Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #61
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Howdy ho, Dezi.

To be honest, I have no idea how many calories I'm eating. I do know that there's about 1000 calories a day I'm not drinking, between sugared coffee and carbonated soda.

I don't track calories at all. Someday I might hit a point that it becomes necessary to, but I'm finding that high protein and fat are doing wonders for my satiety. I'm not starving myself - I've never had the willpower for that kind of thing.

I eat till I'm full, and then I stop eating. If I get snacky, I'll grab some cheese & maybe some summer sausage. If I get hungry early because I didn't eat a large enough breakfast, I'll eat again.

I think the key for me is to never let myself be hungry.

I make bad decisions when I'm hungry.

yOU wOn't LIkE mE WheN i'M hUnGRy
Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post

I think the key for me is to never let myself be hungry.
That's me!

That's my whole "secret", right there... and also why I'm terrible at recording every bite that goes in my mouth. I know what things I need to track, and I track them... But I eat when I'm hungry, and before I go out. It keeps me from BECOMING hungry and grabbing something I'll regret.

It's one of the keys, I think!
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #63
Z
Senior LCF Member

That's 8 pounds in 8 days.

Hot dog!

Last edited by Z; 11-02-2012 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Grammatical clarification
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

You go!

Man, I've been "stalled" the last couple days, I'm getting jealous! Not seriously, -- I'll drop again soon.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
Quote:

That's 8 pounds in 8 days.

Hot dog!
I just love how men can drop weight quicker than women.

...but seriously---good for you!
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Great job!
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #67
Z
Senior LCF Member

It has ever been my goal to maintain an honest and public chronicle of my journey. In recent days, I have come to realize that for many, this low carb diet - 'diet'in this context meaning 'the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group' - that this diet is held in most reverent regard for many of its followers. For some, the slightest deviation is the tantamount to abandoning the way of life altogether.

I know that this is not a problem for me. My capacity for structured self-denial has been forged in fires beyond most people's capacity for imagining.

Nonetheless, I have failed to consider how my questions would effect others struggling with these same issues. Honesty is my most highly regarded ideal, but it was never my desire to bring discomfiture or unease to those who have helped me so much. It was unfair of me to untangle the strands of my dilemma before those fighting that same battle between the reluctantly yielding force of past habits and the tenuous, newly minted future of assiduously earned behaviors.

By saddling others with this very personal question, I have wrongly encouraged others to take a stake in that outcome - inviting disappointment that is disproportional to the question at hand.

I realized that I needed to take this conversation away from the Main Lobby.

I will keep all further posts on this matter to this thread, as it is marginally and contextually less public than the Thanksgiving thread. I don't ever want to a source of any kind of stress for anyone here - I'm just not worth it. I stumbled into a landmine of an issue, from which I shall now abdicate.

I still need to be able to be honest for my participation here to hold any value to me.

We celebrated Thanksgiving today, and I took the day off. I threw in some chocolate and two beers - If I'm going to reset my ketosis, I want to make it count. All told, I didn't really go as overboard as some might picture. The chocolate held little interest for me, as it was cloyingly sweet - leaving a powerful aftertaste. Nor did I find myself drawn to bread simply because I could have it.

I had what I wanted, and as of a few hours ago I'm back on plan.

To be clear - this isn't a confession, it is an account. I feel no guilt at enjoying what has become a yearly sacrament with my family. I certainly hope that no one feels let down - but ultimately this was something that meant more than the sum of its carbs. Legitimate or not, every deviation from the path must be documented. That way, should a destructive pattern emerge, it will be evident to everyone who reads - and hopefully to myself.

Now that I've engaged in a planned indulgence, I might as well take this opportunity to make a case study of it.

Water weight is no joke. I woke up this morning at 322. I'll be going to sleep at 327. This is kind of cool, because I know I didn't eat 5 pounds of food. I anticipate that it will take me 4 days to reenter ketosis, and an additional 3 to have lost the weight associated with my day off. The water weight should actually come off pretty quickly. By next Monday at the latest, I anticipate that I will be down to 321.

I'm a little disappointed to have put my weight loss aside for a bit - especially given the rate of loss I was enjoying - but in the grand scheme of things, 7 days is meaningless. Ahead of me is an entire year with no obstructions, no distraction, and no reason to celebrate. An entire year dedicated to work, and fitness.

As for sugar and starch? I don't really miss it.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you chose to enjoy your tradition with your family before you left.

