Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Shark Sandwich

There was a song about a guy moving 16 tons a day. He didn't get much for his efforts, and ended up in metaphysical debt to the people he worked for. I pull a ton every 6 steps, or 16 tons every 95 steps. That's about 285 feet, assuming an average stride of 3 feet. A feat I can accomplish by walking to the end of my block.

On a positive note, maybe that's why I don't owe my soul to the company store.

I have more *excess* weight than most people will ever weigh. Not to be a jerk, but when some guy who's never been within 100 pounds of my current weight tells me "what my problem is" without even meeting me, and even though I'm succeeding, I take exception to that. After I lose a hundred pounds, I'll still be fatter than most people's wildest dreams. And that's when I inevitably get some "I lost a whole 15 pounds," cut and bulk bigorexic in my face to tell me what my goals should be.

I need to lose a whole "morbidly obese" person, just to get back to only carrying around an "overweight" person.

We're not playing even the same game.

30 pounds ago, I had to buy a special robotic toilet because there were parts of my body I couldn't reach to clean. That's some stuff they don't put in the fat man handbook. I would like to have read that page, or maybe heard mention of it in a movie or something. But somehow, and for some reason, It's not exactly a widely publicized fact that fat people have trouble reaching their butts with their hands. Because that's some information I would like to have known before I got fat.

But, yeah - I'm sure that time your high school football uniform was a little tight on you, and you looked slightly dumpy in your spandex cyclist gear was every bit as much of an indignity to your humanity as the time that I learned that I couldn't reach my ass with my hand anymore.

There's a lot of things they don't tell you about being fat: It's the only group of people that it's still ok to openly discriminate against. We have to tie our shoes on the sides, because we can't reach the middle of the lace bed. Excercise gear doesn't fit most of us. The euphemisms for being fat are actually more insulting that the words 'Land Walrus'. You know who else was 'Big Boned?' The dinosaurs - and look what happened to them. Excess adiposity reduces you to a grotesque asexual monstrosity with all of the physical appeal and social esteem of a dead, rotting sea otter.

Except that people will feel sorry for the sea otter.

People will assume you are stupid and lazy, and if you fail to live into that stereotype they will assume that you are sinister and ambitious - because everyone wants the good looking people to win. Even the ugly people.

None of that makes it into the beached whale primer. It's all funny suspenders and jolly or creepy fat guys in the media.

Like I said - it's not the same game.

"Calories in versus calories out," they say, smugly assured of the accuracy of their claim. I've heard it multiple times, in the exact same wording - like a mantra derived from some sacrosanct text. Even if we allow for the possibility that that's absolutely a true and proven hypothesis (it isn't, but bear with me), there's another equation that I find to be more relevant to the situation:

Hunger = Calories in.

When I'm hungry I eat. I will keep eating until I am no longer hungry. On a high carb diet, I can really pack it away, all day long. On the other hand, a low carb, high fat diet addresses this problem for me. I'm not hungry all the time, I'm becoming more active, I'm losing weight, and I'm not hungry all the time. I said it twice, because it's twice as important as the other things.

Food no longer rules my life.

Please don't get my brand of misanthropy wrong. I love hearing about other people's experiences. I want to hear about your food plan, and how it applies to you, and how it has helped you, and what adjustments you've made.

What I don't want to hear is how your plan should be applied to me, or which diet I should convert to, or what I'm doing wrong. I'll worry about me. If I took every piece of dietary advice I've received in the last two months, I'd have taken on 24 different diets, each utterly different, and ultimately, I would have accomplished nothing at all.

If you've got something to say, I'm happy to listen. It's even ok if you disagree with me, because that disagreement has value as well.

In return, I won't pretend to be an expert on losing weight until I've actually lost some weight. But I will explain my experience, and the thought process that has lead me to my opinions. I will explain how those opinions apply to me, only me, and no one else. I'll let you worry about you.

