Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
We got dinner from the Greek place again-- grilled chicken, gyro meat, Greek salad. Very good and it hit the spot. Lets all pray to the great Low Carb God in the sky. Dear LC Lord, please give this the strength to avoid carbs. Please help us make the right healthy choices. Please give me and each of my beloved friends (Julia, Susan, Laura, Amber, MJ, Trish, Lisa, Jes/Portia, Dairy Queen, Danielle, Kitty City, Cleochatra, Lola, Z, Meg, LimeTwist/Cristin, DipGal, Monica and all others who stop by) a big whoosh of weight loss -- perhaps even a good 2-4 pounds. Thank you LC Lord!

Last edited by GailyGail; 10-31-2013 at 03:54 PM..
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #782
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Amen !!!! And Praise The LC Lord God !!!!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #783
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Amen Gail, that was great!!! LOL
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #784
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
You are just the very best!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #785
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Boo!

oooOoooOoo spookyyyyyy!

(Okay, so I'm a day late now for "Boo-ing" you.)

Totally joining in on this party. I'm currently trying to wake my husband up so we can go hiking/shopping on our day off (he's always the "Fifteen more miiiinuuutess pleaaase I'm tiiiiireddddd" type no matter how much he sleeps). So I don't have time to read your entries aside from a few quick browses, but I certainly will read the last 5-10 pages at least when I get back.
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #786
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
A-men!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #787
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
morning Gail !

glad they won for y'all ! WooHoo !!!

Hope you are having a wonderful Fall weekend !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

Hello Laura -- I hope you are having a lovely fall weekend too. We just got back from a long walk along the coast -- gorgeous day, unseasonably warm day here, the sun is shining on the ocean and I can smell fall leaves, ocean mist, charcoal from fireplaces and cinnamon in the air. We did not go into the city for the Red Sox parade -- too crowded and crazy.

I wanted to share a recipe I am making today -- chicken and pork in peanut sauce. You can just do one protein if you want -- either chicken or pork or shrimp will do.

For the sauce, in a bowl combine 4 TBS of peanut butter, 2 TSP of fresh ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 TSP of red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup of soy sauce. You can add some asian hot sauce to this too but that is optional. Set bowl aside.

Chop up your protein of choice -- I used a combo of chopped boneless pork loin and boneless/skinless chicken breast. Heat 2 TBS of peanut oil in a walk and saute one chopped onion for one minute over medium/high heat. Add 3/4 cup of cashews and cook for a few minutes. Add your chopped protein of choice to the bowl of sauce and make sure it is well coated. Add protein/sauce mixture to the wok and cook for 10 minutes.

In the meantime, if you want to add fresh veggies too this, lightly steam broccoli and green beans. Alternatively, you can also mix in 2 cups of frozen stir fry veggies after the protein has cooked for 10 minutes. Add the veggies at the end and then you are ready to serve. This is super fast -- takes about a half hour -- and is super easy.

Have a GREAT fall day!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #789

Hello Gail!!!
Yesterday was beautiful then it turned cold and blustery here today when we have more planting to do! Busy day yesterday! Why do the weekends go so quickly? Ughg if only work went that fast!
Taking down all the Halloween decorations, I cannot believe but we were coming back from the Halloween party and 7 houses have up Christmas lights, I was like dudes its Nov 2! I love Christmas but I find it a little premature, LOL

Anywho, your satay sounds yummy!!!!!

We went to this authentic Indian place yesterday I have no idea what we ate but some of it was so hot, my mouth was burning for hours, no one spoke English! LOL I did eat some naan and basmati but just a little!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
OMG...that peanut stuff sounds delish How many servings does that sauce make? Not sure if the boys would be down for peanuty sauce, but I would def make it for myself!!!!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #791
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, I totally agree with you about weekends going by so fast. Glad you had fun at the Halloween party. You are doing GREAT with you eating -- especially with so many social events and parties you have going on, and that is when it gets really tough. I cannot believe people are putting up Christmas decorations -- we have not even had Thanksgiving yet! Yeesh. I see the same thing around here but at least people are getting into the holiday spirit which is a good thing!

Lisa, the recipe says it makes 2-4 servings but I actually DOUBLED the recipe I posted above so that Tony would have lunches and leftovers to nibble on when he feels peckish. People tend to eat alot of it because the peanut sauce is so good. I stayed in ketosis after eating it too. I was worried because I usually don't indulge in peanut butter but I was fine. If you are making it just for you, then I would stick to the recipe I posted.

It is a somewhat chilly day here with drizzly rain. I went out for an hour long walk and actually got a little drenched so I took a hot shower. Now I am off to get my manicure. I am a fiend about keeping my nails looking decent, which I know is like totally shallow. But heck, I like having attractive hands. It keeps me from feeling bad about my body -- LOL! I kid, I kid...

We are going to make low carb chicken and pork fajitas to eat this afternoon while we watch football. You guys know we always skip lunch and eat an early dinner. I found these great tortillas at the supermarket -- they are huge and only 11 grams of carbs! We make homemade guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo -- the works. I refuse to suffer while I am dieting!

Hope everyone has a great lazy Sunday. I find work to be very busy during the months of November and December -- especially as clients and customers rush to get everything done before the end of the year. So it is important for us to take care of ourselves during the weekends -- get plenty of rest/sleep, eat good healthy meals, exercise outdoors if you can (while we still can before it gets too cold) and spend time with people you really love and enjoy.

Before long, we will all be caught up in the Christmas frenzy -- shopping, parties, sending holiday cards, wrapping gifts. For the most part, I LOVE this time of year but it does get stressful. Here's to a great week ahead for all of us. xo xo xo

Last edited by GailyGail; 11-03-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #792
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
I love the 'head space' you are in right now Gail! Taking care of yourself on the weekends is so responsible of you and sets you up for success through the week.

I will definitely be trying your peanut sauce in the future. Sounds delish! I made your spinach and chicken casserole last week and really enjoyed it for my lunches. You are such a good LC cook!

Enjoy your Sunday!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #793
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, you are the best -- I heart you. Ladies, I forgot something on the peanut sauce recipe. You need to add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the peanut sauce. Stir that in. I am SO SORRY that I forgot to mention that! I am losing my mind! LOL!

We are enjoying our low carb fajitas while we watch the Jets play the Saints. It is still warm enough that we have lots of windows open to enoy the fresh fall air. Before long, it will be sold cold here we won't be able to do that!

Wishing everyone a GREAT Sunday.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #794
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
You know, after posting earlier I made a spaghetti squash and thought it might be a good 'noodle' in your peanut chicken recipe. Just thought I'd share.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #795

Gail your recipe inspired me to try something I had pork tenderloins out to grill, so I mixed up PB, coconut milk, soy, red pepper, a little splenda brown sugar and coconut oil, garlic and ginger and whipped it in my magic bullet and it made like a paste I rubbed that on the pork while the Eagles won, LOL!!!! Then we grilled it OMG so good!!!!!! I had a bunch of colored peppers so I sauteed them with garlic and ginger and a few peanuts, my son loved it!!! So thank you for the peanut sauce inspiration!!!

19 degrees here this morning, holy freezing!!! I hate it!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #796
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, your recipe sounds fabulous -- I am definitely going to try it. Tony loves anything in peanut sauce. Glad your Eagles won and the Patriots eeked out a victory. Trish, that recipe would be awesome with spaghetti squash too.

You know, I have bags and bags of Miracle Rice and Shirataki noodles in my cupboard but I can't bring myself to make them. I tried making a cheesy rice dish with the Miracle Rice way back in late August, when I started the low-carb WOE again. It tasted kind of weird but that could have been the fault of my improvised recipe!

It is CHILLY here too -- sunny but windy. Winter will soon be upon us and it will be very dark when we drive home from work. So I guess having those Christmas lights up sooner rather than later might be a good thing -- LOL. Ladies, lets look at the upcoming winter as a good thing, okay? Here is my thinking: we have November, December, January, February and March (I count March as winter being a New Englander, LOL) to lose a whole bunch of weight before spring! That gives us a good five months and I bet each of us can take off a good deal of weight between now and then!

Then by the time April and the warm weather roll around, we will be proud of what we have accomplished! Try to visualize how good Spring 2014 will be!