It was increasingly obvious, in the Thanksgiving thread, that it was important to you. I think the thread had value, if for no other reason that making that so clear.

I've noticed the same thing about most chocolate: too sweet. On the other hand, I can now enjoy straight baker's chocolate, with no sweetening. It just tastes like really good dark chocolate to me, and a little goes a long way.

That you are able to step back on-plan again today speaks volumes for your dedication and ultimate success.

One of the reason Thanksgiving IN PARTICULAR can be a pitfall for some is that -- for some -- it's not one day of food. It's several days to a week or more of Thanksgiving leftovers in the fridge, and it can be easier to rationalize having some stuffing if you ALREADY had some yesterday. This may be why it's a "gateway indulgence" for so many.

There's no "guilt" to be attached to this, and no one has a right to feel "let down". You asked advice, made a decision, and stuck to it.

Personally, the only "let down" I would feel is if you gave up on your goal, which you have not.

Try to get a little extra exercise in today. It helps deplete your body's glycogen stores, which will help get you back on track sooner... AND help get rid of that water-weight!
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #69
Z
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Griff.

This may sound strange, but it's no chore to get back on plan. My carpal tunnel is outrageous today, and I think I'm breaking out in hives a bit. Coincidence? I doubt it.

I didn't want to make a bunch of noise in the other thread, because it seemed like people were becoming a bit too invested in the outcome. I realized that the conversation had moved outside of the boundaries of logical discourse, and into the eggshell world of deeply held beliefs.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Yes. I think it was a wise move...

There's a lot of emotional issues on both sides, with this topic...

Personally, I toss around a lot of advice. I figure if a piece looks good, someone will pick it up and use it. And hopefully, if it looks to them like a piece of dren, they'll leave it where it falls and step around it.

Like you -- I stick close to plan because it makes me healthier. And, oh yeah, my pants are loose, which is a nice side-effect. Most of the things that are off-limits, I don't want, because of how they'd make me feel. If I over-do the carbs for any reason, I don't need my keto-sticks or the scale the next morning to tell me: I know within an hour, because I feel like crud.

For me, that's a big part of why I WON'T deviate on Thanksgiving: I really don't want the physical results.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #71
Z
Senior LCF Member

I'm itching like crazy... How could I have gone three and a half decades without knowing that I was allergic to wheat?

No wonder low carb made so much sense.

Save me, eggs!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Hubby used to itch uncontrollably. Like, he couldn't even sit still for a full minute, because of the itching. Actually made sharing a bed kind of a pain at night.

Then, he watched "Sugar: The Bitter Truth", went off soda and actually went thru induction with me and... No more itching!

Not really having the weight to lose, his motivation to stay on-plan with me is really not the greatest. But whenever he gets back to eating this way, he feels a lot better!

And it's easy to "not know" you've got a problem with a given food when you've eaten it your entire life. You accept the discomfort it causes in your body as "normal". My husband thought he might have a skin-condition, and tried to tell me he was topically allergic to all sorts of things -- at one point even blaming cat-dander for his itching. (No, honey -- cat dander is a RESPIRATORY allergen. And you're not sniffling. It contains no chemical capable of penetrating your skin. ~sigh~)

I inadvertently went off-plan a bit yesterday (inadvertent in that my food choices looked pretty "clean", but... it was a restaurant. They'd done things like put little pieced of potato along with the pork in the green beans, sugar in the cole slaw (I always forget about that!) and possibly even in the meat.) So I'm dealing with all the little fallouts from that, including my scale reading almost 2 pounds higher. ~shrugs~ We go "off-plan", in whatever way, for whatever reason... We get back on.

Just get thru this, get it all out of your system, and you'll be back to your old "new" self in a few more days!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
Quote:
I'm itching like crazy... How could I have gone three and a half decades without knowing that I was allergic to wheat?

No wonder low carb made so much sense.

Save me, eggs!
I had no idea that I had a wheat sensitivity because I had no gastrointestinal distress from it. Then I went low carb, and my skin - a problem since forever - immediately cleared up. I had tried every skin cream and cleanser invented, and it was the wheat.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #74
Z
Senior LCF Member

The worst part about it, for me, is that I have isolated myself with having a trendy disease. I can't stand these legions of hypochondriacs who miraculously self-diagnose with literally every latest disease that gets a 30 minute segment on Oprah (or whatever the equivalent of that is now).

I'm the sort of person that'll wait two weeks with a stabbing pain in my back before I'm willing to admit that I might be impaled on a rhinoceros.

