Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
The Oopsie rolls were not bad -- they have like zero carbs in comparison to the low-carb rolls we get from Carb Krunchers which are like 13 grams of carbs. Worth it if you can stick to one sandwich and have no or very very few carbs throughout the day. However, I was told by Sugar Free Sheila (who is the high priestess guru of low carb - I'm serious, this lovely lady is a genius) to avoid low carb products like tortillas, rolls, bars and shakes to hasten weight loss. She's totally right. So we made little mini Oopsie rolls -- mini fresh turkey sandwiches, italian (salami, capiacola, provolone) and all natural peanut butter and sugar-free jelly sliders. They were delicious!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Gail, Sheila is right about staying clear of the LC pre-packaged foods as much as possible. I do use the LC tortillas about once a week on a day when my carbs in other meals are low. I only have bars on hand for traveling. Sheila does have a great pancake recipe on her site for a special treat.

There is a thread of recipes from an old member KevinPa (who passed away) who did some amazing baking. He used a lot of special ingredients but if you are looking for a really good bun/bread recipe it might be worth getting the ingredients.

Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes - Low Carb Friends
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, thank you so much for the great advice! I am going to check out Kevinpa's recipes for sure. Is that your Boston Terrier in your avatar? What an adorable dog! I love that breed! Hope you have a good day today.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Arrrgh -- I am having a tough day today. I am stressed/anxious about work and wish I could eat something crunchy/salty to make me feel better. I am not hungry, mind you. I skipped breakfast but had a good lunch of grilled shrimp and leafy salad greens dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and a tiny bit of crumbled blue cheese.

We keep getting Christmas food gift baskets from our clients so our office kitchen is filled with treats -- big chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, savory snack mixes, fancy truffles and bon bons, holiday cookies, pumpkin bread -- you name it.

Ugh. I am going to go make myself a cup of herbal tea and go back to work.

Someone please tell me that this will all be worth it!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Hello, would you mind if I started folowing your journal?

It is worth it, look at the pounds you lost already!
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Velvet, I am so happy that you want to follow -- welcome!!! Thank you for telling me that it is worth it as some days are harder than others! You must love living in the Netherlands -- are you near Amsterdam?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Stay strong, Gail, it's absolutely worth it!! I wish we didn't have to struggle so hard some days, but just keep remembering how empowered you'll feel if you resist. I'm struggling today too. I just keep guzzling water because I KNOW it will pass. I've been here a hundred times. As soon as I distract myself enough, I'll forget all about that fake hunger and feel great that I did.

In fact, I'm going to ride my exercise bike now! That'll give me double bragging rights.

BBL
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Stay STRONG Gail !!!! You do not want or need that "carbage" !!!! I started my LC last December (12/12/11) and I was so glad I started before Christmas because by New Year's Eve, I was 10 pounds lighter and everyone noticed!
If you want something salty and crunchy.....try dill pickle chips dipped in Ranch dressing or make yourself some parmesan cheese chips. You can do it! I know you can!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

BBL and Susan -- I love you both -- you have no idea -- THANK YOU. Susan, I love the term "carbage" -- LOL -- that is FANTASTIC! I am going to use that all the time. And THANK YOU for telling me that you lost 11 pounds in three weeks right smack in the middle of the holidays. That was a lifeline and I humbly "thank you." BBL, you are fabulous -- you are like a warrior princess in the fight against carbs (carbage -- hee!). I really like your attitude, BBL, and how you use water to fight off fake hunger. I am adopting that strategy right now. Thank you so much ladies -- you have convinced me that our world is a good place filled with lovely, kind, strong people.

And lovely ladies, I should say now that I did NOT cheat! I stayed in my office and focused on my work, finishing up my project earlier than anticipated. Then I went home and Tony had a good low carb dinner waiting -- turkey breast, greek salad and sauteed spinach. I stuck to moderate portions and treated myself to a teaspoon of all natural peanut butter, followed by herb tea.

Thanks so much Susan and BBL -- big hugs to both of you!

Last edited by GailyGail; 11-28-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Good girl! Feels great to be in control, doesn't it? Of course, we're bound to have days when we cave, but it's not today.

I think this was actually my worst day yet. PMS definitely makes it harder! I get full of self pity and bad attitude, then I either eat too much low carb food or I get MAD. I chose the mad today. Pedaled my butt off on that bike and drank over 100 oz. of water. Yeessssssss... victory!

If the scale doesn't move tomorrow, I'm gonna cry.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

You did it! Another double victory. :-) No cheating, and finishing up work earlier than expected!

I am not near amsterdam. altough the netherlands is quite small and everything is kinda close. But it is a 4 hour train ride to amsterdam for me.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Velvet! I just finished up a very healthy lunch -- grilled shrimp and a side salad with olive oil and crumbled blue cheese and an iced tea. Very satisfying. I went to lunch with a group of colleagues at a nice oceanfront bistro. They had pepperoni pizza, grilled steak sandwiches, french fries and lobster rolls with homemade potato chips and I do not even covet their food. I was happy with mine. That's a good step forward.