I guess it puts me in danger of living in an echo chamber where I only hear what I want to hear, but I'm tired of defending my breakfast to everyone under the sun. I get it: Low carb isn't the usual way to lose weight. I tried the usual way, it didn't work, now I'm trying something new - deal with it.

I checked out a different low carb place and was met with exclusively with indifference, and people who insisted that my kind of low carb was wrong, while theirs was right. At least one of them was selling something.

Again, I don't mind if you disagree with me, but I'm tired of being told what I should apply to myself. I would rather hear what you have applied to yourself, and why. that's information that might become useful to me in the future, because it's data extracted from direct observation.

In case you were curious, my plan consists of eating 20 or fewer carbs per day, no sugar, no starch. I mostly eat eggs and meat, and a diverse raw salad every two days or so (spinach, onion, cucumber, garlic, bell pepper, mushroom with oil and vinegar). I count the 16th of a carb in a mcdonald's pickle slice. I secretly know that there are carbs that I'm not counting because they aren't reported accurately on the labels, or because it would be too difficult to look them up. To combat this, there is a secret invisible 10 carb buffer that allows me to miscount while still being technically on plan. So technically the number is 30 carbs per day, but the last 10 have to be uncountable carbs due to rounding errors and inaccurate labelling. In other words, I'm not allowed to intentionally tap the last 10, but I have proven that it is not deleterious to my state of ketosis.

I look forward to participating here. I have heard good things.

Last edited by Z; 10-27-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
giJ
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: giJ
Stats: Size 18W+/8
WOE: My own - low carb, high fat, calorie controlled
Start Date: You mean this time? 9 Jan 2012
Hi Dr. Avery, and welcome to LCF!

First, I'd like to thank you for using the word "misanthropy". Misanthrope has been one of my favorite words (and yes, I'm the kind of geek with "favorite words") since I first learned it in 10th grade.

Your plan sounds a lot like what a lot of people around here do. Will you get suggestions for tweaks? Sure. If you ask for them. If you don't? Well, you still might but it's all well intentioned. No, not all of us have had to lose nearly as much as you do, and we won't pretend we have.

Here's what I will say: I've been on and off low carb many many times over the past 10+ years. I am convinced it's working this time because I tailored a plan to fit my lifestyle instead of trying to force my lifestyle and personality into a particular plan. Very much what it sounds like you're doing. So you're way ahead of me on the learning curve!

For me, until fairly recently, I ate 3 meals a day, 4-6 hours apart, no snacking. Meal 1 was only fat and protein. Meals 2 and 3 were mostly fat and protein, and under 20 grams of carbs each, so I was slightly higher than you are. It worked for me (weightloss) and, most importantly, for my life.

There is a wealth of information on this site. Don't be afraid to use it!

Dieting to look good in cute clothes. Exercising to look good without them
---
I can do Hard Things.
giJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
Hey Dr Avery, welcome. I just wanted to pop in and say hi fellow to someone from AZ that feels the same way I do. Especially here in summer when the pretty skinny people wear the pretty skinny people clothes and I feel like a beached whale amongst them. Well, maybe not next year, well maybe the year after. Guess it all depends. I too do low carb my way. Different than you, but still the basic same stuff. My style is working for me, but I have asked for help before and appreciate the suggestions. Last time I wasn't losing and it was because of the huge amount of sodium in processed meat that I wasn't taking into consideration...

But I will say this is the best site for low carbing. Hands down. Supportive. Helpful, not pushy. And there are some super people here!
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
Welcome Dr. Avery.

No judgement here. Welcome to the collective journey of what works for each of us.
Always something of use/interest being discussed. Please chime in often. What works for you may just be what someone else needed to hear.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giJ View Post
Hi Dr. Avery, and welcome to LCF!

First, I'd like to thank you for using the word "misanthropy". Misanthrope has been one of my favorite words (and yes, I'm the kind of geek with "favorite words") since I first learned it in 10th grade.
Thanks

I'm also the kind of geek with favorite words. My favorite is 'Zyxomma'. It is a genus of dragonfly, in case you were wondering. However it is also the only word still in the English language of which I know that contains all of the last three letters of the alphabet, while having all of the letters of the word appear in reverse alphabetical order.

It is also the last word in my unabridged dictionary from 1946.

The word 'Zyxt' (second-person singular past tense of 'to see') of 1340s Kentish dialect of English used to meet that criteria, but it sort of went out of style a few centuries ago.

Despite the outstanding iconography of a word that is a type of dragonfly, I chose this word for my band name because of it's fascinating properties as a word.

Which is to say I chose it for reasons that are etymological as opposed to entomological.

And that pun right there had me hooked on the word for good.

Last edited by Z; 10-27-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Welcome! There are lots of folks here who eat just like you do (I had butter for breakfast this morning). I totally agree that the calories in/calories out dogma is a daft oversimplification.

Nice tip about the carb buffer.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Hi and welcome.
I don't know where else you may have gone on the web for support, but I doubt you'll experience those kind of problems here.
Yes, there is a basic bias to our way of eating. (note the title of this site) but as far as people telling you what you should do? Naw, I don't see that here.
Of course if one asks a "what can I do" type of question, then of course a barrage of "try this" type responses will follow. But that is why these forums are here ....to answer questions of those who may have experience.
So post away fearlessly. There is much pathos here, some good humour and an abundance of sincerity.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
Greetings, Dr. Avery & welcome aboard to our collective.

We bring order to chaos. Although Resistance is NOT futile, it is NOT recommended. I weighed in at 342.2 last Sunday. I am not afraid of the numbers...not anymore. I do not care what people think of me at 1st sight. Although, sometimes I love to play with their heads, and on a good day, I take a savage delight at hauling verbal abuse. My main concern is to continue developing strategies that will assist me with CONSISTANT portion control and staying on plan in general. So far, so good. I believe I can get below 300 lbs by my retirement date of 2/15/13. I do not lose quickly on anyone's "diet". the best strategy is to LOVE the food you are eating, so you(generic you as in "all of us")will not STRAY but STAY on plan. But I know that YOU(the specific YOU)will succeed. So, let me say QAPLAH, which I am sure you know is Klingon for SUCCESS!!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I think you'll find you are among friends. Our specific plans vary, depending on the needs of the person doing them, but low carb is a uniting factor and and the environment is incredibly friendly and helpful. Welcome!
Arctic_Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ohiocat
Stats: 252/174/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/5/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Avery View Post
I get it: Low carb isn't the usual way to lose weight. I tried the usual way, it didn't work, now I'm trying something new - deal with it.
I have had to almost "bark" this at a couple of people.

This is what works for me. They can do their "everything in moderation" all they want, but stop trying to cram it down my throat!

Best wishes for lots of success on your journey.
ohiocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Welcome, Dr!!!!

I can't go into too much detail right now because I'm posting from my phone, but I couldn't resist chiming in to give you two thumbs up!

Low carb friends is the best place for you-tons of advice, but only if you ask for it. Everyone does different forms of LC but motivation and enthusiasm is universal here! So glad you've joined...

Oh---loved your post! As a 342 lb female I can relate to everything you've written. I'm following the same type of woe that you are.

One question--why did you call your post "Shark Sandwich"??

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
Welcome! I think you'll like it here. We're a diverse group united by a belief in low carbing. You'll see a lot of variation how we practice it.
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart View Post
One question--why did you call your post "Shark Sandwich"??
Haha, I read that as him fishing to see if we'd bite
Arctic_Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
hahah i bet you're right
and
Welcome!!! I find that checking in every day or every other day really helps with the motivation!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Interesting.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leisha
Stats: 210/195/155
WOE: Weight Watchers 360
Start Date: May 2014 this round!
Dr. Avery I think you're going to like it here!
leisha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Well, welcome!

I'm feeling compelled to give you some "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts".

You SHOULD take any advice that seems to you sound and likely to work for you.
You SHOULD ignore anything that you think won't work for you.
You SHOULD come here for ideas. You'll find a lot!

