Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #541
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
[QUOTE=Z;16646910
I wonder what the next 90 pounds will bring.[/QUOTE]

Smaller pants! Congratulations on the loss. I quoted you a couple of weeks ago, when a friend told me I needed a new belt because the one I had on was bunching the top of my pants all up. When I got home and looked in the mirror I told my wife that I had, what Z on the low carb forum called, hobo pants. I hadn't even noticed. Keep up the good work.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I am really enjoying punching new belt holes and cutting off the excess. Recently I have noted that the waist size keeps going down even though weight has been stalled for a month.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I had a similar moment of happiness this morning when I tried on a pair of slacks I've not been able to wear in quite some time. I was actually expecting them to still be too tight so imagine my pleased surprise when I discovered they not only fit but are a little too loose in the thighs. So that solves my problem about what to wear to dinner tonight and it was a wonderful way to begin the day...which was already off to a good start as the skies have finally cleared and the sun at last returned...and I was able to watch a small deer in the clearing through my kitchen window as I washed the breakfast dishes. I hope you too, Z, have a marvelous Friday.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/224/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
And so it begins.

The leaves now fully engrossed in the colorful dance of their demise, the inescapable briskness of the morning air growing more pronounced with every passing day. Even for the most gifted of denialists, it is clear: Summer is over.
Your writing style reminds me of Anthony Bourdain, which I mean as a compliment, just to be clear.

Congrats on your progress so far! Very inspirational to newbies like myself! Sometimes it seems like successful weight loss is so out of reach that only celebs, people on extreme TV shows, and gym rats can achieve it -- then I find this website where people like you prove me wrong on a daily basis.

I concur. While I actually enjoy the plan itself, it is very frustrating trying to do LC when we live in such a carb-obsessed society. I have to admit sometimes I just insinuate that I'm diabetic so I don't get the weird looks and questions when requesting that my food be prepared differently. Or to make sure they're not just guessing about something having sugar or not. After months of no office treats, my boss has brought my absolute favorite kolaches, and these huge cinnamon rolls, TWICE this week. In his defense, he doesn't know I'm on a low carb diet and may not have done it if he did. I don't know how to break it to him when he's just trying to be nice!

Anyway, just wanted to drop by and say congrats!

:: My Journal ::

Don't give up what you want most, for what you want right now.
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
I have to admit sometimes I just insinuate that I'm diabetic
Me too! and/or gluten free.

Hey Z, WTG!

Did you know, in my mind I call you Zed. I guess you call yourself Zee being American and all. Hope you dont mind
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Z, love your blog! You are so insightful I see you will be moving to PDX soon? Hooray! I don't really know any other LCer's here IRL, though its pretty hip to be gluten-free in this town - though we all know that doesn't mean sugar-free too! Congrats on your losses thus far...steady as she goes!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #547
Z
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Z
Stats: 350/250.0/155
WOE: Permanent Induction
Start Date: September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by br3n View Post
Your writing style reminds me of Anthony Bourdain, which I mean as a compliment, just to be clear.
Thank you for the compliment! It's funny, the number of times people have commented on my writing style. I've never considered myself a writer - much less a writer who has developed a distinctive voice.

It is deeply encouraging to hear this from so many people.

Thanks for stopping by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeetle View Post
Hey Z, WTG!

Did you know, in my mind I call you Zed. I guess you call yourself Zee being American and all. Hope you dont mind
I like the ambiguity of it. I suppose that I say it Zee, but Zed has a nice ring to it. In case you were wondering, Z is short for Zyxomma. Zyxomma is a genus of dragonfly known as duskdarters. It is also the last word in my unabridged dictionary from 1948. Every letter in the word appears in reverse alphabetical order, and it is one of very few words in the English language to include all three of the last three letters of the alphabet in reverse sequence -a list which formerly included the word zyxt, which was the Kentish dialect Middle-English second-person singular past-tense of "to see". However, as 'zyxt' fell out of use in the 1300s, Zyxomma is the only remaining word to satisfy all of these curious parameters.

The importance of this is that I ultimately chose the word as my band name (and later my moniker) for reasons that were etymological as opposed to entomological.

And that pun hooked me on the word for life.

Zee, or Zed, it's all good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_wonderland View Post
Z, love your blog! You are so insightful I see you will be moving to PDX soon? Hooray! I don't really know any other LCer's here IRL, though its pretty hip to be gluten-free in this town - though we all know that doesn't mean sugar-free too! Congrats on your losses thus far...steady as she goes!
Another Rip City Lowcarber! Thanks for stopping by.
8/8/2014: 275 - time to recover lost ground

Shark Sandwich: One man's epic journey from fat to slightly less fat.
Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #548
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
In case you were wondering, Z is short for Zyxomma. Zyxomma is a genus of dragonfly known as duskdarters. It is also the last word in my unabridged dictionary from 1948. Every letter in the word appears in reverse alphabetical order, and it is one of very few words in the English language to include all three of the last three letters of the alphabet in reverse sequence -a list which formerly included the word zyxt, which was the Kentish dialect Middle-English second-person singular past-tense of "to see". However, as 'zyxt' fell out of use in the 1300s, Zyxomma is the only remaining word to satisfy all of these curious parameters.

The importance of this is that I ultimately chose the word as my band name (and later my moniker) for reasons that were etymological as opposed to entomological.

And that pun hooked me on the word for life.
Z, I'm guessing you always win at Scrabble! And probably Trivial Pursuit as well...
Old 10-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #549
Z
Senior LCF Member

0.6 pounds away from 250.
0.6 pounds away from 100 pounds lost.

Somehow I know it'll be another two weeks before I hit that goal. The major milestones have a way of messing with you. At the same time, I don't really care. 99.4 pounds lost is pretty amazing. I would never have guessed it possible.

When I began this diet a little over a year ago, it was not as a 'true believer'. I had heard stories from a friend about his co-workers who lost significant amounts of weight following the dietary principles detailed in Taubes's book, Why We Get Fat.

My friend is no storyteller, but the evidence still came down to "some people my friend knows...". I read the book, and stumbled on the movie Fat Head, around the same time. It all seemed unlikely - I mean... could the entire dietary establishment, the government funded charts, EVERYTHING that I knew to be true about dietary health be wrong?

Not very likely, is it.

And yet there was this competing evidence which seemed to suggest precisely this.

Studies can be faked, and there will always be competing evidence. The only way to know for sure was to do it myself. Having read the book, I plunged in headlong and headfirst - And I operated under the assumption that everything in the book was absolute truth. I would embrace this information as if I believed in it, and follow it literally and without fear.

Butter isn't bad for you - eat more of it.
Sugar and grain is bad for you - don't eat it.
Fruit is garbage - don't eat it.
Counting calories is an unnecessary exercise - don't bother
Exercise is optional - you can lose weight with or without it.

I figured, if I was going to disprove this silly theory, I needed to examine the worst case. The nightmare bacon only diet scenario, so often mocked in the media. So I stepped up to heavy cream, and I started putting butter on everything. lots of butter. I started off eating 8 - 10 eggs per meal, and to this day I can eat 3 pounds of bacon in a single sitting. I hardly ever eat vegetables because I don't like the way most of them taste.

I have been living the Atkin's parody 'moral panic' diet that detractors so openly scoff at -

- And I've lost so close to 100 pounds that is seems silly to mention the .6 pounds separating me from my goal. I entered into this expecting it not to work. It was too gimmicky - too outlandish. Too obviously flawed.

I can see why people fail. It only works when you are 100% on plan. For months at a time. This is not a plan that works for habitual cheaters - but then, no diet works for people who refuse to follow them.

I want this. I want this more than I want a twinkie. I want this more than I want to be able to cheat once every two weeks. I want to reclaim my life. I want to look in the mirror and be proud of what I see looking back at me. I want this more than anything.

And nothing is going to stop me from succeeding.

And that's all it takes to succeed. Wanting long term results more than you want a piece of cheesecake now. Can't live without cheesecake forever? There's nothing wrong with that, but make no mistake - that is a conscious decision to stay the same forever.

You cannot become the new you without giving up the habits that made you the old you.

I'm halfway there. Another year or two and I'll be where I'm trying to get. And when I get there, I will not revert.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
Jolly well done.

And I feel if its going to be a choice of eating eggs and butter from breakfast, or toast and 'table spread', the eggs and butter taste better anyway.

And later on when you're closer to goal, there is a kind of cheesecakes - pretty darn good one - and its low(ish) carb.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #551
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Congratulations, Z. You are truly inspiring.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #552
Z
Senior LCF Member

As of today, 100 pounds lost. All the stuff I said .6 pounds ago still applies.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #553
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
^5
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #554
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
Congratulations !
makrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Absolutely Fan-friggin-tastic. What an achievement. There is probably not another group of people who truly understand and appreciate what you have accomplished.

I totally understand how you felt this was not something that could work: no grains, no fruit, few veggies but add the butter, cream and meat. As someone who had quadruple bypass 13 years ago I started this diet (now a way of life) with much trepidation but I figured nothing else was working so what the heck.

You should be proud of yourself. I have no doubt you will reach your goal. Thanks for sharing you journey with us.

Again congratulations.
I won’t define myself by a disease.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #556
Senior LCF Member

Z, that's amaZing!!! Congrats!
You are an inspiration, KUTGW
Old 11-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #557
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: China Doll
Stats: 220.5/211.5/150
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: October 13, 2008
Congratulations, Z! You are half way to your goal. I don't think that anyone, especially you think that you will not achieve it. As JRW said, this group of people do understand that although you try to make things look easy, it is not the real truth of the matter. Your focus, intellect and sheer determination are an inspiration to us all! We are behind you as you go into the final turn! Good going!
China Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #558
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
Good for you! Congratulations!
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #559
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dejaht
Stats: 97/96/83kg, 5'11.5'', originally 120kg in Aug 2012
Start Date: Restart Nov 2013
Congratulations! What an achievement, you inspire me!
dejaht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #560
Z
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, everyone. It feels great to hit this milestone, and better still to know that I've got so much support here.

If I can do this, anyone can. It's really just a matter of making the decision and sticking with it. Even at that, my last 14 months were hardly perfect. Summer was essentially a lost cause. And parts of spring. On May 30th I was at 266.8. I hit a rough patch and went into freefall, and it took me until September to hit 266 again.

I never quite gave up - I always stayed *mostly* on plan - but during that lost 4 months, I was consistently eating off plan one or two meals a week. And that was enough to keep me out of ketosis - enough to completely stall me and even reverse my progress. It wasn't just summer either. I started October 2012 at 325. I ended October 2012 at 325. I had just moved to Arizona, and I kept making the little mistakes - failing to plan, failing to have control of what I eat...

Add in a handful of other isolated cheats that cost me at least two weeks, each. Thanksgiving, New year's, March - and it turns out that I wasted a more than 6 months that could -have been spent losing weight. I kept stopping the momentum. And yet, despite all of the time that I threw away by being *nearly* on plan, I still managed to lose 28.7% of my total body weight in the 8 months that remained.

And that is the good and the bad of a ketogenic diet: You can lose a tremendous amount of weight over time without resorting to starvation. But the diet is not tolerant of even minor cheats.

Looking at this last year, It's pretty clear that you do not have to be perfect to make this diet work. However, you do have to string together large chunks of perfect compliance. 3 months, 4 months... The more the better. You also have to pay attention to your results, and understand the mechanisms by which your diet operates so that you can make informed adjustments to your approach in order to encourage weight loss.

In the long run, success with ketosis comes down to making a decision and sticking with it. You have to firmly decide that you want to lose weight more than you want [insert favorite food]. Then, you have to follow through on that decision consistently.

The carb addict within us cries out "It's not fair - one cheat day a month shouldn't be so damaging to my progress!"

"It's not fair that other people get to eat whatever they want and stay skinny."

"It's not fair that I can be totally compliant for 90 days and then turn around and lose a month's progress in a single day."

"It's not fair that all of the foods I've had to cut out were all of my favorite foods."

You're right.

The terrible, honest truth is that 'fair' doesn't bring success. Being 'induction perfect' 12 days out of 14 is the same as not being on induction at all, metabolically speaking.

The deck is stacked against many of us. I tried all manner of dieting before I came to LCHF. Rice only, vegetarian, 1200 calories a day, 'one better' dieting (get the chicken sandwich instead of the burger), low fat, et cetera -- I couldn't sustain any of it, no matter how badly I wanted to. This is different if only because I can sustain it. But I must choose to stay on track.

My success or failure is in my hands alone.

Mostly on plan doesn't work for me. So the only thing I can do is want 160 more than I want starch and sugar. I have to want it so much that it completely eclipses my desire for baked goods. I have to want it so much that I turn down even the universally accepted excuses for carbing out.

And I do. I want it so badly that it's all I think about. I want to take my weight completely out of the picture when people are looking at me. I've lost a monumental amount of weight, and it has changed my life. If I had never made it to 350, I might be happy at my current weight. 250 didn't bother me much the first time around. But now, it's not enough to simply be 'not that fat, anymore'. It's not even enough to make it down to 'acceptably normal'. I need to make it all the way back to 'sexy' - or whatever reasonable facsimile thereof rests within the realm of possibility. I've accomplished a great deal towards my physical health goals, but if I don't want to end up a weird lonely old crazy cat-man, I need to do what I can to bolster my social viability.

So I'm going to keep eating my eggs, and I'm going to keep lifting weights. I'm going to keep reading Mark Twain with an outrageous old-timey southern accent in my head. I'm going to keep learning about anything that strikes my interest. I'm going to continue to identify, isolate, and remove my character flaws. I'm going to keep striving to improve myself as a person in what ways are available to me. I'm going to reconcile the gap between the person that I am capable of being, and the person that I am.

This isn't just about weight.

It's about taking control of every aspect of my life.

Last edited by Z; 11-06-2013 at 12:45 AM..
Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #561
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: China Doll
Stats: 220.5/211.5/150
WOE: Crack the Fat Loss Code
Start Date: October 13, 2008
You are amazing. I don't know a single person who is that circumspect andd willing to share their inner thoughts. You are going to reach whatever goal you set for yourself--weight or anything else! That is the most inspirational thing that I have read!
China Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #562
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammi
Stats: 261/225/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
Z,

All I can say is BRAVO!

I love reading your posts. You write our deepest thoughts , which I believe most of us can not express. I hope you realize how encouraging and powerful you are. BRAVO!
Sammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #563
Senior LCF Member

All I can say is "Amen Brother Amen"
Old 11-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #564
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
Amazing, absolutely amazing. You obviosly will reach your goal with the resolve you display!
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #565
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: br3n
Stats: 278/224/158
WOE: 20-30 carbs per day
Start Date: 09/19/13
First of all, congrats on 100 lbs down! That is truly amazing and you should be very proud of yourself.

Second, well said! This process is not always easy, it is not always fair, but it is possible -- you are proof.
br3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #566
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Low Carb Bear
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: November 2013
Hi Z and hi everyone!

I've just joined up and intend to join in with you folks. A really great, supportive bunch.

Z, your thread has been brilliant to read through the last few days and I wanted to show my support for you and to say hello.

Quote:
These aren't foods that I'm choosing not to eat. These are foods I cannot eat: It's not on the menu. I don't eat glass, I don't eat gravel, and I don't eat wheat.
This is from earlier on in this thread, it's a fantastic way of thinking and I would like to adopt it as my motto for getting back on track. So thank you folks, you've all inspired me to join in and get this done.

Z, I hope to keep reading your unique story and intelligent remarks, all the best!
Low Carb Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #567
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Bear View Post
Hi Z and hi everyone!

I've just joined up and intend to join in with you folks. A really great, supportive bunch.

Z, your thread has been brilliant to read through the last few days and I wanted to show my support for you and to say hello.

This is from earlier on in this thread, it's a fantastic way of thinking and I would like to adopt it as my motto for getting back on track. So thank you folks, you've all inspired me to join in and get this done.

Z, I hope to keep reading your unique story and intelligent remarks, all the best!
Thanks for stopping by, and welcome to LCF! It still surprises me to see how many people have stopped by to read my little journal. Do a lot of reading, and learn the mechanisms of how the diet of your choice works, and find ways to stick to it, and you'll do great.

I look forward to seeing more of you around the boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3n View Post
First of all, congrats on 100 lbs down! That is truly amazing and you should be very proud of yourself.

Second, well said! This process is not always easy, it is not always fair, but it is possible -- you are proof.
Thanks, Br3n. I think it's important for people to realize that it is hard, but it's not that hard. If you commit to the lifestyle, and don't cut corners - results are inevitable over the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
Amazing, absolutely amazing. You obviously will reach your goal with the resolve you display!
I sure hope so! Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrw85705 View Post
All I can say is "Amen Brother Amen"
Thanks. I've really enjoyed having people like you around who have already made this journey before me. I mean - you really went all the way back from all the way up - and you've held to it admirably. You might argue that you had to, for health reasons, but there are plenty of people who had to, but did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
Z,

All I can say is BRAVO!

I love reading your posts. You write our deepest thoughts , which I believe most of us can not express. I hope you realize how encouraging and powerful you are. BRAVO!
Thank you, Sammi. The knowledge that so many people have connected with my words give me strength in my most difficult times. It's not just myself I would let down if I should give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Doll View Post
You are amazing. I don't know a single person who is that circumspect andd willing to share their inner thoughts. You are going to reach whatever goal you set for yourself--weight or anything else! That is the most inspirational thing that I have read!
Thanks, China Doll! It has been my hope from the beginning, that by writing in as honest and earnest a manner as possible, and by expressing my true feelings and experiences, no matter how embarrassing or uncomfortable they might be, that my words might one day reach others like myself. People for whom endless positivity feels like a lie. People who have felt marginalized and left out. People who have struggled in silence and solitude. People who have felt alone. Unique in their freakishness. People who have felt weak for allowing themselves to go so far. For letting it continue for so long. People who have taken one too many fat jokes on the chin, because you've got to be a good sport if you want to fit in at all. People who have overcompensated to make up for their perceived inferiority - without ever surpassing that feeling of inferiority. People who have felt shame merely by eating in public. People who have put as much food on their plate at the potluck as anyone else, just so others won't judge them.

It is my hope that by sharing all of it, from bad to better, that people will realize that we are, all of us, the same. That so many of our silent struggles are common among us. That we don't have to be alone.

And that there is a way out.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #568
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/174.5/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Thats it exactly. It works if you stay on plan. Congratulations!
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #569
Z
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
...People who have put as much food on their plate at the potluck as anyone else, just so others won't judge them.
Stupid typos... That was supposed to read:

...People who have put half as much food on their plate at the potluck as anyone else, just so others won't judge them.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #570
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/205 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
Quote:
Stupid typos... That was supposed to read:

...People who have put half as much food on their plate at the potluck as anyone else, just so others won't judge them.
Congrats Z on being a "new centurion"!!
You are looking gr8....one sagittarius to another!!!

You have articulated what my journey has been about....and now, I am finding out that maintenance is another animal entirely! Perhaps we need to collaborate and write a book together!!!

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 11-13-2013 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Sp/add
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote