Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Gail, that dip sounds great. I ended up making garlic parmesan wings. They turned out pretty good but I will alter the recipe slightly the next time I make them. I enjoyed doing something social for the first time in a few weeks and it was the first day I did not go to the hospital so we had a full day together.

I have some of the carb crunchers bagels in my freezer but I rarely eat them. I thought I would be wanting them all the time but amazingly I have gotten used used to not eating bread. I do have a LC tortilla once in a while though. Now if I get a chance to go to France I will be eating bread there! Not like it will happen this year but that is the one time I will eat bread when I want to.

Great job on eating a nice clean LC dinner. It will pay off in the end!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Yay Frankie! You know how to live the low carb life and make it work. Can you please share your recipe for garlic parmesan wings? Tony would love something like that.

It is always hard to stay on low carb but always worth it -- even for those things that don't involve immediate weight loss. Staying on low-carb eases my TOM and pre-menopause symptoms (NOT in menopause yet but eating low carb really eases or alleviates those symptoms). It also helps me sleep better and naturally keeps me regular. Sorry to gross everyone out but there is nothing worse than insomina, constipation and PMS. When you find that eating correctly helps or eliminates those awful illnesses, it can be a wonderful breakthrough indeed.

Big hugs and kisses to everyone out there. Lets all support each other in this battle!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Made a good dinner last night -- chicken breast tenders with low carb barbeque sauce and stirfry vegetables -- so easy. You know those packages of broccoli slaw that you find in the produce section? We just stirfried that in vegetable oil, fresh ginger and fresh garlic and it came out great -- and only 5 grams of carbs per serving.

Hope everyone has a great day today! xo xo xo
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #334
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Made a good dinner last night -- chicken breast tenders with low carb barbeque sauce and stirfry vegetables -- so easy. You know those packages of broccoli slaw that you find in the produce section? We just stirfried that in vegetable oil, fresh ginger and fresh garlic and it came out great -- and only 5 grams of carbs per serving.

Hope everyone has a great day today! xo xo xo
I love the slaw. It's my emergency stir fry. Made it last week with scallops, bit of butter and garlic. Insane.
Portia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Jes, that sounds delicious! I must try that. I am using the slaw tonight to make Bobby Flay's cole slaw recipe which is fantastic. He just mixes the slaw with sour cream, mayo, ground mustard, celery seed, celery salt, a packet of Splenda and white vinegar. It is tangy and delicious. We are having that with turkey burgers.

How is everything going for you Jes? It is great to see you by the way!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #336
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Gail, have you made zucchini noodles? I had them for dinner the other night with Alfredo sauce. I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven! Noodles!
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #337
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, I have tried zucchini noodles and I love them! I found a great recipe in the Low Carb Lobby where you make them with sauteed onions, mushrooms and homemade alfredo sauce and it is fabulous.

Also, I just started using coconut oil -- I just have one teaspoon in the morning -- and wow! It is a great appetite suppressant. It really works like magic.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #338
Major LCF Poster!

I love coconut oil! I have two tablespoons in my coffee in the morning. Amazing! And my lips are so soft! My skin is in great shape this winter, md I'm convinced it is the co. The appetite suppression is incredible.

I have some mushrooms and I think I will have some Zoodles and mushrooms and Alfredo for dinner. Yum!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is the Garlic Parmesan wing recipe:
"The trick to keeping these oven-baked chicken wings crispy, is parboiling the wings in a flavorful liquid, which helps season the chicken and produce a surface texture in the oven that your guests will swear came straight out of a deep fryer."

INGREDIENTS:
cooking spray
3 quarts cold water
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup salt
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
4 pounds chicken wings, separated at joints, tips discarded
2 tablespoons fine bread crumbs ( I used the crappy grated parmesan in the green can instead of bread crumbs)
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat foil with cooking spray.
2. Combine water, vinegar, 1/4 cup salt, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and rosemary in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Add chicken wings, return to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove chicken wings with a slotted spoon to a cooling rack and allow to dry for 15 minutes.
3. Mash garlic and a pinch of salt together in a mortar and pestle until smooth. (or use a food processor)
4. Combine mashed garlic, olive oil, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add chicken wings and bread crumbs; toss to coat. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (sprinkle a little at a time and mix and sprinkle some more so it does not clump). Transfer wings to the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until browned, 20 to 25 minutes.

