Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #751
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/bouncing again/127 5'2"
WOE: moderation
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011~ Moderation 3/15/14
Have a great time Gail ! Great Food and Great Friends Great combination !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #752
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Enjoy your night out Gail! You are a healthy woman, making healthy choices and you can do that and be social.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #753
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
MJ, Laura and Trish, thanks so much for your support -- it means so much. I did have a great time with my friends and it was wonderful to be out on such a lovely fall evening. With Boston in the World Series, the city was just alive and jamming (too bad they lost), with tons of people out and about. Fall is just a great time of year here -- the students are all back and everyone seems to be enjoying the last six weeks or so of mildish weather before winter sets in. It can seem like winters last forever here -- it is pretty cold December to February -- three straight months of cold weather. March and April are always iffy -- often times, it is still cold during those months and we get snow with everyone still wearing their winter coats!

It feels like we don't even get a touch of spring until May and then BOOM, it is a hot summer day. That is what I miss about living in New York -- gorgeous springs. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, DC -- all areas where spring is still fabulous. Oh well -- as a New Englander, I better just get used to it!

It is early here and I am enjoying my coffee while Tony and our house guest sleep in. I think the boys are going to go out to an afternoon house party and watch the Patriots game. They invited me but I think I want to stay home and relax. I don't know what I am going to make later to eat...have to think about it. I did stay on plan last night so that was good. The place we went to (Towne in Boston) is really fun and our very nice waitress sent us over desserts on the house -- a huge bowl of Maple cotton candy, chocolate and pumpkin souffles. I did not have a bite -- yay!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #754
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
The autumn season is what I miss most about New England. I live vicariously through you when you describe the energy. *sigh*

You also describe the winter accurately too, and that I don't miss so much. Although, on some of the more fiercely hot days here, I would kill for some snow and ice.

I REALLY want to come up to visit my sister in Boston and brother in Providence and was hoping to do so while you all still had the fall weather. At this point, it looks like I'll be coming after the snow hits the ground.

Awesome job skipping the high carb options last night to maintain ketosis. I know Boston is such a foodie city with sooooo many great places to go for unbelievable food and drink options. Kudos to you for maintaining your social life and avoiding unhealthier choices.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #755
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Trish! It is hard sometimes, you know? But I feel better staying on plan. I am glad you are planning to visit Boston and Providence. I love Providence and Rhode Island in general. You will still have fun here in the winter -- and winter does have its own kind of beauty.

I love the Florida Gulf Coast -- my folks used to have a home Naples so I just love that part of Florida. Your weather is getting nice -- you will have a good 4-5 months of just gorgeous balmy weather ahead to enjoy!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #756
Blabbermouth!!!

I knew you would stay on plan ! Woohoo ! And so glad you have a wonderful time

Enjoy your Sunday ! Wish I had your lovely fall weather and all those seasonal changes ~ sounds awesome to me
Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #757
Major LCF Poster!

Laura, you have beautiful warm weather year round and the southwest landscape is really gorgeous. I think every region is beautiful -- most of us tend to like what we are used to -- where we grew up so to speak. I hope you are having a great weekend with DH, your kids and of course, Shelby!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #758
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Gail turning down souffles, that is something to be proud of, I would have stuffed one in, LOL Of course that is why I keep staying at the same weight, LOL

Sounds like a good weekend, I do like the seasons but I hate this going from having the AC on to the heat, it is 24 here again this morning, that is nuts!!!!!!!

Have a good week!!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #759
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, hope you have a GREAT week too! It is freezing here this morning as well!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #760
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Sounds like you had a full weekend Gail. Your fall and winter, and even spring and summer sound about the same as mine. We have already had our first snow -_- It didn't last until lunchtime because it is still sort of mild out. Today is gorgeous out. The air is crisp. The leaves are all pretty and scattering on the ground. Just a few more days until Halloween! I can't wait to see all of the little ones dressed up I love the holidays.

It is hard to have a social life and stay on plan, but not impossible. I go out with my sister often. And, while she used to try to force me to take a shot with her, now that she knows that I am serious, she has backed off. I do have an absolute w/ soda water and a slice of lime. The lime is the only carb in the cocktail. Kudos to you for sticking to your guns on the complimentary desserts. Oy vey. That would have been a tough one.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #761
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Lisa! The dinner I had on Saturday night was good -- it was filet mignon with olive tapenade. You can only order sides a la carte for the table and my friends preferred the creamed spinach over grilled asparagus -- so I had three tablespoons of creamed spinach along with the steak. It was good! The bread basket looked divine though -- homemade focaccia, bread sticks, warm rolls with spiced butters. I moved it far away from me!

