Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Julia, how was the conference? You will have to fill me in! We had a bunch of hot weather here in Boston this past week but today you can feel the cooler air start to filter in. I woke up with TOM so now I feel kind of achey and crampy but one thing I notice is this: my TOM symptoms are much lighter and easier when I eat low carb. Funny, isn't it? I have to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. I am going to see if I can find a low carb seafood stew or something like that. Or maybe I'll just grill some salmon or swordfish?
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Trying hard today. I went for a six mile walk along the coast and then got my nails done -- I know, such a trying day, LOL! I made a low carb chicken ginger broccoli stirfry, chicken satay and beef teriyaki for our one meal today. It turned out well. We are enjoying it now in front of the TV. Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #603
Major LCF Poster!

I am ready for another week! As of today, I have been on low carb for one month and I have lost 10 pounds so far! I need to keep going and need strength, motivation and discipline to fuel this. I pray to God I can stick to the WOE and make it my lifestyle. I feel like I really, really want to do it this time -- no slacking off or following off the horse.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #604
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Ten pounds!!! WHOOO-HOOO!!!
I know you can make this a lifestyle. You already have. Just keep taking it a day at a time. It's not like some steel wall comes down and all of the carbs in the world disappear forever! Choosing a low carb lifestyle just means you make the best choices for your body everytime you eat. You ARE doing it!!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #605
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Trish! I really appreciate your support and good wishes. I am eating my green salad with grilled salmon as my co-workers tuck into sandwiches, pizza and pasta. But surprisingly I am not coveting their food, which is a good thing!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #606
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
Gail you are doing amazing ! 10lbs is great ! and yes, you seem to have made the LC woe a reality that you don't plan to stray from and that will be great for your health. So happy you are enjoying it too :0
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #607
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I'm so happy for you! I know how hard it is to be surrounded and still truck on. You can do it!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #608
Major LCF Poster!

Laura and Julia, thank you so much!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

So my low carb friends, I need your advice. I am planning a fun party for my office -- our culture is great and they encourage socializing, etc. So I am throwing a Tiki Party (sort of like a luau) on Friday -- from 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM-ish. I don't have to have heavy food -- just drinks, nibbles, etc. I am making a famous Mai Tai recipe and will have beer, wine on hand too. For snacks, I got the proverbial chips & salsa, a couple of gourmet snack mixes, nuts and Tiki Cocktail-flavored cupcakes (Mai Tai, Blue Hawaii and Choco-Loco flavors -- all sound outrageously good. I work near a gourmet cupcake bakery so these should be fabulous -- the choc-loco is chocolate cupcake soaked in Malibu rum with whipped cream frosting and coconut cream inside). I am also getting some "Polynesian" food delivered like pot stickers, chicken wings, beef and chicken teriyaki, shrimp, etc.

I don't think I am going to eat -- maybe just a handful of nuts and I think I will nurse a glass of white wine. The Mai Tai recipe is killer and I will have to take a small sip to get the taste just right but there are way too many carbs in a drink that features fresh squeezed orange juice, pineapple juice, lime juice, four different kinds of rums and orange curacao, LOL! Maybe I'll have the 151 proof rum on the rocks with a splash of soda water -- LOL, Just Kidding of course! I still need to drive home!

This is one of those times when I wish I could eat carbs but I am putting that thought out of my head. I will busy myself making Mai Tais and handing out leis -- rather that looking longingly at those cupcakes!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #610
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like a fabulous party !! Why not have a meat/cheese/fruit tray so you can eat some snacks too ?
I would eat the shrimp and wings for sure !

Have a great time !
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #611
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny, my sister in Boston recently organized a tiki party for her office as well. Her workplace is super social too as they cater to clients a lot.

Anyway, my two cents is to not just stick to nuts. If you deprive yourself it may lead to rebellion and all caution thrown to the wind. I say enjoy some protein and as a 151 fan, I strongly encourage you to partake in that!

Enjoy the party, socialize, and enjoy the healthiest options available. As far as the cupcakes, just try to avoid eye contact. Remember, focus on the people and not the food.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #612
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, ladies, great advice! Trish, I have not had 151 in years so I may just do that! I like the idea of a meat/cheese/fruit tray too!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #613
Major LCF Poster!

It is almost time for the Tiki Party! Hopefully, I will have self control. The cupcakes have arrived and of course they look amazing. I have to stay far away from them. Truthfully, my bigger enemy is the chips and salsa. Of course me being me, I had to get the really delicious gourmet salsa and chips just to really tempt my fat self -- LOL!

I do have a plan -- I am going to gnaw on some chicken teriyaki and nurse a wine spritzer. No cheating for me. I met two girlfriends last night for drinks and it was very tough I tell you. Why is socializing on low carb hard sometimes? Anyhoo, I had a vodka and soda -- just one because I did not have time to eat all day and alcohol is hard on an empty stomach. They ordered fried calamari, ahi tuna and bruschetta for appetizers so I could nibble on the ahi tuna, which was great. I was able to drive home just fine, thank goodness.