"We won't be able to determine the cause of your symptoms until you lose some weight"
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The worst part about it, for me, is that I have isolated myself with having a trendy disease. I can't stand these legions of hypochondriacs who miraculously self-diagnose with literally every latest disease that gets a 30 minute segment on Oprah (or whatever the equivalent of that is now).
Embrace it, dude. It's really handy in restaurants and social situations. I ordered a bunless burger last night, and when I asked to leave off the bun because I can't have gluten, the waiter said, "OK, I'll have them leave the croûtons off the salad as well," without me having to ask. I prefer the label "gluten sensitive" to "obsessive dieter" any day. And when someone offers you something you don't want to eat, saying "No, thanks, I can't have wheat," does not elicit a lecture about healthy whole grains.

Once you eliminate wheat and sugar for medical reasons, there's not much carby crap left for people to try and push on you.

Last edited by KittyMcKnitty; 11-04-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #76
Z
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tip, M'kitty.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #77
Z
Senior LCF Member

329 pounds.

Yeah. I know. It's mostly water weight. I anticipated and expected it. I didn't think it was going to set me backwards quite so far, but I was aware that a temporary reversal was going to be in the cards.

There is no right, and no wrong here - Only decisions and consequences. I was well aware of the price. And now I'm paying it. Except for the incessant itching. I had no fudging clue that I was dealing with an allergy. It's almost like the carbs accelerated my histamine production, causing everything to effect me far more dramatically.

Fortunately, All of this is temporary. The cure?

6 eggs, 2 tbsp of butter, and a pan full of sizzlin' bacon.

I'm still on pace to possibly break into Twoderland before 2013. Certainly before February. That would be nice. I'm really looking forward to hitting fifty pounds down (294). I'm also looking forward to hitting several other, much lower milestones, but one thing at a time.

It's like Axl Rose said "You and I just need a little patience..." Then he proceeded to do all of the heroin. So maybe I won't follow Mr. Rose's example on that one.

Still, he makes a point. If you know the way, and you stick to the path, then on a long enough timeline success is inevitable. Something like that - I don't really read subtext that well.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BecBelle
Stats: 292.2/269.0/145 5ft4in
WOE: Induction
Start Date: Repeat Offender-Original Start 09/03/10
Z,
I'm a fellow itcher. Just a little sugar does it to me. It's one of the many things that has driven back on the wagon. It had gotten to the point where I was slathering on Gold Bond creme everynight just so I could sleep.

Patience is hard, hard thing for me. Impatience was part of my last derailment.

I'm not gonna tell you hang in there, I'm just going to say ant-itch creme gets expensive and feels nasty.

Last edited by BecBelle; 11-05-2012 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: spelling abreviation
BecBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #79
Z
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for stopping by, BecBelle!

I don't mind so much. The good news is that it was a planned family event, and not a failing of willpower. I have kept to plan and returned to my less than 20 carbs a day (with a secret 10 invisible carb buffer to account for mislabeling, rounding errors, and misjudging the weight of produce).

I'm hoping it won't produce a full induction flu type event, but even if it does - I've got two weeks before I've got anywhere special to be. Besides - a little suffering builds character. I am looking forward to dropping that water weight all at once, and picking up where I left off.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NH_Free
Stats: 153.5/125 (oops)/120ish
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: Feb.19, 2012
Z (changed your handle, I gather) - hope you don't mind if I lurk here. I've been laughing out loud at your great sense of humor. I think you could give Dave Barry a run for his money. Possibly even the Mogambo Guru.

Glad to hear you did well with your Thanksgiving eats. I was feeling kind of bad for you that you had to move away to AZ, but now I see it's a good thing. I wish you lots of luck and success there!

ETA: thanks for the "quit smoking" analysis. Just looking at the numbers gave me some hope that I might actually be able to manage it.

Last edited by NH_Free; 11-05-2012 at 02:48 PM..
NH_Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #81
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Free View Post
Z (changed your handle, I gather) - hope you don't mind if I lurk here. I've been laughing out loud at your great sense of humor. I think you could give Dave Barry a run for his money. Possibly even the Mogambo Guru.

Glad to hear you did well with your Thanksgiving eats. I was feeling kind of bad for you that you had to move away to AZ, but now I see it's a good thing. I wish you lots of luck and success there!

ETA: thanks for the "quit smoking" analysis. Just looking at the numbers gave me some hope that I might actually be able to manage it.
Thanks for stopping by, NH Free!