Tonight we are having turkey burgers and salad for dinner. Trying to really stay on plan and eek out this weight loss bit by bit! Glad we are all in this journey together!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #762
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Gail, I finally had a chance to catch up on your blog. So proud of you! You are owning this, my friend! I love reading what amazing dinners you fix for you and Tony - I can't wait to try some of them. I really appreciate all the nice things you do for everyone, and thank you again. You rock!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #763

Gail I love turkey burgers over salad, I forget what brand it is that I love, but I love them, LOL I dont have any to go look! THe market makes ones with feta and spinach those are good too!!!

Eating out is pretty easy on LC as long as you can resist the bread, it is more the house parties and stuff we go to where there is a whole spread of nibbly junk that is what gets me!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #764
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, you're back! I am so GLAD you are back as we missed you terribly. Thank you so much for the kind words -- they mean so much.

Amber, yes, I agree with you. Socializing is really tough on low carb some times. I usually offer to bring food to house parties so I don't stray. I bring a home made herb dip and veggies, shrimp cocktail, nuts, cheese tray, charcuterie, etc. This time of year, scallops wrapped in bacon would be good. We went to a gathering a while ago and the hostess smokes -- not alot but every now and then. She invited me outside while she had a cigarette and I took a few puffs. Now, I am NOT a smoker per se but now I undersand why many smokers are so skinny! The taste and puffing of the cigarette distract you from food and make you not want to eat. Again, I am NOT advocating smoking here; just making a casual observation and offering a bit of my experience.

Don't worry -- no smoking here! Anyhoo - off to another Tuesday. I hope everyone has a great week. October is flying by like a witch on a fast broom. Before you know it, it will be Thanksgiving and we will all be sharing low carb recipies! LOL!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #765
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Gail, I smoked for over 20 years. It may have helped appetite wise I don't know, never thought about it. But I never had an appetite the whole time so maybe so. I quit the week before I started this diet and expected to gain a lot of weight. I guess the LC diet helped with that because I didn't gain. But the hand-to-mouth issue was really bad for me at first which helped me drink more water..lol. Now I can really smell the smoke on others who smoke and realize what all the non-smokers always talked about. When you smoke you lose sense of smell and taste that I do know.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #766
Major LCF Poster!

MJ -- thanks. I am not going to take up smoking -- that's for sure. I like the idea of drinking more water when I feel peckish though - that is better than smoking.

It is so chilly here today -- so dark and gray. We have been so lucky with a mild fall and now winter is coming. We are making a bacon, tomato and onion quiche for dinner tonight. Think we will have that with a green salad.

Today is dragging. I need to get a better attitude!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #767
Blabbermouth!!!

no.....no smoking !

Hope you have a great day.... go snuggle !
Old 10-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #768
Senior LCF Member

The weight that I gained when I quit smoking is, I believe, the weight that I'm having the hardest time losing. I so miss the ritual of smoking, but I'm glad I quit.

A quiche sounds so yummy! I may have to make one this weekend!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #769
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, our quiche came out great -- bacon, tomato and sauteed onion -- but are a million great low carb quiche recipes out there. We once did one with crabmeat, havarti cheese and dill that was scrumptious but the usual spinach, sausage and sage is good too. I hope you have fun experimenting with recipes. xo xo xo

Laura, thanks for checking in -- you are the BEST.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #770

God I gained this weight when I quit smoking so thought oh I will smoke again and now I am smoking and fat, it is the worst, do not even take puffs, I am so mad at myself for starting again and I have to quit that is the next thing coming! Ughghghg it is the worst habit and I am so mad I started, I kid myself I am smoking those little cigars not cigarettes and they are not any better for me!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #771
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Love quiche, but have not made one for a very long time. Must try one soon.
My DH uses those E-ciggys - he says "it's not smoking" - I disagree.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #772
Major LCF Poster!

Don't worry ladies, I am not becoming a smoker. I do think I need to do something more at night besides watch TV, work, catch up on email, etc. Maybe I need to go to the gym at night or do some needlepoint. That is always the hardest part of the day for me when it comes to eating. Even after a nice dinner, I want to snack. Lately I've been good about squashing this habit but the past couple of nights I felt peckish.