** The only thing I would change is to lower the oven temp to 400 and add 10-15 minutes to the cooking time as my wings did not get crispy enough.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Zuchinni noodles? Do you make those yourself? We always use zuchinni as the pasta layer in lasagna. Those Garlic Parmesan Wings sounds jummy.
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #341
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, thank you for that fantastic recipe! I cannot wait to make those wings -- Tony will LOVE them! Sannie, it is so easy to make the aucchini noodles. I have a recipe that I will post shortly. We are expecting a major blizzard here in Boston/the Northeast tomorrow and through the weekend. We are supposed to get 18 inches of snow with 60 mile per hour winds! Yikes! We are stocking up and will surely make those wings. I am also going to try that Pumpkin Bake recipe that everyone keeps talking about!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Sannie, here is a recipe for zucchini noodles. We added sauteed mushrooms and homemade alfredo sauce to this but it works in a variety of different ways:

Trim the ends off the zucchini. Using the wide julienne blade of a mandolin, shred the zucchini lengthwise into noodle-like strips. You could do this with a very sharp knife by cutting the zucchini lengthwise into very thin slabs, then cut each slab into thin strips. Cut strips to desired length. Sauté zucchini in butter in a non-stick skillet until slightly limp, but not mushy. Season as desired with salt and pepper, etc. You can use some Spicy Seasoning Salt and pepper. Serve as a side dish or top with tomato or other kind of sauce. They have a texture similar to thick egg noodles. (Linda Sue suggests trying this as "spaghetti" and meatballs sometime.)

Carb count will depend on serving size, but estimate:

Per Serving: 39 Calories; 3g Fat; 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Quote:
We are expecting a major blizzard here in Boston/the Northeast tomorrow and through the weekend. We are supposed to get 18 inches of snow with 60 mile per hour winds! Yikes! We are stocking up and will surely make those wings.
As a former New Englander, I know how crazy it is up the right now. It must be hard to resist the urge to stock up on bread and milk! (which always baffled me since both are perishable ) You are wise to plan yummy low carb comfort foods for the inevitable 'blizzard eating'.

My sister lives in Boston and my brother in Providence, so I'll be sending all of you good vibes. Hope it is good enough to allow you to snuggle down for the weekend but not bad enough to knock out the heat or electricity. Stay safe!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Gail - don't forget to fill some containers with extra water, in case the power goes out. I have a feeling the power crews are going to be overwhelmed. A clean bathtub works, if you don't have enough containers!

I have all my "primitive camping" stuff here, but need to fill a 2nd propane tank in the morning. I'll freeze to death if I can't run my Big Buddy heater (temps of -5 with the windchill are forecast here). In my area, we're usually the first to lose power and the last to get restored.

Stay warm!
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Y'all be careful! Stay warm and I hope it's not nearly as bad as predicted!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #346
Major LCF Poster!

Trish, thank you so much! I really appreciate it!. We have stocked up and I am presently making Pumpkin Bake as we speak. I have a bunch of Atkins bars, shakes and low-carb snacks that are non-perishable in case we lose power. Where does your sister live in Boston? Your brother is lucky to live in Providence -- I love that area!

NH -- it is so nice to see you! I have not see you in ages and I hope you are well! Yes, we are well stocked with water -- thanks for the recommendation! I hope you and your husband and dog will be safe in the storm -- wishing you comfort and peace. I'll bet it is beautiful where you are, like a winter wonderland!

Julia, you are very lucky to be in Alabama! We are projected to get almost three feet of snow with Hurricane force winds at 60 miles per hour plus coastal flooding. We live right on the ocean so I am worried about flooding.

I am cooking some food this morning that we can eat later. I just got a George Foreman Grille -- at last -- and I LOVE it. I made grilled chicken last night and it was so tender and juicy. I can see why so many people are George Foreman converts!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 222/222/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 05/16/2014
Nice to see a face from an old journal of mine doing better than I have..... I will start journaling again soon.... just fell off the wagon before it got very far and keep trying to crawl back on. Not sure if I want to start a new journal (start fresh) or just continue the one I had started and failed at....
sweetpoison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Trish, thank you so much! I really appreciate it!. We have stocked up and I am presently making Pumpkin Bake as we speak. I have a bunch of Atkins bars, shakes and low-carb snacks that are non-perishable in case we lose power. Where does your sister live in Boston? Your brother is lucky to live in Providence -- I love that area!
My sister just moved from an apartment in JP to Somerville. She's bummed about switching T lines, but it was a better living situation. She works on Newbury Street.

My brother is a chef at a popular gastropub down in Providence called The Abbey. I recommend it next time you find yourself in the area!

They are both my younger siblings (my sister is ten years my junior) so I feel quite motherly towards them. I’m really hoping they are going to be OK through the storm.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

SweetPoison, you are fabulous and gorgeous -- don't you worry -- you will get it done. It is great to see you again!

Trish, Newbury Street is the best place in Boston so good for your sister. I am glad she found a great place to live in Somerville -- that is a very cool area. I've heard gret things about The Abbey -- your brother must be super talented. Your siblings should be okay. The snow is starting to come down pretty heavy right now so I hope your sister is on her way home because they are going to shut down public transporation and the roads fairly soon. Providence won't get hit as badly as Boston.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Your siblings should be okay. The snow is starting to come down pretty heavy right now so I hope your sister is on her way home because they are going to shut down public transporation and the roads fairly soon. Providence won't get hit as badly as Boston.
Thanks Gail. You stay safe!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #351
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love my GF grill. I like do grill salmon fillets on mine. Just a little spices and in minutes a perfectly grilled dinner, and not over cooked. I hate ordering salmon and having it come dry. On the GF it cooks in just a couple of minutes.

