Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnF
Stats: W:218/172/165 - H:5'9.5" - Age 55
WOE: LC
Start Date: July 28, 2012
I think you will be reporting a new loss very soon. Oh, and I fixed the charts! YAY! Thanks again for sharing, Z!
AnnF is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Terri B
Stats: 295/220/190 6'0"
WOE: LC/I.F.
Start Date: 4/26/12
Jumping on your thread. Fun to read! totally relatable!
Terri B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
There are just times when your body is going to pause from losing weight by the scale. Many people find that during this time they often lose inches even though the scale is not moving. Get out your tape measure and measure every month, you'll be amazed where you are losing inches. Your measurement changes over time will look good in your metrics.

I personally can have a pause of up to three weeks with the scale not moving seemingly for no reason. I stick to my plan and then all of a sudden will start losing again. I think sticking to basics is a good idea before you go changing and doing something drastic. If you do want to do a day of higher carbs do it with veggies and legumes, not refined starchy carbs or junk. One or two days a week I like to up my good carbs a bit by adding salads and veggies.

Making your lunches will assure you know what you are eating. In addition it usually saves money. I just cooked a pork shoulder in a crock pot last night,,,yummo. If you are doing lots of meat a crack pot is a great investment and time saver.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #244
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
I don't like that we call our respective diets "WOE".

I'll bet you even pronounce it 'woe'. We all know it means 'Way of Eating', but we're associating our dietary lifestyles with grief and sadness and regret... that's no good. There's a lot of subconscious power in language like this...

I think we need to start working on some better acronyms. For example:

ALIVE (A Lifestyle of Ingesting Vegetables and Eggs)
GRIN (Grains Restricted In Noshing)
PROUD (PROtein Unlimited Diet)
WISE (Wheat Inhibited Super Eating)
FIND (Fat Increased Nutritional Diet)
ECLAIR (Excess Carbohydrate Accession In Removal)
FOCUS (Fat Optimized Carbohydrate Undermining Strategy)

I'm not saying any of these are any good, but ANYTHING is better than WOE!

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Z, I love these new acronyms! ECLAIR made me laugh quite hard!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Velvet
Stats: 220/193.8/ goal 150
WOE: Low Carb / dr. Frank
Start Date: okt 2012
I vote for Grin!
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #247
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailyGail View Post
Z, I love these new acronyms! ECLAIR made me laugh quite hard!
It does possess a subtle kind of a meta-ironic sarcasm.
_____

I hate December. The unmerited merriment, and the terrible off-key music tortured by children around the world. I hate being so far from home. Not home the place - I've no special love for the geography, or the particular mass of pine and gypsum that constituted the house I lived in - but home, the people.

The person.

It is a necessary evil that keeps me from my wife at this time. I would never allow her to live in this one bedroom tenement, nestled deep in the gunshot ghetto of a city that is notorious for intense poverty and desperation coupled with an equally intense disregard for the happiness and well-being of others. The Doppler effect could never have been discovered in this location, because the sirens approach, but they never pass. They just stop. Right here.

I hate that my company has required me to take every risk, and shoulder every cost - and yet has made no concession to compensate for my willingness to make an interview at less than a weeks notice from 1500 miles away. I paid for the trip to and from the interview, and I am paying my relocation entirely out of pocket, while starting with nothing. For my first few weeks before I found my apartment I had to endure living with one of the most deeply vile people I've ever met, who regularly brings a methamphetamine addict into his home -- You know, to hang out with my stuff unattended all day while I'm at work. And while I am genuinely and deeply grateful of the fact that he helped me get set up down here, it was nonetheless an ordeal that made living in this asbestos-rich hovel (I had to sign waivers) seem like a breath of fresh air.

And now it turns out that they won't be paying the 10% shift differential I was explicitly promised until mid-january.

Again, I have assumed the cost of every risk with this job, and the only concession I ask is that I be paid what I agreed to - not two months later, but now and retroactively for the last two week pay period.