You SHOULDN'T let anyone make you feel bad or defensive about how YOU choose to live YOUR life, including how you eat.
You SHOULDN'T fear being judged here. We've got so many "flavors" of LC going on here, that it's not possible to make very broad assumptions.

You'll get a lot of different viewpoints, all of which take into consideration that we're all a little different. I'm a weirdo who can't get into ketosis without her nuts. There are others who can't touch nuts, or they fall back OUT of ketosis. Some can't live without their veggies. Some can't live with 'em. You name it, and we've got SOMEONE like that here!

What you WILL find are a lot of folks who "get" it, and have a lot of combined experience at LC eating. We have our "tricks" for dealing with various things that come up... We have our favorite foods and recipes, our favorite tips and tricks. We know the struggles, and we give encouragement. And we've all dealt with people telling us this won't work, or it's unhealthy. And we know better. (We even have techniques for dealing with it.)

You SHOULD make yourself open to viewing all of these things, and using any of it that works for you!

Sorry -- but I have an irresistible compulsion to do things that I'm told not to do... So I had to tell you what you should do.

Welcome. Jump in -- I think you'll enjoy it here!
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Thanks

I'm also the kind of geek with favorite words. My favorite is 'Zyxomma'. It is a genus of dragonfly, in case you were wondering. However it is also the only word still in the English language of which I know that contains all of the last three letters of the alphabet, while having all of the letters of the word appear in reverse alphabetical order.

It is also the last word in my unabridged dictionary from 1946.

The word 'Zyxt' (second-person singular past tense of 'to see') of 1340s Kentish dialect of English used to meet that criteria, but it sort of went out of style a few centuries ago.

Despite the outstanding iconography of a word that is a type of dragonfly, I chose this word for my band name because of it's fascinating properties as a word.

Which is to say I chose it for reasons that are etymological as opposed to entomological.

And that pun right there had me hooked on the word for good.
Ha! That is awesome! I love dragonflies. And words.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Welcome!
You don't have to explain your way of eating here to anyone, unlike in real life, unless you want to. Most people on here only give advise when solicitated to so you wont have to worry about that. Just let us know when you want help and we will be happy to give it to you. I dont know if you been on any other diets longterm, but Im sure you will find this WOE to be quite pleasant.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Welcome Dr. Avery

Welcome Dr. Avery.

It’s great to see another Tucsonan on the forum. You will find this forum is a wealth of information. There is always someone with whom you can share an update, ask a question or just vent on a day when that is what is needed. I have never seen a questionable post or response. Only support.

When I get done with this post I will be googling etymological and entomological. I’m too simple minded to intelligently take part in your discussion of favorite words. It may be because my two former favorite words were “ Bread” and “Pasta”. It’s now “Bacon”.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
Z
Senior LCF Member

I know I sometimes forget to throw out the smileys, but you should always operate under the assumption that it's ok to laugh at something I said. Even my grumpiest posts are always shooting for at least a bit of a laugh I was told you were a great bunch of folks, and it would seem I haven't been led astray. Thanks for all of your kind introductions.

Again, just to be clear - I think advice is a great thing, and I respect all opinions, even those with which I disagree. I'm just tired of being told that a low cal cross-fit lifestyle is the only legitimate path to health. I am here to learn from others, and to document my experience for those who come after me.

It has been as if people are actively trying to talk me out of taking an active interest in my nutrition. As if the success of even a single low carb dieter would somehow invalidate their high willpower, constant hunger, low calorie, low fat, low flavor, sprouts and Tofurkey approach. Please, don't let me discourage anyone from starving themselves thin. If you can do that to yourself, go forth with my blessing. It's an impressive feat that has proven to be beyond my critical threshold for suffering.

I think differing viewpoints are a great thing, and I consider all of them when formulating my own opinions. But there is a world of difference between discussing a WOE that you employ, and actively trying to badger someone else into quitting something that is working for them.

