Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #631
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Hi Gail it's diana - checking in to see how you're doing and it looks as if you're doing GREAT!!!
sorry I missed the tiki party! I collect hawaiian shirts and play a little ukulele!
dq
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #632
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Diana, I wish you would have been there! How awesome that you play the ukulele
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #633
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Gail! I'm trying to catch up on your journal! Looks like you are very much in control! I'm with ya on the seasonal food temptations and feel your pain! KUTGW !
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #634
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, I know it is hard! Today, a co-worker brought in homemade apple cider donuts and I could smell them throughout the office. I am not a breakfast eater but that scent made my tummy rumble.

I try to combat that with low carb food variety. Last night we had low carb Chinese -- a restaurant near us will make our favorite dishes without sugar or salt --and of course we don't eat rice or fried stuff. We got a Szechuan Spiced Chicken (chicken, celery, onions in a spicy brown sauce) and beef teriyaki. Both were good but I woke up feeling really thirsty -- LOL!

Try to find new recipes to keep your palette interested. You can do it!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #635
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
Hello. Your blog is great! I love reading success stories. I am busy back-reading some of your stuff
greengeeny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #636
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Green! You are doing really well too!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #637
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Only one person has noticed yet...and that was my 11 year old son. He said to me...mom, did you lose weight? Your face looks skinnier
Old 10-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #638
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
WTg Gail on passing up that food and eating your yummy LC healthy food ! You are doing so great !!

Greengeeny - kuddos to your son !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #639
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I love how you have found restaurants near you that are so willing to work with your way of eating. I suspect that you just charmed them into doing whatever it is that you want! Both the Italian place and the Chinese place sound great!

All of the apple and pumpkin goodies are about to send me around the bend! They are everywhere you turn! And I'd never even heard of apple cider donuts until a few years ago, but now they are everywhere. I've made a few OMM and flavored them with pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spices, and that has helped scratch the itch.

Keep up with the great work!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #640
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Susan, I know it is hard! Today, a co-worker brought in homemade apple cider donuts and I could smell them throughout the office. I am not a breakfast eater but that scent made my tummy rumble.

I try to combat that with low carb food variety. Last night we had low carb Chinese -- a restaurant near us will make our favorite dishes without sugar or salt --and of course we don't eat rice or fried stuff. We got a Szechuan Spiced Chicken (chicken, celery, onions in a spicy brown sauce) and beef teriyaki. Both were good but I woke up feeling really thirsty -- LOL!

Try to find new recipes to keep your palette interested. You can do it!
So glad I'm retired and don't have to be tempted by "office treats"! It's awesome that you can get yummy food made to order for yourselves! I really think some "low carb" restaurants should open up nationwide! I know many places have low carb options, but wouldn't it be great if the entire menu was geared towards low carb ! I have so many recipes on my laptop....I just need to review them and get inspired.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #641
Major LCF Poster!

Susan and Julia, you would be surprised at how many restaurants are willing to accomodate a low carb diet. All you have to do is ask, really. And it is worth asking in my book. We are regulars at both the Italian and Chinese restaurants and have always been nice, respecteful and tipped well but still.

When I travel for business and have to go out to eat, I will make a special request -- usually for grilled chicken, low carb veggies sauteed in olive oil and a salad, which is easy for most restaurants to make. I simply say that I am either diabetic or have a gluten allergy and the restaurant staff is willing to accomodate that. I read in a low carb blog or book about someone else doing this which inspired me. We owe it to ourselves to try and eat properly when we can and it is not like we are asking for anything fancy or over the top. Heck, most restaurants know how to cook chicken and saute or steam broccoli, asparagus and spinach.

Susan, I agree about having a strictly low carb restaurant -- sometimes I fantasize about opening one or a chain of them. Have you ever been to a high-end Brazilian steakhouse? They are genius. You can order can cut of beef or chicken, grilled the way you like it and then they have a smorgasboard of sides to choose from -- not all low carb but many are.

My restaurant would offer an array of quality grilled protein -- different steaks, fish, shrimp, scallops, chicken and pork at different price points to accommodate everyone and then a variety of low carb SAUCES to choose from. I am a sauce/condiment person and that helps me stay on the diet! And then a variety of different salads as well as a create-your-own-salad option and of course a ton of low carb vegetables with a variety of different BUTTERS to choose from. Desserts would be divided into Induction/OWL like fresh berries with whipped cream and those that are low carb but not OWL like peanut butter mousse or something.