Have a great day all -- xo xo xo!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #797
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
I don't like the time change either, Gail! I wish we could just do away with it. You are inspirational to me with your "Slim for Spring" way of thinking!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #798

Oh Gail it was so dark at 5:00 yesterday I hate it! But at least it is a little lighter in the morning now, but it is what it is, here I am complaining about the Christmas decorations and now I feel like I want to listen to Christmas music and decorate, LOL I am having Thanksgiving for all 20 peeps at our new house, so I thought maybe have the decorations up for the kids by then! Thanksgiving is so late in the month, Christmas will come fast!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #799
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, Amber, you are hosting Thanksgiving for 20 people at your house? You really are Wonder Woman (well I think you are even prettier than Lynda Carter). That is awesome. That will be really fun in your new house too! I hope you take a vacation day or two to get ready for it. Will Tony help you with the cooking? I can see you two having a blast in the kitchen together. My Tony cooks too which is great but sometimes he drive me crazy if he is in the kitchen with me. He gets way too controlling -- LOL!

We are spending Thanksgiving at Tony's brother's place in New Canaan, CT, about a 3-4 hour drive from us. His brother and sister in law are hosting 20+ people too. We offered to bring all the wine and hors d'oeuvres to help out. Of course I am bringing tons of low carb options! We are bringing a huge cheese plate, charcuterie, herb dip and fresh veggies, shrimp cocktail, nut mixes and hummus and pita chips. I think it will be fun. Thanksgiving is more fun with it is with a big crowd of different folks. Plus I love Tony's adorable little nieces who are 4 and 6 years old.

Another chilly day out there today. Hope everyone has a great one!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #800
Major LCF Poster!

I can't get too upset about people starting Christmas early - it's a time of happiness, and in times when so much negative is surrounding us (really, I can't handle any more "news" these days), how can you resist the pull of comfort and joy? I can totally understand.

For us, we will put the tree up Thanksgiving day, but only because I don't have time until then! Hopefully I will eat at a nice restaurant, where I can have a plate of thanksgiving foods, planning to eat off-plan, but only one serving and no leftovers. If I weren't in retail, I'd look forward to time with family. But that's not my reality! Ha!

This time change is killing me - I was falling asleep at 8:30 last night!

I hope you have a great day today - a friend in Boston posted that it was under 30 last night! Yikes!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

I am already in a Christmas mind set too. I have already tagged a few gifts on Amazon for the boys. Haven't really set anything in motion yet, but definitely excited to have the holidays back!

I am having Thanksgiving and Christmas at my house. Thanksgiving will be 9 people. I have already told them I will be making everything lc...but they are welcome to bring their own dishes too I might sneak in one regular dish for the boys. Your lc ideas for Turkey Day sound delicious.

It has been chilly here too, but I love it. My yard is full of colorful leaves. With the day off today, and the boys off school, we will probably spend the day out there cleaning up the yard. Some of my fave times!

Hope you have a great day Gail!!!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #802
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, it is freezing here -- but that's New England for you. Still, it is pretty as the leaves are scattered all around and the sun is shining. I agree with you -- it is nice to see people with the Holiday spirit and it is such a fun time of year. Being in retail, you sure work hard -- it must be exhausting so no wonder you are tired.

Lisa, your day off sounds great! I love how much fun you have with your boys and your home -- your household must be a very happy place. Your boys are lucky. Good for you for hosting both Thanksgiving and Christmas and I love how you are staying low carb. There are so many good low carb side dishes (creamed spinach, fresh green beans, cauliflower in cheese sauce) and you can find recipes for low carb versions of stuffing, potatoes, bread, desserts too.

For dinner tonight, I am going to make a low carb cream of tomato soup. When the weather gets cold, I really crave soup and this one is really simple. Just chop up 1/2 of an onion and sauté it in 2 TBS of olive oil over high heat in a large pot. Cook for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add 3/4 TSP of salt, 1/2 TSP pepper, 1/4 TSP red pepper flakes. Stir in 4 cups of chopped or canned tomatoes and 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender to smooth it out. Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #803
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
morning !

Nice and cool there ? Sounds great !! Warm and sticky here... supposed to be 81 today and wet. ;/

Soup sounds yummy ..... have you ever made Cheri's southwestern taco soup ? It's super easy too. We love it

GG - time with family is the best !

Back to work for 4 -- working nights with DH this week ! Yippee !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #804
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lpenben
Stats: 318/241/160
WOE: rotate between Atkins and carb addiction diet
Start Date: October 2011
lpenben log journey

Hi Gail thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I'm so happy I found low carb friends it helps to know I not alone
lpenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #805
Major LCF Poster!

