Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #571
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
Woot woot! Congrats on the six pound loss AND the job promotion!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Thank you, Cfine! I am in the midst of a long weekend birthday celebration (my birthday is tomorrow) so I am trying to stay on track. My girlfriends are taking me to lunch today so I picked a high-end steakhouse with plenty of low carb choices!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Happy Happy Birthday! I hope you have had a wonderful weekend and have a great lunch with your girlfriends! Remember, you can order loaded broccoli (my current favorite) and you can always stick a candle in a steak to make your wish!

Have a wonderful day, and enjoy your celebration!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks. I am going to try to be very good at lunch today -- think I will get the grilled chicken chopped salad and stay on track! That and one glass of champagne!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #575
Major LCF Poster!

Yay! Happy Birthday to me!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Happy happy birthday Gail! I hope you have the most amazing day!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

It is so hard coming back to work after an extra long weekend! I am having a hard time getting adjusted!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

I am still staying on track with the low carb plan. We have been really strict -- sticking to grilled chicken and salad. Has anyone tried the Atkins frozen meals? I really don't care for frozen entrees -- too much salt and preservatives plus the taste does not appeal to me -- but paying for lunch every day is crazy. I work in a nice area of Boston and even getting a simple salad costs at least $12.00 which is crazy. If anyone has any lunch ideas, please let me know! Thank you and have a great day!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #579
Major LCF Poster!

Gail, I sympathize with you. Lunch is my husband's biggest expense. Is it possible for you to pack a lunch, or even stock a fridge with safe things you can pull together? I keep the fridge at my store stocked for me and my staff. I know that isn't possible everywhere, though.

I tried the Atkins frozen meals. I wasn't too impressed. But I do have them in the freezer for just in case - but I only are the first one. I can always find something better to decide on.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #580
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, I like your approach. I should have some frozen meals stocked just in case. I think I am going to have to start fixing a salad with protein to bring in to work. I got another salad today (fresh greens, broccoli, salmon, a tiny bit of red onion & tomato) but it is still expensive. Still I am making progress by having lunch in the first place --as you know, I am a notorious breakfast and lunch skipper -- which only means that I eat a huge dinner at night. So that bad habit has GOT TO GO!

I do feel better having a light lunch with protein every day though. I avoid that late afternoon slump and don't eat nearly as much at dinner. Tonight we are having pork sauteed in garlic and olive oil along with the Barefoot Contessa's Eggplant Gratin. If crave Italian food, the eggplant gratin is to die for. You simply saute eggplant slices in olive oil and set them aside. Preheat oven to 325. Place one layer of eggplant slices in a baking dish. Layer low carb marinara sauce on top. Layer a mixture of ricotta mixture (which is ricotta cheese, one egg, 1/4 cup of half and half, spices, salt & pepper beaten together) on top of that and keep making those layers until you are done. Top with either grated romano cheese or parm cheese and bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Really good and really low carb when you want satisfying, flavorful treat!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #581
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh, I realize I gave the wrong cooking instructions above. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and cook the eggplant for 30 minutes. Here is the link to the Barefoot Contessa's recipe. I LOVE HER!
Eggplant Gratin Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

Yum! That sounds so yummy. I was craving Italian the other night and this will be perfect for the next time.

I have become a lunch skipper. I eat breakfast, but usually late - around 9:45. The store opens at 10. Then I don't have lunch at all, and I'm ready to eat dinner at 6. This evolved because my husband eats lunch at 11:45 and is ready for dinner right after work. Back when I'd eat lunch at 2 (I can't eat lunch from about 11-2 because we usually have customers running errands on their lunch) I wouldn't be hungry at 6. This is what works for me.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #583
Major LCF Poster!

Do you eat a good breakfast though Julia? Are you full until 6:00 PM. You must be because it sounds like it really works for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

There is a fast food place locally called Jack's and I get two eggs and four slices of bacon for $2.61. Hot smoking deal! I couldn't even make it much cheaper. That and coffee keep me going - coffee with hwc. But I am full all day with that.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #585
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, that is a great deal!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #586
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Yay! Happy Birthday to me!
Sorry I missed YOUR day! Kindred spirits you and I!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Monica -- hope you had a GREAT birthday too fellow Virgo! There are lots of Virgos on this board -- no wonder why I love so many folks here!

Today is a GORGEOUS day in Boston -- perfect mix of summer/fall -- sunny and warm but not humid with a lovely breeze. Tony went back to work today (yay!). He did the early AM shift and got home at 2:00 PM. So we skipped lunch and ate an early dinner. Grilled burgers and all-natural hot dogs, green salad, grilled veggies. Eating outdoors on the deck in this gorgeous weather. Sometimes it is the simple things, you know?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #588
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Hope you had a

You sound like you are rocking that healthy food plan. I am a BIG fan of prepping my week's worth of lunches on Sunday afternoon. I'm lucky enough to have a fridge at work and can take all five serving in on Monday and have them easy to grab come lunchtime. Saves me remembering to bring it each morning.

Besides salads, I've done quiches, grilled chicken breasts, chili bowls, or even cheese/olive/veggies/nut plates portioned in individual baggies.

