Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Gail I was thinking about you today when I was behind a car with red sox bumper stickers. I'm glad that conjured you up, because I've certainly missed reading your sweet posts here and other blogs on the site. You've been such a bright and cheery voice so many times for me, and I want to thank you for that. I hope that the winter blahs don't have you too far down, and we see you around more often again.
JMacB is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #302
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
I'm glad that conjured you up, because I've certainly missed reading your sweet posts here and other blogs on the site. You've been such a bright and cheery voice so many times for me, and I want to thank you for that. I hope that the winter blahs don't have you too far down, and we see you around more often again.

Just like the tides, life has it's own ebb and flow. Don't feel too lost in the melancholy as it normally is the prologue to new joys.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Gail, my BF has the opposite reaction to cold dreary, snowy weather. It has been unseasonably warm and sunny here in Dallas and he is in the dumps because it is not cold! He was lamenting today that winter was gone and he was very upset.

I hope you do come in to journal when things are not going so great. This is the time people are here to support you, motivate you and commiserate with you,,,not just when things are peachy. Hang in there!
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
I love you guys -- thank you! Julia, I feel the same way about you! Trish, I completely agree with and appreciate your perspective and Frankie, you are as wise and true as ever. Thank you -- you all made me feel so much better.

I am back! I lost that business proposal I mentioned earlier -- we lost to a much bigger company with global reach even though our proposal was better. So I was feeling down about that and then the cold winter blahs set in -- plus I've been having terrible technology problems! Tony's dad (who just lost his wife, Tony's mom, last May) came to visit us over the weekend and he was understandly sad and grieving. By the time Sunday rolled around, I was reaching for the carbs. Then the Patriots lost spectacularly which made me even more morose. Monday was a holiday here (MLK Day) so I had two days of eating my favorite junk. You know, chex mix, potato chips and grilled cheese sandwiches.

I did not eat gargantuan amounts -- thank God. Just one sandwich and two cups of chex mix on Sunday (that was all I had to eat that day -- I know, it's gross and not healthy). On Monday, all I ate was a cheeseburger on a low carb bun but Tony and I split a bag of Ruffles chips. So I gained two pounds by the time I hit the scale on Tuesday. Since then, I have already lost 1.8 pounds by staying true to low carb. Pivoting back to low carb feels really good and I am enjoying my eating. In fact, I am having grilled boneless chicken in a spicy sweet and sour marinade (homemade using sugar free honey and Srichnara sauce, Szechuan green beans and a very good glass of red wine).

The thing is this: the carb binges are really not that fun. I need to find something else to soothe me when life hands me things I don't like. Carby food does not solve the situation -- it only numbs the momentary emotional pain I feel by taking my attention away from it. Going into a carb haze may feel good initially but then ultimately you feel even sadder -- like you gave up on yourself because you could not find the strength or industrial fortitude to say "this too shall pass" and "this pain is temporary and tomorrow will be a better day." I need to better manage my emotions (i.e. not get so down when things don't go my way and then blow the situation out of proportion and make it worse than it really is) so that I can better manage how I manage my food intake.

I hope this makes sense because I feel like I am rambling! Thank you guys so much for supporting me and being there for me. I feel like you really are my friends and for that, I am forever grateful. I hope I can do the same for all of you.

Big hugs and kisses to you guys and wishing you a great day tomorrow!

Last edited by GailyGail; 01-24-2013 at 05:24 PM..
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #305
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
I'm sorry that you've had some down time happening.Glad you're back and with your fighting spirit. Ramble away, you're better able to convey exactly things that I've felt at any given moment. Be good to you!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, Danielle! How are you? How is JUDD going? It continues to so incredibly COLD here in the northeast. We are going to get a bunch of snow tonight. By Monday, it will go back up to 39 degrees and get somewhat back to normal!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Gail, "39" is not "normal". That is freaking cold! I'm terrified of what you are calling cold!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Julia, it is 16 degrees here right now and it feels even colder because I live and work right near the ocean -- so the wind chill is just frigid. You are lucky to live in Alabama is all I can say! How are things going for you?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Things are good! I'm picking up a friend at the airport for a fun weekend. My son is eating a slice of pizza in the backseat and it smells so good! Killing me! And it's cold enough that I have on socks - yuck!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