I'm not a mercenary. This isn't about money. It is about being able to reunify my family. 10% throws off all of my calculations, pushing the move date back to March, possibly even April. That's nearly half a year away from my wife of 14 years.

And so, I will present them with a rational decision:

They will find a way to pay me what I was promised - the payment upon which I based my decision to work with this organization - or I will quit, on the spot and without hesitation or malice, and the 5 weeks of very costly training they've spent on me will evaporate into a lost cost with no return.

I win, either way.

If they refuse, I collect my final check, and am reunited with my wife by the end of the week. If they agree, my savings program is back on track and my wife will be down by February.

They, on the other hand, stand to gain more by remitting what is ultimately only a few hundred dollars to protect an investment of tens of thousands of dollars. Remember - this kicks in mid-January, either way. The total cost to them works out to about $650 - spread out over 2.5 months, if you consider it retroactively. Considering total compensation, benefits and wages - I cost them $650 every couple days. It's little more than a symbolic gesture that they're willing to meet me halfway.

The win/loss matrix is firmly in my favor.

I hate December. There will be 1000 people asking me what I'm doing on Christmas. I'm going to sit in an empty apartment, listening to the police helicopters overhead, and watching the walls fade to darkness as night overtakes the day. That's what I did for Thanksgiving, too. My birthday is on the 18th. Guess what I'll be doing then.

Here's a song on the subject that makes me laugh.

I would never talk to meatspace people about any of this, because no one likes a downer. But this wouldn't be a true chronicle if I didn't document how the day finds me. They can't all be winners, and right now, every day that passes is less worth living than the day before it. This isn't new territory for me. I've always been depressed - I've never known anything else. But it gets worse when I've got legitimate cause for despair.

On the bright side, one way or another I'll be feeling better about things by the end of today.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Z, I am so sorry about your dreadful living situation and being away from your wife and home for both your birthday and Christmas. You are a very brave and strong person who sacrificed greatly for this career opportunity. Your company needs to pay you what they owe you -- what both parties agreed to originally.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Oh, Z... I have so been there. Stand firm. Your story reminds me of when I moved to NYC on my own... you are very strong to be doing this.

As for Jose Suicidio... I assume you have you watched all of the videos that spawned the songs? I think Henry Phillips is brilliant and I adore the "Henry's Kitchen" series. The deliberately bad film editing... the cringe-worthy "factoids," the little "personal-touch stories," the absolutely abysmal kitchen skills and the over-all sadness of them...
Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Z, for what it's worth, please know that you are surrounded by friendship, love and support on this board. I know it ain't much, but if you need anything, we are here to help and we are on your side. If you can, try to do something fun for your birthday or even just go for a nice long walk or see a movie in the evening. Try to be good to you even though your circumstances are less-than-ideal.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #251
Z
Senior LCF Member

Thanks guys. On a positive note:

299.0 <-first goal achieved

Henry Philips is a genius. He understands comedy at a level that most people don't. He could make a knock knock joke the funniest thing in the world by telling it as badly as possible, and presenting it in the right context. He plays a lot of layers of humor.

Sadly, if you don't dress up in a costume and work puppets or pretend to be a redneck like Dan Whitney the cable guy, then you'll struggle to make it to the next level as a comic. Ease of consumption, I suppose.

So I've hit my goal. And the sun is shining.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #252
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Z, for what it's worth, please know that you are surrounded by friendship, love and support on this board. I know it ain't much, but if you need anything, we are here to help and we are on your side. If you can, try to do something fun for your birthday or even just go for a nice long walk or see a movie in the evening. Try to be good to you even though your circumstances are less-than-ideal.
Thanks GailyGail.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Hi Z:

Just thought I'd stop by and say congratulations on meeting your goal. I'm still amazed at how easily men lose versus women...drat.

I also feel for you regarding your job. I'm having issues with my employer at the moment for similar reasons. Sometimes you JUST HAVE TO stand up for yourself. It's harder for me because I'm a woman and my boss (business owner) believes that women are lower than men (cultural).