Instead of offering bread & butter when people sit down, I would offer a choice of two dips -- herb dip or cheese dip -- with fresh veggies like cucumber, radishes, celery, fennel, bell pepper, etc. And of course low carb cocktails!

You can see I've been giving this alot of thought! I better get ready to go to work. It takes me forever to blow dry my ridiculous mop of hair.

So Susan, you WILL get inspired! Go look up George Stella's recipes -- those are great (he has a GREAT one for Maryland Crab Cakes)! Linda Sue has good ones too. We are here for you and will be cheering you on every step of the way!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #642
Major LCF Poster!

Gail...your restaurant idea sounds like heaven!!! I would definitely be on board to try that out
Old 10-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #643
Blabbermouth!!!

morning !

Gail I would so travel to go to "your restaurant" Excellent ideas Yum !

Have a great day at work !
Old 10-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #644
Major LCF Poster!

Gail - Build it and we will come !!!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #645
Major LCF Poster!

Hello Lovelies! I hope everyone is having a fabulous Saturday. It started out gloomy early this morning and a little rainy but then the sun poked through and it got really nice. Just a perfect Indian Summer day in New England.

After working out on the eliptical and enjoying a cup of coffee, I spent most of the morning doing errands. I found a lovely painting for our foyer at a local art show which was nice -- quite serendipitious as I was just going to the dry cleaner, drug store, car wash and grocery store (had no intention of buying anything for the home). Sometimes those are the best kind of purchases.

Tony and I went for a nice walk along the ocean -- the sun was shining off the water and the leaves are just turning gold, red and orange, so pretty! It even smelled good -- like ocean mist, leaves and cinnamon. We skipped lunch and are eating dinner early. We are going to grill some steaks and have that with roasted delicata squash and a green salad. Delicata squash is actually pretty low carb and very low calorie -- 3/4 of a cup is 7 carbs and only 34 calories. We cut up the squash, coated it with olive oil, fresh rosemary, sea salt and cracked pepper and it is now roasting in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes. I will let you know how it turns out!

In the meantime, save me from college football and the Presidents Day golf match! I love Tony but sometimes it is hell being with a sports nut. LOL! I can watch pro football because I like the NE Patriots and Bill Belichick but I cannot watch it 24/7. Later this afternoon, "The Wedding Crashers" is on so that is neutral ground -- a movie we can both enjoy. If that does not work, we have On Demand and can catch up on our favorite TV shows like "Homeland," "Breaking Bad" and "Ray Donovan." It is amazing that TV shows have become so much better.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

Last edited by GailyGail; 10-05-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #646
Major LCF Poster!

Gail - it sounds like you had a lovely day! Errands and gift shop browsing make for a great day! I'm so jealous of your autumnal weather! We have HOT & CRISPY weather down here. Hoping for some rain tomorrow from "Karen".

I've never had that squash you refer to. Would like to try it, but don't know how it would go over with DH. He likes oven roasted zuchinni, yellow squash and eggplant. What can you compare the flavor too?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #647
Blabbermouth!!!

morning !! Have a wonderful Sunday ! Your Sat sounded so nice <3 .
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #648
Major LCF Poster!

Susan, the Delicata squash is delicious -- it has a mild, sweet flavor. It tastes like sweet potatoes. It is packed with nutrition and super low in carbs/calories like I said. It makes a nice accompaniment to grilled meats/chicken and a green salad.

Today we are making a curried chicken and cauliflower stirfry:
Curried Chicken and Cauliflower Stir-Fry Recipe Details | Recipe database | washingtonpost.com

It looks pretty easy -- you just saute cut up chicken breast in olive oil, set aside. And then saute the spices (garlic, ginger, curry powder, etc.) and green onions. Add chicken broth and cook chopped cauliflower in the chicken broth for 8-10 minutes. Then combine and stirfry with the chicken, top with cilantro. Pretty good for 11 carbs per serving.

I really liked how the Delicata squash recipe turned out yesterday and it was so EASY. One thing I love about low carb is that if forces me to try new vegetables and new recipes which I actually love doing.

