Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #811
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
OMG Gail! So sorry to hear all this. Your SIL just wants to show off her new house! It's unfortunate that she will not accommodate Tony's dad. I can understand him being upset. I feel that our elders "trump" everyone else!
We do not have any of our parents left to celebrate with and it certainly makes the holidays different. Make sure Tony explains everything to his Dad....
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Lisa, Susan, Dani, MJ, Julia -- THANK YOU for your support. I really, really appreciate it. I was actually pretty upset last night thinking of Tony's Dad and how hurt he must have felt. Both my parents are dead but when my they were alive and sick, we bent over backwards for them and took care of their needs first.

I am particularly mad at Tony's brother who made a snobby comment about his dad to Tony's sister. When we were all planning to go to his house in CT, he asked Tony's sister to make sure we (me, Tony and her) keep the Dad occupied during Thanksgiving so he won't have to socialize with him as much. When asked why, he replied "well I have nothing in common with him."

Now, mind you, Tony's Dad has done SO MUCH financially and otherwise for this brother and sister in law --given them thousands of dollars over the years, fixed and towed their cars when they broke down, built a huge outdoor dollhouse from scratch for their daughters, paid for an ultra fancy rehearsal dinner on a yacht for their wedding. And this is how he treats him?

It is because Tony's dad is blue collar and somehow that is just not good enough. That is why I made that mean "hired help" comment even though it is true. Tony's brother brags about hobnobbing with millionaires at his golf club -- and I'm like "barf, you are giving them golf lessons, not hanging out with them like friends." I deal with plenty of venture capitalists and private equity guys who are millionaires as well for my job. I write their speeches, press releases and handle their media interviews. But at the end of the day, I KNOW I am the hired help for them too. And those people put their pants on one leg at a time like everyone else, for the love of God.

Okay, rant over! I am ready to start a new day. Hope you guys have a great one!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
That'll get your blood pumping as well as any cuppa joe! Go get'em Gail! I hope you have a fantastic day!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #814
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Julia. My rant is over and I apologize for getting so out of control -- I was just mad last night. I think we are going to make this nice low carb cream of tomato soup for dinner tonight and have that with turkey and cheese rollups. Here is the recipe:

Just chop up 1/2 of an onion and sauté it in 2 TBS of olive oil over high heat in a large pot. Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add 3/4 TSP of salt, 1/2 TSP pepper, 1/4 TSP red pepper flakes. Stir in 4 cups of chopped or canned tomatoes and 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender to smooth it out. Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #815
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
so sorry Gail. That's sad for his Dad...... ( hugs ) . Family can really screw up things ;/

Hope it works out with no hurt feelings.
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #816
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Laura! OMG --that creamy tomato soup is so good. We made it last night and it really hit the spot on a chilly night.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #817
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I make tomato soup too, but its tomato sauce, hwc and splenda. That's it. Yours sounds so good!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #818
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Last night must have been comfort food night - we made creamy taco soup. That tomato soup sounds delish, though! I need to make that for myself!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #819
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Ugh Gail just read about the family drama, that is BS, you know the family revolves our Nan, they should be the ones celebrated, but it is what it is, frankly I would go to his father's and F the wine for the others let them buy their own stuff!

Tony is a really slow cook, he will help me but I like doing it! I almost prefer doing it alone I have everything ready that way when I was married before I always did the holiday dinners then when I had my small house we couldnt fit everyone, I dont like people bringing stuff then it isnt hot and needs warmed so its easier to just do it myself! Robert was suppose to be going to Germany with his Dad but they cancelled the trip and I am glad I was getting nervous about it!

It is freezing here!!!!

Did you see the news about the transfats? Hoping the chemists stay out of the labs and let people eat real food!

Have a good weekend doll!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #820
Major LCF Poster!

Tomato soup - my favorite! Progresso makes a great tomato basil soup, but not the best for carbs. They used to have a high fiber soup line, but I haven't seen it in the stores lately. DRATS!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, this soup recipe is delicious and very easy to make. You can also add fresh basil to it too. Amber, thanks for your support. I love cooking too and you seem like a great cook. You must have fun at the holidays cooking for lots of friends and family. It can be really fun if you are in the right frame of mind and if you have the time to do it. At least you can control what gets put into your food too and how it is made!