Try it for one week and see how you make out!
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #589
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, thanks for the birthday wishes and the GREAT ideas for work lunches! The cheese/olive/veggie/nut plate sounds really delicious! Sometimes I forget about the plethora of goodies we can eat that are still on plan!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Hello Lovelies! I hope everyone is having a glorious Sunday! The weather here is gorgeous again in Boston -- sunny but not humid with a lovely breeze and a touch of Fall in the air. Tony and I went for a eight mile walk along the coast and it was gorgeous.

As many of you know, we eat one big meal on Sunday -- usually in the early afternoon. We skip breakfast, just have coffee or tea, eat our big meal in the early afternoon and if we are hungry in the early evening, Tony will snack on nuts and I will stick to herbal tea or maybe have a small dish of berries. This works well for us. I know it is not for everyone.

I wanted to make a delicious dish for us for Tony to have while he watched the New England Patriots game at 1:00 PM today -- I knew we would be hungry after the walk. When I am not on low carb, one of my favorite dishes is Ziti Broccoli and Chicken. I found a great recipe by Pierre Franey, a great french chef, that I followed -- without the ziti of course! It turned out really well so I wanted to share it with you!

First you steam a bunch of broccoli florets lightly -- don't overcook, just get them bright green
Then heat up 2 TBS of olive oil in a large saute pan. Cook cut up boneless/skinless chicken breast for one minute (do not brown) and add salt and pepper. Add 2 cloves of chopped/minced fresh garlic. Then add chopped fresh tomato, oregano and rosemary as well as 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Bring the this to a boil and simmer for two minutes. Sprinkle in hot pepper flakes. Add broccoli and stir well. Now add one cup of romano cheese (you can use parmesan too) and stir well. Serve with chopped fresh italian parsley on top.

I also added cooked jumbo shrimp to this and it made it really tasty. Anyway, I hope everyone has a glorious Sunday. xo xo xo
Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

Hoping to have a great week staying on plan this week! It is going to be a tough week -- very busy with LOTS of work so I really I hope I can do this!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #592

Quote:
Hello Lovelies! I hope everyone is having a glorious Sunday! The weather here is gorgeous again in Boston -- sunny but not humid with a lovely breeze and a touch of Fall in the air. Tony and I went for a eight mile walk along the coast and it was gorgeous.
JEALOUS girl! Here in KS (MIDDLE of USA) there is nothing glorious to look at. DH and I have been to Boston, what's not to love there????
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #593

That recipe sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!! I am going to have to try that.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #594
Major LCF Poster!

Monica, it was really good and flavorful -- plus super fast and easy! It only took me about 15-20 minutes to whip it together and it was very low carb. Even better, it has that luxurious taste and flavors that I associate with my favorite pasta dishes but can no longer have. And, hey, Kansas has PLENTY of good points and wonderful things. First of all, the people are MUCH nicer and friendlier! People here not so much -- I am a native so I can say that safely -- and it is true. People are just not that nice. Plus the farms and open air in Kansas are lovely. There is really is some beauty in most places.

Tony and I just both love the ocean so that is why we chose to come back home to Boston after several years of living in other places (New York and Miami). He is from Maine so he loves nature and the coastline. I grew up in a beach town thirty minutes south of Boston so I craved the ocean too. Our condo isn't big but our ocean views are really nice. And I am fortunate to work for a company that resides right on Boston Harbor -- so I have nice water views when I get to the office too.

It wasn't always like this -- I worked and lived in plenty of not so nice places! I think that is the benefit of getting older. You figure out what you really like and you're not afraid to go for it -- knowing that life is short! I think you also figure out that it really is the simple things that make you happy. And by simple things I mean nature -- whether it is the ocean, forest, farmland, lakes, desert, etc. -- being with great people and enjoying daily pleasures like a good book, a roaring fire or a nice glass of wine. The older I get, the more I believe that.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
I think you also figure out that it really is the simple things that make you happy. And by simple things I mean nature -- whether it is the ocean, forest, farmland, lakes, desert, etc. -- being with great people and enjoying daily pleasures like a good book, a roaring fire or a nice glass of wine. The older I get, the more I believe that.
All the nature that surrounds me is my 'church'.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #596
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just wanted to pop in and say hi looks like your are staying on plan and doing great!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #597
Major LCF Poster!

Great to hear from you guys, Trish and Cfine. Trish, you and I agree on lots of things! Cfine, you are doing really well too! We have to stick together and get this weight off -- I know we can do this and WILL do this!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #598
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know what I would do without LCF.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #599
Major LCF Poster!

I agree LCF is the BEST. I come here every day for inspiration, advice and support. I need to adopt low carb as self-sustaining lifestyle, and while I have stayed with it for the past 3 1/2 weeks, I still need the support. It is not easy -- especially when you have alot of weight to lose! I start to get impatient.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #600
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with how important LCF is for me! I'm at a conference and I keep wanting to check the forums! I can't on my iPhone and I am having withdrawal. I'm supposed to be up packing right now but I'm checking out what I've missed for the past few days!