Hang in there with the storm Gail. Maybe this will be a good weekend to do some de-cluttering and organizing to stay busy and warm inside.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, that is exactly what I am doing now! Thank you for stopping in, love. It always so great to have your wise, gorgeous, thoughtful presence! Trish, are your siblings at home or someplace safe? It is starting to get kind of rough out there now. We live on the water and when I go outside on the balcony, I can see how rough the storm really is. The winds are crazy and the snow is just wild. They say that later tonight, we will get the worst of it. So I hope they are going home soon!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Gail - I've been fine, still maintaining and still doing too much shopping. I just love that pastels are finally back in style!

I don't get to gab so much online lately - DH has been assigned some new territory at work and I've been doing research on various places we might park the RV for a "home base". Probably on a lake north of Dallas for a while and who knows where after that. He'll be running crews from TX to Washington to Ohio. He's currently in Milwaukee, so the dog and I are riding the storm out together. She's not much help with the shoveling.

Just saw on the news that your roads are all closed there... hope your power stays on! It's starting to get blizzardish here now, but the worst is supposed to be about 1:00 am.
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Ive been watching the weather channel all night and thinking about y'all! I hope your power is still on and y'all are comfy and cozy! Check in when you can.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #355
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, we have lots of snow but we did not lose power, thank goodness! Of course, we could lose it today as we are expected to get two more feet of snow. NH, I am glad that the dog is keeping you company! It must be a fun adventure traveling with your husband. Anyway, it is great to see you again!

I have to say -- it is beautiful outside. Just a white winter wonderland!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
WOW ..... lots of snow. Stay safe
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy, thank you for stopping in -- I have missed you! And thanks for the good wishes. You are so lucky to live in beautiful Vancouver -- wow, what a gorgeous place. I hope you are having a really good weekend.

We are finallly digging out of three feet of snow! Holy moly! The sun is shining here and starting to melt. I made a nice low carb feast -- a low carb beef bourguignon, low carb "Red Lobster" biscuits (made with CarbQuik), fresh green salad with extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice and a really good red wine. I also found a low carb chocolate mousse to make for Tony (I can't have it or else I will go over my carb count). I made the beef bourguignon without potatoes and carrots but with really good pearl onions, fancy mushrooms, good quality beef and a sauce enhanced with red wine and a splash of cognac. It turned out fabulous -- perfect comfort food for a cold day. We are eating now in front of the fire, watching the Pebble Beach golf tournament with Dusty Springfield playing in the background. What can I say? We are very multimedia in order to meet my tastes and Tony's tastes! Now, we will rest and face the week ahead!

I hope everyone had a great weekend or at least stayed warm and safe. xo xo xo

Last edited by GailyGail; 02-10-2013 at 01:48 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #358
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey, Gail! Sounds wonderful. Did you follow a recipe for the beef or just use a standard one without the carrots (I don't think it normally contains potatoes)?

I made a slow cooker one last year. It was fabulous but I can't find the recipe!

Jes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #359
Major LCF Poster!

Portia, I used the Barefoot Contessa's Beef Bourguignon recipe and omitted the carrots and potatoes and went easy on the flour amount. Here is is below. We really liked it!

1 tablespoon good olive oil
8 ounces dry cured center cut applewood smoked bacon, diced
2 1/2 pounds chuck beef cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound carrots, sliced diagonally into 1-inch chunks
2 yellow onions, sliced
2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
1/2 cup Cognac
1 (750 ml.) bottle good dry red wine such as Cote du Rhone or Pinot Noir
1 can (2 cups) beef broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pound frozen whole onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms stems discarded, caps thickly sliced

For serving:
Country bread or Sour Dough, toasted or grilled and rubbed with garlic clove
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is lightly browned. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a large plate.

Dry the beef cubes with paper towels and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. In batches in single layers, sear the beef in the hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove the seared cubes to the plate with the bacon and continue searing until all the beef is browned. Set aside.

Toss the carrots, and onions, 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper in the fat in the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the Cognac, stand back, and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol. Put the meat and bacon back into the pot with the juices. Add the bottle of wine plus enough beef broth to almost cover the meat. Add the tomato paste and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the oven for about 1 1/4 hours or until the meat and vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork.

Combine 2 tablespoons of butter and the flour with a fork and stir into the stew. Add the frozen onions. Saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter for 10 minutes until lightly browned and then add to the stew. Bring the stew to a boil on top of the stove, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste.

To serve, toast the bread in the toaster or oven. Rub each slice on 1 side with a cut clove of garlic. For each serving, spoon the stew over a slice of bread and sprinkle with parsley.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #360
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Gail! That sounds wonderful and I think I can throw it on the crock pot after browning.