Yes, Tony and I saw the whole trans fat thing on the news last night. I really hope the FDA bans it -- so GROSS! The fact that trans fats have been KILLING people for years is just awful. Real food is where it's at!

It is cold here too. Winter is upon us! We are making a homemade chicken pot pie -- without the pie crust of course -- for dinner tonight. I can't wait to get home and chill out -- really want to the weekend to be here!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #822

I ate the atkins crustless chicken pot pie for lunch yesterday, those meals are full of sodium, but in a pinch they are good, and that one is my fav and the egg bowl! LOL

Yeah really I was so ready for Friday!!!!!

Have a good one hun!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #823
Major LCF Poster!

Have an awesome Sunday and Veteran's Day Gail! Sun is shining and air is crisp here in Maryland. Leaf raking time!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #824
Blabbermouth!!!

Gail ! morning !

Trans Fat YUCK, I agree !

Hope you are having a lovely weekend !
Old 11-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #825
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Laura and Susan -- thanks for stopping in! Hope you guys are having good weekends too. I have Monday off for Veterans Day which is GREAT! Yesterday, I got my hair colored and afterwards did some Christmas shopping with one my girlfriends. It was chilly here yesterday! Came home and made chicken in peanut sauce for dinner.

Still chilly here this morning -- there was SNOW up north in New Hampshire but I am grateful that we did not get any. Tony wants chicken wings and salad to eat later so I better get cracking on that. Still trying to motivate myself to exercise this morning -- have to do either the elliptical or go for a walk!

Have a good one ladies!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #826
Major LCF Poster!

I hear ya on the snow. I feel if I don't get out there and get these leaves up, I may not be able to until Springtime!!! I can feel the chill in the air.

In my city, we have a Zumba class that is $2 per class to join. And, you pay each time you go. It is Tues and Thurs nights. I used to do it a few years ago, until I tore my miniscus. Then even after it healed, it hurt to do the class. BUT...it hasn't bothered me in a while, and I think I am going to attempt the class again next week. It is so much fun. Does your neighborhood have any mini classes like that? Somewhere warm to exercise and also get to know your neighbors

Enjoy your Sunday!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #827
Major LCF Poster!

Lisa, there is a gym that is fairly close to where I live --- they have spinning and Zumba classes. I am dying to try Zumba. I feel a little self conscious though -- I don't want to show up and be the token "fat middle-aged chick" in the class. I have lost some weight since late August but I am stuck between a size 14 and a size 12. I planned on joining the gym once I got to either size 12 or size 10. I know I sound ridiculous. I am sure that people really don't care about what everyone else in Zumba class does. And, yes, it would be good for me to join now. I just have to get over myself.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #828

Gail I don't do Zumba, I got no moves, LOL I hate to dance too and my tony loves it! They are calling for snow here tomorrow, OMG I hate Winter!!!! It was so freaking cold and windy yesterday I see branches that snapped, it was crazy! The kids talked us into pizza for the game yesterday I got wings, but had a piece of pizza, ughghg, I couldnt resist it!!! Gotta get strict this week now to make up for that!!!!

Lucky you are off!! I thought my son would be off but they have school!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #829
Major LCF Poster!

Hope the sun is shining for your holiday Gail!

Christmas shopping! UGH! Have not even thought about it yet!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #830
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ladies!
I am checking in from my business trip -- I am in Long Island, NY. Flew here early this morning -- in the snow no less -- for a client meeting. Our client there is lovely and had a huge breakfast of New York bagels, cream cheese, croissants and fresh squeezed juice waiting for us -- I did not eat a bite. And then they had a lunch of sandwiches, chips, homemade chocolate chip cookies and I nibbled the turkey out of the sandwich. Finally, they got a cake to celebrate our two year relationship -- a giant yellow cake with cannoli filling and whipped cream frosting. Ridiculous. I passed on that too.