I'm going to venture a guess that NH means New Hampshire. In which case, "free" really beats the alternative OK, so it doesn't make me Sherlock Holmes to figure out that brain teaser, still it's fun to unravel the code.

It was requested of me that I choose a name that doesn't imply a background in medicine - an outstanding idea, because I don't have a background in medicine. I always thought of it as more of a captain kangaroo deal, where no one would ever assume that I had a legitimate credential - but then I've been a regular at most places I frequent for too many years to remember. I certainly wouldn't want any advice I tender to be misconstrued as qualified, professional, or even sound. It's an awkward transition for me, because I've used that same name for longer than most people have been on the Internet. Fortunately, I have a backup name, and the kind folks behind the curtain at LCF here were able to facilitate my preferred secondary handle.

I'm glad that you've enjoyed my sense of humor. I find that life is far too serious to be taken seriously. A good joke every so often is just enough to keep me treading water. And I'm glad that you're reading my stuff. I figure, if we don't share openly of ourselves, and of our journey - what's the point?

As for the smoking thing, if you can muscle through 2 weeks, the rest is infinitely easier. Don't get me wrong - it's still hard. But the first two weeks are far and away the most critical. If you're interested I'll go in there and post some of my more detailed meta-research, with the citations and whatnot. Either way, you'll be ready when you're ready - and not one moment sooner.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #82
Z
Senior LCF Member

All this health food sure is tough. This morning for breakfast I had to eat 5 eggs fried over medium-well in butter and extra virgin olive oil (not the counterfeit stuff from Italy) with fresh garlic and melted smoked gouda cheese. I make a Ancho, Chipotle, White Pepper blend that goes great on the eggs.

And I get people trying to talk me out of LC asking me if I think I can eat like this forever.

And they're right. I just don't know if I'm going to be able to suffer through meals of real, freshly prepared, satisfying, delicious foods all of the time.

Down 3 from yesterday, to 326.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Woo-hoo!

Yesterday I ate deviled eggs all day (I love deviled eggs). I did not once wish for Nabisco 100 calorie packs - or as I call them "hungry pills" - instead.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Z - Yes, NH is for New Hampshire and the Free part is from our state motto (Live Free or Die). It says that on my license plate, which has a moose on it. We're not completely free here, of course, but a lot freer than in NY, which is where I moved from.

No need to dig up the meta-research on the quitting smoking, just seeing that my odds are better than I thought helps a lot. In my two previous attempts, it was at the 2 week mark that I failed! Should've hung in a little longer. I read about a study some years back that claimed that the best way to quit, with the least amount of weight gain, was cold turkey for men and, for women, to gradually cut down until they just quit entirely. So I've worked my way down to less than 1/2 pack a day this summer and I'm just trying to get that a little lower (along with my weight), while I get into the mental place I know I need to be. My will power is pretty strong this year, for some reason. Quite unusual for me, so I need to do it soon.

So AZ looks kind of interesting. I think there's a lot of public land there to explore. I recall reading a blog by some guy who was living out there in his van with his dog. He found an amazing amount of things to do and see.

Last edited by NH_Free; 11-06-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Took me so long to type that, there were 2 new posts. :D
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #85
Z
Senior LCF Member

Whatever you do, don't not live free in New Hampshire. They're pretty serious about that

And it looks like you're already doing all of the right things to prepare. The more you mess with your habit the bigger an advantage you'll have on it when the time comes. I'm finding that beating empty carbs and beating smoking are basically identical. It's a similar kind of struggle - induction flu feels exactly like nicotine withdrawal. The parallels are quite striking.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

I agree. The biggest mistake I made when I quit smoking was that I didn't keep getting back up when I failed. When I failed at LC, I just kept trying.

Congrats on the 3 lbs.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #87
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Free View Post
Congrats on the 3 lbs.
Hahaha - thanks. But really it means I'm still 4 pounds up from this weekend.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AlieKatt
Stats: 272/229.8/150
WOE: Low carb, moderate protein, high fat
Start Date: July 2012
Bravo to you sir- Bravo.
AlieKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AlieKatt
Stats: 272/229.8/150
WOE: Low carb, moderate protein, high fat
Start Date: July 2012
Bravo to you sir - Bravo.
AlieKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #90
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieKatt View Post
Bravo to you sir- Bravo.
I can't imagine what for, but thanks, AlieKatt!