muffins for breakfast (+ coffee), German salad and 1/2 chicken breast with hot sauce and blue cheese for lunch. So far, for dinner, I had the rest of the chicken breast and I'll be eating more German salad in a few minutes. I'll probably have celery and cream cheese before bed too, in whatever quantity I need to make it to 1150 calories and 30g of carbs.

Good night, all!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Velvet -- that is great advice. You are right. My friends are terrific people and I should just relax. Still when people register visible surprise when they see you, it can make you feel worse that you already feel. I know: I'm being a baby.

Anyway, I just enjoyed a good dinner. I had a juicy turkey burger and a great salad with romaine lettuce, celery, tomatoes and a new homemade vinagrette. Every now and then, a salad just tastes so delicious and fresh tasting, especially when you get good salad greens. I really think that salads should always taste awesome -- they are good for you so make them the very best they can be. If you can get great produce and make a homemade dressing, it makes all the difference. And it is much easier to make a homemade dressing than people think. When you are on low carb, you need to find all kinds of different flavor experiences to keep you satisfied, engaged and even blissful while on this restrictive regimen.

On low carb, I have made so many dressings, like blue cheese, ranch, olive oil vinaigrette, french vinaigrette, Italian, red wine vinegar dressing, asian salad dressing and green goddess dressing. The green goddess is so yummy and fresh tasting plus it makes a great dip for veggies, chicken, turkey, shrimp, etc.

Lets open our minds to finding new recipes and ideas to really enjoy the low carb food we eat. We work hard and we are good people -- we deserve a most excellent meal that is also healthy! When you are on low carb, you can do both at the same time. And if you get into the cooking groove, you can make mini masterpieces!

On Friday night, I am going to spend the night with an old friend who I have not seen in ages. She recently had a hip replacements (and she's young, only in her early 40s) and really wants the company -- although, fortunately, she is healing nicely. I am going to bring food over and make dinner. I am thinking of either grilled salmon in a honey ginger glaze (using sugar free honey that is super low in carbs), steamed broccoli with butter and lemon, and a tossed salad with olive oil vinaigrette OR filet mignon, creamed spinach and fresh asparagus. I think I am going to let her decide. She is on low carb too (she only has a tiny bit to lose though -- like 15 pounds max) and she is a nibbler. So I think I will offer a third option of "low carb tapas or hors d'oeuvres." I am thinking cold jumbo shrimp with low sugar cocktail sauce, hot crab dip (I make this homemade with fresh crab), chicken skewers with spicy peanut sauce and herb dip with low carb raw veggies (cucumber, peppers, cherry tomatoes, fennel, celery, etc.). I bought these new low carb and gluten free crackers online and they finally arrived today -- I thought they would go great with the herb dip (recipe below). When I got home from work, I gave Tony one to try and he said they taste like dog biscuits. Yes,that's right -- they taste like Milk Bones. I was upset...but I digress.

This Herb Dip recipe from the Barefoot Contessa is so damn good that I have to share it -- AGAIN. I share this every chance I get because it will make you WANT to eat raw veggies like broccoli, celery, cucumber, peppers, it is that good. You just take 8 oz of room temperature cream cheese and blend that with a half cup of sour cream and a half cup of mayo. Add two TBS of FRESH chopped dill, fresh chopped parsley and a bunch of chopped green onions or scallions. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate a few hours and let the flavors meld. This dip can make shoe leather taste good.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

I ate to many damn low carb crackers last night -- and I knew better not too. I did not finish the bag or anything but I had two handfuls. That put me in the total 30 grams of carbs range for the entire day when usually I am at 20 carbs per day. I did the Ketostix this morning and they still turned light pink -- they usually turn darker but at least I did not get kicked out of ketosis entirely. I am really mad at myself though.

I am going to be much better today.