I'm in the cell phone lot waiting for her - not driving and posting!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #311
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
The thing is this: the carb binges are really not that fun. I need to find something else to soothe me when life hands me things I don't like. Carby food does not solve the situation -- it only numbs the momentary emotional pain I feel by taking my attention away from it. Going into a carb haze may feel good initially but then ultimately you feel even sadder -- like you gave up on yourself because you could not find the strength or industrial fortitude to say "this too shall pass" and "this pain is temporary and tomorrow will be a better day." I need to better manage my emotions (i.e. not get so down when things don't go my way and then blow the situation out of proportion and make it worse than it really is) so that I can better manage how I manage my food intake.
Gail, this is a big statement. Being aware that the off plan eating is not all that great and in the end backfires when you feel worse about yourself and your lack of control is key for me. One thing I have done is to put pretty much all our carby food in one cabinet. If I open that cabinet, even to look, I make myself stop and assess why I am even opening the cabinet. I stop and think about my stress level and/or if I am holding onto emotions and want to mask these uncomfortable feelings with food. Once I stop to actually think about why I am reaching for food, it helps to lower my urge to eat. I am able to then focus on the real reason why I want food, which has nothing to do with hunger. Having the carby items in that one cabinet is a visual and physical reminder that I am heading into a place where I will feel worse if I continue on and eat x carby food off plan.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, you are so wise -- it is like you have a Ph.D in food psychology. I am serious! You could moonlight as a psychologist for people with eating issues. Julia, I know the smell of pizza drives me crazy!!!

It is still freezing here today. I am off to the hair salon this morning and then I will cook a nice low carb meal for us. I hope everyone is having a great Saturday.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, I am actually preparing to go back to school for another masters degree, completely changing careers to go into counseling psychology. I have been looking for something that I can do as I get older that is mentally stimulating and rewarding. I want to focus on women's issues/trauma and eating disorders. I have found two programs in my area and one that I think will suit me. I have been out to review the program and I just have to take the GRE. This is a big issue for me as I do not take standardized tests well even though I am an excellent student and for my last graduate degree I had a 4.0 average.

A good day for you to get some pampering in the salon. I love a fresh cut and color, makes me feel great. I hope you enjoy your day and your lovely LC meal.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, that is FANTASTIC! You would be an amazing therapist or psychologist and I believe that would be an extremely rewarding career. Can you do some of the standardized test prep that is out there? I heard some of those courses and programs are actually pretty effective.

It is still very chilly here and I have to figure out what to cook today. I bought a bunch of kale to make kale chips, which I hope will stave off my salty cravings!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, so I am making chicken with zesty no-sugar barbeque sauce and stir fry veggies with fresh ginger and garlic. Also making spiced and sweet and savory nuts which will be delicious with a nice cocktail in front of a roaring fire on this cold day!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #316
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Good morning GG,

Glad you are doing good but I know the weather is depressing, I hate cold weather.

Keep up the good work.
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail the chicken and nuts sound yummy. I have to really watch myself around nuts, especially those with spices I like. I can just eat way too many, way too easily. I have never tried kale chips. I have seen them at Trader Joe's but thought it was like buying air and the chips looked too broken up. Let me know how yours came out.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Y'all need to try kale chips. It scratched that chip itch for me rally well! But don't buy them - make them. Too expensive otherwise!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

The kale chips are good. Does anyone use any seasoning with them besides sea salt? I would love to experiment with new seasonings. We had eggplant lasagne for dinner tonight -- it was great and super low carb -- plus very easy to make!

It is finally warmer here in Boston --very windy but temps are around 50 which feels like heaven! I am eager for spring!

How is everyone else doing? The dog days of winter can be hard to slog through.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, I am glad you are getting a break in the weather. I grew up in RI so I know the winters can be long.

Did you toss the kale leaves lightly with oil and then season? And what oven temp and for how long do they bake?

Your lasagna sounds good too, love anything Italian inspired. I have not been eating all that great, it's all been low carb and within my calorie limit but it's all been quick foods as I have not had time to cook (been back at the hospital for the last week 12 hours a day with my BF's mom). I did order some nice ribeyes for Friday and I have plenty of bacon and gyro meat for tomorrow. I am trying to up my protein a bit over the next week.

I hope you have a good day tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, I used the Food Network's recipe for kale chips -- you bake them at 275 degrees for 20 minutes -- just flip the kale chips over after the first 10 minutes. First I toss them lightly with olive oil and sea salt before baking. I find the lower temperature oven prevents them from burning.

I am so sorry your BF's mom is sick -- that is a hard thing to go through. I've been there with my mom and Tony's mom -- and it ain't easy. I am thinking of you and sending good vibes your way. Where in RI are you from? I love Rhode Island -- I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

You might think about whipping up some creamed spinach or a cauliflower casserole or roasted cauliflower to have with those lovely rib eyes! Tonight, we are making a stirfry with chicken, roasted cashews and asparagus -- only 9 grams of carbs per serving. I found the recipe in Food & Wine. If it ends up being a good one, I will post the recipe.

Hope everyone has an excellent day today - xo xo xo
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #322
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
The kale chips sound tasty... and I've never even had kale before! LOL

Hooray for warmer temps for you! Blowing some of my sun towards you, I've got too much.
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Here I am! I've missed so much of your journal while I was off procrastinating! Thanks for checking in on me... and for still being here!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #324
Major LCF Poster!

