Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Scalestepper, that is a great idea! Ann, let me know about your egg fast!

Speaking of work, I just got back from a business lunch. We work next door to a really good restaurant in Boston called Legal Seafoods -- this one is right on the ocean. Anyway, my lunch companions ordered a delicious looking lobster macaroni and cheese --- this was gourmet style done with homemade ziti pasta, guyere cheese, big chunks of lobster and buttery bread crumbs. Another guy got a big lobster roll that came with a giant pile of fries and onion rings. I stayed strong with my grilled swordfish salad -- which was really light and lovely as it was served with fresh fennel, tomatoes and chickpeas (I did not eat the chickpeas) in a light dressing of olive oil and lemon.

Again, sometimes it is so hard to stay on plan when there are so many temptations around!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

I ate well yesterday. You saw my lunch above (swordfish salad) and for dinner, we had Spicy Asian chicken breasts and green beans. Today, I just had coffee for breakfast. I am really busy at work so I may skip lunch or nosh on the turkey/provolone roll-ups that I brought in.

I am in Ketosis but the weight loss just feels like it is going so slowly. I hate looking in the mirror and seeing my big stomach and rolls of backfat. I know it won't go away with a magic wand but still. I really need to get rid of this negative self-talk because this is just the sort of thing that sabotages me every time. I stay on low carb for two months with the best of intentions and then when I don't lose fast enough I say "Forget it. Maybe I am just meant to be fat during this part of my life. Maybe I should just embrace Fat, bigger sizes and say pass the snack mix, popcorn, cocktails and homemade bread." But I really don't want to do that.

If anyone has any sage advice, please enlighten me! I will say that watching the great success of my beloved Low Carb Friends like Susan, Scalestepper, Sannie, Ann, Z, Amber and many others does keep me motivated though. Thank God for you guys.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Gail, your lunch of swordfish salad sounded really tasty.

I know the feeling of wanting the weight off and your body shape to change NOW. When I work hard and I am focused on eating right, I expect to see some big changes in my body for all my effort. I then have to think back at all the months and years of eating crappy high carb food and never really paying attention to my body changes along the way until I would try something on that was too small or looked hideously tight on me. This was way more demoralizing and sad than it is now knowing I am on plan and doing everything right to change my body. It is weird but I cannot see the weight loss I have had (over 100lbs and I still cannot see it in the mirror) but I know it is real with the smaller clothing sizes I put on. I am now super focused on my "problem" areas of thighs, lower abdomen and arms. I know I did not gain it all at once and it is going to take a lot of time to get it off. When I am having days where I hate the look of my body I focus on how well I am doing with food. I go to my food/weight log and look at the weight loss graph over the last 6 moths. This is real, I can see that downward trend, there is no mirror fooling my eyes and there is no focus on my problem spots, it is a graph showing I am successful. When I cannot see the change in the mirror I can see the change on the graph and that if I eat way off plan or give up that graph can all too quickly go back up.

I also have binge tendencies when I am stressed or want to avoid my emotions and I feel an overwhelming urge to eat, and eat a lot of really bad food. Now I focus on sitting with the uncomfortable feelings and understanding that eating off plan will only make me feel worse. So I make my plan workable for me. I do eat small amounts of some higher carb foods on certain planned days, but I stay in my calorie/carb limit that I have set for the day. If I am in a stressed mood I change my plan and stick to higher fat LC foods only.

I also have to like what I am eating. I can go for days eating the same things over and over and then all of a sudden I get bored with my food. This is a danger area for me. At this point I eat my favorite LC foods like avocado, gyro meat, bacon, shrimp and cheese. This gets my mind back in the groove of loving LC again. If I feel at all deprived it is a huge pitfall for me. Luckily with LC there are so many great tasting and satisfying foods that I can eat that I don't have to go to that dangerous area of feeling deprived.

One of my motivators to stay on plan is clothes. I have arranged clothes in my closet for the next few lower sizes. I try on the next size down pants every few weeks. When I can see that they are getting closer and closer to fitting this encourages me to keep to my plan. I also look at a pair of pants that is from close to my high point. This is painful to know I had let myself get this big but also encouraging to know that I have the ability to change my body, just not overnight. When I finally fit into the smaller pants I do a little happy dance.

These are the things that motivate and sustain me. I am not sure what will work for you, but you can find those things and have them available when you have doubts and feel like giving in. Hang in there, you can get through this tough spot.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #274
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
Gail, your lunch of swordfish salad sounded really tasty.

I know the feeling of wanting the weight off and your body shape to change NOW. When I work hard and I am focused on eating right, I expect to see some big changes in my body for all my effort. I then have to think back at all the months and years of eating crappy high carb food and never really paying attention to my body changes along the way until I would try something on that was too small or looked hideously tight on me. This was way more demoralizing and sad than it is now knowing I am on plan and doing everything right to change my body. It is weird but I cannot see the weight loss I have had (over 100lbs and I still cannot see it in the mirror) but I know it is real with the smaller clothing sizes I put on. I am now super focused on my "problem" areas of thighs, lower abdomen and arms. I know I did not gain it all at once and it is going to take a lot of time to get it off. When I am having days where I hate the look of my body I focus on how well I am doing with food. I go to my food/weight log and look at the weight loss graph over the last 6 moths. This is real, I can see that downward trend, there is no mirror fooling my eyes and there is no focus on my problem spots, it is a graph showing I am successful. When I cannot see the change in the mirror I can see the change on the graph and that if I eat way off plan or give up that graph can all too quickly go back up.

I also have binge tendencies when I am stressed or want to avoid my emotions and I feel an overwhelming urge to eat, and eat a lot of really bad food. Now I focus on sitting with the uncomfortable feelings and understanding that eating off plan will only make me feel worse. So I make my plan workable for me. I do eat small amounts of some higher carb foods on certain planned days, but I stay in my calorie/carb limit that I have set for the day. If I am in a stressed mood I change my plan and stick to higher fat LC foods only.

I also have to like what I am eating. I can go for days eating the same things over and over and then all of a sudden I get bored with my food. This is a danger area for me. At this point I eat my favorite LC foods like avocado, gyro meat, bacon, shrimp and cheese. This gets my mind back in the groove of loving LC again. If I feel at all deprived it is a huge pitfall for me. Luckily with LC there are so many great tasting and satisfying foods that I can eat that I don't have to go to that dangerous area of feeling deprived.

One of my motivators to stay on plan is clothes. I have arranged clothes in my closet for the next few lower sizes. I try on the next size down pants every few weeks. When I can see that they are getting closer and closer to fitting this encourages me to keep to my plan. I also look at a pair of pants that is from close to my high point. This is painful to know I had let myself get this big but also encouraging to know that I have the ability to change my body, just not overnight. When I finally fit into the smaller pants I do a little happy dance.

These are the things that motivate and sustain me. I am not sure what will work for you, but you can find those things and have them available when you have doubts and feel like giving in. Hang in there, you can get through this tough spot.
I was so enthralled with this post I was hunting for a LIKE button .. Phranquie you nailed it. At least for me and my thought processes.. I couldnt have given better advice. You are such an inspiration to me to keep on going.

Gail, hang in there honey, this feeling will pass and you will get through it. What I love? ?? Is that you came here and wrote this. That is such a gift in my opinion. To you and to anyone feeling exactly like you at this moment. Remember you are FABULOUS just as you are. I love rreading about your days and what you're up to...such a beautiful life you have! I know its hard to be patient but it truly will all pay off in the end! Your journey is teaching you many things along the way, dont forget to look up once in awhile and listen. Keep on keeping on, you are doing an awesome job of living a lc life!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Danielle and Frankie, thank you SO MUCH. Great posts from both of you. Frankie, you are so wise, genuine and forward-thinking -- everything you posted above resonated so my much that I printed two copies of your post -- one for my office at work and one for my fridge at home. Great words of wisdom and inspiration will keep me strong when I feel like caving in. Frankie, I especially like what you said about fitting into the smaller clothing, knowing that you are making progress instead of going in the wrong direction. And, I was so inspired by what you said about the importance of enjoying your low carb foods that I went and got a really good dinner for me and Tony. I had to work late tonight so I got takeout at another great restaurant nearby -- just two burgers, green salads and a shrimp scampi appetizer for us to share. We had the burgers with low carb buns when I got home and they were delicious.

Danielle, thanks for your guidance, support and friendship! And I appreciate the advice about patience -- I know I have to be more patient! You are fabulous as well -- I see how you inspire and motivate everyone on the boards -- plus you make us all laugh and smile with your great sense of humor and ongoing adventures. You are a perfect Virgo and I am lucky to know you.

It made me feel really good to read both of these posts. Tony and I are now relaxing, watching "The Sopranos" and I was just overjoyed to read this. THANK YOU!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Lovely Frankie and Danielle, thank you again for your sage advice and support. I woke up today feeling renewed and happy -- plus a few pounds lighter. I am finally getting rid of the weight I gained during my six-day holiday cheat period -- which I truly regret.

It is nice and mild here in Boston --- well for January in New England anyway. I just got back from spin class and I am going to shower and then go get my nails done. Later today, we are going to have steak sandwiches on low carb rolls and Sicilian Cauliflower Gratin -- I just found the recipe on the New York Times this morning. I posted the recipe below because it sounds so good -- I will let you guys know how it turns out! I love trying new low carb recipes and this one only has 8 grams of carbs and 100 calories for a good sized serving. Wishing everyone the very best weekend today and tomorrow!

Sicilian Cauliflower Gratin -- ingriedients
One head of cauliflower
Salt and pepper
One onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
16 oil cured black olives, chopped and pitted
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley
1/2 cup of fresh Romano cheese (you can also use parmesan cheese if you want)

Boil a large pot of salted water. Add chopped cauliflower (yes you chop it into florets first) and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to bowl of ice water for two minutes and then put on paper towels.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add one TBS of olive oil to a large skilled and sautee chopped onion for three minutes. Add salt and garlic; sautee until translucent. Remove from heat and add olives.

Add a bit of oil to the bottom of a two quart baking dish. Spread cauliflower across the baking dish and add the onion/olive mixture, 2 TBS of olive oil, parsley and half of the romano cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir well together. Top dish with remaining romano cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm or hot.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #277
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, I am glad you are feeling better about things. Sometimes it is hard to think past the moment we are in.

That recipe sounds really good. I roasted cauliflower and asparagus the other night but adding some sauteed onions and cheese to cauliflower would be that much better!

I gave up going to the nail salon on a regular basis last spring. The owners have been asking a friend who still goes there where I have been. I had solar nails since 1999 and I decided to go back to my natural nails. I have been doing home manicures using the UV gel system and the manicure really does last for weeks. I still go to the nail salon once in a while with friends, it is such a relaxing thing and you gotta pamper yourself.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #278
Blabbermouth!!!

I am happy today found you feeling refreshed and with a better outlook.

I hope you are enjoying your day, it sounds relaxing and lovely. That recipe looks YUMMO Enjoy!!

I hear ya about the holiday gain...it takes forrrreevvvverrrrrr for it to leave. So glad that it's leaving you once and for all! Some times it really isn't worth the aggro of enjoying something off plan when it takes that long to reflect the loss when we're back on track, is it? I'm still trying to get back to my own "low" prior to Vegas...so irritating to say the least!

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, lady!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Ladies, the Sicilian cauliflower was really good and so easy to make -- plus low carb! We had a great meal with a nice glass of pinot noir, now we are watching the Ravens play the Broncos.

Frankie, I need to try that gel manicure -- I have a friend who does the same in-home thing you do and she loves it, plus her nails always look great. I am sure you guys agree -- I like to be nicely groomed because it helps take the sting out of being overweight. I know I sound like a super jerk here but I am just going to say it -- I have super careful hygiene and I almost always blow dry my hair and put on nice light makeup before I go out -- plus I dress halfway decently. Look: I'm not saying I'm Kate Moss here (hardly!) or Kim Kardashian but I make a tiny bit of an effort. Before work, I always wash my hair and style it, plus put on light makeup and perfume and try to wear something nice, along with heels and a great bag.

I work in an industry where everyone is young and attractive -- I am not a stay at home mom or professional in an industry with a more relaxed dress code.

But that's not my point. I also use great smelling shampoos, body washes, moisturizers and all that fun smelling stuff -- because that makes you feel feminine, pretty and sweet-scented, a good feeling when are are trying to combat the negative feelings when you feel fat.

Just a thought that we should all be really good to ourselves while on this plan. Buy that nice lipstick. Indulge in that new perfume. And, yes, those heels still look good on you. By the way, it's time to change the nail polish on your toes.

Danielle, I totally hear you about the holiday blues -- it is hard to get that weight off. I think you are like me -- a Virgo who wants to please her husband and he usually wants you to go off plan just for a tiny bit to enjoy food with him. You do and it is fun -- but then it is time to get back on the wagon and it feels like it takes longer to get that weight off than it did to put on in the first place. Ugh.

Wishing you a great Saturday night, ladies
Old 01-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #280
Blabbermouth!!!

Gail, you are so right. Just because we're heavier does not mean we do not deserve to feel pretty, feminine, and sassy I love good make up, nail polish, and foofy perfume, and definitely love me some designer handbags I would be lying if I didn't say that it took me a very long time to get to this point. It was engrained into me from a very young age that I wasn't deserving of "special" anything because of my weight. Looking back now I can tell you that I didn't have a weight problem (maybe 15lbs heavier than my girlfriends...) but I was told I was huge, fat, bigger than a house.. so that became what I saw. It took my husband years to get me to finally understand that I deserved the good life, to have nice things, to feel good about myself and to surround myself with things that made me feel beautiful and happy. He is absolutely over the moon that now I ask for those things because I know I deserve them. I love feeling pretty.....and as I lose weight I'm sure the clothing thing will become ultimately more important to me too!

Yanno, it's funny that you talk about meals with the husbands.....he felt such guilt when I'd go off plan for a meal, and would always apologize.. then *I'd* feel guilty for making him feel that way nowadays there isn't anymore guilt because of my plan now..I eat pretty much whatever (within reason) as long as I budget my calories..it's been so nice to not have to worry anymore when we go out!

Have a great night!

P.S. I just did my toes!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, I am also one who has taken special care to be very well groomed and make every effort to be as well dressed and pulled together as possible. Being quite large in the past it has been extremely difficult to find well made stylish clothes in my size. I also think that many people have a preconception that all obese people smell. I have been very fastidious in this area because I work closely with clients and always want to be above reproach in not only the way I look but in my hygiene. A handheld shower sprayer is the best invention!

So today I went to Nordstrom's Rack and was almost high from being in the regular sized clothing and not feeling like an impostor being there shopping for myself. I was able to get a couple of Max Studio dresses in "L", another designer dress in size 14 (I think this was a very large 14), a leather and fabric jacket for the spring in "L", pajamas and a robe in "L" and some tops in"M" and "L", some shape wear in"L", a cardigan in "L" and some boots. I have not enjoyed shopping in such a long time. I have been buying at Lane Bryant and Marshalls and Ross for so long and not finding quality clothes that fit or flatter. As evidence of this my credit card company fraud division called me right after the purchase to see if I had made the purchase or if someone had stolen my card! Lol, that shows you how long it has been since I plunked down some money on decent clothes. I tried all the clothes and they fit great except right on my lower abdomen where I am now carrying an accentuated inner tube. So I will be needing some of my heavy duty spanx before I can wear those.

I recommend retail therapy if you have dropped a few sizes!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I pink puffy heart love my gel manicures. I get them done, rather than doing them myself, because I just don't think I could do it. They look so great - and my hands are in clay, glaze, and paint all day long. I am amazed at how they hold up. I taught a week of wheel-throwing classes and it made the shine dull, but not a single break.

I didn't get my nails done regularly for 12 years until I discovered the gel nails. I admit it, people tell me my hands are pretty and it makes me feel good.

I was thinking about you when I was in cvs - I'm looking at the different treatments and supplies. Your skin is just beautiful, and I thought "I bet Gail knows how to use this stuff." I am clueless. I don't wear make-up, haven't for 15 years, and I just get overwhelmed.

Your cauliflower sounds good. I need to cook something and get out of my rut. I hope you have an incredible weekend!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 AM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
Retail therapy, my favorite kind of therapy.

And I agree with you Gail, you just need to splurge on woman stuff sometimes. Just because you are not at the size you want, you can still buy that amazing pair of heels with matching bag, hat and scarf. (it is winter after all)

I love your blog you always have so many nice cooking idea's! :-)

Keep up the good work. After a couple of months you will thank yourself for not giving up, it takes time, but we WILL get there. You must never stop believing in that, and every time to feel like giving up, come back here. The people here give and need eachothers support. :-)

Start 220 1 okt 2012
205==> 21 nov 2012
200==> 12 dec 2012
195==> 16 jan 2013
Blog: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...carb-life.html
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

You guys are so great -- I wish you were close by because I would love to for manicures, shopping sprees and cocktails with all of you! We would have fun!