I think I just needed to hunt around a bit to find the right place. A lot of those guys were the kind who know that the only one way to give 110% in fitness is to cheat (if you catch my drift).

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi
But I know that YOU(the specific YOU)will succeed. So, let me say QAPLAH, which I am sure you know is Klingon for SUCCESS!!! Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
Qavan! I refer you to Rule of Acquisition number 58: There is no substitute for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melle's_Sweetheart
Oh---loved your post! As a 342 lb female I can relate to everything you've written. I'm following the same type of woe that you are.
Thanks! It is marvelous to be in the company of people in a similar situation. You tell some people that you went bowling for three hours, and they don't -- Can't -- even begin to comprehend how much exercise that represents for someone in the mid 300s.

"if you woud just jog for two hours, three times a week, and eat only carrots and kale..."

If I could jog for two hours, I wouldn't have to consider the structural integrity of chairs so carefully when buying them.

I don't want to diminish the accomplishments or challenges faced by anyone here (or anywhere else), but every time someone who's never seen the dark side of 165 tells me how they're struggling with their weight, or that they 'know how I feel', there is a part of me that wants to assault them vigorously with a bezelling planisher. It's one thing to think that you are a massive hideous chud, but it is another thing entirely to be made unequivocally certain of it by others.

In the most recent Olympics, not one of the female competitors in any weight class could snatch my body weight. The medalists from the two lowest men's weight classes failed to snatch my weight as well. Not just the little guys. There were competitors in the 105kg and 105+ weight classes that failed to snatch my weight. People are lugging around Olympic Gold for picking up less weight once than I haul around all day. You picked up 156 kilos for a few seconds?

That's adorable.

Now haul it up and down the stairs a few times. Or better yet, follow the advice everyone loves to give me and go for a jog! What? Your back and knees and ankles aren't built to take that kind of punishment? How unusual... My joints feel so great all the time.

I'm fat. We're talking Class IV obesity. Not stout. Not hefty, or bigger (unless you mean bigger than the average NFL offensive lineman). People try to couch it in cute terms to spare my feelings, but that's more insulting than being insulted outright. I wasn't sensitive about it until you decided it was so horrific that you had to put on kid gloves to even speak the condition out loud.

Like I'm so fat that it's gained Voldemort status, and people are terrified to speak "IT" aloud. I've started finishing that stumbling awkward sentence for them:

"I wasn't sure if you'd want this armless chair because you're a... you know... um..."
  • Land walrus
  • Gravity farmer
  • Cholesterol tycoon
  • Master of Avoirdupois
  • Wide load
  • Dump truck
  • Lunchbox
  • Gravyboat
  • More bloated and awful than Dave Crosby's liver
  • Outsized sack of crap
  • Chudzilla
  • A slovenly beast
  • An abomination
  • The thing which should not be
  • Dear lord, it's coming this way

I get it.

The results of my last cholesterol test was "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter". When I sit around the house I REALLY cause damage to the concrete foundation. I'm visible from orbit - Mars orbit. I carry so much mass that time moves more slowly as you get closer to me, and light bends around me causing birds and airplanes to fall out of the sky. The Earth was free floating in outer space before it succumbed to my gravity. When I approach the buffet table at a wedding reception, the band starts playing the theme from Rocky. The Inuit people are legally allowed to hunt me twice a year. They don't because they haven't found a way to 'use every part of the animal' in a single season. Every time I go to McDonalds, they add another million to their "millions served" sign. Subway pays me to NOT eat their food. I can't go to the beach without people throwing buckets of water on me, and trying to roll me back into the ocean. My daily walk interferes with continental drift. One time I stepped on a Wii Fit, and it said "No." One time I was bit by a snake, and after three days of intense suffering, the snake died of a heart attack.

I'm going to stop here, but rest assured that I can do this all day. The point is, I get it. I'm not oblivious. If it becomes necessary to address my fatness in conversation, just shoot me straight and don't turn it into a big production. I know I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather just be called fat.

