Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #691
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Bejewelme
Stats: 350+/221.4/198 (5'10)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 9/27/2010
Gail- I hope Tony has a good day and a good report!! I know how scary it is, and what all you went through! Let's pray that everything is working properly! He has a good nurse!!!

The guy I work with doesn't do low carb but the clean health diet or something, and he only eats a huge dinner then nothing else til the next dinner, he is 22 6'4 not fat just muscular but he says he feels wonderful, is not tempted to eat junk and feels like his workouts are more beneficial, man I don't know if I could not eat! He is always telling me I need to fast, maybe some weekend I will try it, I did one day from breakfast to dinner and thought I was going to eat my arm!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #692
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Dear, dear Gail....you and Tony have been through so much health turmoil in 2013! I hope he gets a very positive report from the docs! Under your awesome care, he has come along way to better health! Praying for the both of you!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #693
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Thanks Lisa, Amber and Susan! I really appreciate the support! We won't get the results for a while but I will keep my fingers crossed. He has been doing well so far. I was just so upset that my much younger former colleague just died from an aortic dissection, the same thing Tony had. So scary.

Anyway, onward and upward. Hope everyone has a great day today!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Amber, you get used to not eating for a long time -- especially if you can drink lots of water, coffee or tea. That fills you up.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #695
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Hope today is less stressful than yesterday
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #696
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Prayers for you and Tony as you wait for the results ! What a year you both have had !
( hugs ) for you ~~ i know that is so stressful .
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Lisa and Laura -- you guys are wonderful. We are home now -- just finished a dinner of burgers and salad. It was good. The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting darker! I love the TV show "Nashville" and it just started in late September -- I totally forgot about it. I am watching the first episode now. Tony is being nice because the baseball playoffs are on now. The Red Sox come on at 8:30 so I have a little more time for "Girl TV" before I have to relenquish the clicker!

I know this sounds ridiculous but someone once told me that couples who watch TV together stay together -- and that it is wrong to split up at night and watch TV separately in different rooms. I first heard this years ago when I was married before and thought it was crazy. Of course that marriage ended and yes, we did watch TV separately.

So Tony and I strive for balance in our living room. 50% of the time, we watch sports, politics, CNN, CNBC and certain shows we both like. The other time, we watch what I like -- the Bravo channel, cooking shows (well we both like those), Real Housewives, documentaries, real estate/home improvement (we both like those too).

Somehow it works out.

Last edited by GailyGail; 10-16-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Old 10-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #698
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Hugs and good thoughts for you & Tony

We're having burgers & salad tonight, too

I love Nashville! The season is starting off at a full run..so good!
DH & I watch tv together...some of my stuff, some of his, some we both like.. We didn't used to up til 3 years ago..we nearly divorced too... weird, huh? He's made it a point to always be in the living room w/ me ever since.. we didn't used to--he'd go off and play video games or watch tv in another room for hours and hours.. Nothing loving or close knit about that!

Have a wonderful evening

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I'm not married, never have been...but the rule of thumb in our house is that all electronics are in the living room. The video games, the tv, the computer...so even if we aren't all three (me and the boys) doing the same thing, we are together in the room. We are sharing with each other things that are happening, and we are talking. No tvs anywhere else in the house. No computers anywhere else, and no video games anywhere else.
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #700

OMG Gail, you are so right, my Tony hates my shows, Housewives, Kardashians, etc but when I say I will go upstairs and watch he gets really mad and says we have to be together so he reads and plays on his tablet while I watch my shows, he hates that our family room is so big now we cant snuggle together so he wants to get a sectional. I never thought about it but I guess its true! He pretty much only wants to watch the Eagles and so do I so he pretty much lets me watch whatever!
Bejewelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

So funny ladies --- see you all know what I mean! Dani, I just love "Nashville." I did not see the new one -- just got caught up on the first two shows. Connie Britton (Rayna) is so pretty -- her hair is like the eighth wonder of the world.

Amber: your favorites are my favorite -- love the Housewives and the Kardashians but I also love the NE Patriots. Tony is a sports nut and a political junkie so he has not patience for my crappy reality TV stuff but he will watch it anyway. I think you should get a sectional! We have one and love it.

Lisa, you are a great mom. It is nice that your boys can hang with you in the living room. You are raising them to be good men.

Hope you guys have a great day today. Remember: there is a full moon and an eclipse tomorrow on Friday so tread carefully tomorrow. It won't be an easy day.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #702
Blabbermouth!!!

sounds like you have a "cozy" situation with Tony ! yay ! We watch TV together too <3

Have a wonderful day !
Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #703
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Another TV couple here. Our one and only TV is in the family room along with our laptops and tablets. This way we can do our own thing and still be together.

His guilty pleasures: ESPN and reality shows on Discovery and History Channels.

My guilty pleasures: Shows on Bravo, Food Network, and HGTV.