What did you guys eat today?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

My scale did NOT move today so I just made some Dobie's Muffins. They're my go-to, low cal, low carb, fill you up when you're horrendously hungry food. I made banana this time. I prefer blueberry, but didn't have any blueberry DaVinci's on hand.

Your lunch sounds good. I'm having some shrimpers for dinner tonight.

After 1200 calories, 25 carbs and 9 glasses of water yesterday, with still no scale movement, I've decided my problem has to be the PMS or the increase in exercise I had this week. Either way, I guess I'll just try not to get bummed and wait it out. Don't have many other options, do I?

Have a nice day, Gail - hope there's no carbage there for you to look at!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

NH, it must be PMS or water weight because you are doing all the right things -- in fact, you are perfect. In addition, you are already slim (even though you may not be at the ideal weight that you want to be at) so I think slender folks lose a bit more slowly because they really don't have much to lose! I mean this in the nicest possible way! Please don't give up hope -- even if you already do look terrific because you can still reach your goal with a little more patience.

I've been reading in other threads that PMS can delay weight loss by a few days or even weeks and then all of a sudden the Whoosh Fairy comes along -- and three to five pounds vanish, just like that. So lets agree that the Whoosh Fairy is going to visit you very soon!

What are Dobie's Muffins by the way? They sound terrific --and I have GOT to get some DaVinci's syrup! Hope you have a great day and night too, NH. For dinner, we are having a low carb chicken casserole with cooked chicken breast, broccoli, yellow peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh dill, garlic, mayo and sour cream topped with slivered almonds. It sounds gross but it is very good baked and super low carb.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Ugh, I am eating too much of this low carb chicken casserole. It is good and it is low carb but I feel like a huge sow having another portion. One great thing about low carb is that you have one portion and BOOM you are full. Now here I am eating away, watching the "Nashville" TV show on demand (OMG - I love that show. I am a East Coast person and not a country music lover but this show is fantastic). I am going to put the fork down and make a cup of herbal tea. Brush my teeth and call it a day.

What is it about night eating in front of the TV that is so joyous, fun, seductive? It is a favorite activity/bad thing to do and I hang my head in shame admitting that in this forum. Oh goodness, what I would not give for a salty snack mix (any kind of salty snacks will do -- love the combo of corn chips, mini pretzels, corn nuts, cheese puffs, asian crackers, wasabi peas, Sun Chips, just any kind of mix will do for me.) That is my bete noire. Imagine, stupid snack mix pushing me around. I should be ashamed.

Snack mix: F*** you. Sorry for the swear, folks. And I did not really swear: I really said Fool you. Snack mix, you mean old bully. You will NOT get the best of me.

Ladies, for you who have conquered the food demons, please share you stories and advice of how you conquered the food craving demon. All insights are welcome. And gents are welcome too. Although the only gent I know on this board is the wonderful Z, who is a hero and an amazing person who will reach his goal in no time!

Hugs, kisses and good vibes to everyone tonight. May tomorrow be a great day for everyone!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

I think it's all those stupid food commercials! Look away! Look away!

I (being FAR from perfect) can't kick that night time munchy habit to save my life. I have to shave a couple hundred calories off of breakfast so I have enough left for my bedtime snack. Tonight it's a 12" stalk of celery with 2 Tbsp. of cream cheese in it. I actually missed dinner because I went to run errands and do some shopping before my afternoon hunger mania could hit. Amazing that I always forget to be hungry when I'm out and about. And I was buying groceries too.

It's snowing! Wish it would pile up so I could play in it!

Gail, are you from Boston originally? 'Cuz when I read your posts, I imagine them with the accent.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12

Well, we did survive the holiday didn't we!

About the tv salty snacks, I always keep individual serving sizes of macadamia nuts and also small pkgs of pine nuts. I get them at Walgreens. Also, beef sticks and Just The Cheese snack treats, they are amazing. I like the white cheddar and there are other flavors. Hope this helps!

Good luck!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

NH, I am originally from Boston but I don't have the accent. My mom was not from New England and hated the Boston accent so she drummed it out of us as children. I do love working in Boston and I just right outside of the city by the ocean. I love NH -- are you from there originally?

Thanks NH and Scalestepper for your thoughts and recommendations on night snacking. I should go get the individual servings of macademia nuts -- that is a great idea. The celery and cream cheese sound good too!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I'm originally from the southern tier of NY. I guess we sound like mid-westerners because DH and I spent the summer there and no one had an accent. We only moved to NH 4 years ago, but wish we'd done it sooner. I'm in love with the mountains.