Either way, I need to stick with good habits. Onward and upward -- even though it feels like my weight loss is slowing down. I have to remind myself that there will be some weeks when I don't lose any weight at all. Just have to be patient and perservere -- and have faith that low carb works in mysterious ways but it still works.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #773
Major LCF Poster!

Busy day here in Boston. I just saw President Obama's plane land at Logan Airport (our office has great views) and now the Red Sox are playing in the World Series tonight. If they win this one, they could win the whole thing. Traffic is a nightmare here as you guys can well imagine.

I am stumped on what to do for dinner. Tony will be home late from work and I am tired and cranky already and it is only 4:00 PM. I think I might pick us up some grilled chicken Greek salads on the way home.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #774
Blabbermouth!!!

that sounds like a plan Take it easy and relax .......
Old 10-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #775
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Laura! I got us a low carb Greek feast -- fresh Greek salad, chicken souvlaki, gyro meat (that is all low carb) and grilled chicken. Yum! I was so tempted to cheat today -- the thought of getting a really good hot gooey pizza tormented me. Today was one of those grey days that inspires over-eating or eating the wrong things -- if you know what I mean. Back in the day, when it was chilly, raw, rainy I gave myself permission to overeat, especially if I had a bad day at work.

It is all so stupid to be that way -- but it was because I wanted any old excuse to eat food that I should not be eating to comfort myself and put a temporary smile on my face. Truth is, that momentary indulgence -- giving into it time and time again without any reign on it -- leads to a multitude of health problems as well as escalating weight. Before you know it, you are shopping at Lane Bryant, either online or offline, and lamenting the fact that probably nothing will look good on you. If ever there was a good reason to stay on plan, it might be health/longevity + feeling better + looking good = why we need to stay on lowcarb (and not cheat or totally fall off the wagon, never to return).

Sorry -- I know this sounds awfully shallow but sometimes more honest discussions around this help me stay on plan. I mean who doesn't want to look good?

Last edited by GailyGail; 10-30-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Old 10-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #776
Senior LCF Member

Gail I so totally understand! Today I can't my reflection and I was really really happy with how I was looking! Good motivation to keep going!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #777
Blabbermouth!!!

I understand totally ! those days make it so hard..... You have done so great and have so much determination . So happy for you

Looking/Feeling good is a great reward !
Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #778

Congrats Gail I heard the Red Sox won!

I know it is hard to stay on plan all the time and this WOE is so unforgiving when you carb out you blow up at least I do and it ruins so much hard work! I am trying to stay focused, and think about all those size 12 jeans I wish I could wear, good grief, I got rid of all my fat clothes, and now I am porking out of everything, but I did where a skirt yesterday that was too tight a few weeks ago, for me I see the effect of not working out, it is so much the pounds but lack of muscle, ughghg!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #779
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
They Won! I know you guys are celebrating !!! WOW !!!

On the food front.....don't beat yourself up over the need for comfort food. Sometimes the only thing to get past it is to actually have a little cheat and move on. On gloomy days I just want to bake off plan yummy things and everything goes to pot. I've tried baking with coconut flour and almond flour and it just isn't the same . We all know what works for us and it's the mental battle we fight everyday to follow through in order to get the results we want. Last night while watching TV, I wanted to snack, snack, snack! The Halloween treats in the pantry were calling my name . But I held out! I hope to give all the candy away tonight !!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #780
Major LCF Poster!

Amber and Susan -- YAY! Everyone here is really happy. After the Boston Marathon bombing this April, Boston really needed this. It is shaping up to be a nice fall day here too -- slightly sunny and very mild.

Susan, I hear you about the Halloween candy. I made Tony hide ours. I don't want to see it. I am normally not a candy freak but I know he got the kinds that I like -- the really bad-for-you candy like Reese's Cups and Kit Kats, my favorites of course. I agree with you about coconut/almond flour. I have CarbQuick and it is not bad. When we first got back on low carb, I started making low-carb fruit crisps because we had a bounty of fresh peaches, apples, pears and blueberries delivered to us. The crisps turned out great but they stalled my weight loss and kicked me out of ketosis -- even after a small 1/4 cup serving. So I kicked that to the curb.

Amber, I know what you mean about sizes. We can do this though! The size 12 jeans are right around the corner calling your name! We just have to stay vigilant. By the way, I've seen photos of you and you look fabulous in everything. Nothing is too tight.