Yesterday, I made Tony a nice dinner -- spicy orange Duck breast, turnip gratin, green beans sauteed in garlic and ginger. The turnip gratin is easy and low carb -- as well as delicious. If you like creamy potato dishes, you will love this one -- the turnip tastes just like potatoes. Here is how you make it:

Pour two cups of heavy cream into a large saucepan. Add 3 cloves of garlic (chopped), 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, a huge handful of fresh thyme (or 1 TSP of regular thyme but fresh thyme is better) as well as salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes. After that time, remove the thyme.

Chop up turnip in thin slices. Butter a large pan. Layer 1/3 of the turnip slices. Dot small pieces of butter on top of the turnip. Then pour a small amount of the cream mixture on top and layer than with heaping spoonfuls of fresh romano cheese (you can also use parmesan). Keep repeating these layers -- turnip/butter, cream mixture and cheese until you are done. Cover the pan with foil. Cook in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Open the oven and remove the foil from the pan. Cook uncovered for another 20-25 minutes or until the top of the dish is brown/bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for 10-12 minutes. It is really important to let us dish sit for a bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #831
Major LCF Poster!

I have thursday off, and I would love to try that turnip dish We love roasted duck too, usually have that for Easter lol.

I wouldn't worry about that zumba class. I felt the same way, and then was pleasantly surprised that there were a LOT of older women there, women my age, over weight women, thin women. Fit women and not fit women. It was a huge mixture of people. I was pleasantly surprised There were even a few men (not many). It is a fun class, whether you have rhythm or not. It is just fun.

Excellent job on the work trip!!! Amazing...how do they even think up those type of cakes?!? OMG.

Last edited by greengeeny; 11-12-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #832
Major LCF Poster!

OMG Gail! I don't think I would have been able to resist those temptations!
You are really a STRONG woman!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #833
Major LCF Poster!

Awwww thanks Susan! It was hard but doable! As a fellow low carb dieter, you understand. You can't have just a little bite -- you just can't. When Tony picked me up at the airport last night, he chastised me for not eating much all day but I was fine. I felt fine anyway. Plus we flew home in one of those teeny tiny planes and I get motion sickness very easily. So I am glad I did not have a lot of food in my stomach and I am sorry for the TMI so early in the morning!

So COLD again here this AM! Winter is here too early for my liking! It could be worse -- think of those poor people in the Philippines. I feel so badly for them. Their region has just been devastated and those survivors must have the worst PTSD.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #834
Major LCF Poster!

Gail, I saw some pics of afterwards from the Phillipines. I can not even imagine
Old 11-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #835
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow Gail, you are indeed a strong woman ! WTG so sad about phillipines .....devastating .
Old 11-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #836

oh Gail that cake sounded delish I would have scarfed it, LOL!!! I love turnips! I roast them and even the kids eat them! I mash them too!!! Have a good one!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:56 AM   #837
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, turnips were such a revelation -- I was so relieved to find something like that eating low carb! Sometimes I miss potatoes and they are a really good low carb substitute. It is chilly here again today -- but they say it is getting a bit warmer. I need to jump in the shower and get ready for work but of course I'd rather lay around and relax -- LOL!

My weight is coming off -- not super fast -- but slowly, steadily. Nearly all of my fat is on my upper torso -- belly fat and the dreaded back fat! I cannot wait to get rid of my back fat but that is always the last thing on me to go. I was looking at old photographs of me when I was a size 4. I can't believe I was ever that small -- LOL. Instead of making me depressed, I decided I would use those photos to motivate myself to stay on plan. Somehow it works because I remember how life used to be.

Have a great day ladies...
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #838
Major LCF Poster!

Good for you Gail! I also glance at pictures of the past - fat and skinny - it helps me too! I envision the skinny me in my mind and think "I'm gonna get to that point soon!" We will all do it!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #839
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
You mean to tell me you don’t just looooove your back fat? What about the sexy curve that develops when the fat forms a roll just above the bra strap? If a woman with cleavage on her chest is desired, it is only logical to assume a woman with cleavage front AND back is doubly appealing, no?

trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #840
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Susan -- it helps to know others do this too! God those were the days -- when you could wear anything and still look good. It never occurred to me to wear anything with an elastic waist back then -- LOL!

Trish, your comment cracked me up! I don't think YOU, a perfect hourglass, have any back fat. I have plenty of it -- unfortunately! It is my bęte noire. Even when I am thin I still have a little of it. Argggh!