Together we watch English Premier League football and an embarrassing amount of dramas and reality shows.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #704

My Tony does like HGTV thank goodness, LOL And Big Bang Theory! It is so funny since you posted that this morning I was talking to everyone about watching TV with their spouses, a lot of people go to different rooms, funny! I am addicted to House Hunters, and I always lay in bed at 10 and watch and totally miss the house they pick, I get so mad!!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #705
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, Laura and Amber -- I think it is great that we watch TV with our beloved ones. It is more togetherness and I think that is great. Trish, I love HGTV, Bravo and Food Network too. Amber, we love watching House Hunters and are always amazed at the people on that show. They are usually so unrealistic when it comes to real estate -- like they want the most perfect place for very little money. Most times, they have so little imagination because you can really fix up a place and make it your own with new paint, new fixtures, a couple of visits to Home Depot, new furniture, etc. If the house has "good bones," you can make it gorgeous and have it reflect your taste levels.

Sorry -- rant over! We had a low carb chicken pot pie tonight -- without the crust! So easy and so good. You just cook boneless/skinless chicken breasts (400 degrees 25-30 minutes) and then dice up the chicken. Then in a large skillet on medium/high heat, saute 5 chopped celery sticks, 2 carrots and one small onion in 6 TBS of butter for about 10 minutes (or until onion is translucent). Add 4 TBS of cornstarch (the only carby thing and that is not even that bad) and cook for one minute. Whisk in 2 cups of chicken broth or chicken stock. Whisk in 1 cup of heavy cream. Decrease heat to simmer for 10 minutes and stir often. Add cooked chicken, 1 TBS thyme, 2 TBS tarragon, 1/4 cup dry sherry, 1/4 cup frozen peas, 2 teaspoons of salt, 2 TBS minced fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon of black pepper (I add more seasoning but do it to your taste) and stir well.

Last edited by GailyGail; 10-17-2013 at 05:16 PM..
Old 10-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

Morning Gail! I almost made a chicken pot pie with my leftovers from the chicken I baked earlier this week! I did chicken soup instead. It was yummy too!

I have to get in on this TV watching thing......DH and I will watch the news together and we love Survivor, The Amazing Race and the occasional Net Flix movie. He makes fun of my other favorites such as Dancing with the Stars and The Apprentice. I am thankful for the TV in the study to say the least!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, homemade chicken soup sounds really good! I think you and your husband have a good situation worked out -- you watch TV together most of the time and then you can slip into the study to watch your favorites. Tony makes fun of my favorites (Real Housewives) and it drives me nuts. I started to watch Dancing with the Stars and had to change the channel because he would not shut up -- LOL!

How are you doing on your plan? Keep up the great work. Hope everyone has a great day to today. It is a FULL MOON today along with an eclipse so everyone should tread carefully today and be safe!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

Gail! I have to add "What Not To Wear" as one of my favorite TV shows !!! Watching a WNTW Marathon tonight !!! Supposed to be the series finale tonight............don't want it to end !!!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #709

Hey Gail, hope you are having a good weekend!!!! Tony likes Dancing with the Stars mainly to look at the women in skimpy clothing, LOL So that is one he will watch! Went to a Greek Festival, did pretty good LC wise! They had a filet stuffed with feta and black olives on top, Yummy!!! We are going apple and pumpkin picking today!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #710
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, I love What Not to Wear! I love Stacy -- she cracks me up. Amber, we went apple picking two weekends ago and it was so much fun. We gave the apples to our friends because we can't eat them -- I suppose you could make a low carb apple crisp though with CarbQuik! I am trying to stay away from low carb desserts and fruits other than berries because they stall me!

I love Greek Festivals and you made an EXCELLENT food choice -- the filet stuffed with feta and black olives sounds so good. Greek food is so fabulous. It sounds like you are having a great fall weekend!

Tony is at work right now and I am about to go for a long walk, get my nails done and then do a few errands. I have to think about what to make for dinner. I am debating between making a nice bolognese sauce which we can have over zucchini or cabbage or summer squash -- or just going to this good restaurant nearby where they have excellent steak tips and turkey tips.

The weather is still nice here too -- sunny and crisp -- perfect fall day. I hope everyone as a great day today. Lets enjoy fall while we can!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #711

Yeah I will eat a few apples but not too many, the boys will eat them, but they had kiwiberries, never heard of them, they taste like a kiwi but no fuzz you just pick and eat, and fresh raspberries, I got a cheddar cauliflower it was called, sort of orangish yellow I am going to roast it with cashew butter, and make some curry chicken breasts on the grill tomorrow! I am not stressing over carbs from veggies and fruits, only the junk carbs, like I really wanted apple cider but that is loaded! All the baked goods it was so hard seeing those but worse seeing them on my hips forever, LOL

Have a fun weekend!
Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #712
Blabbermouth!!!