Wish me luck ladies as I enter the land of temptation!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #614
Blabbermouth!!!

You can do it Gail ! You have awesome will power and have been doing so well. Today will be no different ! Have a blast at your party and enjoy yourself
Old 09-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #615
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope the party was a big hit, LC and otherwise!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #616
Major LCF Poster!

Laura and Trish -- thank you so much! The Tiki party was really fun and the Mai Tais turned out wonderfully. I had to take one tiny sip to see if I got it right. Fortunately, it did not knock me out of ketosis -- yes, I am one of those neurotic types that test for Ketosis at least 2-3 times per day. I don't weight myself often so testing for ketosis is the best way for me to see if I am still on track.

Like I said earlier, I nursed a glass of white wine and did not eat anything. It is amazing how fast people will gobble up junk food at a party. I am glad they ate everything so I wouldn't have to deal with leftovers! There were tons of cupcakes left over but fortunately people took those home. When I got home last night, I was pretty hungry and so was Tony. We live right near this wonderful Italian restaurant that makes special low carb dishes for us AND delivers. So I tucked into a nice plate of chicken breast and broccoli sauteed in garlic and olive oil. It was so good -- so who needs cupcakes, chips & salsa, potstickers, crab rangoon and spring rolls when you can have that?

I have to say that I feel awfully lucky to be around so many nice people at this time in my life. I know it sounds corny but the folks here on this board are just great and I love everyone at work and in my personal life. Sometimes you just wake up and realize how lucky you are -- even if you are struggling to lose 60 more pounds (like me -- LOL!).

I am not sad about it though -- I know I can lose the weight and keep it off if I just stick to the low carb way of life, which I hope and plan to do so. Once you get into the groove with it, it really isn't that hard and it becomes enjoyable. What has always bedeviled me in the past was this: something bad would happen in my life and I would cheat on the low carb diet. And instead of just getting back on the horse again, I would stay off plan and use the proverbial "my life is so hard" excuse to eat anything I wanted for comfort or pleasure.

I see where that thinking is such a dead end. I really miss being thin and looking attractive -- as awful and superficial as that sounds. I am sick of wearing pants with an elastic waist band. Now I am not a fat hater or a fat shamer by any means but I look forward to the day when I can go shopping and not get freaked out by what I see in the dressing room mirror.

Anyway, onward and upward. I have a business trip to New York City this coming week -- I will be working with two clients at Advertising Week. Hopefully, I can stay on track with low carb. Keeping my fingers crossed that I do.

Last edited by GailyGail; 09-21-2013 at 04:56 AM..
Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #617
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Yay! I'm so glad the tiki party went well. And double-yay that all the leftovers went home with others!

And I totally agree with what you said about the support from the board. It makes a huge difference to know there is always someone who will have your back! And we've got yours!

Good luck on your trip to NYC! I was able to eat on plan in NYC and only felt oh-pity-me once or twice! You can do it!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #618
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Hi Gail!♥ Thank you for visiting my journal last week. I'm so happy to come here and see you doing so well.

The tiki party sounds like it was a major hit! WTG on keeping to your promises and staying on plan. Feels good, doesn't it?

It's lovely when you can sit back and be truly grateful for all that you have, espeically the people in your life. I know I've gone through some hard-knocks the last couple years and I am SO grateful to the handful of people who have stuck by me unconditionally without ever waivering. It's the best feeling to know you're cared about so much!

You will do awesome in NYC, have a great time!!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #619
Blabbermouth!!!

I just knew you would do great ! the party sounds like a big hit and YOU are a superstar for staying strong and having yummy food with Tony later..... Super !!!

You will do great in NYC ! I've never been there so I'll live vicariously through you when you get to go !

Enjoy your weekend ! ( and I think you are so beautiful in your Avi - beautiful inside and out ) Blessings !!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #620
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
It's beautiful here in the NYC area just now - you should have a nice week weather wise. Next time you come we should make a plan!

I know what you mean about wanting to look good. Death to the elastic waist!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #621
Major LCF Poster!

Dani, thank you for stopping by -- always so good to see you, my fellow Virgo friend. Laura, thank you for the lovely compliment. Jes, I would love to get together with you in New York -- I go there frequently. Julia, you know I love you -- LOL!

It is a rainy morning here in Boston. I am going to go into work and get a bunch of things done before I go to NYC early tomorrow morning. I am trying to think of what we will eat today. Tony will be zoned out this afternoon, napping and watching the Patriots game on TV. I am going to find a low carb "comfort food" recipe online somewhere -- maybe look at Linda Sue's or George Stella's recipes. Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #622
Blabbermouth!!!

Have a wonderful day Gail ! I was thinking about making her spinach lasagna today or tomorrow. It's really good and easy.
DH is cooking a brisket on the pit and making a pot of beans - so we will have that around for several days .

Have a wonderful time in NYC ! I hope to get there one day !
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

Laura, if you have the chance, you really should go to NYC -- you would love it. It really is a magnificent one-of-a-kind city that crackles with energy and intensity. All of the positive cliches about it are true. I used to work right in Manhattan and sometimes I really miss it. There were some days and nights that I felt positively alive there.