Danielle, thank you for sending some sun our way! The sun his shining now -- so I think Mr. Sun heard you and followed your command!

Ann, welcome back! We missed you! How have you been?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

The stirfry with chicken, roasted cashews and asparagus was pretty good -- not great -- but good. It needed more spice so thank goodness I had some Srirarcha sauce nearby but any kind of good hot sauce will do.

This satisfied the Asian food craving. You really just roast some cashews for 8 minutes. Then you toss chunks of boneless/skinless chicken breast with fish sauce. In a wok or large skillet, heat up some vegetable oil. Add the chicken and cook over high heat. Once cooked through, return chicken to a plate. Then pour some chicken stock in the skillet, bring to a simmer. Add chopped fresh asparagus, cook and cover over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Transfer asparagus to the plate with the chicken. In the skillet, add one teaspoon of fish sauce, along with oyster sauce, fresh lime juice and cayenne pepper. Simmer about 2 or 3 minutes. Return chicken and asparagus to the skillet and toss to heat through. Lower heat and add roasted cashews and chopped fresh basil. Season with black pepper, salt and hot red pepper flakes.

Okay -- so that's that. I saw what I think could be a very good recipe for those of us who have a sweet/salt fixation. I am just coming off TOM and when that happens, I crave the sweet/salt flavor mix -- think salted caramel ice cream, chocolate covered pretzels, honey or sweet flavored chex mix, ice cream cones, peanut brittle -- you get the drift. One of the greatest low carbers of all time -- Kent Altena (who has the most killer "before and after" story on the Atkins site) -- came up with this recipe along with his son. It is for "low carb" puppy chow. Now don't get grossed out -- work with me here.

They combine naturall peanut butter with sugar-free cocoa powder, coconut oil, butter, liquid splenda and a splenda packet in a saucepan and cook until it is very warm. You spread it over pork rinds, sprinkle a few Splenda powder packets on top and then chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

I might try this for Super Bowl Sunday. We have to take my sister out for dinner on that night for her birthday -- but we are having an early dinner that night so we should be home by 8:00 PM. I can make this before I go so Tony has a nice snack on Super Bowl Sunday. What are you guys doing? I don't care much as the Patriots are not playing.

But I need to stay on low carb!

Last edited by GailyGail; 01-31-2013 at 05:35 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The Puppy Chow recipe sounds better than the one I have seen from Linda. Yours, with the SF cocoa power and CO seems better than using LC chocolate chips because I don't necessarily keep those on hand. But hers has peanut butter, which paired with chocolate or cocoa might be quite tasty (thinking Reeses PB Cups).

We were invited to a superbowl party and I have not decided what to bring. Gotta figure there will not be a lot of LC options so I better bring one I like. Maybe stuffed mushroom caps or cheese and salami roll ups. I might make some of my microwaved pepperoni chips for myself for eating some dips or guacamole.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

Frankie, all of those options sound great! A nice charcuterie and cheese plate would be good. My favorite standby is the Barefoot Contessa Herb Dip (sour cream, a little mayo, chopped fresh dill, chives, scallions, kosher salt, cracked black pepper) with fresh veggies to go with it. If you want something heartier, you could do a queso dip with low-carb pita chips too. I hope you have FUN at your party!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

Actually, Frankie, here is the actual Barefoot Contessa Herb Dip recipe. Everytime I make this, people go crazy for it. It is so simple to make but the secret is the fresh dill, parsley and scallions -- it makes the dip really fresh-tasting.

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 scallions, white and green parts, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

I usually serve this with celery, baby carrots, radishes, cherry tomatoes, fennel, broccoli and blanched asparagus.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

How did everyone survive the Super Bowl? We had it easy as it was my sister's birthday and we took her out for dinner and then returned home in time to watch the second half of the game. So we didn't go to parties where we were tempted by the food spread. For dinner, I had salmon and a salad -- the safest route I could find!

I found this interesting place called the Protein Bakery. The ship really delicous low carb treats (cookies, blondies, bars) anywhere in the US. Each cookie has about 6 grams of carbs. I have not tried them but they seem like a good option for folks with sweet cravings. I have stopped eating the Carb Krunchers hamburger buns after finding out that they weren't just 13 grams of carbs each -- actually much higher in carbs accordin to Linda's Diet Delites (where we bought the Carb Krunchers products). We have since switched to buns from Healthwise, which are only 7 grams of carbs per bun and even more delicious. We don't eat the low carb buns that often -- only about 2-3 times per week -- but they make a big difference when you are craving a sandwich or a burger on a bun. If I keep my carbs very low on the days that I eat the buns, I can still lose weight so that's good.

How is everyone else doing? I am sorry I haven't been that available. I think I am still depressed but hoping to chase that away!