Gail enjoy your beautiful fall day !

Supper sounds amazing...... yum.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

Have a splendid Sunday Gail !!!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #714
Major LCF Poster!

Amber, Laura and Susan -- I hope you guys have wonderful Sundays as well! It is a sunny yet blustery day here in Boston -- perfect for a walk along the coast!

Last night, I made something different for dinner. It was a recipe for chicken spinach casserole -- sort of like those spinach dips you see served with chips and pita chips? Of course no chips were served in my house -- but I always liked those old fashioned spinach dips with cheese, garlic, etc. It was really good and super low carb -- like only 3 grams of carbs per serving. I cooked up a batch of boneless/skinless chicken breasts and chopped them up. Then after they cooled, I mixed them with one bag of fresh spinach, a few cloves of garlic, a few TBS of sour cream and mayo and sprinkled with garlic salt and fresh ground pepper. Spray a large pan with cooking spray and then put the mixture in the pan. Top with plenty of shredded mozzerella cheese. You can also add a few sprinkles of feta cheese too and then bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Tony loved it --he said it did not feel like low carb dieting at all!

I think I will make a bolognese sauce today and have that with roasted eggplant and sauteed zucchini. Hope everyone has a GREAT day today!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #715
Major LCF Poster!

We have the bolognese cooking now! As you guys know, we eat one big meal on Sundays, usually in the early afternoon as Tony's life is centered around NFL football -- only kidding but you other wives know what I mean! LOL!

The bolognese recipe came from Food & Wine magazine and it smells divine -- I will let you know how it tastes. And it is surprisingly easy to make! Here is the recipe:

Heat 1 TBS of olive oil in a very large saucepan or cauldron and add one chopped onion, one chopped carrot and one chopped stalk of celery and cook them for 8 minutes. When cooked, transfer to a bowl. Add 3 TBS of olive oil to the same saucepan and add 1/2 pound of ground beef, 1/2 pound of ground veal and 1/4 pound of ground pork over moderate/high heat for 5 minutes. Return veggies to the saucepan and add 2 cloves of chopped garlic and cook for one minute over high heat. Lower heat slightly and add one cup of red wine and cook for 8 minutes. Stir in one can of crushed or peeled tomatoes (one 28 oz can), one cup of chicken stock, 1/2 TSP of thyme and a bayleaf. Season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the saucepan and cook on moderate heat for one hour. Then add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir. Then it is all done!

You can eat this with spaghetti squash or cabbage or low carb pasta. I am having this with roasted eggplant (just coat chopped eggplant in olive oil, salt & pepper and garlic powder and cook for 25-30 minutes in a 400 degree oven). I usually top this with romano cheese. But again, lets see how this turns out. I will let you know!

Last edited by GailyGail; 10-20-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Old 10-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #716
Blabbermouth!!!

From another "Football Widow" your bolognese sounds wonderful ! DH and I were just talking about it last night. lol !

I am making Linda Sue's spinach lasagna today -- recipe is kinda similar ~ with cream cheese...

I need to cook some squash / zucchini later !

Beautiful day here too....... enjoy your Sunday Gail !
Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #717
Major LCF Poster!

Laura, I love Linda Sue's spinach lasagna! So perfect for a fall day! Isn't it amazing when you realize you can have some of your favorite Italian dishes without pasta or bread and they still taste great? Thank God (literally)!

We are eating the bolognese right now and it is delicious. The eggplant works nicely with it too. Tony boiled some cabbage and added a bit of olive oil to it -- that makes a nice pasta substitute if you are sick of spaghetti squash.

Well, so far the Patriots are beating the Jets. Lets keep our fingers crossed for a win.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #718
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes ! PTL !
I bet your dinner was delicious !

DH is watching Cowboys vs. Eagles - 0 to 0 ! He will watch Texans after this one ~ oh boy
Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #719
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Last night, I made something different for dinner. It was a recipe for chicken spinach casserole -- sort of like those spinach dips you see served with chips and pita chips? Of course no chips were served in my house -- but I always liked those old fashioned spinach dips with cheese, garlic, etc. It was really good and super low carb -- like only 3 grams of carbs per serving. I cooked up a batch of boneless/skinless chicken breasts and chopped them up. Then after they cooled, I mixed them with one bag of fresh spinach, a few cloves of garlic, a few TBS of sour cream and mayo and sprinkled with garlic salt and fresh ground pepper. Spray a large pan with cooking spray and then put the mixture in the pan. Top with plenty of shredded mozzerella cheese. You can also add a few sprinkles of feta cheese too and then bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Oh.my.God.

I WILL be making this next Sunday for my weekly lunches. Thank you!
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #720
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
Oh.my.God.

I WILL be making this next Sunday for my weekly lunches. Thank you!

they do sound super good ! I may make that next time I'm off too . Dh would love it !