It's very difficult to work in this atmosphere, especially around raise review time because standing up for myself is verboten and if I do, I'm automatically treated as the office pariah. Luckily, most people here like me...but still.

Just sending some positive energy your way--I know how it feels to be away from the person you love, too. My husband and I lived apart for 4 years before getting married. Trust me when I say we don't EVER take each other for granted....

I can do this! I prove it EVERY DAY when I avoid sugar...

October 27, 2013 :: ONE YEAR BINGE free!

Progress photos posted on my blog!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Terri B
Stats: 295/220/190 6'0"
WOE: LC/I.F.
Start Date: 4/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
Z. . . small victories. .

Congrats! I know how good it feels to get out of the 3's.. Nothing but amazement in your future!
Terri B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
Thanks guys. On a positive note:

299.0 <-first goal achieved

Henry Philips is a genius. He understands comedy at a level that most people don't. He could make a knock knock joke the funniest thing in the world by telling it as badly as possible, and presenting it in the right context. He plays a lot of layers of humor.

Sadly, if you don't dress up in a costume and work puppets or pretend to be a redneck like Dan Whitney the cable guy, then you'll struggle to make it to the next level as a comic. Ease of consumption, I suppose.

Hooray! I knew you'd get there!

I am so glad to meet another Henry Phillips fan! Speaking of comedy out of misery, have you seen the BBC Misery Bear series? They're on the tube.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #256
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnF View Post
Hooray! I knew you'd get there!

I am so glad to meet another Henry Phillips fan! Speaking of comedy out of misery, have you seen the BBC Misery Bear series? They're on the tube.
I will have seen it in the very near future.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Z, congrats on meeting your goal! When you get to below 300 lbs the sun really does shine brighter that day.

Sometimes in companies the right hand does not know what the left hand promised. I would gather all you emails and papers that show the shift differential that was promised to you and get your supervisor and an HR person together and meet with them. Tell them you like the job and want to stay otherwise you would not have invested so much of your own money and personal sacrifice to work for them. I think if you show them the numbers of what they promised you and that it is not that much to them but it means a lot to you, perhaps they will side with you.

I wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I just had a crappy birthday myself on Sunday spent at the hospital with my BF's 92 year old mother who has a compound fracture of her leg and she was a total bi**h to me. I was so pissed off because I spent 12 hours a day for the last week sitting next to her bed holding her freaking hand during the pain and helped do everything to feed her and wipe her butt. I am hoping your birthday is better than mine, it just has to beat seeing a wrinkly nonagenarian's a$$.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #258
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
Z, congrats on meeting your goal! When you get to below 300 lbs the sun really does shine brighter that day.

Sometimes in companies the right hand does not know what the left hand promised. I would gather all you emails and papers that show the shift differential that was promised to you and get your supervisor and an HR person together and meet with them. Tell them you like the job and want to stay otherwise you would not have invested so much of your own money and personal sacrifice to work for them. I think if you show them the numbers of what they promised you and that it is not that much to them but it means a lot to you, perhaps they will side with you.

I wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I just had a crappy birthday myself on Sunday spent at the hospital with my BF's 92 year old mother who has a compound fracture of her leg and she was a total bi**h to me. I was so pissed off because I spent 12 hours a day for the last week sitting next to her bed holding her freaking hand during the pain and helped do everything to feed her and wipe her butt. I am hoping your birthday is better than mine, it just has to beat seeing a wrinkly nonagenarian's a$$.
Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that. As bad as that must have been, it's even worse when you're treated like crap for being a decent human being.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Z, you know life gets in the way sometimes. I decided to laugh about it and move on. But I certainly think that you should have a wonderful day today, it is a celebration of your accomplishments of the last year and the possibilities of the upcoming year. Like Gail said be good to yourself, you deserve love and kindness even from yourself. This next year is going to be such a great roller coaster with your weight loss, it could be your best year ever!

Can you skype or video chat with your wife and family? Perhaps that will soften the blow of being far away from them.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Birthday Z! Hope you have your best year ever.