It's not something everyone has experienced, and I value that there are people here who have a similar task ahead of them. In more obvious ways than others, we have to be in this for the long haul. I'm not pretending to be the fattest guy here, or the only person to face these challenges. But you don't have to be the biggest guy to be big. I'd just rather call it what it is, and start from there. For me, it isn't something to shy away from, but rather it is a catalyst for personal change.

I know a lot of people like positivity, but for me, all of this perceived 'negativity' is what keeps me away from the pizzeria and the pastry cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin
Sorry -- but I have an irresistible compulsion to do things that I'm told not to do... So I had to tell you what you should do.
You are my kind of people - Free to ignore the letter of my words because you comprehend and respect the spirit in which they were spoken. A smart alec, but with an emphasis on the first bit

Seriously, I want to thank all of you for your kind introductions. I'm sorry I couldn't get back to all of you individually - you're answering faster than I can reply. But I do appreciate each of your responses.

I look forward to not having to defend eggs.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
I think I just needed to hunt around a bit to find the right place. A lot of those guys were the kind who know that the only one way to give 110% in fitness is to cheat (if you catch my drift).
It sounds like you have been exposed to broscientists. As a woman, I have not had training in broscience, but all my girlfriends are qualified nutritionists who got their degrees by reading Cosmo and Shape, so I feel ya.

Quote:
I know a lot of people like positivity, but for me, all of this perceived 'negativity' is what keeps me away from the pizzeria and the pastry cart.
Honestly, I found it upsetting to read the ways you describe yourself. I know it's just funny self-deprecation and you do seem to have some self-compassion, but come on. Negative reenforcement is so... negative. Thinking about kittens and rainbows is also a good way to stay away from pizzas and pastries.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #23
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
It’s great to see another Tucsonan on the forum.
I move there on Nov 7 for a new job. Coming in from Seattle.

Just in case people aren't familiar with the differences of climate between Seattle and Tucson:

Tomorrow Tucson will have a high of 88, and a low of 56.

Meanwhile, the HIGH in Seattle will be right around 55.

I'm SO looking forward to this move.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I don't want to diminish the accomplishments or challenges faced by anyone here (or anywhere else), but every time someone who's never seen the dark side of 165 tells me how they're struggling with their weight, or that they 'know how I feel', there is a part of me that wants to assault them vigorously with a bezelling planisher. It's one thing to think that you are a massive hideous chud, but it is another thing entirely to be made unequivocally certain of it by others.

I totally agree with you on this! Even most overweight people don't know what its like to have to loose half their bodyweight to even be considered "just fat". My highest was 311#, and had I not fell victim to the "get skinny quick" diet pill that came out a few years ago (not gonna mention its name) I probably would have hit 400#+. I've managed to get down to 273, but according to my doctor I should weight 140#, which means I still have to loose another 133#s just to be considered at a "normal healthy weight."

Start Weight:296/281.0/150.0

No more fat roll hanging over my ring!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #25
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiegoat2000 View Post
I totally agree with you on this! Even most overweight people don't know what its like to have to loose half their bodyweight to even be considered "just fat". My highest was 311#, and had I not fell victim to the "get skinny quick" diet pill that came out a few years ago (not gonna mention its name) I probably would have hit 400#+. I've managed to get down to 273, but according to my doctor I should weight 140#, which means I still have to loose another 133#s just to be considered at a "normal healthy weight."
Thanks, ZG2k!

It's definitely a weird gig, getting into proper fatness. I weighed 145 forever, and then I moved to Alaska, and my metabolism completely gave up on me. 50 degrees below zero is no joke.

I started gaining 20 pounds a year. No big deal at first. 150, 170... what's the difference?

And 40 pounds was no big deal. that's two years

Three years 60 pounds... 210, it's not so bad. only 20 worse than the previous year.

100 pounds!?! That's 5 years. I guess 250 isn't so bad either. I'd like to be a bit skinnier, but food tastes good, and walking isn't fun anymore.

Now it's 10 years later, and I hit 344 before making a change. I'm down to about 326 in the first month despite a few bumps in the road (hard to stay low carb when you're travelling and eating other people's food. Impossible to stay low carb when you're killing beers at a week long celebration in your honor. I counted it as a planned deviation, and I'm back on the path).

I don't remember becoming fat. It was all so gradual. I went from the skinniest dude I knew to the fattest in 10 years. I was busy working on other things. Each year I pick one thing to improve. This year it's weight, two years ago I quit smoking, five years ago I went to school... Each year I find one personal fault and repair it.

I'm glad to be among friends, and I look forward to chronicling my progress (and pitfalls).

Just to bring it all up to date, here is my progress since the beginning of my low carb experience.

The blue line represents measured weight. The red line represents a projected 2.5 lbs weight loss per week. the green line represents the linear trend of my measured results. Right now that trend is skewed high because of saying goodbye to my friends for a week.

It's not too hard to spot the bar nights - or non LC travelling. Moving to Tucson will cut out a great deal of that. Bowling and golf are going to be my vices for a while.

But even as it is, the long term trend is moving in the right direction - staying in line with the projection, staying remarkably consistent with my projected 2.5 lbs per week - even with my less than perfect performance.

The lack of progress over the last few weeks doesn't worry me because it has been accounted for. I can explain the pattern.

After Thanksgiving, it's smooth sailing.

Both the trendline and the wild guess projection put me under 300 in January of 2013. I'm going to try to hit that mark in December. If I don't, it will be because I am gaining weight from exercise too quickly to lose weight. I'm ok with that. This isn't just about getting skinny. I want to improve my overall health on the way down.

ug... there I go rambling again.

Anyway, I've brought it up to date so from here on out it should be new stuff.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Ypur projections look great! Its hard for me to stay lc but I try my best and I dont kick myself if I eat off plan, but I don't overdo it either. You got to have common sense to do this WOE, but like they say "Common sense aint so common"

Like I have stated in previous post I dont believe in talking crap about myself or others. I have a realistic approach about myself. I know Im fat, I sure as heck dont want or need others telling me that Im fat! However, I just love it when people tell me "you have such a pretty face, if only you werent so heavy..." (My aunts fav line), or whenever I tell people how much I weight (I dont lie about it) they put on this fake/shock face and ay "you carry it well" Please tell that crap to someone who has low self esteem and needs constant pats on the back to feel good about themselves!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #27
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ypur projections look great!
Thanks! I've really worked to make sure that my projection zone (the space between the projection and the trend) is an accurate predictor of my likely progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiegoat2000
Like I have stated in previous post I dont believe in talking crap about myself or others.
It's my way to make fun of myself. First of all, I know I'm kidding. Secondly, I make me laugh - and laughter is one of the few real joys that remain in my life. Finally, there's no one alive who can shred me half as well as I can.

Quote:
I just love it when people tell me "you have such a pretty face, if only you werent so heavy..." (My aunts fav line), or whenever I tell people how much I weight (I dont lie about it) they put on this fake/shock face and ay "you carry it well" Please tell that crap to someone who has low self esteem and needs constant pats on the back to feel good about themselves!
Exactly. I'm a big dude. there's no missing it. Don't insult my intelligence by pretending that you thought I was going to float away because of malnourishment. My list of attributes don't end at "fat", so I don't base my self-worth on it.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
YES! The chart!! I love it.

Charting my weight has saved my sanity in times of despair (ie: slow weight loss/weight gain)

I swear, charting is the key to success.

I've got a lot of things -- including bad knees that sometime swell (and I've had a hurricane offshore this weekend, throwing me into a wheelchair!), (formerly) a gym membership causing me to gain muscle mass, and the normal "girlie issues". But even with a gain on a bad day, where I was in a place to look at it, compare it to yesterday, and feel crappy(er) about myself, I could look at my graph, and see HOW MUCH BETTER this "high" number was than a month ago. That I'm moving in the right direction, that the trend is DOWN... that it's working.