Laura, thanks for stopping by. I hope you don't have to work today and hope that you are enjoying some fun fall festivals with little Shelby (she is so adorable).

Today is rainy and a bit gloomy but I kinda like it. It means that I can relax, light some candles and putter around the house -- and not feel like I have to do anything major.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #649
Major LCF Poster!

I am definitely looking for that squash today since I have a free day - (twins home with dad since he's off duty). I've read up on it and it does sound so yummy! Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #650
Major LCF Poster!

Good Monday morning! I hope you had a lovely day yesterday and are ready for a great week!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #651
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Hearing about your weekend makes me homesick for New England!! Both the Indian summer day and the rainy gloomy day are perfect examples of New England living in the fall. I can almost smell the ocean and cinnamon! *sigh* I think I may need to get up there to visit my siblings and catch a falling leave or two. There is a state park near Mansfield that I used to love to hike in every autumn. The key is to get up there before it gets too cold!

BTW, I love Homeland and Breaking Bad, so I may check out Ray Donovan. Thanks for the tip!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #652
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Great job. Gail. I love delicata!
Portia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #653
Blabbermouth!!!

I looked at the store and couldn't find any delicata. All we have is HEB and Walmart here. If I head to Houston soon , I will look there.

Have a great week Gail !
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #654
Major LCF Poster!

Couldn't find the delicata. Did pick up an acorn squash from the Amish for $1.
Baked it with butter - yummy! Will continue to try to locate delicata.

Tonight's dinner - Chicken Cordon Bleu (will roll in parmesan instead of bread crumbs).

We got alot of wind and rain yesterday! It's much cooler too!

Have a great day Gail!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #655
Major LCF Poster!

Last night, I made a great dish that I wanted to share with you guys.
First you steam some broccoli. And then you cut up boneless/skinless chicken breast, sprinkle it with salt & pepper and garlic powder and saute in olive oil until cooked (not browned though). Add three chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh rosemary and some chopped fresh garlic. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Then add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and bring to a boil. Let simmer for a three or four minutes. Add the broccoli and 1/2 cup of romano or parmesan cheese. (If you want a thicker sauce, you can add a bit of cornstarch or xantham gum). Add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes and additional salt & pepper to taste.

This is delicious -- tastes like your ordered it a a nice Italian restaurant. The recipe is originally from Pierre Franey only I omitted the pasta of course! Who needs pasta when you already have great flavor, right?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #656
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing
Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #657
Major LCF Poster!

We just had a good dinner --turkey burgers and green salad. Everything was nice and fresh. The sunset and the smaller "fingernail" moon were just beautiful tonight.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #658
Blabbermouth!!!

ooooooohh !! That recipe sounds yummy.... Hope you had a great day !
Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #659
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Last night, I made a great dish that I wanted to share with you guys.
First you steam some broccoli. And then you cut up boneless/skinless chicken breast, sprinkle it with salt & pepper and garlic powder and saute in olive oil until cooked (not browned though). Add three chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh rosemary and some chopped fresh garlic. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Then add 1/4 cup of heavy cream and bring to a boil. Let simmer for a three or four minutes. Add the broccoli and 1/2 cup of romano or parmesan cheese. (If you want a thicker sauce, you can add a bit of cornstarch or xantham gum). Add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes and additional salt & pepper to taste.

This is delicious -- tastes like your ordered it a a nice Italian restaurant. The recipe is originally from Pierre Franey only I omitted the pasta of course! Who needs pasta when you already have great flavor, right?
Must try this one!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #660
Major LCF Poster!

It is really good, Susan -- especially if you like garlic and basil flavors in a cream sauce. The chicken cooks up nice and tender and is complimented nicely by tomatoes and broccoli.

It is a gorgeous morning here in Boston. So sad that Fall goes by so quickly but I will try to enjoy it while I can. I am going away this weekend, just for one night to Kittery, Maine, to stay with a girlfriend. Actually, three of us are getting together on Saturday. We will go shopping at the Kittery outlets and then out for dinner and drinks in Portsmouth, NH, which is a really lovely place. They eat "normally," meaning they don't eat low carb, so hopefully I will be able to navigate this weekend.