Frankie, ugh, sorry about your awful experience. I hope your BF knows how lucky he is to have you.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #261
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Happy Birthday Z! Hope you have your best year ever.
Thanks.

Last edited by Z; 12-18-2012 at 01:42 AM..
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

, dear Z!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #263
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SwedishMimi
Hi Shark, I really enjoyed that thoughtful post...by thoughtful, I mean it made me think. My experience is very your different from yours, and I've never been morbidly obese, but as I get along into my 40's, it does seem to be more difficult not to pack on the lbs. Sometimes, it's because I'm overeating, due to carb cravings, so I am currently trying this fat fast, keeping the calories to 1000 approx. This is really an experiment for me to see if increasing fat will help with cravings. So far, so good, which brings me back to your experience, and I whole heartedly agree that no one else has the right to tell you what diet works for you. If a low carb, high fat diet works, when nothing else does...then it must be right for you! Lycka Till (as my Swedish husband would say
SwedishMimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
COngratulations on the birthday and meeting your first huge goal!!!!!

We are proud of and happy for you!!!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #265
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMimi View Post
Hi Shark, I really enjoyed that thoughtful post...by thoughtful, I mean it made me think. My experience is very your different from yours, and I've never been morbidly obese, but as I get along into my 40's, it does seem to be more difficult not to pack on the lbs. Sometimes, it's because I'm overeating, due to carb cravings, so I am currently trying this fat fast, keeping the calories to 1000 approx. This is really an experiment for me to see if increasing fat will help with cravings. So far, so good, which brings me back to your experience, and I whole heartedly agree that no one else has the right to tell you what diet works for you. If a low carb, high fat diet works, when nothing else does...then it must be right for you! Lycka Till (as my Swedish husband would say
Tack så mycket!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Just coming back to this thread, catching up...

Having recently relocated, I can so sympathize with your plight. Like you, we had to move ourselves -- out of pocket, and with VERY little lead-time. We looked at the possibility of my husband coming out first, but it wasn't viable. And we got out here and... he hates his job. LUCKILY, our housing-situation is good. (We had some friends look out for us on that one), and he's actively interviewing other places right now. (He's a contractor. His contract is up on Monday, and he's not going to sign on... though he will continue working until he has another position, if they'll have him. Which they will, because they recognize he's much better than anyone else they've got.)

But I can't imagine being apart from my husband as long as you have, only to discover I may have to wait longer than planned to get him back. Uh-uh. All the Skype in the world won't make up for him not BEING there.

Happy Birthday, and congratz on breaking goal!

I'm hoping the work thing is resolved by now... and in your favor.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #267
Z
Senior LCF Member

So I talked to my boss today about the shift differential, presented my problem in a rational and non-blame-seeking manner, and offered her some potential solutions that would allow me to bring my budget back in line with what I had planned for. In return she told me not to bother coming in at noon tomorrow.

Instead I'll be coming in at 1:00 p.m., which qualifies me for shift pay.

I cooked a pork shoulder last night for 12 hours, and then let it rest in the over while I was at work. I came home and prepared it, and now I've got about two or three kilos of smoky bbq style pulled pork.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Well nice! ON both counts!

And man, pulled-pork sounds fabulous. One of these times, I need to NOT immediately slice up my pork-loin into chops (or at least not all the way) and do pulled pork, instead!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #269
Z
Senior LCF Member

I don't know about using loin for pulled pork - too lean. you want the cheapest cut of pork you can find, usually shoulder or boston butt.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats on getting the shift differential! I am guessing the boss saw that you were a rational and hard working person.

Yep a pork loin is way too lean for the crock pott. I did a pork shoulder last week and the meat melts in your mouth and is super juicy. I brown the meat on a pan on all sides first then pop in the slow cooker with a 1/4c wine, a pack of dry onion soup mix, a sliced onion and a can of cream of chicken soup (this sounds gross but it tastes great). I also love a slow roasted pork butt but have not tried one yet as all the ones I see in the store are huge and we'd be eating it forever.