I "get" the self-roasting, too. I spent about 2 years in an online situation where "The Griffin is OLD"-jokes were the norm. (This expanded to include mean and ugly.) Folks had to be careful, tossing them out, that I didn't top them, and one time my son did, all unknowing. The "She's so old" jokes were flying, fast and furious, when I overheard the following conversation in the livingroom:

5-year old son: Daddy, how old is the earth?
Hubby, obviously caught off-guard, and unsure of the answer: Billions and billions of years old.
5-year old son, sounding awed: WOW!.... [a pause] Is that even older than mommy?

I swear, kid couldn't have timed it better if he'd done it on purpose!

And a lot of folks would "come into" our little community, or see it from just beyond the edges, and think folks were being mean to me. One fellow, initially, was offended, because he happened to have been breathing a good 22 years longer than I am, so if I were old, what did that make him? We explained that I was old so no one else every had to be... And that fellow became one of my best roasters, commenting not just on my age but my facial hair (my beard is braided, not combed, if you must know) and personal hygiene.
The "insults" all came from a place of love and affection... And made me pretty much immune when some jerks later tried to ACTUALLY insult me. They really weren't very good or creative -- My friends and I sat around looking disappointed that THAT was the best they could come up with.

So yes, Your Massiveness, I understand your penchant for Cyrano-like self-deprecation!

(Actually, can't remember if that was really Cyrano -- I'm picturing the scene from Roxanne.)

Of course, part of my perceived "old age" came from FEELING old... and I felt old because of my knees, which (no joking!) had a 97-year-old crippled lady beating me at a "foot race". (We were both heading to the pool at the gym, to do our water-therapy... And I had to "pull over" to let her by. Which is something I wouldn't have understood before I owned my own cane.)

And dropping a TINY fraction of what you have to lose? Has done SO much to improve my knee-health. I may have used a wheelchair yesterday, but I could beat that little old lady, NO problem! ~laughing, but on another level dead serious~ And this is BY FAR the worst my knees have been in a year. And it's not nearly as bad as when I was at full weight.

Let's not get into the way my face and body have changed. I ran across a picture of myself, last September, and was really kinda horrified to see myself. (Worse, my hubby had JUST reconciled with his mother, and the offending photo was in a batch of pictures of the kids we'd just sent her. I didn't need my mother-in-law seeing that!) Not only did I look big as a bus, my knee was grotesquely swollen, and my face had this etched-in look of pain. I looked miserable.

You didn't get fat overnight, and you won't get thin overnight... But it sounds like you're in it for the long haul, have realistic goals, and a plan to get you there!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Scott
Stats: 265/260/225
WOE: atkins
Start Date: september 2012
Sadly I've found health professionals, whether it is doctors or even nutritionists, to be the worste about pushing the wrong way of eating on people and even saying that low carb is wrong even if it is working. These people are supposed to be helping others but instead push something as stupid as the food pyramid (which is upside down) in your face. At least there is this forum with alot of good info.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
This is the best thread EVAR!!!

Dr.Avery, welcome to you! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts. Your sense of humor and honesty were quite refreshing and elicited more than a few giggles.

You will find many of us on this forum that are sick and tired of being told by others what we need to do in order to lose weight. And while I may not have been at the "large" end of the scale like some members are - or have been - it drove me insane when my 100lb friends would tell me that if I "got off my ass" and walked around the block a few times, the weight would drop off. I may only have a small animals amount of weight to lose, but I was still angered by thoughtless comments. This is a great place, filled with friendly, like-minded people who will always have your back. It's my first stop of the day, and many of the posts I read give me motivation and strength to continue through the day. It has been through this forum that I have gained the most knowledge about the benefits of low carbing, and I find it in invaluable source of information. Take what information you agree with, and leave behind that which you don't. No-one will judge you for that.

Enjoy your stay here, and looking forward to reading all of your future posts about your journey to health and weight loss.