Laura, glad you are working with DH -- that is great and will make the days go by faster. You are lucky to live in TX this time of year -- your weather is only going to get better and better! lepenben -- totally my pleasure! We are all in this boat together and we must support one another on this journey. You WILL be successful!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #806
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh, Tony was cranky and tired tonight so I got takeout rather than cook because it would be quicker -- I can call our favorite Italian place from work and have them deliver it the minute I get home rather than make him wait 30-45 minutes from when I get home to cook. I know this sounds ridiculous and yes, he is a very nice person. But today was a tough day and he had already worked a 14 hour day. So yes, it was a day to be kind and acccomdating to your partner -- I think some of you cats know what I mean.

Our favorite Italian place accomodates our diet so we shared a grilled pork chop, green salad, chicken and broccoli sauteed in olive oil and garlic and grilled calamari. Yum!

But Tony dropped a bomb on me. Now his Dad does not want to go to his son's (Tony's brother's) house for Thanksgiving. To be fair, his Dad lost his wife a year and a half ago and still is not over it (understandable -- totally). He is also 77 years old and not feeling well and the drive from Maine to CT is 6-7 hours. Tony's brother and sister in law are making him stay in a hotel (well we all are) but letting the sister in law's sister, husband and kids stay at their house.

Originally, Tony's dad wanted to have a whole family Thanksgiving at the home in Maine because he thought it would be his last holiday on earth due to his illness (which could be true). Tony's brother and sister in law countered that and wanted this holiday to be at their new home in CT.Tony's sister called me two weeks ago and told me that whole family plan was to go to CT for the holiday. So of course, being the nutty Virgo that I am, I made the hotel reservations, found out what we could bring for the holiday, ordered some of the wine and food we said we would bring, secured a hotel room for his Dad, etc.

Only to find out today that Tony's dad will not go and will not budge. I understand where he is coming from -- there should be a guest room for him at his son's house -- especially at his age and with his health concerns. Tony's sister in law is also having like 25 guests for Thanksgiving (her friends and family) so it won't be an intimate holiday. She is usually not very nice to him or the rest of the family but I can handle her fine. She's a bit snobby. Whatever. Tony's brother is too. He is a golf pro at this swanky club in CT but he thinks he's Donald Trump. I'm like "hello, you're the hired help. Get over yourself."

So now Tony's sister, husband and kids will have Thanksgiving with Tony's dad and will probably invite extended family so they will have a decent crowd of 10 or 12. Tony says we still have to spend the holiday in CT with his brother and sister in law because I already promised that we would bring all the wine and hors d oeuvres and now we can't renege. Plus he can only get two days off that week (Thursday, Friday) and a trip to Northern Maine would warrant a two night stay. He says we will stay there longer for Christmas to make up for it.

Ugh, I hate this family sqaubbling over the holidays.

Last edited by GailyGail; 11-05-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Old 11-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #807
Major LCF Poster!

I feel your pain with the family squabbling. My parents have not spoken to my sister in 5 years. I have the holidays at my house, but if I invite one, the other will not come. So, I usually reserve the holiday itself for my parents. And, catch my sister the day before or the day after. I hate being in the middle of it. I have four beautiful nieces, and I never get to see them on the holiday. My parents live about an hour drive away, and my sister lives about 5 minutes away. So, I do get to see my nieces and sister a lot. Its just that the holidays are wonderful memories. I know that my sister and parents need to get together and clear the air, but I have tried in the past, and they both made me out to be the bad guy for doing it
It sucks that you are missing the holiday with the person you WANT to spend it with, and joining the person that isn't so nice~argh. It will be nicer at Christmas time anyways
Old 11-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #808
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, Gail! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry you got caught up in that. And I'm sorry for Tony and his Dad.

Hmmm working retail is my built-in excuse for not doing some family things (I don't see my mother-in-law) and while I miss a good deal, I also miss out on drama.

"Hired help" heeheehee.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #809
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Aw hon, I'm so sorry all of this is happening Crazy how the holidays can bring this out in people..I'm really sad for Tony's dad-he most certainly should have been accommodated for in the home...he's the patriarc of the family for cryin out loud! And yep, I sure could see you "dealing with her snobbiness"..and well, the comment about the hired help absolutely made me giggle Hopefully there will be peace in time for the holiday and no one will be left feeling hurt, etc. Tough stuff...families!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #810
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Prayers with you Gail. It is unfortunate that there no longer are the BIG family get-togethers for the holidays anymore mainly because everyone has their own idea of how it should be and don't want to make concessions. I remember as a child we always had TG at my GGP house and everyone and their dog would come...those days seem to be long gone.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote