Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #571
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Z, I've been gone for a while, as you know... and WOW, can I see the difference in your face!

Gratz on losing a couple kids-worth of weight! (I think that probably adds up to around two 3rd-graders!) I still need to scroll up to see if you've posted any recent before/after pics. Would LOVE to see what you look like body-wise, 100 lbs lighter! That's just so amazingly wonderful!

I'm back, and will be buckling down and focusing on losses again, after I get back from Thanksgiving. (We're going to be gone from Sunday thru the Tuesday afterwards.) We ended up giving up the gym-membership a while back -- somehow, a payment didn't go through, and so it got cancelled... and we decided not to renew. Good news is we'll also be MOVING, no later than March, and the place we'll be moving to has a pool and a gym. So I can start getting back in "training" again, as well.

All of which means you can expect to start seeing me haunting the boards again, and hopefully we'll be "seeing less" of each other.

I've missed you, and your sarcastic humor, while I've been gone!
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Skimmed back over (just) the last page, and wow... sounds like you've had some tough times.

Sorry it's been hard going, but proud of your determination to FINISH this self-transformation. We didn't get to where we were in a week or even a year. (In my case, it was over a decade.) And it wasn't a straight line. But I believe that you've got what it takes to become what you want to be -- and to stay there.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #573
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
It is wonderful to see you back on the boards, Griff. You're one of my favorite lcf'ers.

Forgive my brevity... In a moving van from Tucson to Portland right now
Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #574
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hoo boy, are you in for a weather shock! From warm AZ to cold, rain, rain, cold...that's Portland right now. Safe travels Z!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #575
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
It is wonderful to see you back on the boards, Griff. You're one of my favorite lcf'ers.

I thought I noticed a change in the force. Cold and wet here today. You aren't missing a thing.

Safe journey and let us know when you get there so we won't worry. Oh wait that's what my parents used to tell me. Just have fun.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Wishing you safe travels, Z, and I hope the move goes smoothly!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #577
Z
Senior LCF Member

Made it to Oregon ok. Had to abandon the van, but I was able to get a moving truck and save my stuff.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, hope you are okay! You must be exhausted. Please check in when you are all settled in. Are you happy to be back in the Pacific Northwest or are you mising sunny Arizona already? My brother has lived in Seattle for the past 30 years and will never return to the east coast so there is something magical about the Pacific Northwest for sure. Anyway, hope you are happy and settled soon! xo
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #579
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Glad you made it there safely, Z. Hope you will soon be comfortably settled in. Stay warm!
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #580
Z
Senior LCF Member

So cold....

I missed the Tucsonian weather before I even left.

Made it through Thanksgiving relatively unscathed. I did drop out of ketosis - too much salami, olives, cheese, and summer sausage - but I didn't gain any weight. Now I'm hitting the eggs hard, trying to see if I can get into the 230s before January (spoiler alert - NOT LIKELY!!!). I remain below 250 - which I suppose is commendable in and of itself, given my starting point - but I would not have made it this far if 'good enough' was good enough.

I don't want to be complacent with my progress. Complacency is the well-meaning friend with the inept advice. Complacency is the little whisper that gives you permission to forget your goals 'just for today'. Complacency curls into failure like a warm familiar blanket. Complacency is the bald-faced thief that robs so many of success, by quietly sapping their will to persevere.

Instead I hold to ambition. Ambition sees the future - and the road which leads to it. Ambition says 'no' to the cake - then later it says 'no' to rewarding yourself with a different cake for saying 'no' to that cake. Ambition tells you that you can do one more set. Ambition drinks water when there's thirty kinds of juice on the table that you've never even heard of. Ambition eats more eggs. Ambition cooks its own meals. Ambition doesn't cheat. Ambition plans ahead. Ambition knows that no matter how good now is, tomorrow could be better. Ambition always expects your best: Not yesterday's best - Today's best, which ambition expects to be even better. Ambition feels the sting of failure acutely, and takes responsibility, ownership, culpability, liability and accountability for both failure and success.

It was complacency that brought me to my lowest point a little over a year ago: Too weak to stand from the floor. Too fat to be taken seriously by others. Too tired to concentrate. Too depressed to do anything about it. Too beaten by life to believe that I could do anything about it.

With ambition, I choose where I go from here. I write my own ticket. I am no longer subject to the whims of the universe. I AM the force for change in my life. By taking that responsibility, I take the power to change myself, and my situation.

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.

Year-end Mega Challenge!

Last edited by Z; 12-04-2013 at 02:47 AM..
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #581
Major LCF Poster!

Excellent post Z, as always. I need to keep your views on ambition in the front and center of my mind.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammi
Stats: 261/225/140
Start Date: July 2013
I wrote AMBITION on my large fridge calendar where I will constantly see it!
Sammi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #583
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Thanks for the reminder about complacency. Vigilance is key.
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #584
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: China Doll
Stats: 220.5/211.5/150
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: October 13, 2008
Z, where are you and how are you doing? I miss you and your deft analysis of what is actually motivating you, therefore most of the rest of us. Please let us know that you are okay.

Happy New Year! Let's make 2014 noteworthy.
China Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #585
Major LCF Poster!

Happy New Year Z! Wishing you much happiness and peace wherever you are...
Old 01-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #586
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259/200 next weigh 8/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Hello and Happy New Year! I really enjoyed reading your journal (especially the very first entry - loved it!)

Congrats on your weight loss!
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Come back to us, Z. We miss you. Happy New Year. I hope it will be a good year for you and for all of us.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #588
Z
Senior LCF Member

As I was watching the pre-recorded celebration going on in a city 3000 miles away, I stumbled upon a pattern I'd never noticed before. Every year people get together to celebrate the passage of the old year, and the promise of the new one. And every year, almost every single person will say something along the lines of "it couldn't be any worse than this last year..."

Every year will have its ups and downs, but when we start the year out with an acute memory of all the ways the previous year sucked, how could the next year possibly be any better? It seems more likely that there would be a momentum effect in place - If things sucked before, they will continue to suck. Doesn't it make more sense to reflect on the good things that happened in the previous year, and the efforts we put forward to make them happen? Then we could carry the things forward that have made us more successful.

I think that it's yet another way for people to evade responsibility for their own outcomes. It's the year that was bad - not their efforts that were insufficient. Conditions were never quite right for them to stop smoking / quit drinking / lose weight / get promoted / find inner peace / eat more cheese / learn to yodel / whatever.

The prblem with this mentality, of course, is that the conditions are never quite right for anything. If it is important, we find ways to make them happen despite adversity. Taking the whole year at once is part of the problem. You start out on January 1 with an entire year sprawled out before you. 'I'm going to do it this year' carries about as much weight as 'I'll get to it tomorrow'. Which is to say none at all.

Making this year a great year starts and ends with what we do today. It is this moment, the ever shifting 'now' - the sum of a billion 'nows' that moves us toward or away from the place we want to be.

In this last year I hit the 100lbs down mark, I got promoted with a 10% raise, I started lifting weights, and I stuck with all of the things I have accomplished in previous years. It has been a great year. Even better than the year before it - which was also a great year. And there is no rational justification to believe that this upcoming year will be anything but exceptional. All the pieces are in place. My new job requires more than 50% travel (and I love to travel), and puts me in a position to understand our product - and our clients - in a completely new way. The long-term, positive strategic impact this has on my career arc cannot be overstated.

Every year or so - not necessarily on the first of the year, I choose something to stop and something to start. I'm not going to call it a resolution, because unlike new years resolutions (which carry a 96% rate of failure), I have never failed to follow through on my goals. As I mentioned much earlier in this thread: I don't really do failure.

Quit smoking, lose weight, get promoted, be a nicer person... I've already weeded out all of the classics.

This time around I have decided to quit alcohol. I've had my fun, and I just don't need it anymore. Time spent on alcohol could be spent on something constructive.

Which takes me to 'something to start':

I am committing to spending at least 10 hours per week learning to play guitar. Not merely playing the stuff I already know, but practicing new skills. My ultimate goal is to be road-ready by this time next year.

So here's to a new year: Make it the year you want it to be.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #589
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: China Doll
Stats: 220.5/211.5/150
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: October 13, 2008
Dear Z,

What we think is what we are! Okay, maybe that is an inane thought--but not for me. If you put out an "intention", no matter what it is, you can accomplish what it is. I look forward to your road trip. I'll plan on being there. I'm planning (intending) some goals of my own. One of my goals--intentions--is to have more fun in my life. Wish me well.

So glad that you are back.
China Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #590
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
Make it the year you want it to be.
I am inspired by your posts...better than a motivational speaker seminar!! You've made me pause to consider what I myself might pick as 'something to start'.

You had me at 'Shark Sandwich' (any chance it was inspired by This Is Spinal Tap?...I love that movie)
Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #591
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRoller View Post
I am inspired by your posts...better than a motivational speaker seminar!! You've made me pause to consider what I myself might pick as 'something to start'.

You had me at 'Shark Sandwich' (any chance it was inspired by This Is Spinal Tap?...I love that movie)
Precisely where that comes from, and a direct reference to that album's two word review

I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed my ramblings.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #592
Senior LCF Member

I've been going through and reading different pages of your journal.

I have to say, you have an amazing singing voice!

Also, I found reading your journal much more interesting than catching up on the hours of DVR'd episodes of General Hospital I have sitting in the "recorded programs" folder.

Your writing style reminds me of a cross between William Faulkner and Tennessee Williams, really cool.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #593
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:

Also, I found reading your journal much more interesting than catching up on the hours of DVR'd episodes of General Hospital
Z, I don't know which is more interesting. I'll have to watch a couple of episodes of GH and then read a couple of your journal entries before I can make a decision. Lol

It's great to see you back and with a promotion at your new job. I hope you have great and interesting new year.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #594
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I've been going through and reading different pages of your journal.

I have to say, you have an amazing singing voice!

Also, I found reading your journal much more interesting than catching up on the hours of DVR'd episodes of General Hospital I have sitting in the "recorded programs" folder.

Your writing style reminds me of a cross between William Faulkner and Tennessee Williams, really cool.
Thank you.

For what it's worth, I've never read Tennessee Williams, and I've barely heard of Faulkner (I think he may have been mentioned in Finding Forrester). That probably makes me some kind of fraud - but at least I'm an honest fraud, borne of ignorance. It had never occurred to me that I was a writer at all, precisely because I never imagined it of myself, and certainly never knowingly pursued the craft. I am a musician because I've dedicated years and hours to research, practice, performance, and reflection. It's no accident that I am capable in that respect. But a writer? It's a complete mystery to me that I should be considered such. I would deny this ability out of hand were there not so many people who have insisted otherwise.

I suppose I have the unfair advantage of not being terribly well-read. I've been making an effort to catch up on my Samuel Clemens, but what little spare time I have is largely spent engaged in the high pursuit of observing the insides of my eyelids. Had I been exposed even the most fundamental of requisite reading (Kafka, Salinger, Steinbeck, Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, et al.) I would probably have found a style that demanded emulation - and in emulation I may never have found my own voice. When I was younger I spent far more of my time with Asimov, Heinlein, and Adams than I did with Cervantes or Dumas. Then, as I got older, I found my reading time dominated by technical manuals and wikipedia.

Looking back, I would have to say that it was Webster and Roget who had the greatest impact on my writing style. I was always fascinated by words - their origins, the sounds, and the nuanced shades of meaning they can convey. The words 'scent', 'smell', 'odor' and 'fragrance' all technically mean the same thing, but a fragrance is always a positive thing, whereas odor is universally bad. Candles are scented, perfume is fragranced, smell is neutral and free of judgement, relying on context and personal preferences to place value - and a bathroom requires deodorization. Nothing was ever defragranced or disscented. At best you might find something which is unscented - which is to say that a scent was never applied. No one would ever think to remove a scent from something which is already scented. Otherwise it wouldn't be a scent. it would be a smell, a stink, or an odor. Some words are simply better than others. Sure, the word 'cowardly' conveys the concept, but, the word 'pusillanimous' is infinitely more visceral. The word sounds as effortlessly insulting as a word could possibly sound. Just the fact that it is five syllables long communicates the sort of superior contempt that is usually reserved for only the most irredeemable of dim-witted miscreants.

It is surprising to me every time that someone suggests that my writing is anything more than any other block of haphazard text. I couldn't possibly merit mention alongside a nobel prize winner and a pair of double pulitzers. But if anything I've ever said has been even remotely evocative of the works of those better than myself, it's nice to know I'm fumbling in the right direction.

Thanks.

Last edited by Z; 01-05-2014 at 06:49 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #595
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinytowngoddess
Stats: 270/245/160
WOE: My own version of low-carb
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Z,
I have read this entire thread. Something I almost NEVER do. Your experiences are interesting, and I like the way your mind works. And it's always nice to meet someone else who appreciates words.
Thank you for sharing your life, remotely, with me.

Jean
tinytowngoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytowngoddess View Post
Z, Thank you for sharing your life....
Ditto!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #597
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytowngoddess View Post
Z,
I have read this entire thread. Something I almost NEVER do. Your experiences are interesting, and I like the way your mind works. And it's always nice to meet someone else who appreciates words.
Thank you for sharing your life, remotely, with me.

Jean
Thanks. I'm glad you've enjoyed it.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #598
Z
Senior LCF Member

I'm feeling pretty good about myself these days. Don't worry, that's always a fleeting thing, and I'll be back to industrial strength self-deprication before too long. Nonetheless, I am fairly happy with my progress at the moment. Not just with the weight, but in general. Things are going as well as I might reasonably expect, and everything seems to be falling into place. Sure I'm still 76 pounds overweight, but I've cleared that first century mark, and I'm more than halfway to my goal. I've bought some weights and I'm working out 5 days a week... What can I say, I'm on track right now.

Everything is right there - waiting for me to take it. And there's no mystery. No secret blend or magic ingredient that'll get me there, unless you count butter, or bacon. I've already put in the work to change the habits. I've done the research and I've invested the time. All I have to do now is stay the course.

People will look at something that's a longshot - 1 chance in 200 - and decide that it is impossible. But you have a chance every single day. 365.25 chances a year. Every single day might be the tipping point that puts you over the edge. The day that sets your trajectory and lets you put the whole thing on cruise control. If you're patient, if you work hard every day to achieve a longshot goal, if you stick with it long enough to bite all the way down and do what you know you have to do - then success is inevitable.

More importantly, it's all transferrable. The motivation, the self-discipline, the time spent learning what you're up against and developing a strategy, self-awareness and self-honesty, accountability, and the drive to action - all of that translates to every other aspect of your life. The ability to see when you are sabotaging your own efforts and take corrective action will help you in everything that you do. Demanding a your highest level of performance at all times certainly isn't going to hurt you at work.

This isn't just about losing some weight. This is about losing the broken mentality that lead you to your breaking point in the first place. This is about weeding out the garbage and letting go of the baggage that's been holding you back.

There came a point in my life when I could no longer reconcile the person I was with the person I was supposed to be. I went from working for a Fortune 500 company, to running karaoke shows in a bar three nights a week. I wasn't merely on the bleeding edge of technology - I was the one cutting that edge. I went from 150 to 350. From healthy and agile and active to fat, lazy, and utterly sedentary. The worse it got - the less I managed to care. I became my own favorite punchline. And I deserved it. Every last drop of self-loathing and misery. I deserved it. I allowed failure to define me. I embraced failure and become it's living embodiment.

Why would anyone do that? Because doing something is hard?

That's really no excuse. Being a failure is harder.

One failing at a time, I'm pulling myself out of the hole I dug for myself. And even at the beginning, before I lost a single pound, the fact that I was doing something made all the difference in the world - because you are only a failure when you do nothing at all. 20 pounds lost , or 200 pounds - it doesn't matter. Committing to the change and making it is everything.

I no longer avert my eyes. I've gazed into the abyss of my own failure, and when it gazed back, I laughed. I've cut out my weakness, ruthlessly and without mercy.

"It's hard" is not an excuse not to try. It's a dare to be the person who is crazy enough to succeed.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #599
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
not only a good post, an excellent post.

How many people say "it's too hard" after they ask and you tell them how you have lost weight.

I think you could do motivational seminars, Z. Your insights are wonderful and a lot of us thank you for sharing.

May 2014 be the best year yet!
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #600
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammi
Stats: 261/225/140
Start Date: July 2013
Thank you Z. Another great read.
Sammi is online now   Reply With Quote