Frankie, CONGRATULATIONS on getting to size 14 and below -- and for migrating downward from the plus sizes! That is a major accomplishment! You must have really enjoyed your Nordstroms shopping experience (OMG, I love Nordstroms too) and I'll bet that gave you even more motivation to stay on plan. Yay!!! I totally hear you about hygiene too -- I am literally paranoid about it. I shower at least twice a day. LOL!

Dani, I am so glad that you are married to a wonderful man who adores you and showers you with beautiful things as well as devotion. You are such a gorgeous woman that it is hard for me to believe that someone told you otherwise. Seriously, you have such a beautiful face -- gorgeous skin, hair and eyes. Anyway, I also love makeup, nailpolish, perfume, handbags, shoes --- the whole gamut. It must be fun to have a daughter to share that stuff with too -- you guys always sound like you have a blast together.

Julia, I saw your photos on your journal and you are lovely. You really don't need makeup. Thanks for the compliment on my skin but I have help -- trust me! It is expensive but I use Armani foundation and it is worth every penny. It makes your skin look flawless. You may choke at the pricetag but you don't need that much of it -- only one or two small drops -- but it covers a multitude of sins. If you don't want to spend that much, some good drugstore brands to consider are L'oreal and Almay. The trick is to find the right color match for your skin -- you can do that by putting a little bit by turning your hand over and putting a bit of the foundation or concealer near your wrist (the underside of your lower arm). After I put on foundation, I dust a tiny bit of loose powder of my face to settle it (don't use too much powder -- it is very aging no matter how old you are).

Sannie, so nice to see you as always, my friend. I agree with you about the matching bag, heels and scarf too. You are a great example of a gorgeous woman who can rock any size. If any of you go to Velvet's journal, you will see some modeling photos of Sannie and she is stunningly beautiful.

What are you guys up to today? I need to finish up a new business propsoal that I have to present on Tuesday. We are pitching a mobile development software company in NYC -- invited by two old friends/former colleagues of mine who work there. They are from London so I am taking them out for dinner Tuesday night and they want to go to Del Posto -- a high end Italian place run by Mario Batali. I need to go check out the menu first so hopefully I can find some low carb options to eat. They are known for their homemade pasta and other delicacies so hopefully this won't be too painful.

I am not cooking today -- I have too much work to do to finish the proposal so I am ordering takout from our favorite local place. I will most likely get chicken wings and greek salads so we can safely stay on place.

Wishing everyone a happy Sunday -- xo xo xo!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #285
Blabbermouth!!!

Aw Gail, you're sweet. Been married going on 18yrs and together for over 20.. we have had our share of difficult times, especially the last few years, but we chose to learn from it and make life even better He spoils me rotten and I'm thankful for him everyday. Growing up with a mother so unhappy and insecure about her own hangups about weight and self image was incredibly difficult. Being the oldest of 4 girls I took the brunt of it and became the favorite punching bag...and I took it mainly so she wouldn't focus it on the others..we were incredibly spread apart in age--6 & 7 yrs apart..there is a 20yr age difference between myself & the youngest.. all of it really does a number on your psyche. Thankful that the last 2 years have been spent with lots of self discovery and realization that I am not what she says I was/am. I get it now and I'm stronger for all of it in the end. I'd like to think that what I endured only made me more capable of ensuring that my own kids grow up empowered and strong..especially my 2 girls

Funny thing about having 2 girls... they are TOTAL opposites when it comes to style and personality.. my older one is my goth/emo girl.. picture bright colored hair and lots of "interesting" clothing choices My 16yo is my "doll"..she loves clothes, fashion and anything girly.. they both love make-up, clothes, etc but in two vastly different arenas DD16 is in fact on a quest for a career in the cosmetics industry...gotta love a girl with a dream

Good luck with your proposal, I'm sure you'll be a hit!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, for your Italian dinner most higher end restaurants will have lots of dishes that should suit a LC diet. If there is potatoes, rice, risotto or pasta as a side, ask them to sub the starches for roasted or steamed veggies. I have done this in all manner of restaurants without the waiter blinking an eye. I look for seafood or pork or lamb chops and just be slightly wary of any sauce, although unless it is swimming in sauce the cabs would not be that bad. I hope you enjoy your evening out tomorrow and that your pitch for the project goes well.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the great advice Frankie! I checked out Del Posto's menu online and my goodness, it is filled with delectable high carb treats like Homemade spaghetti with fresh Dungeness crab, jalapeno and scallion, garganelli bolognese and penne with pumpkin, brown butter and biscotti. Yeesh -- just the smell of fresh pasta makes me sprout fangs, horns and a tail -- I turn into Tasmanian Food Devil.

Well, I am just going to have to be good this time. I think I will have the bitter lettuce, herbs and chickory salad with truffled dressing to start. For an entree, I am eyeing the wild striped bass with sunchokes, romaine and occelli butter OR the sardinian lamb chop with roman artichokes, mint and saffron potatoes (skipping the spuds of course).

Wish me luck because I'm gonna need it!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Good luck Gail! you can do it. Low carb all the way. :-)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

I hope the presentation went well, and that whatever you selected for dinner was as delicious as it sounded!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
I know your dinner went good, hurry back!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Hey ladies! I am sorry I have not posted for a few days. The presentation in NYC went really well -- I will hear if we won the business or not by this afternoon.

We had a great dinner at Del Posto -- if you are ever in the NYC area and want to splurge on a great dinner in a marvelous atmosphere -- I strongly recommend this place. They give you two options -- either order from their five-course tasting menu or order a la carte. If you order a la carte, you select an appetizer and an entree and then you share two small pasta courses with your dining companions which are served in between the appetizer and entree. All dishes are super small -- which is great because otherwise you would gain a ton of weight in one night.

My appetizer was the sunchokes (Jersusalem artichokes) and my entree was the wild bass -- both low-carb and cooked superbly. The three of us shared a lovely bottle of dry white wine with our meals. My friend Dan ordered two pasta dishes for the three of us to share -- a fettucine with black truffles and a pumpkin penne with brown sugar and sage. The portions were tiny -- thank God -- and I only took one tiny bite of the pumpkin penne. Oh lord -- really good homemade pasta just melts in your mouth.

The served a bunch of fancy chocolate truffles to us on the house and gave us goodie bags full of desserts (Italian pistachio cookies, more truffles, candies) -- all of which I left untouched in my hotel room. Thank God I don't crave sweets too badly or else I would have been a goner!

I really really like Dan and Deb -- the two folks I had dinner with -- and they were the people that my company pitched earlier on Tuesday. I truly hope to have the chance to work with them again -- we used to work together at a software company about five years ago. It was so much fun catching up with them. Isn't it great when you meet wonderful people at work? Good people take the drudgery out of work!

I hope everyone has a great day today. The sun is shining here in Boston even though we got some snow yesterday. xo xo xo!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/18/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: February 28, 2012
Great job handling what sounds like a fantastic dining experience! I'm traveling to Italy in a few months and plan on enjoying small portions of anything and everything that looks, sounds, and smells good! I hope I can be as disciplined as you when it comes to the sweets.

I also agree that great co-workers can enhance the quality of one’s life! Some of my closest friends started as work BFFs. Hope it turns out you can work with them again.
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gail, great job on the dinner out and not caving to the treats you brought back to the hotel. I hope your company gets the job and you'll be able to work with your friends again. When you work with folks you genuinely like it is less like "work".
Old 01-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

I bet there are so many amazing places in NYC to eat low carb. I hope you get the job just so you can explore them and I can live vicariously through you!

If you get treats like that again, you should give them to the front desk workers. I bet they would love them! And you'd be free from temptation.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #296
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Glad you had fun in "my" city. I love taking customers out to dinner as well.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Good job with the not eating those jummy sweets. I would have had a hard time with that!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

I am sorry I have not posted for a while. I've been really depressed and the bitter cold weather here is not helping. I have finally snapped out of it and now I am back on the low carb plan with a vengeance.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

*big welcome back hug* You do know that when you feel depressed and do not want to post publicly, but still want to talk you can send me a pm. You can talk about everything you want. This place is also for the down days, not just for the happy ones.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Velvet! I will take you up on that wonderful offer! I am trying to chase those down days away -- believe me! I love your new avatar by the way!