I haven't seen Boston yet, though it's only an hour and a half away. But I tend to avoid busy cities. I have a 1 ton truck with a tall cap and it won't fit in parking garages.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

That is hilarious! NH is so beautiful -- I can see why you love it there!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Not eating anything so far today -- just not hungry yet. I nursed a cup of coffee this morning and then had green tea at work. Now I am drinking water.

I got a good performance review and a raise so we are treating ourselves to a nice dinner at DelFrisco's, an upscale steakhouse that is near my office. I think we will get NY strip steaks, creamed spinach and asparagus. Does anyone have good plans for dinner tonight? If so, please share!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

No plans here, but yours sure sound nice. I'm home alone this weekend. I was attempting to eat a chicken breast, but I leaned forward for the remote and flipped the plate off my lap and onto the rug. I barely got to it before my dog did! Glad I vaccuumed today.

Congratulations on the good review and the raise! I'm really happy for you!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks NH -- you are such a lovely person and I love reading your smart, funny, helpful posts. Hey, did you get anything for dinner? Were you able to clean off the chicken? Or can you make yourself some eggs or an omlette? So funny that the dog came along to hoover it up -- LOL. Do you have a big dog? Dogs are such wonderful love bugs -- they just want attention, love and food! Hope you have a great night and PLEASE get something to eat, even if it some celery & cream cheese & nuts!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stephkp
Stats: 265/199.6/140
WOE: my own
Start Date: last year
Congrats on the raise and good review! Your dinner plans sound awesome. Enjoy that steak, you have earned it. I hope you have a great weekend.

Stephanie
stephkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/148/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Hey Gail! You are really doing awesome! Your sweetie is a real asset in the kitchen! Your menus sound so yummy - makes my mouth drool !
I'm hoping for a number change on the scale very soon - been stuck for several days!!! Frustrating !
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gail - I cleaned that chicken off and ate it (5 second rule). There was only one hair on it and it was mine. If there had been dog hair on it, I would've given it to her. That's why she was diving for it. She knows.

My dog is a mix of lab, rottweiler and (?) we don't know what else. We got her from the pound as a puppy. She's about 80 lbs. and the bigger breeds usually only live 10-12 years. She turned 13 last month. Still seems to be enjoying life, though she doesn't hear or see so well anymore. She experiences life with her nose now.

Finally, my scale went down a pound. I moved some heavy stuff from storage yesterday, then fell asleep without eating my bedtime snack. Not sure which one caused it.

Have a nice weekend, Gail! It's snowing here now, but it's going to be spring-like by Sunday. You'll probably have to break out the shorts down there.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Oh, almost forgot - Dobie's muffin recipe is here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...al-muffin.html

I use golden flax seed (tastes better), flavored DaVincis instead of Splenda and quadruple it to make 24 at a time. Throw them in the freezer in a gallon ziplock bag and you can nuke a couple for 30 seconds for a quick breakfast or snack. The muffin pan has to be sprayed with Pam, even if it's a non-stick pan. They're very clingy.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

NH, congratulations on your weight loss! That is a great way to start a Saturday morning! And, THANK YOU for the Dobie Muffin mix! Yay! I definitely want to make those. It is snowing this morning in Boston too. I just went out for my walk and it was a winter wonderland. I love snow just before and around the holidays. After that, not so much! Your dog sounds so adorable -- I love Lab/Rotty mixes. She must have such a sweet pretty face.

Susan, the Whoosh Fairy will visit you soon and you will be down 2-3 pounds before you know it. In fact, I'll bet she visits you this weekend.

We are going to make chicken wings and eggplant gratin today for dinner after I return from getting my hair highlighted and Christmas shopping. If you guys like eggplant parmagiana or Italian food, this recipe from Barefoot Contessa is really good. You simply sautee eggplant slices in olive oil and garlic. And then you layer it in a baking dish with low-sugar marinara sauce, a ricotta mixture (ricotta cheese, egg, fresh basil, salt & pepper) and put fresh parmesan or romano cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. It is scrumptious and only 6 grams of carbs per serving. It makes a great side dish to have with a protein.

NH, Steph and Susan -- I hope you guys have a GREAT weekend!

Last edited by GailyGail; 12-01-2012 at 06:29 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

That dish sounds wonderfull! I should make that someday.

Congrats on the raise, it is always nice to see hard work apriciated. How did you highlights turn out?

I went to the hair dresser today, because I would love to go blonde, but my hair dresser told me to wait with that since I still have the bottom 20 cm of my hair blackish red (years and years of home dye) So I am going to have to wait another 6 months before I can go blonde. We wentfor copper light brown instead.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Velvet, I think copper light brown is gorgeous. It sounds awesome. Yes, try the eggplant if you like Italian food. It is really luscious but so low carb. I actually got low lights -- darker strands woven into my hair -- because I like to go a little darker for the winter. I just love copper light brown though -- you must look fantastic!