We decided to grill some Italian sausages and have those with sauteed peppers/onions and a green salad. The weather got nice here at around noon -- the sun poked out and now it is a gorgeous early fall day here in coastal New England. After I came home from work, I went for a five mile walk along the ocean. I could start to smell the scents of fall -- apple cinnamon pies baking, fresh leaves, charcoal grills and ocean mist. It made me feel excited to be on the low carb journey now. And, no carby Foods of Fall -- like popcorn, pumpkin lattes and Halloween candy -- you will NOT tempt me.

Truth is, every season has specific foods associated with it. Winter is hot chocolate, hot toddies, comfort foods (like mac and cheese, lasagne, spaghetti bolognese), fresh bread, homemade soup, Christmas cookies, chocolate. Spring is big fruit bowls, ham, sweet potato casserole, gourmet brunches, mimosas, Easter candy and cookies. Summer is anything for the cookout (burgers and fries, corn on the cob, watermelon), ice cream, shakes, lobster, sangria, gin and tonics. Fall is homemade pie, jams, pumpkin flavored anything, Halloween candy, cider, donuts, Thanksgiving food and chicken pot pie

So every season is going to be rife with temptation. I used to hold off going back on low carb because it was a certain season and I wanted to eat foods associated with that season. Corn on the cob and burgers in buns are my big weaknesses in the summer. Junky snack mixes tend to bedevil me in the winter (although I love really well done gourmet Thanksgiving food but only in the Fall. I don't like to eat it during any other time).

I am just grateful that we can do this now -- that right now, in the Fall, I feel like eating low carb is exactly what I should be doing. And I want to feel that in December, when we welcome Winter and again in March/April, when we usher in Spring. I really need and want to do this and pray to God for continued strength and resolve.

Wishing everyone a really great Sunday and a truly wonderful week ahead. xo xo xo
Old 09-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #624
Blabbermouth!!!

your day sounds amazing....... and you have such great resolve to stay LC !!

have a wonderful Sunday Gail
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #625
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I absolutely love pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks. I bought some Toranis(or Davincis, not sure which) pumpkin and s'mores flavored syrups to put in my coffee. So, so good, and it makes me not even miss going Starbucks. This is the best time of the year, IMHO.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

Cfine, me too! We have Dunkin' Donuts up here and they make pumpkin spice coffee that is very low in carbs. It is so good in the Fall!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #627
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys, I have a great recipe for you. It is low carb but not Induction but still really good. I did not eat all day today until dinner (I know -- I am a bad dog but I was really busy at work and I am never hungry in the morning) so I did save up my carbs for it. This is a recipe for crustless chicken pot pie. If you live in New England or the Northeast, you know that a really good homemade chicken pot pie is delicious when the weather gets colder. If you are from the southern, southwest or Midwest regions, you will still love this dish. Essentially it is chicken and vegetables in a savory sauce baked into a pie crust. We do this without the pie crust of course (although some folks make a crust or biscuits out of CarbQuik. I don't because I cannot afford the carbs).

Here is what I did:
Cut three boneless/skinless chicken breast into strips (or use pre-cut chicken tenders that are NOT breaded -- just pure skinless/boneless chicken breast.)
Spray a big pan with Pam (or another cooking spray) and place the chicken in the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.
In a large pot, saute five stalks of celery, one whole white or yellow onion and a small handful of carrots in 6 TBS of butter for 8-10 minutes (or until the veggies are soft and the onion is translucent)
Add 2 1/2 TBS of cornstarch (or another low carb flour substitute like xantham gum)
Saute for one minute and then add 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock or chicken broth
Add 1 cup of heavy cream and stir constantly. Simmer for about 5-6 minutes
Add 1/2 cup of dry sherry, 1-2 TBS of tarragon (I add a ton -- like 3 TBS but I like flavorful food), 1 TBS of thyme, 1 TBS salt, 1 TBS pepper, 1 cup of frozen peas
Simmer for a bit and adjust seasoning to taste
Serve hot

We loved this and it really hit the spot. It is starting to get a little chilly here in Boston so Tony and I were craving comfort food. It was nice to enjoy this without the excess carbs.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #628
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh I forgot to mention to add at least 3-4 TBS of fresh chopped parsley to the pot just after you add the sherry, tarragon and thyme for the chicken pot pie recipe. Sorry! I know I am a dork but the fresh parsley really makes a difference. Plus it is good for you.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #629
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
That sounds so yummy. I wonder if coconut milk in a can would still taste good in place of the HWC? My DD can't eat dairy. I just might try it.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:55 AM   #630
Major LCF Poster!

Cfine I bet that would work. I am making a pumpkin soup today -- it is totally low carb and very good for you. You must combine either fresh pumpkin or canned 100% pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filing but real pumpkin) with chicken broth, heavy cream, salt and pepper and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, Splenda brown sugar substitute). If you like it savory not sweet, you can add fresh garlic, onions and onion powder.